joined Nov 26, 2017

do I have to wait 2 more years to read chapter 3 in English? lol xD

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@torukoseki
Two years and a third scanlation group. :p

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

The Scottish accent is clever seeing it seems to fit her personality (from what I've seen), but that said, I am an American who has watched a bunch of UK stuff. Just please never do Welsh, I don't think they even understand it.
As for talk of a Midwestern accent, I'm from the Midwest, and I feel the only thing special we do is speak with hard vowels. Oh, and call soda "pop."

About the actual chapter content, ego trip group members seem like the type of folks who enjoy wafting in their own farts and then discussing the brew. That part made me laugh, the only thing that could have made it better is if they threw around the word "synergy" in English.

Thank you for picking this up again and translating! I'm digging it so far.

Img_1317
joined Jan 19, 2015

Nevri posted:

Except Rop said several times how other character comment on her dialect and how it is part of her personality, so yea again nice try on going against majority and ignoring the facts in your favor.

From what I read here, a lot of people, if not the majority, are bothered by the scottish english. Even if I didn't go and read all the comments here before stating my first impression after reading this chapter, I think I'm not "going against the majority".

Anyway, you're not the ultimate expert on translation, everything you state is just your opinions. You're entitled to them as I am to mine. Nobody made you God and because you translated a few doujins you've suddenly become an authority on what people ought to consider a good or a bad translation. Grow up.

YP did it their way but dropped it. Koyuri picked it up so they want to make their own tl choices that they believe are the best to express the original meaning of dialogues. I actually understand the issue of picking up translation after someone and having to decided w/e you keep consistency with it or do your own thing, but still I understand wanting to do things the way you think are better.

LOL. So Koyuri has a right to make their own tl choice and do their own thing even if some people don't like it, but not Mr.Catt? You're so full of shit, it stinks to high-heaven.

There's "respecting the original work" like you advocate and confusing the english readers. The two times I've complained about translation lately are because it made it difficult to understand. MrCatt's translation maybe was wonky, but it didn't impair the understanding. But you've obviously decided that since I didn't criticize him like you, and even encouraged him, I've lost the right to criticize any and all translation. Guess what? I don't care about what you think.

anybody in this thread smoke weed. I mean like. I’m not a fan of the scottish accent either tbh, but that’s probably just my american-centric brain talking. it just felt a bit out of place, especially since YP’s translation of the first chapter used something more southern

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 12:50AM

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

ME JOB

Unnamed
joined Jan 15, 2018

If it's already been asked sorry I missed it! But I've noticed some scans like this mention buying from the artist to support them - but then there's no information on how and where to buy from the artist. Anyone know where I might find that information?

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Don't really like how didn't is "dinnae" just throws me off guard sometimes

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

If it's already been asked sorry I missed it! But I've noticed some scans like this mention buying from the artist to support them - but then there's no information on how and where to buy from the artist. Anyone know where I might find that information?

Just use amazon.co.jp?

Here

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

As for the sexuality of the MC, I don't think she's bi.

As far as we know, she just dated that guy and didn't have sex with him.

Then, she admits herself that she didn't really love him, but that it was an artifice to hide that she was with him out of selfishness for adding a tick to her life-checklist, and she preferred the long distance because she thought it wouldn't be too obvious. But then, she repeatedly invite him to Tokyo (to tie him up more?)

So, I'm not sure we can define her as a lesbian at the moment (2 chapters in). More like aromantic/didn't meet anyone she would have feelings for. By default, she would think it will be eventually a man, but it may well be her roommate in the future.

If later in the story we learn that she had things going with girls when in high-school/college, I would revise my opinion.

As for the accent, she mentions she comes from Kyushu and, according to tvtropes: "It is also regarded as a typical rural accent as well as Tohoku dialect, but Kyushu speakers are often viewed as rough, dynamic and stubborn.", which would fit her personality. In the end, I still think that the first chapter was an easier read than chapter 2, even if the accent is "translated" in both.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

As far as we know, she just dated that guy and didn't have sex with him.

Heck, even sex isn't an indicator of bisexuality, ironically enough. (I'll save the explanation for the sake of not derailing the thread).

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Arujin posted:

I'm not sure what the story behind it is, but I somehow doubt the original feels as hamfisted as this.

You are right. Original is even worse.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Well, if the translation is going for accuracy (in this case, trying to emulate the difference between Hakata-ben vs. regular Japanese and Scottish English vs. American English), I'd say the Scottish accent is serving its purpose. If the translation is aiming for readability (for non-native English speakers in particular - I'm positive that very few native speakers are unable to adapt to the Scottish accent), then the accent should be replaced. (I mean, seriously, how many native English speakers need a glossary for like, 6 words written out in Scottish?). And iirc, Nanami only speaks in Hakata-ben when she's drunk, thinking to herself, or talking to Kaede. Otherwise, she speaks regular Japanese.

In the end, I don't think this should be a decision that a group of maybe ~10 people on some forum should be making. Ultimately, it's up to the scanlators to decide if they want to preserve authenticity and accuracy over readability or not, especially because, well, we only know how like, 10 people at best feel about this, lol (out of, perhaps, a thousand or so non-bot views per release on this site). I don't think any of us get to make the call in the end.

... But that's just me. I'd personally be a little sad if Nanami was stripped of one of her only redeeming qualities ;( Justice for Hakata-ben! :')

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 7:01AM

joined Feb 21, 2018

I'm pretty sure you're making some impressive leaps in your logic, but you're not really hurting anyone, so I suppose that's fine.

No, leaps in logic at all. Dates boys==straight. Dates girls==lesbian. Dates boys and girls==bisexual. MC says in chapter 2 that she can get a boyfriend or girlfriend. She isnt hiding her bisexuality, why do you feel the need to do it for her?

Its pretty simple, dont know why you feel like over complicating it. Why so against MC being bisexual?

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 7:44AM

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

Well I'm sorry you can't read your manga quickly in 2 minutes, without putting any effort in, and be done with it, when scanlation group spend at least few days actually releasing the damn thing for free. They wouldn't need to do in the first place if people like you didn't complain they have trouble understanding few words and can't even bother to look them up. You want to have everything put on a silver plate when you don't even pay. Yuri forbid something is even little inconvenient for your reading experience.

Lol. I like how you're just assuming things I never said for your own convenient. English is not my first language, so I need time to read a chapter in the first place. An yes, it is inconvenient having a glossary at the end of a chapter and having to switch every page back and forth just to look up words. Not just because of the readebillity but also because I - and I asume others too - have limited amount of data on a mobile phone. And before you come up with crap again: NO, there is not a single provider in my country who provides unlimited data for phones. So loading pages several times is just what it is: a crap idea.

But if you weren't so entitled on your own opinion you maybe would have had the thought, that a glossary stil could be a good idea - just not at the end or the beginning of a chapter, but where the words are actually used. I mean - you think of yourself as a translater so TL-Notes on pages may have come across your work.

You must be fun person to be friends with. Judging people by stereotypes and all.

Right back at you.

Now back to topic: Regarding the story we're 80 pages in now and beside her boyfriend cheating nothing much has happened. Maybe I'll wait for a few chapters and hope something has happened in the meantime. But if there a 7 volumes as of now without much happening, I'll probably have to wait a while...

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 7:45AM

joined Apr 12, 2015

I knew there would be toxic comments here and yet here I am. Lol.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

No, leaps in logic at all. Dates boys==straight. Dates girls==lesbian. Dates boys and girls==bisexual.

That's oversimplifying things. Some bisexuals can marry someone of the same sex without ever going on a date with the opposite sex, and likewise some people can date those from the opposite sex and even have sex and/or children only to later realise that they're gay. Basically bisexuality is something you identify yourself as, not a label for the 99.9% between 100% straight and 100% gay that they can neither be if they so much at glance at more than one gender.

joined Feb 21, 2018

No, leaps in logic at all. Dates boys==straight. Dates girls==lesbian. Dates boys and girls==bisexual.

That's oversimplifying things. Some bisexuals can marry someone of the same sex without ever going on a date with the opposite sex, and likewise some people can date those from the opposite sex and even have sex and/or children only to later realise that they're gay. Basically bisexuality is something you identify yourself as, not a label for the 99.9% between 100% straight and 100% gay that they can neither be if they so much at glance at more than one gender.

Nah, youre just over complicating it. If you are choosing of your own free will to have sex with people of both genders then you are bisexual. If you dated, had sex, married and had a life with someone of the opposite gender you dont magically become 100% gay just because you start a relationship with the same gender after. It is a label for people happily willing to have sex with both genders.

And again, MC literally tells the audience that she can get a boyfriend or girlfriend. She isnt hiding anything, she isnt in denial or under social pressure to force herself to date men. She willingly did it and planned to do it again.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

GOLD STAR LESBIANS ARE THE ONLY REAL LESBIANS.

Amiright?

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

On the bi/Les discussion, just go with whatever your headcanon is, this discussion isn't really being productive at this point.

I rather like the Scottish accent, I find it incredibly charming.

Same. I think it was really well done.

joined Feb 21, 2018

GOLD STAR LESBIANS ARE THE ONLY REAL LESBIANS.

Amiright?

Of course, and bisluts have no place in our ever pure yuri utopia! Even if they are attracted to men they are just confused or being manipulated. They are either lesbians or straight, nothing in between despite their own feelings and desires.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

But that's not what sexuality is. Sexuality is the desire for sexual (and generally by extension also romantic) intimacy with someone, not willingness to have or settle for such.

I have absolutely zero desire for men, whether it be dating or sleeping with them, however I am not fundamentally disgusted by the mere thought of being with a man if it was for reasons that mattered to me, such as if I was weak to the pressure of social norms, or concerned about appearances. Am I "bisexual" as well, I wonder?

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 9:41AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

But that's not what sexuality is. Sexuality is the desire for sexual (and generally by extension also romantic) intimacy with someone, not willingness to have or settle for such.

I have absolutely zero desire for men, whether it be dating or sleeping with them, however I am not fundamentally disgusted by the mere thought of being with a man if it was for reasons that mattered to me, such as if I was weak to the pressure of social norms, or concerned about appearances. Am I "bisexual" as well, I wonder?

Pretty much. The only thing that should label a person as bisexual is them saying "Hi, I'm a bisexual." The history is irrelevant as feelings and ideals can change over time as you figure your life out.

joined Feb 21, 2018

What bizarro world do you live in? Thats exactly what sexuality is.

Synonyms for "willingly": cheerfully, happily, gladly, with pleasure.

If you willingly sleep with men and women then you are bisexual. Doesnt mean you would sleep with every single man or woman, but you are happy to sleep with people of both genders with no problem. Thats bisexuality.

If you are being peer pressured into it then you are not doing it willingly. MC here isnt being pressured, she tells the audience she can get a boyfriend or girlfriend if she wanted to.

So, again, why are you so concerned in hiding her bisexuality? And Im still wondering why you posted a picture of another bisexual woman. Do you think Asami is a lesbian who was just confused or peer pressured, too?

last edited at Jun 20, 2018 10:30AM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

These are the kinds of things that real bisexuals/gays would punch the shit out of you for saying.
In terms of what's translated so far, the most Nanami can be called at the moment is "bicurious". (ie. she's not yet confirmed to be attracted to girls, but might consider it, assuming what she is thinking is supposed to be taken at face value). Sex is sometimes just a way to confirm what you're into, even if the gender of the person you sleep with doesn't turn out to be the gender you're attracted to. (an example being Fragments of Love ch1)

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

All right, enough with this nonsense.

Please leave the bisexuality topic aside unless and until it actually becomes a relevant plot point.

To reply you must either login or sign up.