Forum › 2DK, G-pen, Alarm clock discussion

joined Dec 20, 2017

To the translator, I really appreciate the thought that went into it, and I enjoy the work. I actually had no problem reading it, but like most of the others said, it's a bit jarring. It just made her sound too foreign, to be honest. If the other characters are speaking American English as coded Japanese, then the accents of the characters from Japan should ideally be accents of American English. Someone mentioned a midwestern accent as a possibility, and I think that would likely be the best option. Again, thank you and keep up the good work <3

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nezchan posted:

Nevri, do you even bother to read my posts?

I did but I thought it counted as different topic. I said what had to be said anyway, so I'm done here.

joined Jun 11, 2013

You did a good job, but cut out the dialect. All you need to do is put a TN saying she's peaking in a different dialect, you don't actually have to change the way she talks. Differen't dialects mean different things and trying to correlate them to other foreign dialects screw with not only the tone but things can get really changed in translation across cultures.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

This series is painfully realistic in many ways, I think. I cringe for the protagonist, though. At least now we know how she can like Kae so much.

Icon%20(4)
joined Jan 20, 2014

So I'm constantly switching pages just to look up words I can't read? On a chapter with like 40 pages? On a phone were pages aren't shown in the first place and I have to change either the url or switch from page to page? It that's your Idea of an "excellent and productive idea" I don't wanna know your bad ideas...

Regarding the use of "southern accents" in translations: Most of the time coming across those accents the translation is an instant drop for me. Reading this I can't help but imagine a big dumb "rednek" used for comic relief...

I have two, what you can call, "southern accents" (being bilingual by born sure it's nice), almost all my english it's autodidact and, even when this last chapter was a little hard at first, it went easy to understand in the end, but nice stereotypes where an accent means your intelligence and what you can do.
Oh, and it's redneck, with c. Feel free to learn something from a redneck.

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

I, for one, welcome our new Scottish overlords.

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

perf localisation keep up the strong work xx

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I, for one, welcome our new Scottish overlords.

I'd like to remind them that as a trusted yuri translator I can be helpful in rounding up typesetters to toil in their underground haggis caves.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 7:41PM

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

I rather like the Scottish accent, I find it incredibly charming.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

Another adult story. Yes!

joined Feb 21, 2018

I'd say it's a manga about an adult woman who happens to be lesbian

*Bisexual, different ball game.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

Well it's reassuring that you know more about the manga than I do, I suppose.

Official%20beidou%20cropped
joined May 22, 2016

LOL wait did you just correct the translator on a series she's actually very likely read

joined Feb 21, 2018

She literally talks about getting a boyfriend or girlfriend in chapter 2. She isnt in the deep lesbian closet.

joined Jan 11, 2015

joined Feb 21, 2018

Uh, are you saying Im right?

Official%20beidou%20cropped
joined May 22, 2016

She literally talks about getting a boyfriend or girlfriend in chapter 2. She isnt in the deep lesbian closet.

2 chapters out of 7 volumes
Are you seriously arguing about something you haven't read
Someone who's read 7 volumes just made a statement, and you're going to argue that, without knowing anything of the circumstances and reasoning of the character? Are you absolutely fuckin serious

joined Feb 21, 2018

Someone who's read 7 volumes just made a statement, and you're going to argue that, without knowing anything of the circumstances and reasoning of the character? Are you absolutely fuckin serious

So she didnt date a dude and was going to happily marry him if he didnt dump her? She is open to herself about dating guys and girls. How is she not bisexual?

joined Jan 11, 2015

I'm pretty sure you're making some impressive leaps in your logic, but you're not really hurting anyone, so I suppose that's fine.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 8:59PM

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

So she didnt date a dude and was going to happily marry him if he didnt dump her? She is open to herself about dating guys and girls. How is she not bisexual?

Whether or not she'd truly be happy with being in a relationship with a male, or if she'd truly love him, is still unconfirmed (speaking as someone who has only read the last 2 chapters). She mentions in chapter 1 that her goal from the get-go was to live an "ordinary" life as a woman (get a fulfilling career, marry a man, have kids, have grandkids, etc.), and after Yuuji asks if Nanami is a lesbian, there is a hint that she might be one (possibly from an incident in the past). In chapter 1, she is pretty fixated on the idea of living that ideal "ordinary" life, but Kae-chan indirectly and implicitly shows her that it's okay to stray from that path (and love girls, ayyy).

Furthermore, in chapter 1, Nanami reveals that she didn't visit her hometown because she didn't want to see Yuuji face-to-face. That's not exactly ideal, especially if they were planning to get married - so no, they wouldn't have been "happily" married to each other in the long run (or even in the short term, for that matter).

We also see throughout these two chapters that Nanami and the people around her are fixated on superficiality. Nanami wants to be the perfect, ideal woman (again, with a fulfilling career, happily married, stable family, all that jazz) on the surface, but her plans crumble when Yuuji steps out of her life and Kaede walks right into it. Her wanting a "boyfriend or girlfriend" is likely related to the fact that she still hasn't gotten over wanting to have the perfect lifestyle, but we are given no evidence that Nanami is actually into men. She just wants (or wanted) one to make herself look better.

91174211_215395393136656_8792315491096985600_n
joined Dec 5, 2016

I think we should take the opposite approach to this. So far she seemed ok dating boys, so it's safe to assume she's bi unless she explicitly says otherwise. Not that there is really a right or wrong in fiction stories, but this seems like the most suitable position. I say we wait for the rest to make sure.

joined Jan 10, 2017

Probably half the lesbian books/films/shows out there have the protagonist dating and having sex with some guy before deciding she's a lesbian. Sometimes even married with kids.

last edited at Jun 19, 2018 11:10PM

joined Jan 11, 2015

Indeed. Dating someone doesn't necessarily mean you're attracted to, or even like them, as I can regrettably say from experience.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I'm pretty sure you're making some impressive leaps in your logic, but you're not really hurting anyone, so I suppose that's fine.

When the only exercise you get is jumping to conclusions. XD

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

The accent got on my nerves 2 years ago and it still does. I'm not sure what the story behind it is, but I somehow doubt the original feels as hamfisted as this.

To reply you must either login or sign up.