Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

Alright so the title of this manga has kept me from reading it. Is it actually worth reading or does the lesbian just fall for a straight girl who will never return her feelings

Img_0840
joined Jun 2, 2015

All this time… all this time!!!! the BITCH KNEW!!!!!

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

What exactly do you mean by "all this time"? This was the first chapter with her being aware of Uta's feelings. Her running away from it and trying to pretend things were normal was perhaps not the best approach, but even so, it only lasted for one chapter.

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

‘Hey, I heard you like angst, so we put angst in your angst, so you can angst while you angst’

Meanswhile Kuro got neglected for Chrismas and New Year by Miyabi...

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

So what’s the deal with Uta and Reiichi’s mother? And do we know for certain that they both have the same mother and father?

I quite like the art in this series (although that neck shading with vertical lines where they look like they’re all wearing high-neck sweaters is kind of weird). I like these characters, in that I’m truly interested in what’s going on with almost everybody. I’m very interested in seeing how things will turn out, and I don’t mind a slow pace in getting there. Even the scenes are sometimes interestingly staged.

But I’m getting more than a little sick of this water-torture drip-drip of tiny hints about the backstory with their families and the past that has resulted in the present-day situation. I don’t mind when authors use hints about the past to ramp up the tension in a domestic drama, but this just seems like an author coyly implying important things that we need to know about but never clarifying what they are.

Eh, I'm sure it'll come together when it needs to. We'll probably get a flashback chapter eventually. Like I said before, you have to remember that with series like this, the authors are playing the long game and trying to create a work that reads with a good pace -once it's finished-.

A lot of series are frustrating while they're coming out, because they're paced to read smoothly once they're collected into a tankoubon. (Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana were both exceptionally complained about when they were first being released, but are now some of the most highly regarded series.)

(I’m pretty sure I’ve made the exact same point before, and I’ll try not to do it again. But fuckin’ A.)

You're using that expression wrong. "fuckin' A" is a positive expression. I'm pretty sure it was short for "fuckin awesome", back when it first cropped up in the...80's? I wanna say. It's been around since I was a kid, anyway, so at least the 80's. And as far as I can tell the usage hasn't changed.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

(I’m pretty sure I’ve made the exact same point before, and I’ll try not to do it again. But fuckin’ A.)

You're using that expression wrong. "fuckin' A" is a positive expression. I'm pretty sure it was short for "fuckin awesome", back when it first cropped up in the...80's? I wanna say. It's been around since I was a kid, anyway, so at least the 80's. And as far as I can tell the usage hasn't changed.

I can say for certain that you are off by going on a century, and through experience by . . . a very long time.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2077/whats-the-origin-of-fuckin-a/

It can be a positive expression of agreement, but it also is commonly used as a substitute for expressions like, “Goddamn,” or “Well, shit,” or, as I was using here like we did where I grew up, as a secular replacement for “But Jesus Christ.”

And I know very well what a good “long-game” serial narrative looks like. In terms of the backstory foreshadowing, this isn’t it.

last edited at May 30, 2018 11:18PM

joined May 22, 2018

i'm a sucker for these types of stories. give me more of that drama goodness. also like the age gap, even if it's a little less drastic than others

hope the friend has SECRET FEELINGS. also hope she was awake during that kiss. fuck it, hope the brother is a cross-dressing lesbian. BRING OUT ALL THE TROPES

I thought it was a definite that she was awake! Her hand clenched, and, not only that, she mentions it, however, she thought it was just a dream in her half-awake state.

xxcindybeexx
Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

glad i'm not the only one who feels they got cheated. that was a really important scene and the author cut it off for dramatics, just so she could put them all back at status quo. made the next chapter really confusing.

Right? And to me doesn't matter if will be touched in the future now just lost the momentum, and as flashbacks, it will cut down impact even more
yes we're well aware she will get dumped at first, then again we wanted to see the confession and even an initial rejection

yes exactly!! momentum was totally ruined. you see her confession coming, you amp up, it gets tense, you get excited, then cliffhanger. you feel a bit let down, but know there's another chapter. you wait. and wait. and wait. then finally new chapter, you start it, feeling the excitement of getting to see the conclusion of the confession....and you get that crap. all the air just whooshed out of your balloon, and no getting that back, no matter how good the flashbacks are.

there are somethings you can do that to, and some things you really shouldn't

last edited at Jun 1, 2018 3:29AM

joined Mar 15, 2017

I'm fairly confident the belief it skipped a confession is mistaken.

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Nope. I don’t think she knows “all this time”. But it could might be the part where Uta kissed her when she was sleep that started to know or maybe when they two traveled there’s something happened between them. The story forward from the time Uta sharing her secret. I could be that Uta really did confess to Kaoru, but got rejected coz for God sake she has husband and the girl happened to be her sister-in-law. Kaoru wanted to keep them as family, and to her wishful thinking that Uta should be inloved to normal person instead.

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

Just when you think it's going to go at a snails pace then BAM the last page hits you. Nice work author. Not really a cliffhanger but I wonder how the confession went. A great way to draw interest to the reader without while showing progression in the story.

Hey everyone - I would like to clear up a little of the confusion over this last chapter. I'm not part of Chaosteam, but I do help out from time to time. I helped with the proofreading of the previous chapter of this. Chaosteam does a great job on this title, and please believe me when I tell you how difficult it can be to do these translations and convey the subtleties of the story.

A couple of things about chapter 15. First and foremost, as we've learned from her relationship with Reiichi, Kaoru is not good at dealing with reality and prefers to be in open denial about most things. She is never going to openly address things, especially something as HUGE as Uta confessing to her.

Next, recall from chapter 14 that Uta said she wants to confess to the one she loves and deal with the consequences of the unrequited love instead of having any regrets about it. So, in chapter 15 Uta is in really high spirits, BUT, she is also preparing to leave Reiichi and Kaoru's house - because she's aware of the implications of the confession that happened between chapter 14 and 15. So, we are all curious "did Uta confess or not" and it's my opinion that CLEARLY YES Uta confessed to Kaoru. Why am I so confident? Because a) she's happy and has no regrets and b) she's actively dealing with the consequences by getting ready to move out.

Let's look at the last scene of chapter 15 when Uta leaves, and Kaoru's internal monologue. What Kaoru is saying here is, "why couldn't Uta have fallen in love with someone from her work instead?" and "why couldn't she have fallen in love with a teacher from school instead?" On page 30, Kaoru is essentially saying "she should have fallen in love with someone more interesting, instead of a boring person like me" and then "because if she had, we could still live together as a family." In this scene, there's a dichotomy between Kaoru feeling like a boring person (recall from previous chapters where she had meetings with her more successful friends) and clearly enjoying the fact that Uta thinks she's a special enough person to confess to her (touching her lips at the thought), yet at the same time realizing that it's an untenable situation because it means that Uta has to leave and break up the family.

So, if your question is "did Uta confess?" I think the answer is "yes". If your question is "is Kaoru going to reciprocate?" I think the answer is "I think she will, but for now, she's completely in denial about the whole thing as usual".

And thank you Chaosteam for the scanlation, please keep it up!

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

OniXX posted:

Wall of text

I'm sorry, but 90% of people will not read it. Most people didn't read official explanation from scanlation team. You are lucky if people who will post now, will even glance at your comment. Sorry, that is how this forum works.

Also:

Let's look at the last scene of chapter 15 when Uta leaves, and Kaoru's internal monologue. What Kaoru is saying here is, "why couldn't Uta have fallen in love with someone from her work instead?" and "why couldn't she have fallen in love with a teacher from school instead?" On page 30, Kaoru is essentially saying "she should have fallen in love with someone more interesting, instead of a boring person like me" and then "because if she had, we could still live together as a family." In this scene, there's a dichotomy between Kaoru feeling like a boring person (recall from previous chapters where she had meetings with her more successful friends) and clearly enjoying the fact that Uta thinks she's a special enough person to confess to her (touching her lips at the thought), yet at the same time realizing that it's an untenable situation because it means that Uta has to leave and break up the family.

That is actually not it at all. The meaning isn't "I'm so boring". The point of this scene is, as you said, she is in denial, so will still denying it, she thinks of different possible people Uta could fallen for. Like the co-worker or teacher. And after it, she basically tells herself, "who I am even kidding?" because she finally realized she was just running away from reality, because she is the one Uta fallen for her. The "if the person was as ordinary as I imagined, we could have stay family forever" refers to how Uta falling for her sister in law and wife of her brother is not a usual scenario. If she had fallen for teacher or co-worker things could stay as they are, they could just be normal family. But because she fallen for her, they can't. Uta wants to move out to not cause problem because of her feelings. She wants to distance herself, because she knows now it will become awkward. Kaoru is not feeling special there. Kaoru finally is realizing just how fucked up situation they are in is.

If your question is "is Kaoru going to reciprocate?" I think the answer is "I think she will, but for now, she's completely in denial about the whole thing as usual".

I'm seriously not sure where you got that conclusion from. If it is because of the whole, being special thing, then I just showed how it is wrong. But even if, she is in love with Reiichi, she chased after him for several years. She is married to him. She showed no interest in Uta, other than trying be a good sister-in-law and family. In order to reciprocate, she would actually need to either cheat on her husband or get a divorce with him and neither option seems likely at this point. She got worried to death about idea of him cheating with someone and she wants to confront him about it first. I don't see how she would suddenly jump to cheating on him instead. For all intents and purposes, she still loves him.

And just how almost nobody will read your post, I'm wasting my time, because almost nobody will read what I just wrote. As a prove I already wrote and said all of that like 3 pages ago and almost nobody read it, especially you.

last edited at Jun 3, 2018 7:38AM

OniXX posted:

Wall of text

I'm sorry, but 90% of people will not read it. Most people didn't read official explanation from scanlation team. You are lucky if people who will post now, will even glance at your comment. Sorry, that is how this forum works.

That's how all forums have worked since online forums were created. I'm okay with it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion! I don't agree with it, but, that's forums for you.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

OniXX posted:

Thanks for sharing your opinion! I don't agree with it, but, that's forums for you.

Np. Sure, but that isn't really my interpretation. That is what she says. Co-worker or teacher are "normal" options. Not special.

EDIT/ In fact, I looked at raws again and that sentence is a bit mistranslated. It technically has the same meaning, but as we see plenty people either don't understand it or have different interpretations what she meant by it. The original line is much more direct in referring to those 2 scenarios she came up with and would go something like that "If it went according to such typical scenarios, we could keep being a family." with "being a family" I assume she refers to Uta leaving house and breaking the current family apart, as in, even if she leaves they are still family, but she would destroy the family as they are right now.

last edited at Jul 13, 2018 9:27AM

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

I'm seriously not sure where you got that conclusion from. If it is because of the whole, being special thing, then I just showed how it is wrong. But even if, she is in love with Reiichi, she chased after him for several years. She is married to him. She showed no interest in Uta, other than trying be a good sister-in-law and family. In order to reciprocate, she would actually need to either cheat on her husband or get a divorce with him and neither option seems likely at this point. She got worried to death about idea of him cheating with someone and she wants to confront him about it first. I don't see how she would suddenly jump to cheating on him instead. For all intents and purposes, she still loves him.

eh. shes hella insecure about her relationship with reiichi and like she said in the chapter before, she is seeing cracks in their relationship and shes realized that she doesnt really know him that much so i can see her cheating on him or breaking off their relationship. either way, shes gonna have to make a choice as uta has put kaoru in a position where she can no longer run away.

last edited at Jun 3, 2018 3:47AM

Bae
joined Jun 11, 2017

Hey everyone - I would like to clear up a little of the confusion over this last chapter. I'm not part of Chaosteam, but I do help out from time to time. I helped with the proofreading of the previous chapter of this. Chaosteam does a great job on this title, and please believe me when I tell you how difficult it can be to do these translations and convey the subtleties of the story.

A couple of things about chapter 15. First and foremost, as we've learned from her relationship with Reiichi, Kaoru is not good at dealing with reality and prefers to be in open denial about most things. She is never going to openly address things, especially something as HUGE as Uta confessing to her.

Next, recall from chapter 14 that Uta said she wants to confess to the one she loves and deal with the consequences of the unrequited love instead of having any regrets about it. So, in chapter 15 Uta is in really high spirits, BUT, she is also preparing to leave Reiichi and Kaoru's house - because she's aware of the implications of the confession that happened between chapter 14 and 15. So, we are all curious "did Uta confess or not" and it's my opinion that CLEARLY YES Uta confessed to Kaoru. Why am I so confident? Because a) she's happy and has no regrets and b) she's actively dealing with the consequences by getting ready to move out.

So, if your question is "did Uta confess?" I think the answer is "yes". If your question is "is Kaoru going to reciprocate?" I think the answer is "I think she will, but for now, she's completely in denial about the whole thing as usual".

And thank you Chaosteam for the scanlation, please keep it up!

Thanks Onixx :)
But yeah, as mentionned before and unfortunatly, I don't think everybody will read it T.T
I gave the explanation we got from Naoto, but seems like most of people didn't read it as well xD

But yes, the situation itself is complicated. I wouldn't say Kaoru is feeling like she is boring, but I agree with what Nevri said earlier (not everything, because a lot of things are part to interpretation. I personally Believe that Kaoru cares more about Uta than she really believes, but doesn't realize it yet because she is way too into Reiichi. There's a lot of little hint in the previous chapters, but I don't really think she realizes it and will ever realize it)

last edited at Jun 3, 2018 6:39AM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Yuri Guy posted:

eh. shes hella insecure about her relationship with reiichi and like she said in the chapter before, she is seeing cracks in their relationship and shes realized that she doesnt really know him that much so i can see her cheating on him or breaking off their relationship. either way, shes gonna have to make a choice as uta has put kaoru in a position where she can no longer run away.

Just because she is insecure about it, it doesn't mean she will jump to relationship with Uta. For that she first need to love her. She said she is afraid to know him, but that doesn't mean she can't change it. She clearly before cared about knowing him and being his family, as well as, she was finally fed up with running away from possibility he might be cheating and confronted him about it. There is so much going on with Reiichi and his mystery, it is pretty clear we are not done with him any time soon. Once he comes back, there has to be next confrontation between Kaoru and him and/or he will explain the situation with his and Uta's family. Also whatever he is cheating on her or not, is not that clear, but he definitely has some reasons to hide things from her. It will probably be addressed once they finally talk about it again. The title of this story is unrequited love, so if Kaoru would simply go to cheating now or divorce him, that would be seriously disappointing. If author would plan to simply get rid of Reiichi and let Kaoru and Uta have a relationship, they would simply made him a asshole, but they clearly make him to be someone with their own life and reasons. Also I can't really see what story would be about once they would ditch him and get together. After all this fucked up stuff, you can't exactly expect a simple fluff romance. And even if, it is pretty clear once all things are resolved the story will simply end. So if next thing Kaoru will do is cheat/break on/with Reiichi, series would end there. Sorry, but author clearly consider all this past and current mess the core focus of the story. Uta's love for Karou is a side plot at this point.

Angrboda94 posted:

(not everything, because a lot of things are part to interpretation. I personally Believe that Kaoru cares more about Uta than she really believes, but doesn't realize it yet because she is way too into Reiichi. There's a lot of little hint in the previous chapters, but I don't really think she realizes it and will ever realize it)

Thanks, but I'm not saying Kaoru doesn't care a lot whole about Uta. It is clear she cares about her and wants to have a good relationship with her. What I'm saying is that nothing suggest so far those feelings are anything more than the love for family/sister. Again, because author decided to not sheer with us the most important part of the story, aka why the fuck things between all 3 changed in the first place, but it was said before Kaoru was mad in love with Reiichi, and from her current behavior we can still assume she has feelings for him. To me something more must happen for her to decided to fuck it and leave him for good. At least she needs to get confirmation he is actually cheating and has no good reason to do it. Not knowing what happened and why things are the way they are is seriously frustrating, because we can't reliably discuss and speculate about plot at all, because we don't know the most crucial details.

TL;DR: Kaoru loving Uta from any point before her confession would be a serious cop out and even after her confession, story so far didn't really set up Kaoru to reciprocate it and doing so just because her current marriage is failing would be terrible to Uta.

last edited at Jun 3, 2018 8:06AM

See, everyone is saying no one reads the forums, yet here we all are. And we're having a productive conversation about the latest chapter as well! Please forgive my massive wall of text.

I've been a professional writer for 30 years, and I've written lots of original things and I've also had to pick up half-written things and finish writing them. The difficulty we have here is that we don't have access to the complete work because it's serialized and also we don't have access to the original author to find out what things foreshadow other things. I went through all the previous chapters and made notes about all the things that the author had foreshadowed - "hints" if you will.

Kevri, I really disagree with your evaluation of Uta and Kaoru's relationship. The author has foreshadowed that Kaoru sees Uta and Reiichi as interchangeable. For example, in chapter one:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch01#17

"For my wedding annivesary - can you take his [Rei-ichi's] place and accompany me?"

She's not literally saying that she wants Uta to take Reiichi's place, but, the author wrote this scene for a reason. It's meant to plant the seed in your mind.

Go back to chapter five and look at this scene:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch05#5

Kaoru falls asleep watching a drama, and Uta replaces Reiichi without Kaoru noticing. Kaoru says "...otherwise I would have woken up if it was someone I didn't connect with". Again, Kaoru is not literally saying that she connects romantically with Uta, but, the author is planting the seed.

Also, when you said earlier that at the end of chapter 15 Kaoru is thinking about how messed up the situation is, I disagree. Kaoru tends to have extreme reactions to bad situations - like falling down stairs and breaking her legs. In this case, she's absently moving her hand to her lip. I don't know about you, but, the last time I had something bad happen in my life, I didn't stand there wistfully touching my lip. Again, I'm not saying I'm right, but clearly this ambiguity is the author's intention here. Otherwise, the author would have dramatized the scene far differently - by having Kaoru faint, or break something, or some other extreme reaction.

Your other point about Kaoru being "mad in love" with Reiichi - it's clear that Reiichi isn't in love with Kaoru, which is the second unrequited love in this story and the unraveling of their relationship is, in my opinion, the second major plotline next to the will-they-or-won't-they plotline. Yes, there is some ambiguity over whether Reiichi is cheating or not - but it's strongly hinted that's what he's up to. As you mention, he's lying and he's essentially abandoned Kaoru when she's recovering from a serious injury - that he witnessed and is well aware he's the cause of whether or not Kaoru is being honest about her "amnesia" around the incident. Reiichi knows what he's doing. Reiichi knows that Kaoru loves him more than he loves her. He abuses that imbalance in their relationship constantly as the examples I've given above show.

The point I was trying to make is that once the inevitable happens and Reiichi and Kaoru break up, there's going to be a void. What's going to fill that void? We don't know yet. But the author clearly wants us to think about the possibilities. If we, as readers, don't do that the author has failed. So until we actually read the next chapters, all we can do is speculate and it's as likely that any of us are right as the others.

Also, my use of the word "boring" to describe Kaoru's opinion of herself wasn't the best choice. What I meant was, if you go back to chapter four in which Kaoru has her friends over:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch04#8

Kaoru's friend says "it's just that you give off that housewife feeling" and Kaoru is annoyed and says "what's that supposed to mean?" Kaoru is annoyed by the barb from her friend because it has a grain of truth to it. Kaoru knows she gives off the "housewife feeling", and that is a source of distress to her. So I didn't meant that she feels "boring" in the sense of "uninteresting", I mean that she is aware of the fact that she doesn't work, sits at home all day and watches dramas, and really has no life. To Kaoru, a teacher or one of Uta's coworkers are more "interesting" because they have a job, or they go to school - in short, they have a life. That's all I was saying there.

last edited at Jun 3, 2018 11:20AM by

Thanks Onixx :)
But yeah, as mentionned before and unfortunatly, I don't think everybody will read it T.T
I gave the explanation we got from Naoto, but seems like most of people didn't read it as well xD

But yes, the situation itself is complicated. I wouldn't say Kaoru is feeling like she is boring, but I agree with what Nevri said earlier (not everything, because a lot of things are part to interpretation. I personally Believe that Kaoru cares more about Uta than she really believes, but doesn't realize it yet because she is way too into Reiichi. There's a lot of little hint in the previous chapters, but I don't really think she realizes it and will ever realize it)

People are reading! Just not a lot of people :)

I did read the clarification from Naoto, and it was very helpful. The problem is that even with the literal translation we're still trying to read the author's mind, so we have to pay close attention to all the foreshadowing of the previous chapters because that's all we have to go on.

Keep up the good work! I'd be really distraught if there was no scanlation and I had to wait forever for the official. Thank you!

last edited at Jun 3, 2018 11:52AM by

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Nobody reads.

Actually, I think what's harder is to answer to them. Pretty easy to read if you're interested in the story and the texts are written clearly. It's good, continue you all :D

Ryokoayeka2
joined Sep 6, 2017

I'm reading!

Fire%20rose
joined Sep 15, 2016

On page 27 what Kaoru says makes you think Uta didn't confess at all and that Kaoru is still in the dark about it, while in the last page the translation makes it clear that she knows, it wasn't making any sense.
Page 29-30 as well, was that literal translation? It made me think that there might be a lot more mistakes in the rest of the chapter.
So thank you Onixx and everyone, I'm glad someone took the time to clear things up here, what you said makes perfect sense to me.

Picsart_05-15-11.56.08%20(2)
joined Jun 17, 2018

Is it done already :(

I liked it though

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

She knew D:

To reply you must either login or sign up.