Forum › The Rain and the Other Side of You discussion

joined Dec 28, 2016

The cousin is sexually abusing her, isn't he?

Why do people jump to this conclusion? I think a lot of people here have huge cases of misandry. Cool it with the sexism people. If the cousin was a woman and your reaction would've been any different please reexamine yourself.

Images%20(18)
joined Oct 18, 2017

Hmmm... Quite interesting... different approach on age gap tag, that is, considering the "something-fishy-cousin-thingy"... Since it would back up why the MC is so bold and aggressive...

Edit:
With chap. 6, it makes sense why the title, The Rain and the Other Side of You....

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 10:31AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Why do people jump to this conclusion?

For the same reasons several people have already repeated?

If the cousin was a woman and your reaction would've been any different please reexamine yourself.

That's not how that works.

last edited at Jan 11, 2018 10:22AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Why do people jump to this conclusion? I think a lot of people here have huge cases of misandry. Cool it with the sexism people. If the cousin was a woman and your reaction would've been any different please reexamine yourself.

It's got nothing to do with real-life and all to do with having read similar stories. IF this were the first manga I had read I probably wouldn't have thought much about the guy and not bothered to look at the "signs" and thought nothing further about the topic.

But it's not, so like everyone else I feel fairly safe in saying that something's going on with the guy. Maybe it's not sexual abuse, but I'd be surprised if he was just a random normal guy.

This of course also have to do with the old Chekov's Gun idea - you don't bring a gun to the stage unless it's fired at some point. Basically, you don't introduce a character unless he plays some role in the story. It's a yuri manga, and he's male. He's doesn't come across as supportive-best-friend-type, yet he feels too prominent to be just some background character, so that mostly leaves antagonistic roles. Again, abuser fits.

I know that sometimes these reading experiences can really screw you over. I remember reading a scifi story I nearly dropped because it read 95% like a stereotypical-het-bodyguard romance. I could point at all the signs of why it's exactly like one of those in the story and say I was perfectly justified in my exasperation.
But it nonetheless turned out the supposed male love interest was actually gay and married and the entire series turned out so far to be completely free of any romance; something I'd never have expected.

So, yes, authors might deliberately or even involuntarily "mislead" readers like that. Could be everyone is wrong here.

But it's just not the most likely case.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

ergzay posted:

Because women wouldn't do it? I made it easier... This is how he would look like as a woman.

The empty indifferent look in the eyes makes "her" look shady, plus the panel positions and insinuations ... Is not about gender, the author wants to say something.

Art02
joined Apr 18, 2015

okay all this cousin talk is making me upset so lets all just sit back ANd HOPE that theres no abusee

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Looking at her pixiv, the first chapter is from 2014. Then new chapters every so often. There was a relatively short time between the last two chapters (9 and 10). No new sight of the creepy cousin, so far. I hope they intend to finish it with at least similarly short gaps if it ends up coming to that kind of plot.

Thanks for the info!

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Girl please, of course it's not because of the flippin' cold... And ho, sound the alarm bell, there's something seriously messed up with that cousim bro.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

ergzay posted:

Because women wouldn't do it? I made it easier... This is how he would look like as a woman.

The empty indifferent look in the eyes makes "her" look shady, plus the panel positions and insinuations ... Is not about gender, the author wants to say something.

This is not a case of sexism, but attentiveness. Loose from the fact that it's a man, the fact that she sarcastically laughed at the words "It's something you should do with someone you love." plus her general attitude after her cousin entered the scene just screams wrong.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 5, pg 18 has a minor error, it was fixed https://yuriproject.net/rain-side-ch05/

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

People are just analyzing the story. There are just some signs in the story that something is wrong with that guy. It could be anything, but it's probably something dire. If you read the comments, most people even wish they are wrong..
What's really sexist, is the trope itself, that many male characters in yuri manga are douchebags.

Also, I think a lot of readers are actually males (I don't know how many, but maybe a bit more than 50%? maybe someone has statistics).

last edited at Jan 14, 2018 5:27AM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

That face she made was kind of a sign of help and yeah, if he were a woman I'd probably think less of it, yeah I am kinda biased but we are reading yuri here

last edited at Jan 14, 2018 4:34PM

joined Jan 15, 2018

I feel like she’s getting abused, during the rain, so maybe that why she hates the rain, and she invited the teacher to stay so she wouldn’t get sexually abused again??

Koitoyuu-1
joined Jan 23, 2018

^ That is plausible. She's looking for a way to escape the abuse IF the cousin really does it. That's why she said that she hates the rain. Pretty soon, sensei will save her by being the rainbow in her life that she desperately needs.

(Funny, earlier I was humming a song that there's always a rainbow after the rain, and then I stumbled upon this today.)

However, I'm not quite comfortable about the huge age gap between the student and teacher. I'll continue reading it anyway.

Relax
joined Sep 7, 2016

I love teacher x student stories kkkk

Same, and I guess I gotta change my pic now. Nice choice though

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

but maybe a bit more than 50%? maybe someone has statistics).

Here.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Melon posted:

Also, I think a lot of readers are actually males (I don't know how many, but maybe a bit more than 50%? maybe someone has statistics).

I don't have a link handy but someone actually did a survey last year on the site's demographics and if I recall correctly it was close to 50-50 but weighted more to women than men.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

She's a feisty one.

0000slan1
joined Apr 7, 2018

Well, I've just read the raw of chapter 12 and the cousin is definitely abusing her, I'm not 100% sure it's sexual abuse since my Japanese isn't exactly great but it seems extremely likely.

Asukaoriii
joined Jul 24, 2015

It's funny to see a 13-year-old overpower an adult who's over twice her age. But I guess it's not that difficult if the other part is not really trying to resist, sorta how it went in NTR.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Well, I've just read the raw of chapter 12 and the cousin is definitely abusing her, I'm not 100% sure it's sexual abuse since my Japanese isn't exactly great but it seems extremely likely.

;_;

last edited at May 3, 2018 8:58PM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Maybe her cousin is abusing her? She does to sensei what the cousin does to her?

last edited at May 3, 2018 9:39PM

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

Would this qualify under the yandere tag or is it not severe enough? Maybe drama?

Kuroneko1900
Fb_img_1505910576160
joined Jan 8, 2016

Why would an adult let him/herself be treated like that by a student¿?

joined May 20, 2013

It isn't clear from the text in chapter 12 either. Only that it's some form of abuse. Maybe just to force her to do better at school. I'll try hoping for that until something worse is proven... Maybe chapter 13 will finally give answers. Another 2 to 4 months, I guess.

To reply you must either login or sign up.