Forum › 1 x ½ discussion

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

Perhaps I'm speaking out of line, but I'd like to remind people that Nezchan explicitly asked for us to not respond to further... off-topic posts. Besides, the comment in question will likely be gone by the end of the day, so what's the point in quoting it?

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

For me, it isn't even just males in yuri. I feel exactly this way about love rivals in general, which is why love triangles are so hit-or-miss in my experience. Far too often, they only serve to force development of the main couple and don't stand on their own as characters.

It's particularly bad if it's an Ex that plays the third wheel. Usually, the reader is told all the various flaws the ex has - so you already know they aren't "right". Then the protagonist for some contrived reasons still does something with them (or at least their love interest thinks they do). So either you've got a misunderstanding that's too stupid to believe or you have a protagonist that's too stupid to believe.

And while real life people of course regularly do stupid things it doesn't make for good fiction, usually (some self-sabotaging characters can be appealing, but it needs to be done well ^^; ).

In this specific instance, I'm also bothered by the character's nature as a Chekhov's gun; it was obvious he was going to come up again, and his lack of any real importance up 'til now just makes me doubt that he'll be incorporated organically into the plot. Of course, I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

Very true. However, I think you're also pointing out why it's so difficult to do this right in fiction: real life, everybody runs in a few dozen people each day. If somebody were to observe you, they wouldn't automatically know which one is important.

In fiction though, you only get the high lights. All characters need to serve some function, otherwise they shouldn't be in the story. But then, in romances, there aren't that many options of what they can be there for ...

Balancing this is a tough task to give any author, I think.

Parnifia the Bastard
joined Aug 4, 2014

For me, it isn't even just males in yuri. I feel exactly this way about love rivals in general, which is why love triangles are so hit-or-miss in my experience. Far too often, they only serve to force development of the main couple and don't stand on their own as characters.

It's particularly bad if it's an Ex that plays the third wheel. Usually, the reader is told all the various flaws the ex has - so you already know they aren't "right". Then the protagonist for some contrived reasons still does something with them (or at least their love interest thinks they do). So either you've got a misunderstanding that's too stupid to believe or you have a protagonist that's too stupid to believe.

And while real life people of course regularly do stupid things it doesn't make for good fiction, usually (some self-sabotaging characters can be appealing, but it needs to be done well ^^; ).

Why are there so few stories where issues with an ex are all in the character's head, and the ex isn't actually malicious or aggressive? I mean, that's really the most realistic scenario; the ex and the love interest are over and have moved on, but the MC can't help but be paranoid about the relationship they used to have (or maybe switch the love interest and MC, either way can work).
I'm really hoping that someone understands what I'm referencing here.

In this specific instance, I'm also bothered by the character's nature as a Chekhov's gun; it was obvious he was going to come up again, and his lack of any real importance up 'til now just makes me doubt that he'll be incorporated organically into the plot. Of course, I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

Very true. However, I think you're also pointing out why it's so difficult to do this right in fiction: real life, everybody runs in a few dozen people each day. If somebody were to observe you, they wouldn't automatically know which one is important.

In fiction though, you only get the high lights. All characters need to serve some function, otherwise they shouldn't be in the story. But then, in romances, there aren't that many options of what they can be there for ...

Balancing this is a tough task to give any author, I think.

I see your point, but that's not really what I meant. Of course, now that I'm trying to explain myself I can't seem to find the words, so I'm just going to concede the point before I give myself a headache. Actually, it's already too late for that.

joined Jan 10, 2017

Nooooo. This pointless misunderstanding had better be completely inconsequential and short lived or I'll be upset.

Fuuka%20small
joined Sep 9, 2017

TO NEZCHAN: Please tell me where I should write chapter’s volume when uploading. Should I write it in the “Name” field? Because when I write it in the “info” field it’s always, always, always ignored by Mods.
This. Chapter. Is. From. Volume. 4.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

TO NEZCHAN: Please tell me where I should write chapter’s volume when uploading. Should I write it in the “Name” field? Because when I write it in the “info” field it’s always, always, always ignored by Mods.
This. Chapter. Is. From. Volume. 4.

Hm. I'll pass it along to dpf, who usually handles that side of things.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Jun gets no breaks lmao

Arg
joined Jan 17, 2014

it's a shame, but I guess a novice writer is bound to end up relying on cheap drama when they run out of ideas.

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

holy shit, things are getting spicy lol

joined Oct 15, 2014

I don't care what y'all say but jealousy is one of the best part of loving someone

last edited at Apr 17, 2018 8:05PM

TransmogriphicationCentral
joined Feb 14, 2018

At least she had enough manners to fix Ayako's clothes.

Images
joined Apr 4, 2018

Good things happen: it gets worse as the mother's feelings get more messed up, but I like it, so it gets better, in fact !
God, the sexual tension is so high I might live off of this for the next month.

7okxlebd
joined Oct 28, 2017

Lol, it's so cute how Asuka's mother is curious about "practice".

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

If only if he can be deleted...

AyeIts_Nicocchi
Deepfry-2
joined Mar 15, 2018

I LOVE I LOVE IT OH MAH GAWD HEHH YEH

uzumakixhinata
joined Nov 7, 2013

Why am i enjoying this

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

Comment 666! Do I win a prize!
I was leery about this when it started, but it is turning out quite well, I think. It isn't 'ordinary' and neither should it be, these are highly unusual people in very unusual situations.
One of the best parts is how... normal their lives are outside of their relationships. That's good writing and servers to show how the outside world has no idea what's going on...
Nice!

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

ok, author kicked that cool blondie, I guess her aunt or something? But keeps insisting on the boy, now what? Wanna turn your yuri into het? Go ahead, just let me know in advance so I can drop right now

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

when the girl you liked thought you were gay

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

ok, author kicked that cool blondie, I guess her aunt or something? But keeps insisting on the boy, now what? Wanna turn your yuri into het? Go ahead, just let me know in advance so I can drop right now

it's not like Iike I hate het, but Im here for incest n yuri. if they turn my yuri into het, I swear to god...

nah, let alone het,
I would be really upset if they didn't stick with the incest theme till the end of the series.

with that being said, I think that's unlikely considering the fact the mom started to think asuka as her lover as well.
even there's no sign of her thinking asuka as a substitute for her husband or anything like that, she legit loves asuka sexually from the bottom of her heart.

but still, it doesn't change the fact, at the end of the day they both may won't end up together as a legit couple. that's why I implore u the author, plz don't shy away with ur incest~~

Parnifia the Bastard
joined Aug 4, 2014

Let's not overreact here. He made it very clear he has no intention of pursuing Asuka, since she obviously isn't interested in him romantically. Also, it's really not that uncommon for a character to fall into the background or temporarily stop appearing altogether once a major story arc involving them concludes. (And although I wouldn't personally describe Akira's appearance as a major arc, I suppose it is, relative to everything else in the story so far.) It's a safe assumption that Akira will show up again, since there are still several questions about her left hanging.

last edited at Apr 17, 2018 11:02PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s been well-established that the boy has been wanting to get with Asuka since they both were little kids, and she hasn’t gone for it. What in the world makes anyone think that she’s going to suddenly go het for him now?

It’s theoretically possible, and it’s arguably more probable than the story suddenly becoming a 4koma about an invasion of Earth by vegan Communist dragons from outer space.

But Asuka and Jun sitting on a park bench while she gives him a sledgehammer to the solar plexus (figuratively speaking) about her being in love with her mom (and incidentally, not with him) doesn’t suggest to me that it’s quite time to make a mad scramble for the het-attack fallout shelters.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

wtf im doing with my life how did i end up here reading this
how i pass from reading a cute yui x azusa doujin and start reading this mother x daughter manga
i think i need a break from the internet

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

i think you should drop it regardless of the boy or the aunt since this is a pretty disturbing manga but thats only if you can stop reading it to be honest i really want to drop this one but i just cant, the curiosity kills me every time i saw a new chapter and i crige all the way through the last page yet i enjoy every second of it

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

Someone mentioned earlier that Akira's inclusion was great as an antagonist, only to leave before that person's predictions came true. I hope this thread doesn't go down the same inconclusive holes. Like what others are saying, this isn't about to turn het just because Jun's coming clean. This creates a dilemma (which Akira should've been) that makes Ayako consider the full extent of her feelings for her daughter. This is a good conflict, and one that won't lead to het. The Focus of the story is clearly motherxdaughter incest and I don't think it'll turn from that at any point. It is good that it leaves us guessing, though, because it makes it more tense and intriguing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.