Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Shit's so good man

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

I think its cool that we get to see the play and they don't just gloss over it. ^^ Wish more authors would take chances like that.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I think its cool that we get to see the play and they don't just gloss over it. ^^ Wish more authors would take chances like that.

Not all authors can execute on their promises after so much build-up. Nakatani, thankfully, is one of those few who can and will.

joined Feb 18, 2015

I totally agree! It is wonderful!

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

The extended discussion on visual storytelling subtlety was enjoyable, I'm glad this is one of the few places where such discussions can happen.

This story very often doesn’t work like that; readers have to triangulate, as it were... It’s not unique in that respect, and doing it isn’t especially complicated, but it does call for a slightly different kind of attention by readers than do many other apparently similar stories.

Despite how uncomplicated it is in theory, I think it is rare because portraying a character well is already difficult while using a consistent methodology, much less through splintered, contradictory messages. To portray that sort of emotional complexity requires mastery over your art and your characters and an ability to hit all the right notes of ambiguity inherent to real people.

Going to the latest chapter, it was so satisfying seeing the lines that have appeared before in their proper context, but still carrying the emotional weight from their first appearance. Like page 37, Touko's anguished monologue isn't given as much screen time as before, but the original visuals are hard to forget.

Yuu had all of the best moments here. Suggesting talking to A-chan's friends/family, the phone, asking for her favorite color of gerberas. I guess it comes from a certain impartiality of not having past definitions of A-chan.

I wonder what the last two pages mean. Touko is feeling positive enough to give herself a pep talk, but Yuu seems to be torn over how Touko's doing fine. God why is Yuu always looking at Touko's back? The day that changes will also be the day Yuu finally stops being afraid to catch up to her.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I wonder what the last two pages mean. Touko is feeling positive enough to give herself a pep talk, but Yuu seems to be torn over how Touko's doing fine.

And here’s where the tension really ramps up, both in the play and in the emotional relationship. As you say, we’ve seen glimpses of this part of the play before, and we do know that it’s no longer a choice among the three old versions of the patient, but we don’t know much about the mechanics of how the rewritten ending will actually play out. That “You said you’d help me” line from the end of chapter 27 (assuming it’s a line from the play) suggests that the major turning-point scene is between Touko’s character and the nurse.

That should be a humdinger, as me grandpappy used to say.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

play feels a bit forced tbh. feels like author did it all on purpose just to summarize, wrap it all up, and find an easy way to get touko to move on. i mean really, yuu's friend has some amazing observation skills to be THIS accurate on everything in the story til now. Not to mention the fact that she would write her play about touko to begin with. she has very little connection to her, so why would she? idk, maybe i just need to reread it all, and not read it one chapter at a time with months long gaps.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Not to mention the fact that she would write her play about touko to begin with. she has very little connection to her, so why would she?

Koyomi was commissioned by the student council to write the play for these specific actors. She already knew Touko’s public persona (the perfect schoolgirl version) and she inferred two others: the vulnerable person the lover knew, and the distant one among her family. Only the last one is especially insightful about Touko herself.

And the literal facts of the play have nothing overtly to do with Touko at all; only Yuu and Sayaka know anything about her struggles concerning her own identity.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Yuu brought it to her writer friend's attention and discussed it. She deliberately rejected all the other play ideas the student council had, and specifically to help Touko. To paraphrase Hakamada Mera, this is "all Yuu."

last edited at Mar 30, 2018 6:26PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Yuu brought it to her writer friend's attention and discussed it. She deliberately rejected all the other play ideas the student council had, and specifically to help Touko. To paraphrase Hakamada Mera, this is "all Yuu."

That’s not quite the case—the student council really didn’t have any usable ideas for the play until Yuu connected them with her writer friend, Koyomi. At the council’s request, Koyomi then wrote a full draft of an original script, and during the writing of that script she asked Yuu some questions about Touko. She submitted that version to the student council, who accepted it and eventually began rehearsing it.

At the time she submitted the play Koyomi had voiced some reservations about the ending she had written, and eventually Yuu came up with the idea of changing the ending as a way of getting Touko to reconsider her attitude about herself and her identity. Yuu and Koyomi then collaborated on rewriting the ending.

So Yuu certainly had a great deal to do with getting the play written, and she actively contributed to the part that’s about to be shown in the story, but she never had complete control over any part of the play itself.

Creative writers need to get their props, people!

Edit
joined Apr 30, 2016

Wow, Touko's a brilliant actress (unsurprisingly). In the play, she instantly adopts the persona her friend describes to her, and goes on to happily & enthusiastically welcome her younger brother, ignorant of their relationship. I love how she gets so deep in her character and changes accordingly with each visit. Feels like I'm actually there among the audiences. The next chapter is going to be good.

joined Apr 28, 2016

That is actually a pretty decent idea for a play.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Wow, Touko's a brilliant actress (unsurprisingly).

Considering that her entire life since her sister's death and up until now has been one big act, it would be indeed by surprising if she weren't great at it...

last edited at Mar 31, 2018 12:29PM

872f6125-d376-4c56-b454-2ea11e45ebc7
joined Jul 7, 2017

NO WHERE IS thE NEXT CHAPTER

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

NO WHERE IS thE NEXT CHAPTER

Sorry you have to wait until the end of April / Beginning like the rest of us.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Did you know? Every time some nerd makes a big whiny fuss about when the next chapter is, a scan group pushes their release back three days.

It's true!

Asasa
joined Nov 20, 2015

Did you know? Every time some nerd makes a big whiny fuss about when the next chapter is, a scan group pushes their release back three days.

It's true!

Jeez.. U terrified me! xD

Easypart
joined May 28, 2014

It's true!

Can't be.
If it were true, we wouldn't see updates for the rest of this century

D9b9a6feccfd2f91f76fbb604c3790ec4d0137ed_128
joined Jan 11, 2018

How can I support the author online? I have seen it on amazon, but for reasons (adulthood, girlfriend, our own place) I don't feel comfortable with buying the physical copies of the manga. I would still like to support the author financially, though.

Could anyone help me out? Thanks.

Jhkjhk
joined Jan 7, 2014

How can I support the author online? I have seen it on amazon, but for reasons (adulthood, girlfriend, our own place) I don't feel comfortable with buying the physical copies of the manga. I would still like to support the author financially, though.

You could buy her Touhou doujins. The acrylic figures are cute and don't scream devil worshipping and aren't overly gay. Next Degenkiya's volume (mostly shounen material) will have a cute yagakimi schedule. Not sure if buying GET IN THE RING albums (touhou music circle, with nice instrumentals + vocals might I add) would help since she drew many of the covers maybe? Sadly, most of the websites I find with merchandise are mostly the manga, since I'm taking into account that you want to directly support Nakatani and not buy used/resold stuff from websites like suruga-ya and Japanese proxies.

joined Nov 5, 2017

You can buy the e-book (kindle) version of the manga volumes. That way you can have them in your computer.

D9b9a6feccfd2f91f76fbb604c3790ec4d0137ed_128
joined Jan 11, 2018

You can buy the e-book (kindle) version of the manga volumes. That way you can have them in your computer.

I don't have a kindle, so I never even thought e-books were an option! They're on amazon, too! Thanks so much for letting me know! I bought everything available.

And thanks @Mizusi for the suggestions! I'll look into supporting her in other ways as well.

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

Random thought does anyone know if amnesia-san's phone pin of 2664 have any significance? Or is it just a random number?

joined Mar 15, 2017

Random thought does anyone know if amnesia-san's phone pin of 2664 have any significance? Or is it just a random number?

She got the right number by adding the 3 dates together, meaning all 3 dates were important to her.

S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

She got the right number by adding the 3 dates together, meaning all 3 dates were important to her.

I must admit I was thinking of from a cultural angle, but you are right those events must have had some meaning to her.

To reply you must either login or sign up.