Forum › Their Story discussion

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Surely irl a glasses case would be too sturdy to be broken by a pile of paper (unless it's a pile so large it couldn't be randomly carried by someone) ...

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Pyoro posted:

Surely irl a glasses case would be too sturdy to be broken by a pile of paper (unless it's a pile so large it couldn't be randomly carried by someone) ...

Typically glasses cases are built sturdily enough that someone would have to stomp on it to risk damaging its contents so yeah, it'd have to be a seriously enormous pile of paper to risk damaging them through a case.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

He took it out of the case.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Ah ... right. Shows how much attention I paid. Maybe I should get some glasses myself ...

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

And I just ordered new glasses the other day. Guess I'd better break that bad habit of hiding them under a paper or they might get crushed. ...Wait, I never did that. Though when I was a child I did hide them in a clothes hamper once as a prank... then forgot about it the next morning, couldn't find them, and had to go to school without them. (I couldn't see without glasses then either.)

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

There used to be (back when most men and women wore hats) a superstiition that it was unlucky to put a hat on a bed. There was actually a practical reason for not putting your hat on the bed--it's much more likely that someone will accidentally sit on it than if you put it on a table (or a hatrack).

"Don't put your glasses on your school desk--and certainly don't cover them up with anything" isn't an official saying. But maybe it should be.

Also cases are a thing, Tattletale!

Actually I'm surprised he didn't have a case.

I'd actually forgotten, but he -does-. He took them out so he could look at them. Then he covered them with a napkin, both preventing him from being able to look at them, failing to protect them, and also hiding them from Mr Stack-of-books.

joined Aug 22, 2016

What gets me is, if they were going to have a hissy fit about a confession, just what exactly did they think they were publishing in the first place?

I wonder if it's a case of publishers being sensitive to government regulation - or fear of what may soon be government regulations - and trying to mitigate risk in that sense. Given that recently we've seen a crackdown on suggestive character designs in online games, they may be a bit gunshy about stuff like this.

The chilling effect goes well beyond the actual limits of government interference, and companies will often self-censor even further than the actual censorship is designed to cover, just in case.

I could be wrong but i believe the new law about representation of LGBT+ in Chinese media may have come into affect after a publishing deal was already made?

According to Tan Jiu, the second volume entered publication, but publication was halted due to the earlier ban. Later, her publisher came to her and said that publication would resume if she censored the confession scene -- the publisher saying that at the very least, Tan Jiu could make some money off of her work. I would assume that the publisher was pressured not to publish the work, and offered Tan Jiu the only option they could. If the publisher was against LGBT content, they wouldn't have published the first volume and started publication on the second volume. The publisher isn't throwing a "hissy fit", this is a reaction to a government ban that carries the possibility of severe repercussions if not followed.

As to the first comment in the quote, I'm certain that they were quite aware of what was to be published hence the decision not to publish Their Story without censorship.

The original ban was only meant to cover online visual/audio media, and I doubt the government included grandfather clauses which wouldn't have mattered anyway as publication of the second volume began after the ban. What I find interesting is that the ban itself is not well enforced as Weibo continues to allow the postings of LGBT content. When Weibo refused at first, their stocks dropped, and so they capitulated. But they seem to be just fine now.

Knowing how these governments work, and how easy it is to twist bans of this kind to extend them, it's quite likely that since Their Story has an online version, the entire product can be considered online visual/audio media, thus physical publication can be, and has been, impacted by the ban.

last edited at Feb 5, 2018 2:33AM

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

No "daily life" tag.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yes... YES YES we jumped like 400 chapters

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Sun Jing looks nice with the medium length hair. Much better than the early images of her with short hair.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Confused but okay. It's back to lighthearted comedy.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Every once in a while, we get the reminder that there are less free countries... The US is ruled by a group of mostly old conservative men, but even they dare not mess with our freedom very much. Most of Europe is similar.

China seemed like it was just like the western world because it became rich, but a crackdown like this shows the truth - it's not a free country. I hope this doesn't get worse.

While China is not a free country, I think you're a bit overoptimistic about the US. Freedom of speech isn't messed with very much. Freedom of assembly is seriously limited, freedom from unreasonable search and seizure is pretty much gone, as is simple freedom from being arbitrarily thrown in jail, particularly if you're not white--although so far the dominant way this is applied is random rather than political. And, of course, if you're black they can just shoot you down like a dog because they feel like it. So really, most of the components of your Pinochet Chile style state are there, except you're allowed to complain about it.
Actually, if you're black, the US is a far more oppressive police state than China--the US' massive incarceration rate, as skewed to over-represent blacks, becomes a serious daily risk factor. I mean, the incarceration rate is far higher in the US than China for everyone, but for most people that still doesn't represent something likely enough to feel like a major constraint on freedom. But for blacks the chance of a negative interaction with legal authorities becomes so high and its nature so arbitrary that it really seems to be experienced as a significant level of oppression at a practical level.

Freedom-wise, what's changed in the US lately is that LGBTetc got to at least partly leave the stepped-on crowd; blacks and the poor and to some extent Latinos are still there and Muslims recently got put in.

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

Sun Jing looks nice with the medium length hair. Much better than the early images of her with short hair.

Buh buh

I love my tomboys with short hair. D:

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

So when is the plot coming back?

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

Oh time skip.

Snowfox
joined Jan 31, 2015

For a moment, I thought I was reading Magan&Danai.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

What I love is how helplessly in love Sun Jing is. It renders her powerless.

joined Nov 26, 2017

The adrenaline rush, I so love it.

joined Dec 28, 2017

Poor glasses. :(

Commandershepard13
1071350_639308102760295_1399509523_o
joined Mar 24, 2014

Every once in a while, we get the reminder that there are less free countries... The US is ruled by a group of mostly old conservative men, but even they dare not mess with our freedom very much. Most of Europe is similar.

China seemed like it was just like the western world because it became rich, but a crackdown like this shows the truth - it's not a free country. I hope this doesn't get worse.

While China is not a free country, I think you're a bit overoptimistic about the US. Freedom of speech isn't messed with very much. Freedom of assembly is seriously limited, freedom from unreasonable search and seizure is pretty much gone, as is simple freedom from being arbitrarily thrown in jail, particularly if you're not white--although so far the dominant way this is applied is random rather than political. And, of course, if you're black they can just shoot you down like a dog because they feel like it. So really, most of the components of your Pinochet Chile style state are there, except you're allowed to complain about it.
Actually, if you're black, the US is a far more oppressive police state than China--the US' massive incarceration rate, as skewed to over-represent blacks, becomes a serious daily risk factor. I mean, the incarceration rate is far higher in the US than China for everyone, but for most people that still doesn't represent something likely enough to feel like a major constraint on freedom. But for blacks the chance of a negative interaction with legal authorities becomes so high and its nature so arbitrary that it really seems to be experienced as a significant level of oppression at a practical level.

Freedom-wise, what's changed in the US lately is that LGBTetc got to at least partly leave the stepped-on crowd; blacks and the poor and to some extent Latinos are still there and Muslims recently got put in.

be ready to people calling you communist or stuff like that, last time I only replied a guy by saying not every non-US citizen in the world wishes to go there (actually most people I know dont want to go there '-') and the first reply I've got was "that's some commie talk"...

Usually the Commie accusations are sarcastic. Usually.
That being said, I don't think this is the appropriate website for this kind of discussion.

Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Hmm mm more heart healing stuff, I love it.

Chibi2
joined Jul 23, 2015

Poor SJ, I strongly relate abt delivery feels ;-;

joined Feb 23, 2013

pre-ordering games

Please don't do that.

last edited at Feb 13, 2018 5:49AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

The author seems determined not to show me what happened with the fangirl. At this rate it will take like, 20 chapters. It even utilised a time-skip just to avoid the issue. All that dramatic buildup, and now this. Aftermath, glasses, time-skip, and now pre-ordering games. I mean, do not get me wrong, these are all cute and I like them, plus, it seems obvious those who predicted the drama period would be short were in the right, but I still very much want to see it. This pacing is actually pretty horrible, since the drama angle was consistently being built up for like, three or four chapters.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

And that is why, despite me originally hating digital distribution, I've come to appreciate the advantages of not having to wait for a package.

Although I miss the free mushrooms.

last edited at Feb 13, 2018 7:33AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.