I like the angle. Is there more?

joined Feb 23, 2016

maybe or nope in this :>

joined Mar 13, 2016

i came prepared for the worst, but was pleasantly suprised

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I am entirely for this, it's well written.

Shimapanda Uploader
Girls in Boxes
joined Oct 18, 2014

I can't be the only one who had absolutely no idea what was going on in this one. The language didn't seem to make sense half the time?

Jill
joined Aug 15, 2016

I like the pacing for this one a lot.

lazylikeyourass
Capture
joined Mar 26, 2016

Yukiko's mom has got it going on.

FriedBreadfast
Weh
joined Nov 20, 2016

She's all that I've wanted and I've waited for so long.

joined Dec 19, 2016

It sucks for the husband. Also, kind of a dumb reason to fall for her. Because she said her name? Does her husband not do that?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

It sucks for the husband. Also, kind of a dumb reason to fall for her. Because she said her name? Does her husband not do that?

At least in fiction, a lot of married couples with kids refer to each other as "mom" and "dad", the same as the kids.

joined Dec 19, 2016

At least in fiction, a lot of married couples with kids refer to each other as "mom" and "dad", the same as the kids.

Still though, seems like a dumb reason.

joined Apr 27, 2017

I think the language was probably very hard to translate, mostly because the mom has mixed emotions of envy and desire, and her dialogue was written in a very modest, Japanese way.

YeShallBeAsGods
Untitled
joined Sep 10, 2015

It's safe to say that brand of crushing existentialism doesn't just come from a happy, fulfilling life. Seems like there's more issues in the background, though nothing in the text explicitly points to it.

But!

What do these three flowers mean in the language of the flowers!?

last edited at Jun 3, 2017 1:25AM

joined Dec 19, 2016

It's safe to say that brand of crushing existentialism doesn't just come from a happy, fulfilling life. Seems like there's more issues in the background, though nothing in the text explicitly points to it.

But!

What do these three flowers mean in the language of the flowers!?

Still though. I feel bad for the husband.

Here are flower meanings, but they all have multiple in each.

http://www.flowermeaning.com/lilly-flower-meaning/
http://www.flowermeaning.com/baby-breath-flower/
http://www.flowermeaning.com/daisy-flower-meaning/

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

leann123 posted:

Are they still actually together though? The story's not exactly clear on the subject but it seems to suggest that they're still technically married but aren't actually together.

joined Apr 25, 2017

Can someone explain the last bit. From the speech, i get that Chitose wont ever state her feelings or ask for anything, but make Saa-chan say them for her and make her ask for the things they both want. But the small back text i just cant understand. That is NOT a proper sentence.

joined Aug 28, 2016

Can someone explain the last bit. From the speech, i get that Chitose wont ever state her feelings or ask for anything, but make Saa-chan say them for her and make her ask for the things they both want. But the small back text i just cant understand. That is NOT a proper sentence.

As I understood it, Chitose's basically manipulating Sayuri into making all the moves to initiate a relationship by holding back just enough that Sayuri will have to pursue her. She seems to be doing it so that she'll feel less predatory that way, although I wonder how well it'll work for her when she knows exactly what she's doing and why.

Ozy_avatar
joined Jan 30, 2013

leann123 posted:

Are they still actually together though? The story's not exactly clear on the subject but it seems to suggest that they're still technically married but aren't actually together.

Considering how she made a big deal of hearing her name, I don't think she's seen her husband for a while...

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

leann123 posted:

I think this is the husband, bottom right, the man with the tie
The name part is probs meaningful to her cus it's like Sayuri sees and acknowledges her as a person, as who she is, while to others, she's just this role in x person's life. Who is she? She's the mother, she's the wife.
But to Sayuri, she's Chitose, she's still her own person.
Err, something like that. A sense of identity.

last edited at Jun 3, 2017 4:26AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

leann123 posted:

Considering how she made a big deal of hearing her name, I don't think she's seen her husband for a while...

She mentions "losing her first name" upon having kids; I'm pretty sure it's about what Nezchan said: I've seen it in manga and heard it said a few times that Japanese couples with children often actually address each other as "mom" and "dad" rather than by name. This has always struck me as a freaky custom; I can see experiencing it as a sort of erasure of the self.
As to the husband, though . . . looking over it again, we have almost no information. He appears, faceless, in a frame or two at the very beginning, saying polite morning commonplaces that indicate zero about the relationship either way. She mentions once near the end that she is married, present tense, and that is all we know. This seems in a weird way a bit unfair. Talk about erasure--it's a kind of manipulation by the author. Chitose's getting ready to cheat on this guy and we notice her perspective--the forbidden passion, the identity crisis--but we don't notice that there's another person being betrayed because he's been almost completely removed from the picture.

last edited at Jun 3, 2017 4:35AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I have seen numerous manga/anime, where we actually never get to know a character's firstname.

Especially married women, and even men.

The husband calls his wife "omae", because to call her by her first name + chan or san, feels like he's addressing a friend. And after a few years of marriage, they are something more than friends. The wife calls her husband with "anata" for the same reason. They are close, but are not "friends". They are more than that.

Then they have kids.

The kids ask "where is otousan?" and the mother answers "otousan is asleep", or something. Then "Otousan" becomes the preferred way to call him in the house. Same thing for "okaasan".

In the presence of guests, the husband may just use her firstname, without san or chan, or just "oiii" to call her, because calling her "omae" can be confusing. Then he becomes accustomed to use "oi" and now the name of wife is omitted and "oi" becomes the pronoun for calling his wife. Often wives complain "I am not an oi".

It's just the way Japanese works. It's uncalled for to criticize it, I think though.

I think the fact that the mother feels strange when being called "Chitose" is mainly because it take her back to her youth and implies a level of proximity with the girl that she didn't feel in a while.

Capture
joined Mar 12, 2014

She's all that I've wanted and I've waited for so long.

OH my God I love you guys.

It's from this if anyone's curious: https://soundcloud.com/revydutch/pharahs-mom

Anw I don't like this much, mom looks exactly like her daughter. Hmm maybe they're a vampire family...

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

As I understood it, Chitose's basically manipulating Sayuri into making all the moves to initiate a relationship by holding back just enough that Sayuri will have to pursue her. She seems to be doing it so that she'll feel less predatory that way, although I wonder how well it'll work for her when she knows exactly what she's doing and why.

to add to this, Chitose is also doing it to give herself an out. because after all, she never actually said that she loves sayuri or agreed to going out with her.

To reply you must either login or sign up.