Forum › Virgins' Empire discussion

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'm actually less worried about the psychopaths who commit murders and more worried about the ones who become investment bankers or government policymakers. But basically, I'm a tit-for-tat kind of person. So if someone isn't going to care about me and would harm me without a second thought if it were to their advantage, I am in turn far far less likely to care about them and will have fewer second thoughts about harming them. I suspect that's a survival trait. Caring about psychopaths, whether the murderous kind or not is a good way to get hosed. And really, a non-murderous psychopath is just a psychopath who has never so far seen murder as a safe and profitable course of action; most psychopaths in well knit societies never do kill anyone because we're fairly successful at making it a dumb idea, but if they thought they could make a thousand bucks off it and not get caught, you'd be gone.

And we have no real way of knowing what they are truly bothered by--they'd lie.

Incidentally, psychopathy is a spectrum, and traits characteristic of psychopathy can be acquired. As a rather key for-instance, the acquisition of wealth seems to foster psychopathic traits.

last edited at Apr 29, 2016 5:24AM

Ourobouros2
joined Feb 17, 2016

I'm actually less worried about the psychopaths who commit murders and more worried about the ones who become investment bankers or government policymakers

I can broadly sympathise with this. Physical violence put me in hospital for a night, but workplace backstabbing put me on anti-depressants for much longer, and it affected more people than just me.

I try not to demonise anyone whose politics oppose mine, or people in the financial industry, but it is disturbing when systems openly select for dangerous traits. It's hard not to feel that something has to change, even if I'm ill-equipped to say what.

But basically, I'm a tit-for-tat kind of person.

I'm more the stoic, yielding type, both by temperament and upbringing, though I have limits like any functioning adult. I guess this may account for some differences in our perspective that we can't easily resolve, not that we should want to, of course.

Caring about psychopaths, whether the murderous kind or not is a good way to get hosed.

Perhaps, but one can practise empathy while managing one's boundaries. It's very much a requirement for some jobs. In fact, if you're consistently dealing with the wobblier side of humanity, it might be the sole means of staying sane.

And we have no real way of knowing what they are truly bothered by--they'd lie.

I feel you could say that about most people, and they'd lie for plenty of reasons other than self-interest or malice. You may find this interesting. It's an article by an apparently typical person, who has the brain profile of a psychopath. I don't feel their personal account is any more self-serving or unreliable than many.

As a rather key for-instance, the acquisition of wealth seems to foster psychopathic traits.

I suspect we're on the same side of an ideological fence.

I'll have to check out of the discussion for now because I'll either begin to sprawl beyond my scope or chase my own tail, if I'm not doing so already. I think we've clocked each other's angles without eating each other alive. That will do for me.

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

I'm actually less worried about the psychopaths who commit murders and more worried about the ones who become investment bankers or government policymakers

I can broadly sympathise with this. Physical violence put me in hospital for a night, but workplace backstabbing put me on anti-depressants for much longer, and it affected more people than just me.

I think the point is that psychopathic investment bankers and their ilk are able to do much more damage than a serial killer ever could. There is no telling how much long term damage Exxon's climate change disinformation strategy did, for example but it's definitely more than the equivalence of a couple human lives.

Ourobouros2
joined Feb 17, 2016

I think the point is that psychopathic investment bankers and their ilk are able to do much more damage than a serial killer ever could. There is no telling how much long term damage Exxon's climate change disinformation strategy did, for example but it's definitely more than the equivalence of a couple human lives.

That was the point I took away. I just felt more comfortable using personal experience to demonstrate my understanding, rather than complex global affairs, about which I may be wrong.

Also, I've perhaps undersold the scale I was describing. I've seen toxic workplaces chew up and spit out hundreds of people, no exaggeration. I've done my time in several busy distribution centres, and I've seen the knock-on effects of such mayhem on families, communities, contractors and other businesses. Around the turn of the millennium, shenanigans destroyed several workplaces that were the lifeblood of my area. The fallout was ugly, sometimes fatal.

Anyhow, I've proven myself a liar once by posting when I said I wouldn't. Put it down to my vain panic over not expressing myself clearly. I'll try not to prove myself a liar again.

drpepperfan Admin
Ss%20(2018-09-18%20at%2004.40.05)
joined Oct 12, 2010

Forgot to clarify, chapter 30 has been redone.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

And Midori is already one of my favourite characters, she's just such an exuberant little nerd.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I compared a few pages, it's quite an improvement, gj DrMario
Edit: And thank you for your work too

last edited at May 1, 2016 12:53PM

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

I compared a few pages, it's quite an improvement, gj DrMario

Yeah, looks great! Also thank you for the contents page, that makes finding stuff much easier!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'll have to check out of the discussion for now because I'll either begin to sprawl beyond my scope or chase my own tail, if I'm not doing so already. I think we've clocked each other's angles without eating each other alive. That will do for me.

That seems fair. Cheers!

New chapter is funny. Man, if you were around that kid much you'd need a supply of lollipops or something to manage her mood.

last edited at May 1, 2016 1:20PM

Stroke_it
joined Aug 1, 2014

Anyhow, I've proven myself a liar once by posting when I said I wouldn't. Put it down to my vain panic over not expressing myself clearly. I'll try not to prove myself a liar again.

Sorry for baiting you! Seems we're on the same page anyhow.

joined Apr 30, 2014

Eh, not what I expected for #69

HopeFromYuri
5b3c524e-e066-4eaf-8e5f-ae4e37b5edda
joined Jan 18, 2016

Omg the new characters were great in this one, awesome like always

7559b8a9-a380-4c4d-84c0-67d9a337a5d3
joined Jan 30, 2013

bahahahaha that manga club is the best LMAO XD

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Every yuri has that one point of the story where there's more actual yaoi than yuri.
Why must you hurt me so?

last edited at May 1, 2016 5:23PM

Psx_20160306_172109
joined Mar 21, 2013

"Close the country"
Reminds me of that Japan history video.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Lmao... Midori is such an adorable little nerd! Honoka's frienfs are just as weird as she is, I'm relieved for some reason. xD

joined Jul 17, 2013

I am just like Midori when it comes about drawing.

Mai%20shiranui_dom
joined Jun 27, 2015

So, a random loli appears...not complaining though she's kinda cute. Honoka's other friends however...like what's with the mask girl? Is she sick? A condition? Or is she really wearing it for the heck of it? I feel like she'll be like Kakashi and never reveal her face. Or they'll have some special chapter where she finally takes it off and she looks super cute or something. I do love however that Honoka's club friends are just as...eccentric, as she is. It would be great to see Elisha join the group.

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

Honoka chapters are always...bizarre.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

Midori's short legs looks kinda weird... Guess that's why she's nicknamed "dinosaur"

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, that was just a meh chapter.

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

^^ ehhh speak for yourself! I love Miyoshi's booty :p

Also that nge reference was top tier

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Well, that was just a meh chapter.

Yeah, this felt like a bit of a throwback to the much more fanservice centric early chapters which are my least favourite chapters.

Kitsune Spirit
Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

Oh come on, Honoka laughing at herself and making the NGE joke was the best part.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

All's well that ends well.

To reply you must either login or sign up.