Forum › The Mistress Story discussion

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

She actually said "Don't worry, I am not the type to force someone". She saying she isn't interested in rape or something like that. She definitely didn't say sweetie.

Then it is the fault of the translation. The panel I read said what I have quoted. Perhaps some better preparation next time, scanlation team? Assuming the poster above is correct, I have no way of knowing that.

The situation still looked like a prelude to a rape, though.

I read all the way to chapter 14. I can tell you that there is no rape. Gunj just doesn't know how to treat people lol

Well then, one minus less for her. She is still in the negative, though.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

She actually said "Don't worry, I am not the type to force someone". She saying she isn't interested in rape or something like that. She definitely didn't say sweetie.

Then it is the fault of the translation. The panel I read said what I have quoted. Perhaps some better preparation next time, scanlation team? Assuming the poster above is correct, I have no way of knowing that.

The situation still looked like a prelude to a rape, though.

It was definitely sexual assault though, and ethically fucked up besides. Plus, it was clearly done under threat of the younger girl losing her job, which gets underlined at the end.

Although taking a look at chapter 3 again with the idea that she's not very good at interacting with people, you could read her turning away as a realization that she's fucking things up on some level and backing off. I'd actually like the story more if there it went in that direction, that her "confident mistress" routine to some degree was just a façade, and she doesn't know as much as she thinks she does. It would certainly make her more human and interesting.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

I read all the way to chapter 14. I can tell you that there is no rape. Gunj just doesn't know how to treat people lol

Issue isn't exactly whether there will be rape or not in latter chapter, it's that the way the OL goes on that waitress feels like she's about to assault/rape her any second, then have the guts to tell her "hey, it's no like I'm going to rape you !" and that the waitress, obviously feeling threathened there, doesn't have the simple idea to call for help knowing that there's her boss minding the shop just one door away, so probably well whithin earshot.

If the waitress was supposed to look intrigued/tempted there, the author did a pretty bad job to convey that feeling.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Interesting.

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Thanks for clarifying, everyone, about the BDSM relationships.I think, it's actually a great thing if you can trust someone completely and both enjoy it. Maybe I just don't trust people, lol. ^_^ Anyway this manga is not a good representation.

Ng3ss01_thumb
joined Dec 3, 2015

Issue isn't exactly whether there will be rape or not in latter chapter, it's that the way the OL goes on that waitress feels like she's about to assault/rape her any second, then have the guts to tell her "hey, it's no like I'm going to rape you !" and that the waitress, obviously feeling threathened there, doesn't have the simple idea to call for help knowing that there's her boss minding the shop just one door away, so probably well whithin earshot.

If the waitress was supposed to look intrigued/tempted there, the author did a pretty bad job to convey that feeling.

I agree it was mess up going that far. Gunj was definitely testing to see how far would it take for Paytai to fight back. Then she realize she went too far and stop.
Gunj is into BDSM but she was never in love. Her relationships with other women wasn't normal to begin with(like using money for BDSM sex). She also the dominate type. I don't know much about the rules of BDSM myself but it seem everyone is upset that there isn't any love and trust. But those things will develop because this time is different. Gunj payed Paytai to play pretend to be her girlfriend. And Gunj never have a girlfriend. She never even go on a date lol. But it seem she'll go through all the steps of dating and falling in love.

last edited at Dec 3, 2015 2:31PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

As I said before. We are doing QC. Or more like we are giving suggestions for translator AND THE AUTHOR (because they are working together at Eng version - and yes, I have direct contact to both of them).

So first version was:

I’m not going to struggle you, girl.

Our suggestion:

I’m not going to force you, girl.

After that (so after author and translator decided what to put in the bubble :P):

I'm not going to rape you, girl. - As you may see, it was translator and Author's idea ;)

Last QC at scans (suggestion)

I'm not going to rape you, Darling/Honey/Sweetie

Final version/scans:

I'm not going to rape you, Sweetie.

So if Author was ok with that I won't argue :P

last edited at Dec 3, 2015 2:57PM

Ng3ss01_thumb
joined Dec 3, 2015

As I said before. We are doing QC. Or more like we are giving suggestions for translator AND THE AUTHOR (because they are working together at Eng version - and yes, I have direct contact to both of them).

So first version was:

I’m not going to struggle you, girl.

Our suggestion:

I’m not going to force you, girl.

After that (so after author and translator decided what to put in the bubble :P):

I'm not going to rape you, girl. - As you may see, it was translator and Author's idea ;)

Last QC at scans (suggestion)

I'm not going to rape you, Darling/Honey/Sweetie

Final version/scans:

I'm not going to rape you, Sweetie.

So if Author was ok with that I won't argue :P

"I'm not going to rape you, Sweetie." would sound more like this in Thai "ฉันไม่ข่มขืนเธอหรอกน่าสาวน้อย"

But the panel said "ฉันไม่มีรสนิยมขืนใจใครหรอกน่า" which should be this kind of tone in English "I'm not the type to force someone"

Which you can see, it have different kind of tone/context. But if the author agree then I can't argue about it. I do find it odd that you feel the need to put "girl" or "sweetie" at the end of the sentence when it shouldn't be there at all.

Also, I am not intending to be rude. Please don't take me the wrong way.

last edited at Dec 3, 2015 3:35PM

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

I don't know Thai so I can't discuss about all these snakes shaped letters :P Translation (Thai>Eng) is doing Thai person so if she gives us this text we assume it's correct (also Coco knows some Thai - so she can suggest other sentences to keep the meaning - and she's native Eng that's why she is doing main QC ^^).

Also you should remember that sometimes TN can't translate directly something, because it would sound stiff.

Buuuut as I said. Author and Translator have the last word for this :P

last edited at Dec 3, 2015 3:43PM

Ng3ss01_thumb
joined Dec 3, 2015

I don't know Thai so I can't discuss about all these snakes shaped letters :P Translation (Thai>Eng) is doing Thai person so if she gives us this text we assume it's correct (also Coco knows some Thai - so she can suggest other sentences to keep the meaning - and she's native Eng that's why she is doing main QC ^^).

Also you should remember that sometimes TN can't translate directly something, because it would sound stiff.

Buuuut as I said. Author and Translator have the last word for this :P

I knew I would rub you guys the wrong way when I decide to open my mouth >>
I do appreciate the English translations. But "I'm not going to rape you, sweetie" really isn't the right tone. I know it can't be translate words by words because it would sound weird. I used to translate Thai songs back in the day(My youtube account got deleted due to copy rights hahah). I know the feeling of not knowing the right words.
Ok, I'll leave you now @
@

Kira%202
joined Nov 29, 2014

There's really not that big of a difference between those two. Sweetie or not, she's a shitty person in both versions.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

I'm now Coco's messenger so this post is from her :P

"I'm not going to rape you, Sweetie." would sound more like this in Thai "ฉันไม่ข่มขืนเธอหรอกน่าสาวน้อย"

But the panel said "ฉันไม่มีรสนิยมขืนใจใครหรอกน่า" which should be this kind of tone in English "I'm not the type to force someone"

Which you can see, it have different kind of tone/context. But if the author agree then I can't argue about it. I do find it odd that you feel the need to put "girl" or "sweetie" at the end of the sentence when it shouldn't be there at all.

I try to put something closer to the actual translation while also taking into account what was given to me by the author themselves. The translations they give me to work with are extremely rough so it takes a lot of back and forth on my part to get it right. It isn't always easy since they don't always put my suggestion, so when I am doing final QC and I see they put something different that I don't think actually fits the plot, characters, or situation, but it is clear the author wants it that way, then I try to compromise and reword it to work a bit better. For example I know "sweetie" was not in there but neither was "girl". The author added that so I decided to suggest other nicknames since you don't typically flirt using "girl". I also did not like the line about rape since I also think it doesn't follow the tone. I put I'm not going to force you since it is closer to the translations. The Author themselves went with rape. So I could do nothing there except try and compromise with the ending as I've said before. I do however appreciate all of your feedback and am not offended. In fact I encourage it. Hopefully this will help with future chapters in convincing the author to also be more flexible haha.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Weird choice from the author, though. That situation was clearly a sexual assault, and it looked for a moment like it might lead to a full-blown rape, regardless of what was actually being said. So for the author to choose a wording that actually makes it worse is, well, odd. In any case, thank you for the clarification, Alextasha.

last edited at Dec 3, 2015 5:09PM

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

so it's not very representative of bdsm and it's resembling fifty shades of grey?

Definitely not representative.

Terms, conditions, and safewords are generally outlined in advance. Nothing is forced, and there is always a way out of the situation if you feel uncomfortable. Sometimes it can choreographed or thought ahead, where the participants are acting out roles and know what's coming. Interesting basic article here. What's depicted in this story is someone forcing themselves on another and manipulating them (ie: "I could have raped you, but didn't. Look how nice I am. You're such a little idiot. Let me control you.") Which, if you're into that in a fantasy sense, sure, go ahead. But it's not BDSM culture.

Writing quality reminds me of Fifty Shades. Lol. Reads like terrible FanFiction.

I think the comments explaining that this isn't BDSM are pretty necessary. There are a lot of misconceptions about the concept of dominance and submission in sex, especially with trying to reconcile that with true feminism (read: not sjws and fake feminazis) and autonomy. There's a lot of interesting articles about how people feel empowered and fulfilled when introducing healthy play like this into their sex lives. I don't personally participate myself but I think it's pretty fascinating.

Enlightening. Thanks!

joined Oct 30, 2015

Shit! I read from Righ to Left! I'm just so used to reading Manga from Left to Right!! Aghhhhh!! Restartttttt

joined Dec 22, 2015

When Cap 4? I Can't Wait

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Page 2: "Are you really so pungent?"

That means he smells bad. I wonder if that's the word you were going for.

Alextasha Uploader
Crystal3
Three Musqueerteers
joined Sep 25, 2013

hmm will check it (I'm not native :P), probably it should be "harsh" or sth

Edit: my QCer said "It also means repulsive, or having a strong taste opinion" so I believe her xD

last edited at Jan 2, 2016 3:23PM

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Well, there's the foundation for a healthy relationship. Fumbling around when you have no clue what you're doing, and randomly intimidating some girl you barely know the name of. And apparently cribbing notes from 50 Shades in the process.

Also, I'm totally confused about the whole firing thing. The way it's presented, I thought for a bit that the MC was let go.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

hmm will check it (I'm not native :P), probably it should be "harsh" or sth

Edit: my QCer said "It also means repulsive, or having a strong taste opinion" so I believe her xD

In English it means a repulsive smell or taste, in the literal sense. I've almost never heard it used figuratively, in a situation like that. It would be a huge insult, said directly to his face too.

Basically comes off as "You reek! Do you ever take a bath?"

Ihaveseenthelight
joined May 28, 2013

It's getting better. If the intro was more fleshed out, I think this would be good.

joined Aug 11, 2014

Oh, so it's literally Fifty Shades with lesbians. Faaaaantastic. I mean, it was pretty clear about it's inspirations, before, but yeah. I guess the fact that she's specifically looking for a girlfriend-for-hire, in this case, is sort of an improvement? Like, she's not under the delusion that this is how relationships work, at least. Still not exactly impressed. Was looking for yuri BDSM, rather than yuri abusive relationships + leather.

joined Jan 2, 2016

I don't know why but this latest chapter look a bit same with 50shades of grey (if u ppls know this movie lol)

last edited at Jan 2, 2016 4:01PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think it will start as a D/s relationship and evolve eventually into more balanced romance.

Never kissed and "I don't want to kiss anyone I don't love".

Foreshadowing for future feelings probably.

41d15eb7093baec072fbb832ad7e1d7d
joined Jun 27, 2014

Shes a SS rated sadist and dominating control freak ! Can't stand women like that , now I have the heebie jeebies . Must go wash myself this makes me feel dirty ewwwwww.

To reply you must either login or sign up.