Forum › New Game discussion

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

Crying about something just means you really care about it, and that can include work. I didn't find it to be too melodramatic, she worked really hard at something and had an understandably emotional moment.

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 5:36PM

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

Not gonna lie, I choked up a little :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6XHbNPkzCo
According to Episode 4 preview, we know that Hifumi going to be promoted to a character team leader. (at 0:25)
That means the (long awaited) legendary scene will be on-air soon. (Ep.5 I guess)

Which scene?

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 6:05PM

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

An Aoba x Kou chapter so I really liked it. This whole rivalry, mentoring and friendship will be the main plot till the end of this manga, I assume.

That moment when Aoba cried recognising the gulf of class between the two was heart-breaking. But I am glad that she managed to move on right away. Funnily enough that by proposing the contest, she already trust in Kou to wipe the floor with her

Personally I don't think Aoba will be ever as good as an artist as Kou. The later has both talent and hard working so she will always be the best. But it will be the rivalry with Aoba that gonna keep bringing the best out of Kou

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 6:54PM

Yuri
joined May 11, 2015

How is the chapter crap? Aoba was crying over visually seeing how far she still had to go as an artist to match Kou, not because she was a sore loser. She can accept that she lost the competition because she respects Kou's work.

That's right, when you try your best and is not enough of course it hurts but this is a company to make games, not a Novela Mexicana so no need to draw out the drama, there's still a lot of work ahead. She accepts that she lost the chance because she actually tried and acknowledged that her work was inferior instead of losing just because the company says so.

What competition? What chance? When the winner is set right from the beginning, that's no competition. Aoba never had ANY chance to win anything.

Personally from my point of view:

As Aoba I wouldn't have even "competed" against Kou. This is a pointless competition. As said before: Even IF she had drawn the better artwork - which she in my opinion has, since Kou's work looks like absolute crap imo - she would have lost to the company. Why would it make me feel better competing against her?

As Kou: Presented those options by the company I'd personally gave a shit about it and they could just hire some random illustrator who has nothing to do with the company, the game or the art whatsoever. It's their budget. If they like to waste it, go ahead.

I like the art of Kou, but her design on the magazine was just wonky and weird and didn't match the things I've seen of the game so far in any way. But it doesn't matter because as said before: she could literally have drawn a big pile of bearpoo with some ponytails and the company would have taken it.

Big names sell - even if they have nothing to do with the game.

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 7:06PM

risingstar3110
joined Feb 15, 2013

^ Think you got too personal on that

I saw this different than you though. Kou definitely is more talent. She not only managed to finish the drawing way earlier but hers was frankly better suited as a magazine cover (Aoba work as a poster through, so maybe that's why the mangaka have her hanging it on)

The thing is, Aoba believe... no trust... that Kou will defeat her hand-down. Aoba stumbled upon a better idea and won the competition last time. But instead of moping around about publisher denying her big debut, she actually trusted in Kou to defeat her fair and square when comes to pure talent along. And Kou did splendidly.

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 7:25PM

themusicman500
Non-messed%20up%20face
joined Jan 18, 2016

The competition was not about a battle of egos. Aoba's idea was that it would boost Kou's self confidence, and give herself a challenge that would motivate her to improve her art. Aoba cried not out of dissapointment at losing, but at sering how far she still had to go as an artist.

I remember one time after a high school basketball practice, I was casually playing with a teammate who was much better than me, and choking up a little bit thinking about how I wanted to be as good as him.

That's what this chapter meant to me.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

Lol the point for Aoba wasn't to "win". It was to prove to herself that she could do it too. To see how she'd match up against the person she admires.
Hence this: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/new_game_ch50#5
If you missed the whole point of this, obviously these last chapters wouldn't make much sense >_>
It was a really moving chapter tbh, seeing her work do hard and being hit by the reality of things, that she's not quite there yet. It wasn't about the competition or about being on the cover at all.
She hung up her work as a milestone perhaps, the first of many more. Even if it wasn't meant to be published, it's her first illustration.
Really enjoyed it tbh, seeing her growth as an artist, as a character, her efforts and her ambitions.

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 8:20PM

joined Mar 22, 2017

According to Episode 4 preview, we know that Hifumi going to be promoted to a character team leader. (at 0:25)
That means the (long awaited) legendary scene will be on-air soon. (Ep.5 I guess)

Which scene?

Chapter 39 the one that Hifumi scolding Yun. XD

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Hopefully not in front of Aocchi, Nenecchi!

Which scene?

Kou's was way better for cover art. I would use that even if the situations were reversed. But even in Japan, work done for a company belongs to the company, so I would find a use for Aoba's work, too - especially as she probably tabled other work to work on it. Maybe a centerpiece illustration if it comes with a manual. Or as someone wrote above, a poster.

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 10:19PM

joined Nov 14, 2013

Keep in mind that Kou is a "Big Name" in the universe of the manga - she got a special interview for her very first gig and is the reason Aoba decided to go into this line of work. She's like the Toriyama or Amano or Kaneko of Eagle Jump. That's why the publishers wanted her to do it in the first place.

And aside from giving herself a personal challenge, the competition was suggested by Aoba in order to force Kou to actually do the illustration - Aoba is still one of Kou's biggest fans so of course she'd rather have her do the illustration rather than someone else. But aside from that, she's still going to do her best to see how she stacks up now against her idol and mentor.

joined May 24, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/new_game_ch50#5 Moe but still STRONG!

Dun give up!

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I looked them over closely. They're allowed to reveal ONLY the bear town, and they can only HINT at the distinguishing game mechanic. Aoba's is pastoral and scenic, Kou's is action-oriented and dynamic - which is much better for a game cover, especially for a game that's at least 50% action, as this one seems to be. In both illustrations, protagonist-chan (not the one based on Aoba that dies, Sophie, right?) has been apprehended infiltrating the bears in a bear suit. You see her in the center of both illustrations, partly unzipped. However Aoba put her far enough in the background you could ignore her, and Kou put her up front. Aoba emphasized the villages, Kou the protagonist and the action.

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

That was a great chapter. Poor little Aoba though :(
I still ship Kou x Aoba so that hug made me happy

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

WIth each passing chapter, I become more and more depressed that PECO isn't a real game.

11_spq78
joined Jul 24, 2014

New Game started as one of the many "look we have moe girls doing slighlty yuri stuff" manga,so I find awesome how is turnig into something more than that.

last edited at Jul 28, 2017 11:59PM

CitizenJoestar
joined Jan 28, 2016

New Game started as one of the many "look we have moe girls doing slighlty yuri stuff" manga,so I find awesome how is turnig into something more than that.

Exactly what I thought of it. While I adore these moe slice of life series, they're definitely becoming a dime a dozen kind of thing. So many similar character archtypes, yuri-bait, plotlines etc. Plus, they tend to tack on some random hobby, sport, job, club, activity the girls do that the author has some background in and just half-heartedly roll with it.

New Game doesn't actually provide as much insight into the game industry as say Shirobako did for the anime industry, but it does show some pretty relatable workplace drama and has some belivable characters.

Ko and Yun in particular feel realistic albeit extremely cute for the kind of people they are. Ko is the typical workhorse, "do everything in the group project by themself" extremely driven type of person who works 60+ hours a week. You know they are gonna be someone important someday(or already are)but can be a pain to work with because of their inhuman work schedule and perfectionist qualities. Yun is on the opposite spectrum and much more common. A person who does their job well enough to be considered valuable to a company, but not driven enough to get ahead with their own talent. That moment when she said that she doesn't care about the art competition because what's the point if someone like Ko is gonna win anyway is so believable that I'm pretty certain that something like that actually happened to the author or someone he knows.

The only unbelievable part in New Game(besides the cute girls) is no one in Eagle Jump is a shitty employee. Everybody seems like a joy to work with. Like HR wouldn't even be necessary. Everybody just has endearing flaws, nothing worth complaining or being fired over. They have crunch time like every company, but no one really seems mind. In that aspect, New Game could be better, but it's a feel good series at the end of the day.

last edited at Jul 29, 2017 12:42AM

joined Jun 23, 2017

Agree, really liked this chapter. The emotions felt real.

And tbf Kous artwork would make me take a look at the game wheras Aobas I probably would have skipped. Aobas woul make for a decent artbook cover though.

Screenshot_20180828-085722_1
joined Mar 21, 2016

I cringed so hard =,=
this chapter contained a lot of cringey ingredients more than you can imagine. it was so meaningless, mundane , and cliche asf.

aoba was so out of her character throughout the chapter. there's no build up to this shit at all, the last time I saw aoba crying when she saw kou's frustration face. it was established before that aoba was happy just being able to work under kou.
so, what with that crying and frustation face about? its just came out of nowhere , its so repulsive to me. I certainly dont get it.
was like aoba acting when she disappointed and cried after succeed beating kou in the past? was she just joking around whe she said that she's happy just being able to work under kou?
moreover, the ending.. it was so anticlimactic *face palm
*sigh.. this chapter speaks for itself, I dont think I should explain every little things more than this.

Capture
joined Dec 12, 2016

Yeah, MC works hard and still loses. So cliche.. /s

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

As Aoba I wouldn't have even "competed" against Kou. This is a pointless competition. As said before: Even IF she had drawn the better artwork - which she in my opinion has, since Kou's work looks like absolute crap imo - she would have lost to the company. Why would it make me feel better competing against her?

Doing something with the expectation that you'll probably lose is still better than doing nothing because you'll know you'll lose. That was pretty much Yun's arc during the character design contest, that she would just naturally assume defeat and make no progress at all. Trying your hardest and realising the skill of those still ahead of you is still a lot better for personal growth than "this girl is just better than you so why even try"? And clearly Ko wouldn't have put in as much effort on her piece if she had to do it out of protest.

Maxresdefault
joined Dec 26, 2016

Man, i really can't appreciate this situation. As someone who work at an illustration studio for 10+ years, i feel like they're really being unprofessional here. Competitiveness between artists is normal, but keep it outside of work, show it through your personal work, don't waste the company resources on your selfishness.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

It pretty much resulted the same way I was expecting it to, with a little more angst from Aoba than anticipated (I mean, from the very start they said they'd pick Kou's no matter what).

joined May 24, 2014

That's right, when you try your best and is not enough of course it hurts but this is a company to make games, not a Novela Mexicana so no need to draw out the drama,

Godarmn, that was a really good comparison. ... I really, REALLY hate telenovelas so I'm glad new game and most anime isn't like that

Hamansteam2
joined Jan 31, 2013

Aoba is still a kid.

joined Aug 24, 2016

Don't get me wrong i loved this chapter but honestly I hate shit like this it pisses me off and wth did they even need to do this asinine bs competition if they were just going to pick Yagami's art anyways STUPID EAGLE JUMP PRODS.Sorry ignore me just needed to vent cause the last couple chapters ticked me off so much. Other than that it broke my heart when she cried. I was like welp she just admitted defeat.

To reply you must either login or sign up.