Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Seems it might just end with a bang

I think that's been pretty apparent since the last chapter, really.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Seems it might just end with a bang

I think that's been pretty apparent since the last chapter, really.

And more with this chapter since Yuu ask if she can sleep over with Touko and Touko said yes and Touko's parents are out for a hot-spring trip

joined Oct 11, 2018

Perfect ending coming to a perfect series. I hope that when this is over it will inspire more Mangaka to make yuri.

Please, I'm desperate, I've read all I could find.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Gosh. Just like Yuu, I slowly fall in love...with this series. After a lot of resistance, for sure.

Now I don't want it to ever end :-(

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Perfect ending coming to a perfect series. I hope that when this is over it will inspire more Mangaka to make yuri.

I have to say that I can easily imagine authors trying to emulate this specific series and just making boring manga.

Nakatani’s strengths in YagaKimi have been truly excellent staging and pacing, highly disciplined structure, and very subtle use of motifs, verbal and visual echoes and callbacks. Not everyone can do that, and it’s easy to do it clumsily if you try.

There’s no vivid antagonist—as we’ve mentioned, all the characters are basically good, well-intentioned people trying to do the right thing (most of them are pretty smart and thoughtful, too—some of them, like Sayaka, amazingly so).

There are no sudden plot twists or surprising reversals—the big scenes (the play, Yuu’s confession, Sayaka’s confession, etc.) were baked into the story almost from the very start, and they played out very much as we expected them to.

And yet, as the conversations here have indicated, we were often on the edge of our seats wondering what was going to happen next, and theories about the characters and their motivations, some of them fairly outlandish, flew thick and fast.

So as a general exemplar demonstrating that it’s possible to make excellent serialized yuri manga, YagaKimi should be an inspiration to others; as a specific model or template for others to follow, I have my doubts that it’s even possible to replicate.

last edited at Jul 28, 2019 11:57PM

joined Jul 26, 2019

I have to say that I can easily imagine authors trying to emulate this specific series and just making boring manga.

Nakatani’s strengths in YagaKimi have been truly excellent staging and pacing, highly disciplined structure, and very subtle use of motifs, verbal and visual echoes and callbacks. Not everyone can do that, and it’s easy to do it clumsily if you try.

There’s no vivid antagonist—as we’ve mentioned, all the characters are basically good, well-intentioned people trying to do the right thing (most of them are pretty smart and thoughtful, too—some of them, like Sayaka, amazingly so).

There are no sudden plot twists or surprising reversals—the big scenes (the play, Yuu’s confession, Sayaka’s confession, etc.) were baked into the story almost from the very start, and they played out very much as we expected them to.

And yet, as the conversations here have indicated, we were often on the edge of our seats wondering what was going to happen next, and theories about the characters and their motivations, some of them fairly outlandish, flew thick and fast.

So as a general exemplar demonstrating that it’s possible to make excellent serialized yuri manga, YagaKimi should be an inspiration to others; as a specific model or template for others to follow, I have my doubts that it’s even possible to replicate.

I totally agree and I hope others will follow, I have high hopes with the whispering you a love song that starts well too.

Ya, it's going to be a bittersweet day for me when the last chapter is going to be released. I've been following this series since chapter 1 and I'm gonna miss these two precious girls so very much.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Gosh. Just like Yuu, I slowly fall in love...with this series. After a lot of resistance, for sure.

Now I don't want it to ever end :-(

Uh... re-reading exists.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Now this place got all sentimental. C'mon people, we still got some chapters to go!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Now this place got all sentimental. C'mon people, we still got some chapters to go!

And then when Touko’s longtime fiancé shows up to marry her and take her off to America and Yuu throws herself in front of Truck-kun, won’t we feel silly?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

And then when Touko’s longtime fiancé shows up to marry her and take her off to America and Yuu throws herself in front of Truck-kun, won’t we feel silly?

Exactly! Never get too comfortable with your happy ending. Gotta watch out for those last minute "subverted expectations".

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Exactly! Never get too comfortable with your happy ending. Gotta watch out for those last minute "subverted expectations".

Yes, and when a series has been careening along on the very knife-edge of losing control like this one, it could all crash and burn at any moment.

You know: Happy Sugar Life, YagaKimi, Skeeter Rabbit—series like that.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Yes, and when a series has been careening along on the very knife-edge of losing control like this one, it could all crash and burn at any moment.

Now let's not exaggerate too much.
Happy Sugar Life has been incredibly consistent about its theme and the way it would end. Its madness was always in full control.

Now take YagaKimi in comparison: A story where a cheesecake flag was raised who knows how many chapters ago... and yet there is still no payoff!

joined Jul 26, 2019

In the end maybe a spin off like citrus?

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Aside from Sayaka's, yeah.

But I'd rather see Nakatani-sensei venture to new stories outside BiY. And I mean to say, new manga/anime projects/collabs. An anime directorial debut perhaps?

last edited at Jul 29, 2019 7:54AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I wish Skeeter Rabbit lose control.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I wish Skeeter Rabbit lose control.

I meant “lose control” as in “author does something stupid and over-the-top,” not “horny characters have an orgy.”

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Please, I'm desperate, I've read all I could find.

You've read all you could find!? O_o

Holy shit, you've been one busy.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Midori x Manaka spin-off. They allowed Touko and Yuu to take the spotlight in their story for long enough.

joined Jul 26, 2019

Midori x Manaka spin-off. They allowed Touko and Yuu to take the spotlight in their story for long enough.

Why not with touko and yuu living together to study at the university.....

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Stannis posted:

DENIED!

I want a spin off of Koyomi writing yuri novels and saying that she just like it as a hobby .... Ah!

Okay then I want the official spin off of Touko's sister living in an otome game like fantasy world, seriously what is she up to these days.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Stannis posted:

DENIED!

I want a spin off of Koyomi writing yuri novels and saying that she just like it as a hobby .... Ah!

Judging by the latest chapter my "Koyomi and Renma-sensei get caught in the rain after the awards ceremony and have to duck into a love hotel to dry off" theory is still not completely off the table.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Amen.

Meh... I guess that's good too...

Judging by the latest chapter my "Koyomi and Renma-sensei get caught in the rain after the awards ceremony and have to duck into a love hotel to dry off" theory is still not completely off the table.

Would certainly be interesting...

joined Jul 26, 2019

Touko is still very naughty, we knew it, but she had planned everything, pushing her parents to go away for the weekend and invite yuu at the same time... yuu is naughty but much more shy.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Yuu " I want to sleep in the same bed"
Touko "I want to FUCK"

To reply you must either login or sign up.