Forum › A Room For Two discussion

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Nooooooooooooooooo
Why did she dye her hair
She looked so gay with her blond hair
Nooooooooooooooooo

She still looks gay with black hair. Just slightly classier. Slightly.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't understand why everyone has their shorts in a bunch over a dye job.

Probably just bored and needing attention, that's the worldwide leading cause of people being upset on teh Internets o3o

C'mon, visually this series has always been Snow White and Rose Red.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow-White_and_Rose-Red

And for me it's not always that easy to quickly tell the various dark-haired characters apart. So the contrast in the MC's hair color has always been one of the defining elements of the story.

(And I would have sworn that Kasumi briefly dyed her hair once before, although I'm not finding it quickly.)

last edited at Aug 28, 2019 8:29AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

also lol @ someone forgetting to apply screentone for a panel

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

also lol @ someone forgetting to apply screentone for a panel

There's more than that.

Kasumi is wearing a sleeveless white top, a skirt, a necklace and no earrings. Ruriko is wearing a square-patterned dress, dangle earrings and no necklace, and has her hair in a ponytail.

In the 3rd panel on the right, the "blonde" girl (we assume it's Kasumi) wears a square-patterned dress and a necklace, while Ruriko (hair in a ponytail) wears the sleeveless white top and the dangle earrings.

Someone made a mess of that panel.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Presumably she's dyed her hair because it will help her employment prospects if she doesn't look like a yankee. It makes sense in the context of the story, I don't understand why everyone has their shorts in a bunch over a dye job.

I'd say it's less about her dying her hair and more about the simple fact that she needed to, as you even said yourself, because it would help with looking for a job. It makes sense in the context of the story, yes, but that in itself is a sign of the problem with how Japanese often look at hair colors even when someone naturally has non-black hair.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Hard to tell people apart now T_T

joined Jan 6, 2017

Presumably she's dyed her hair because it will help her employment prospects if she doesn't look like a yankee. It makes sense in the context of the story, I don't understand why everyone has their shorts in a bunch over a dye job.

I'd say it's less about her dying her hair and more about the simple fact that she needed to, as you even said yourself, because it would help with looking for a job. It makes sense in the context of the story, yes, but that in itself is a sign of the problem with how Japanese often look at hair colors even when someone naturally has non-black hair.

I used to be a exchange student in Japan and I was told to dye my hair black (my natural colour is a somewhat dark brown)

joined Jul 26, 2016

Sakurako has short straight hair, Kasumi has long wavy hair, Ruriko has long straight hair and each and every one of them has their bangs cut/styled very differently from the others. Inability to tell them apart would be quite the

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ lol

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

Sakurako has short straight hair, Kasumi has long wavy hair, Ruriko has long straight hair and each and every one of them has their bangs cut/styled very differently from the others. Inability to tell them apart would be quite the
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/425/026/fca.jpg

Except in page 7 panel 3. :/

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Its kinda hard to get used to the change (blonde looks better on her too) but it makes sense for her going into the job market- and we are near the end now anyways.. (unless it carries on into work life after college).

last edited at Aug 28, 2019 1:19PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I loved the exchange between Kasumi & her mom.
Mom: blah blah blah
Kasumi: I didn't get a word you said.
Mom: Sigh! Switch to Sakurako-chan, she's more savvy than you.

I love how mom knows, without even asking, that Sakurako is there right at Kasumi's side and that she has both the authority and the capacity to make all decisions related to Kasumi's cosmetics.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Except in page 7 panel 3. :/

Full-spectrum screentone failures nonwithstanding their hairstyles remain readily distinguishable even there you know...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Respectfully submitted—bullshit.

Reading on a small tablet or phone, with two 4-koma columns per page, these panels can be very cramped. It’s not a “can’t tell people of that ethnicity apart” thing—and of course the characters can be distinguished by nuances of hair style.

But the one-dark-haired/one-light-haired panels have always been the baseline look of the series, and can be identified at a glance; it just takes more work/closer attention in some of the more crowded scenes.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Reading on a small tablet or phone,

Well... don't? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well... don't? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But what if I check Dynasty on my phone and there’s a new chapter of something I really want to read?

What then, buster?

joined Oct 22, 2018

Well... don't? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can't tell me what to do!

joined Jul 26, 2016

Well... don't? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But what if I check Dynasty on my phone and there’s a new chapter of something I really want to read?

What then, buster?

I daresay that is not any concern for the author... :|

joined Oct 22, 2018

^
r/technicallythetruth

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

Well... don't? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What then, buster?

Wait till you can read at home at peace and really appreciate it? I'm with random on this one. I'll never understand watching movies or reading mangas on phone. I'm just way too used to doing it on big screen, especially after I upgraded my monitor to bigger one, even laptop's one is too small for me now. I just can't understand how anyone can enjoy reading it like that. But in few rare occasions when I was checking something on phone, I was zooming on panels to see them properly, but can't expect people do that I guess.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Blastaar posted:

Well... don't? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What then, buster?

Wait till you can read at home at peace and really appreciate it? I'm with random on this one. I'll never understand watching movies or reading mangas on phone. I'm just way too used to doing it on big screen, especially after I upgraded my monitor to bigger one, even laptop's one is too small for me now. I just can't understand how anyone can enjoy reading it like that. But in few rare occasions when I was checking something on phone, I was zooming on panels to see them properly, but can't expect people do that I guess.

Well... sorry to burst your bubble, but I mainly read yuri manga and watch various series, movies and documentaries on my phone, though I do read/watch them on either of the laptops I have at my place when I have the chance, and only on rare occasions on my grandparents' TV. And I'm sure at least some people here can relate at least in part.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Well... sorry to burst your bubble, but I mainly read yuri manga and watch various series, movies and documentaries on my phone, though I do read/watch them on either of the laptops I have at my place when I have the chance, and only on rare occasions on my grandparents' TV. And I'm sure at least some people here can relate at least in part.

Voluntarily opting for a stamp-size display is what's teknik'ly termed a personal problem though, and entirely irrelevant to the author unless they're specifically catering for such platforms. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well... don't? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What then, buster?

I daresay that is not any concern for the author... :|

And who suggested that it was? This conversation is making no sense.

joined Apr 6, 2019

I loved the exchange between Kasumi & her mom.
Mom: blah blah blah
Kasumi: I didn't get a word you said.
Mom: Sigh! Switch to Sakurako-chan, she's more savvy than you.

I love how mom knows, without even asking, that Sakurako is there right at Kasumi's side and that she has both the authority and the capacity to make all decisions related to Kasumi's cosmetics.

"Gaining a capable daughter-in-law is such a big help."
(Kasumi-mama, ch. 51, page 4)

last edited at Aug 28, 2019 10:30PM

joined Oct 22, 2018

Voluntarily opting for a stamp-size display is what's teknik'ly termed a personal problem though, and entirely irrelevant to the author unless they're specifically catering for such platforms. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah. But it at least helps explain to large screen users why people need time to notice differences that can be seen instantaneously by others.
And frankly, I feel like we should either drop this convo, or move it to Dynasty Café.

To reply you must either login or sign up.