Forum › Gakkou Gurashi! discussion

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

"On that day we realized, that the end of our journey was approaching."

That could be taken as a negative comment but couldn't it be taken as a positive one too?
Their journey ends because they have finally found a real safe place to live at.

Also I hope those people at the college are still alive, especially that girl who got pregnant by the infected guy

joined Jun 30, 2016

Oh boy so that flying bot is from the girls from the university? and its seems that the school was going to be a prototype center for treating the infection, i mean, its obvious now that the soil, vegetables and water from there were not normal.

last edited at Jan 3, 2019 1:17AM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

and its seems that the school was going to be a prototype center for treating the infection, i mean, its obvious now that the soil, vegetables and water from there were not normal.

Wait, is that what Shiiko realized right before she turned? I couldn't figure it out, but that makes a lot of sense.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

I’m crying, my waifu :( I love whenever another chapter gets translated, but feel a bit sad after reading. These girls deserve to be happy, man. Even if they somehow survive all this zombie shit, the trauma will persist :((

last edited at Jan 3, 2019 1:30AM

joined Jun 30, 2016

and its seems that the school was going to be a prototype center for treating the infection, i mean, its obvious now that the soil, vegetables and water from there were not normal.

Wait, is that what Shiiko realized right before she turned? I couldn't figure it out, but that makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, this could explain why megumi was able to keep her sanity for a while when she turned.

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

When Shiiko was bitten? o.O Don't remember it. And why her?! She was so cool! Q.Q

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

When Shiiko was bitten? o.O Don't remember it. And why her?! She was so cool! Q.Q

She wasn't. It's airborne.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

She wasn't. It's airborne.

So the soldiers aren't wearing hazmat suits or any sort of masks... because they figured they are all infected anyway already? (TWD-vibes?)

Dang, Miki hit a low there... time for Kurumi to wake up and emerge like a butterfly. And yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed like hell here, probably will suffer permanent damage on my hands before this series is over XD

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

So the soldiers aren't wearing hazmat suits or any sort of masks... because they figured they are all infected anyway already? (TWD-vibes?)

I think they explained it like this earlier in the manga: it's been airborne from the beginning, and thus everyone who survived up till now has immunity to all the airborne strains they've encountered (doesn't appear that anyone has immunity to bites, except maybe Kurumi). However, the bacteria is mutating, so over time some strains will develop that get past a person's immunity. That's how the radio DJ, the guy at the university, and Shiiko got infected (and maybe the helicopter guy too, I don't remember if they showed any bites on him). Everyone's life is on a ticking clock, and no one knows when they'll succumb. Maybe wearing a respirator 24/7 while tracking people through the streets is just too much of a hassle, especially when it's a very low, random chance that they'll get infected.

I don't think it's like The Walking Dead—if someone dies normally before getting infected, then they shouldn't turn.

last edited at Feb 10, 2019 3:38AM

joined Aug 21, 2017

Something just struck me about the zombie genre. Even if you've already established a working civilization, if you go for an excursion into infested areas, all it takes is a little bad luck to die. Beyond the fear of being a part of the undying horde, there is the fear that you might not make it back. Any and all trips run the risk of failure. Any promises you make to make it back are hollow, because the threat of dying is always present. In a lot of ways, I guess it's like Final Destination. For all you try to fight fate, in the end, you're still just one bad move away from dying. I think the sheer force that random chance has in their lives is where a lot of the horror comes from: one slip up, and they're gone, forever.

Just my two cents though.

Senkomaid_pinkbg_160
joined Jun 4, 2018

All I need from the ending of this series is for Kurumi (and co) to survive. The rest of civilization could rot for all I care. She deserves better.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Something just struck me about the zombie genre. Even if you've already established a working civilization, if you go for an excursion into infested areas, all it takes is a little bad luck to die. Beyond the fear of being a part of the undying horde, there is the fear that you might not make it back. Any and all trips run the risk of failure. Any promises you make to make it back are hollow, because the threat of dying is always present. In a lot of ways, I guess it's like Final Destination. For all you try to fight fate, in the end, you're still just one bad move away from dying. I think the sheer force that random chance has in their lives is where a lot of the horror comes from: one slip up, and they're gone, forever.

Just my two cents though.

Interesting points... but, that's life, isn't it? Every time you get into a car and onto the highway, you are in a similar place - one mistake, be it yours or someone else's, and you might die. Raise a toddler and look away for a second and they put something in their mouth and choke on it. In every day life, we have plenty automated security mechanisms (#) - but leave the stove on, slip on the sidewalk or in the bathtub, lean an inch too far over your balcony, even a sudden event like a heart attack (or some other sudden failure within the body) all go to show how fragile life is, how we are indeed 'one slip up' away from dying, constantly. (# routine, balance, automated coordinated locomotor system, laws and restrictions, signs, conditioning, hygiene... - and even technology, both to warn us as well as to self-check in case of failure, neglect or mishandling, e.g. fuses)

A few thousand years ago, and even in some areas today, humans evolutionary hardly any different from us physically, are/were constantly threatened by whatever nature threw at them - going out for a hunt while easily turning into someone else's prey, settling near a river for water supply while having no protection against occuring floods...

Constantly worrying about "if I mess up / something goes wrong, I might die" would massively decrease quality of life, though. So we go about and trust in the above mentioned security measures, or in case of more dangerous living situations focus on what we might gain in exchange for some (arguably reasonable) risk. Otherwise we might stagnate or even degenerate - and that seems to be against human nature. We "want" things. We want more than to survive - we want to (or we want our beloved to) "live" to the fullest potential available. And for that we may even risk our own lives, all with the optimism that we will succeed - because without that positive attitude we might just curl up and wither away....

The point being, that it's not only about survival, but also about living. Of course those apocalypse survivours could hide inside a closed enviroment, hoping their resources will last indefinitetly. But resources may need replenishment. And if not that, one may or may not strive for diversity or even some sort of bettering of the status quo; so they go out, scavange and salvage and if possible conquer additional area to both increase quality of life as well as acquire an increased sense of security (with the monsters being pushed further and further away) - even if that means risking ones very life in the process.
So, in a nutshell, it's less about seeking adventure or some secret death wish, but about "quality [of life] over quantity [of lifetime, in case things go wrong]".

In that sense, the zombie and alien genres have long moved away from splatter action moster horror and into sociological character studies. The focus is less about the monsters and surviving or even beating them, but (re-)learning to live despite their looming presence. ...so, basically what Yuki represents, I'd think.

Itwouldbe-yuriscans
joined Oct 30, 2018

last panel seems to be a foreboding that Kurumi (and co.) will play a big factor in being 'humanity's last hope' and all that jazz. can't see the good end of the road right now but im wishing that the girls all live T-T

joined Jan 9, 2019

Please let the girls live till the end

Jarnan
joined Sep 18, 2017

So, remember how we definitely see Kei walking toward the school when they leave? I wonder if that’ll be relevant.

joined Mar 22, 2018

So, remember how we definitely see Kei walking toward the school when they leave? I wonder if that’ll be relevant.
pretty sure they kill her off in the previous chapter

joined Jun 30, 2016

I knew it! called it! the water they were drinking and using to grow their vegetables!

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I think they meant on how Miki has to face her walking corpse again

Also did everyone get tired of this series or something? Since there aren't many comments. I still think it's still interesting right now

last edited at Mar 21, 2019 11:49PM

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I think they meant on how Miki has to face her walking corpse again

Also did everyone get tired of this series or something? Since there aren't many comments. I still think it's still interesting right now

Darker series like this just tend to have smaller audiences even in cases where the series itself is not at all lacking in quality.

joined Apr 26, 2016

Well final stretch.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Darker series like this just tend to have smaller audiences even in cases where the series itself is not at all lacking in quality.

Which is kinda funny. I mean, look at the Kase-san thread... An incredibly fluff and mundane story (I love that manga) that spurs so much conversation and controversies. People disect moral implications and argue about the characters' attitudes.

And here we have a manga that has easter-eggs in early chapters that only start to pay off now, some 70 chapters later. Where there's actual stakes and tension and hints and queries. Where teenage girls have to put down zombies, former friends and associates. Where there's an actual conspiracy going on and so many yet unexplored implications.
And nobody bats an eye. XD

Jarnan
joined Sep 18, 2017

I like how the mangaka used a panel showing previous panels to show Miki trying to remember stuff.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

I like how the mangaka used a panel showing previous panels to show Miki trying to remember stuff.

Panelception? XD

Badass%20yuyuko%20-%20avatar2
joined Dec 4, 2015

KueKyuuQ said:
And here we have a manga that has easter-eggs in early chapters that only start to pay off now, some 70 chapters later. Where there's actual stakes and tension and hints and queries. Where teenage girls have to put down zombies, former friends and associates. Where there's an actual conspiracy going on and so many yet unexplored implications.
And nobody bats an eye. XD

To be fair, I rarely comment by default (for I'm too lazy to log in), and even if I were to comment a lot, you would never see a meaningful comment from me.
And as for this manga, I already said everything I wanted, now, I'm just waiting, waiting for the unavoidable end, to then proclaim my eternal sorrow, or my relief (hopefully, the later).

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

Me: ah yiss School Live manga updated, I wonder if they're finally going back go school and kurumi will get better and everyone will be happy and play gam-

Manga: nuclear launch date set

Me: <○<

last edited at Apr 1, 2019 3:22AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.