Forum › A Kiss And A White Lily discussion

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

…Huh, I had never noticed the Asa-, Yuu-, Hiru- thing. >.> Nice catch.

For the rest, we have Sakurada Asuka and Hagimoto Mikaze, "sakura" being the cherry blossom (obviously) and "hagi" being the Japanese clover.

Ooshiro Yukina and Mita Towako seem less related by meaning and more through aliteration (o-i-o-i-a i-a-o-a-o).

For Aoi Haine (blue well - ash sound) and Yukimura Aika (snowy village - indigo flower), I got nothing except the blue-indigo thing.

last edited at Jul 22, 2018 11:27AM

joined Aug 17, 2017

Ooshiro Yukina and Mita Towako seem less related by meaning and more through aliteration (o-i-o-i-a i-a-o-a-o).

On her Twitter on May 23 2018, Canno said: "大城雪奈×三田十和子 第3巻より 名前は雪奈(ゆきな→せつな=刹那)と十和子(とわ=永遠)の流れです。気に入っています。(缶乃)"
Which, via Twitter translation, told me "The name is Snow (Yukina → Setsuna = moment) and Towako (Towa = Eternity) from the third volume of the Snow Towako Mita. I like it. (CAN) #キスの日"

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

…Huh. Talk about a genius bonus. >.> Oh but wait, she actually has more name explanations in those tweets!

For Asuka and Mikaze:
明日花・飛鳥(HN)・美風・萩月(HN)で花鳥風月です。
Asuka - Asuka (pseudo) ; Mikaze - Hagidzuki (pseudo) > Kachoufuugetsu (flower, bird, wind, moon), "the traditional themes of natural beauty in Japanese aesthetics."

For Haine and Aika:
「青は藍より出でて藍より青し」が名前の由来です。
"Ao wa ai yori idete ai yori aoshi" > "blue dye comes from the indigo plant and is bluer than indigo" > "the student has become the master."

last edited at Jul 22, 2018 12:51PM

Kon-gitah-03
joined Jul 9, 2018

Now this is interesting. They make sense in their respective contexts: Towako can only see beauty when there is stasis (eternity), while Yukina sees beauty where she makes it (moment); and then we have Haine who surpasses Aika, being from the same family/same plant and all.

But what about this one?

Asuka - Asuka (pseudo) ; Mikaze - Hagidzuki (pseudo) > Kachoufuugetsu (flower, bird, wind, moon), "the traditional themes of natural beauty in Japanese aesthetics."

At first I had assumed this:

For the rest, we have Sakurada Asuka and Hagimoto Mikaze, "sakura" being the cherry blossom (obviously) and "hagi" being the Japanese clover.

and looked for any sort of folklore or story or allusions in which cherry blossom and clover opposed each other.

But now I realise that, from volume 6 onwards, it seems that there's a trend of the names taking on much more metaphorical meanings than they previously were. Take the whole morning/day/night interplay of the polyamory trio, for instance. Amane and Nina are the opposites at first, and have Ryou come between them; comparatively, Nina and Ryou's online handles are opposites of each other (midnight and midday, respectively).

Cue volume 7's "bluer than blue, bluer than you" thing between Aika and Haine; volume 8 fully plays tiger against dragon with Hikari and Nagisa, even bringing in a huge rivalry between the characters to complete the metaphor.

But where does that leave us now, with the "traditional themes of natural beauty in Japanese aesthetics"? Are we regressing back to the "just opposites" feeling of previous volumes, or is it indicating deeper meaning, truly putting the "meta" in "metaphor"? This is getting me hyped for the next chapter!

Chizumi Fan, Lyendith, thank you both for all the research! Very much appreciated.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

But where does that leave us now, with the "traditional themes of natural beauty in Japanese aesthetics"? Are we regressing back to the "just opposites" feeling of previous volumes, or is it indicating deeper meaning, truly putting the "meta" in "metaphor"?

Well, they both see a different type of "beauty" in the other that they don't see in themselves… which is reflected in how their names each have "one half of the equation" that the other lacks (one has the flower and the bird, the other the wind and the moon). I guess?

By the way, in the ranking board, I wonder how many noticed who was in 6th and 10th place. X) That's one more reason for Hikari to hate Nagisa. <=D

Kon-gitah-03
joined Jul 9, 2018

By the way, in the ranking board, I wonder how many noticed who was in 6th and 10th place. X) That's one more reason for Hikari to hate Nagisa. <=D

I remember Nagisa complaining somewhere that she gets better marks... found it! Over here.

Speaking of the ranking boards, I'm waiting for Canno to introduce Ooki Mifuyu - the girl who is always in the top ten, but obviously never number one - into the main story. I don't think Canno will, but if yes, I wonder what she's like; and how it must feel to never be better than #3 at the moment.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I remember Nagisa complaining somewhere that she gets better marks... found it! Over here.

Speaking of the ranking boards, I'm waiting for Canno to introduce Ooki Mifuyu - the girl who is always in the top ten, but obviously never number one - into the main story. I don't think Canno will, but if yes, I wonder what she's like; and how it must feel to never be better than #3 at the moment.

What a great ending to the series—they get distracted from schoolwork by being all lovey-dovey and somebody else beats out the both of them.

last edited at Jul 31, 2018 8:53AM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

I'm not even sure they would care at this point. X)

Preview time!

…Yes, it's a single pic, because Canno doesn't wanna spoil.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I'm not even sure they would care at this point. X)

Preview time!

…Yes, it's a single pic, because Canno doesn't wanna spoil.

A flustered Shiramine is the best Shiramine.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Ai really is the unsung hero of this story, isn't she…

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Finally :’)

joined Jun 23, 2017

She kept the piece of paper with 98?
Awesome!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I really liked how she avoided the "I can't talk right now" with a great confession and then goes all smug about it~ so cool!!! now there's no escape! she wants to marry you!!! what else you think "this feeling" is ? just take the chance!! DO IITTT!

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

I can't believe that she still keep that piece of paper damn <3

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Shiramine, Shiramine, Shiramine—you’ve been gaga for the girl since the day you met her. But I understand that it will take some time for you to get your head (your most troublesome body part) around the truth.

I’ll give you one chapter.

I do want to see Kurosawa with dog ears again, though.

joined Jan 11, 2018

Actual main plot progression, I never thought I'd see the day.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/84.gif

Joking aside I've been waiting for this chapter.

last edited at Aug 10, 2018 11:25PM

joined Feb 18, 2015

Fantastic chapter!

About that relationship chart at the beginning... It's great and all, but... WHY ON EARTH ARE MIZUKI AND MOE SURROUNDED IN BLUE?!?!?!?!? They've kissed... they've declared that they're going to live together after they finish college... They're in a committed relationship! Sure, they're friends, too... But they're also LOVERS!

Also, WTF is the YELLOW around Itsuki and Sawa? That's not on the key... Is it a mixture of senpai/kouhai and friendship? If so, that should be some sort of mixture of green and purple, not green and blue...

Edit
joined Apr 30, 2016

About that relationship chart at the beginning... It's great and all, but...

Agreed. The chart doesn't quite represent the relations perfectly. It's handy for a quick look, but they could've used more than one colour for those not-so-explicit relationships.

Finally :’)

Indeed :)

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Fantastic chapter!

About that relationship chart at the beginning... It's great and all, but... WHY ON EARTH ARE MIZUKI AND MOE SURROUNDED IN BLUE?!?!?!?!? They've kissed... they've declared that they're going to live together after they finish college... They're in a committed relationship! Sure, they're friends, too... But they're also LOVERS!

Also, WTF is the YELLOW around Itsuki and Sawa? That's not on the key... Is it a mixture of senpai/kouhai and friendship? If so, that should be some sort of mixture of green and purple, not green and blue...

What you are thinking of only applies to the colors of the connecting lines. The color borders surrounding the various lovers do not have any deeper meaning.

last edited at Aug 11, 2018 12:51AM

0d9c1f8da5c68f44be466e7fdf34f353
joined Jan 13, 2015

That snip of paper Kurosawa was holding, Thats the one from the first chapter right? because that would be kind of awesome.

Heart-Of-The-Earth
Nanofate%20feelz
joined Nov 6, 2013

Bravo, Yurine. Bravo.

Fullsizeoutput_6fd
joined Aug 24, 2017

That snip of paper Kurosawa was holding, Thats the one from the first chapter right? because that would be kind of awesome.

Damn right it is

Pity
joined Jan 11, 2014

I can't believe it has been 4 years already since I first started this manga. Finally their true feelings reached each other

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

Arrogant genius is toying with mere mortal girls again. Who will stop her now?

To reply you must either login or sign up.