Forum › Yuri Kuma Arashi discussion

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Yes! I've been waiting for this for so long! Hopefully we'll actually get some answers about what was up with those penguins and bears from the first series

Er, for the story itself, it's interesting. You can definitely see the influence of both Ikuhara and Morishima in how it's told

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

Yes! I've been waiting for this for so long! Hopefully we'll actually get some answers about what was up with those penguins and bears from the first series

Er, for the story itself, it's interesting. You can definitely see the influence of both Ikuhara and Morishima in how it's told

The first series? this is a sequel to something!?

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Oh wow, Ikuhara's latest project is a collab with Morishima? This is going to be glorious.

Current expectation: Kureha is actually a bear.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

It was announced as having some kind of connection to Mawaru Penguindrum

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

It was announced as having some kind of connection to Mawaru Penguindrum

ah kk thanks

joined May 17, 2013

I just figured bear was codename for lesbian. But hey, I know nuthing.

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

Well... For Yaoi the real life/eastern equivalent of Bara would be Bear, mainly to describe some fat hairy dudes, so i imagine that girl could be quite haOH GOD THE MENTAL IMAGE

last edited at Mar 25, 2014 6:26PM

joined Jul 17, 2013

wut

E8xkjfiweawhwl5
joined Sep 23, 2013

A vampire, a werewolf, anything ... but a bear?! fuck logic.

palakangorange
Witch
joined Feb 24, 2013

Well... For Yaoi the real life/eastern equivalent of Bara would be Bear, mainly to describe some fat hairy dudes, so i imagine that girl could be quite haOH GOD THE MENTAL IMAGE

what does "haOH" mean? all I could think about is hydroxide (OH^−) ... sorry if that's such a stupid thing to ask. lol

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

what does "haOH" mean? all I could think about is hydroxide (OH^−) ... sorry if that's such a stupid thing to ask. lol

ha(iry)-- OH GOD THE MENTAL IMAGE.
He cut himself off mid word.

New%20pic2
joined Jul 6, 2012

there needs to be more bears in yuri manga, theres just not enough

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

joined Apr 15, 2013

I'm not quite sure what it is I'm reading... ah well, whatever.

TIL that Arche and Telos are both terms from Aristotelian philosophy. Arche refers to the beginning or cause of something, and Telos is related to its purpose or end. So I guess this is, like, an alpha and omega sort of thing. Pretty sure the bear part has no actual meaning, though.

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

I'm not too fond of Morishima's art, but this one looks a bit better than her usual work, somehow. Now to see where this will go.

Ghost in the Shell
Gits_avatar_klein
joined Jul 30, 2013

For what it's worth, in German "Bär" (German translation of bear) is sometimes used as slang for a woman's vajayjay. So perhaps she's not a big hairy gal, but can transform into a huge vagOHMYGODTHEMENTALIMAGE!

Cryssoberyl Uploader
Booklet1-high-pink-experiment
Zefiberyl Translations
joined Apr 11, 2011

So this is the long-awaited Yuri Kuma Arashi...the unlikely collaboration between the (to me) world's greatest yuri manga artist, Morishima Akiko, and the mad avant-garde genius behind the better parts of Sailor Moon, my favorite anime franchise Revolutionary Girl Utena, and - much less satisfyingly on the yuri front - Mawaru Penguindrum, Ikuhara Kunihiko. What on earth will come of this alliance??

Well, considering it's Ikuhara, this first chapter was actually surprisingly straightforward. No doubt Morishima is a stabilizing influence, or at least I hope so, although it might simply be that - much like Utena, so many years ago - Morishima is essentially doing what she wants in the manga, and Ikuhara will do what he wants in the anime, both working from a very loose agreed-upon framework of themes and characters.

Long post short, this could either be incredible or a trainwreck, but it'll be very interesting to keep an eye on.

last edited at Mar 26, 2014 10:52AM

Av
joined Nov 12, 2013

Wtf am I reading...
bears?
In for Ikuhara

And yeah that's what it looked like to me too.

last edited at Mar 26, 2014 2:43PM

Z%20ss
joined Oct 15, 2013

The girl was a bear... o_o
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-23/utena/penguindrum-ikuhara-reveals-yuri-kuma-arashi-anime

This is so weird, not sure if I'll keep up on it.

last edited at Mar 26, 2014 3:07PM

joined Feb 1, 2013

This comic needs some kind of special new tag... It's not a "WTF Am I Reading?"

What it needs is a "Huh?" tag.

Sensei
joined Nov 28, 2011

Guys, guys. Plot twist. She actually IS a bear!

joined Aug 1, 2013

Hah, first thing I thought of once it started going down the alien-bear path was that song from Game of Thrones.

ohh yeah! it would be an incredible twist if she answer "you smell like honey" and began to dance

Wait, WTF I'm imagining this affected me

FlameHazeKatsu
Img_1342
joined Feb 5, 2013

Woo! A new one, hoping this will be rather decent on updates...an interesting one...that is...

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

WOAH! Ikuhara, you rock as always!
Here's the metaphoric alphabet I captured from the first chapter. It should help you decipher the meaning behind the lines.

arche = beginning, origin
telos = end, purpose, intention, goal

be transparent = to be not needed = to have no telos (purpose) in life, no reason to live = to be normal = to not stand out

bear = someone outstanding, out of norm, deviant = gay/lesbian = someone extraordinary = someone special
bear = beginning and end of the world = outside the world's shell (watch Utena for the reference) = outside the boundaries of the world as the person perceives it = outside the norms set by a society

to be eaten by a bear = to have the world's shell broken/to break the world's shell = to see the boundaries of the current world, step outside, discover a new world for oneself = coming out = accepting yourself for who you are

to find someone = to find someone despite them being transparent = to find someone special = to make someone needed = to create a reason for living for someone = to become a soul mate for someone = to see someone standing out, not normal, someone from the end of the world = to love someone

last edited at Mar 28, 2014 10:00PM

Dynasty%20necromancer
joined Mar 6, 2014

That's some deep stuff going on

To reply you must either login or sign up.