Forum › Yuri Kuma Arashi discussion

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Holy shit, this manga is amazing. I loved the anime, but found it rather dark and disturbing. The manga (which seems to have been adapted from the anime?) takes the concepts and characters established in the anime, puts them in a real-world, real-life scenario, removes the darkness and tons of innocent schoolgirls being fucking eaten alive while preserving depth and drama, and overloads it with extra honest-to-goodness yuri (it seemed like the anime was hesitant to go full yuri, throwing the word "friend" around a bit too much for my liking). I really loved this version of the plot and the changes made to certain characters (in particular, Ginko, Yuriika, Kureha, and Sumika were more enjoyable characters for me in the manga version). This has quickly become one of my favorite manga, and, in my personal opinion, the definitive version of the story of Yuri Kuma Arashi. (The anime is still worth a watch though, plus it has one of my favorite OPs of all time.)

Now with that said: I really don't feel like the Supernatural tag is warranted on this series, since, unlike in the anime, everything that might be considered supernatural is explained away in some way. The manga appears to actually take place in the real world, rather than the fantastical city with impossibly huge walls dividing the human world from the bear world in the anime.

Edit: switched the paragraphs around, then some formatting

last edited at May 22, 2019 2:11AM

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

The mothers still stay married in the end?
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yuri_kuma_arashi_vol_3_omake#7
Yuri is Dead!

joined Mar 20, 2012

I didn't understand anything, quite interesting, but the fuck...? No one is dead? What?

I am going to have to reread this, I am as confused as I can get.

joined Nov 22, 2019

which seems to have been adapted from the anime?

Surprisingly not, actually. I could be wrong, but the upload date for chapter 1 of the manga is 2014, and the first episode of the Anime was 2015. Which would mean the studio added the darker themes, and took most of the metaphors literaly. I'm not quite sure how anime adaptions happen though so I could be wrong.

last edited at Oct 11, 2022 4:13AM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

I'm not sure how exactly this worked out in this particular case - don't remember now. But very likely Ikuhara asked Morishima for a concept with some basic Yuri plot - something she's good at. He then took that concept of hers, the characters, the main plot base idea, and f***d it up really hard in his very own unique way of symbolism. So he pretty much abused the original concept to deliver his very own message. As both have been in production at the same time at some point, I'm pretty sure, some of his ideas and plot twists have also been incorporated into the manga. But as such they can as well be seen as relatively independent species. I think this has also been his approach with Utena. And I kinda like how with this approach both authors retain their freedom to deliver the best of what they can. And at the same time, both productions have value on their own.

Again, take this all with a grain of salt. I've written this from my memory, which is known to have such side effects as mixing things up or inventing stuff :))

last edited at Sep 15, 2020 3:41AM

Lastpersimmondrops
Chi3c
joined Apr 22, 2020

So powerful - delirious and electric

last edited at Sep 18, 2020 9:52PM

36002568_1838354376215521_8722944858664206336_n
joined Jan 21, 2019

Really liked this version of the story too :3 morishima and ikuhara was honestly a match made in heaven for me lol.
The only thing that I found kinda lame was that Lulu's brother was still alive. That backstory episode in the anime was something that really impacted me and I felt that him still being alive took away the impact on this version.
Anyway, lovely story, I liked the characters more here, will probably re-read some time

joined Dec 17, 2023

i am a criminal bear

To reply you must either login or sign up.