Forum › True Blue Baby discussion

Cnwdrjjvmail6tq
joined Jun 30, 2017

I just laugh at myself when I see a tomboy x princess girl pair.
They are so "unreal," but at the same time kind of "neat"?

I am in college now, almost finishing it. But when I was younger (in my teens), my dream was to be in a yuri school (not only an all-girl boarding school, a real YURI one), like in Strawberry Panic, full of girls, with princes, princesses, Etoiles, random cute clubs, and love all the time.

The prince x princess dynamic in yuri, all girls wanting the prince and screaming for her, haha. I would be one of the girls screaming for the prince just for fun!!!

The first time I saw this pairing was in Strawberry Panic, Hikari x Amane.
After some other stories, the one I remember the most is Kaoru No Kimi from Oniisama E.
We can't also forget Utena, the "tomboy princess girl"!

Anyway, good story :)!!

last edited at Jun 9, 2024 12:57PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Cute but... kind of bland.

Like, I've read this plot a thousand times.

last edited at Jun 9, 2024 1:02PM

LilyScentedBubbleBath
Img_20200913_125333_706
joined Sep 15, 2020

Ugh- so sweet and cute. UGH I LOVE it.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Good shit

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Incosistent characters and bland and cliche plot, overall pretty boring and dull

Wall%20e%20pfp
joined Dec 9, 2023

Gah they're too cute!! Thanks for the upload!

butches-and-chicken
Butches%20yuri
joined Jun 12, 2023

I like the tomboys designs but the story is very generic (it's not bad btw)... I hope more creators put tomboys in another storylines.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Rena is the real star of this story.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I really love the art, and I also really enjoy their interactions and general dynamic. Prince Yuri stories are always my cup of tea, and this one was particularly good in my opinion. I genuinely adore Rena's ability to charm, while also being very no nonsense at the end.

I'd definitely enjoy a series about these two, along with maybe other couple dynamics within the school. I very much want and hope to see more Yuri from this mangaka in the future, thanks a ton for the translation! <3

butches-and-chicken
Butches%20yuri
joined Jun 12, 2023

I'd definitely enjoy a series about these two, along with maybe other couple dynamics within the school.

I would like that too, I think a long story would give a good opportunity to more develop to these two and the others students ^_^

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

I like it.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I don't really get "generic" from this. The flashback twist really got me. Same with the touchy girl's actual crush. I want more!

joined Sep 27, 2017

I'd definitely enjoy a series about these two, along with maybe other couple dynamics within the school.

I would like that too, I think a long story would give a good opportunity to more develop to these two and the others students ^_^

Yeah I think there's various fun directions the mangaka could take the story from here

I don't really get "generic" from this. The flashback twist really got me. Same with the touchy girl's actual crush. I want more!

I fully agree

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I think the premise and character dynamics were interesting, even if not anything revolutionary. However, the execution could have been a bit of better. There were a few pages that seemed disjointed to me.

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I actually find this story refreshing in a lot of ways. I'm so used to seeing "prince" type characters who feel burdened by their persona or create a faux masculinity out of social obligation that it's really nice to see a "prince" character who genuinely feels comfortable and happy with her own masculinity. She actually feels butch, even if it's a butch identity filtered through the prince archetype lol.

I also really liked how they dealt with the whole rival/touchiness situation. The typical manga solution to this is usually framed as though it's Haruka's fault for not being assertive enough and the solution is she acts more assertive, but here not only does Rena deal with the issue herself, but Haruka's percieved passiveness is actually because she respects Rena's boundaries. Both of these little twists serve to give Rena a lot more agency that I've come to expect from this type of shoujo love triangle maiden role, and in framing the "solution" to the issue to be that Haruka should just ask before touching her, it resolves the jealousy and insecurity that Haruka was feeling while also reiterating Rena's agency. Her feelings of "I don't always wanna be touched by people" is maintained as a legitimate boundary she set up, which is exceedingly rare for romance manga to this day.

I could write more but I'm curious what other people thought. I think the story has more depth than some are giving it credit for.

joined Sep 27, 2017

I actually find this story refreshing in a lot of ways. I'm so used to seeing "prince" type characters who feel burdened by their persona or create a faux masculinity out of social obligation that it's really nice to see a "prince" character who genuinely feels comfortable and happy with her own masculinity. She actually feels butch, even if it's a butch identity filtered through the prince archetype lol.

I also really liked how they dealt with the whole rival/touchiness situation. The typical manga solution to this is usually framed as though it's Haruka's fault for not being assertive enough and the solution is she acts more assertive, but here not only does Rena deal with the issue herself, but Haruka's percieved passiveness is actually because she respects Rena's boundaries. Both of these little twists serve to give Rena a lot more agency that I've come to expect from this type of shoujo love triangle maiden role, and in framing the "solution" to the issue to be that Haruka should just ask before touching her, it resolves the jealousy and insecurity that Haruka was feeling while also reiterating Rena's agency. Her feelings of "I don't always wanna be touched by people" is maintained as a legitimate boundary she set up, which is exceedingly rare for romance manga to this day.

I could write more but I'm curious what other people thought. I think the story has more depth than some are giving it credit for.

I think what you're saying is a lot of why I said in my initial comment that Rena is very no nonsense at the end of the story. The amount of agency Rena has feels great, she deals with an issue in a very straight forward manner, and she communicates well with Haruka. Also Haruka shows general restraint despite her frustrations. It feels like they both really love and respect each other, and I genuinely love their chemistry and interactions.

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Lovely. I agree with the subtle (or not-so-subtle) quirks within their dynamics. They took a common premise and added some (thoughtful) dynamic changes to the relationship, making it fun and helping it stand out. I thought they executed that well.

last edited at Jun 9, 2024 9:19PM

joined Jan 8, 2016

The setup might have been fairly generic but I thought the execution was sweet and funny.

Genshin.impact.600.3396601
joined Jul 20, 2016

Couldn't say it better myself! It was nice to see a "Prince" type character who actually like being a prince and the the story was just very cute and sweet.

joined May 3, 2014

Yeah I think there's various fun directions the mangaka could take the story from here

I fully agree

meee too, i was like….this is different that the your usual Prince x Princes type of yuri :3 it actualy has an reason way things go the way it got, that flashback added story and context

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Dangerous levels of gap moe. Proceeded with caution.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Lovely. As others have said, a "prince" type girl in a yuri manga who actually likes being a prince is really rare, and I'm always happy to see more of them. Yuri manga in general is sorely lacking in butches, and while this isn't exactly the same thing, it's a good start.

butches-and-chicken
Butches%20yuri
joined Jun 12, 2023

After reading this, I reread this story and wow, you're right, this is what I needed for my tomboys, really, I don't know why I found this generic, maybe the price/princess troupe distracted me. Thank you for saying this, now I appreciate it more now.

kuroyurihime00
Ebk63ajwkaeu2_4_1
joined Aug 1, 2020

Very well said. Exactly the reasons why I love this story. It starts with a general archetype and built up on it creating more depth to the characters. It might feel cliche at first but at the same time, it isn’t.
Also, love this mangaka's art. Everyone is just so gorgeous. I hope they make more.

joined Nov 27, 2016

Agreed I liked this one a lot. I was actually surprised people found this one so generic. It’s a typical plot but changes up the archetype tropes with characters. I liked how the childhood crush character also was framed as not just willfully oblivious to the other prince’s advances and directly calls her out on it, pretty refreshing. I really like how she communicates what she wants and tells the mc she doesn’t want to be touched and that the mc actually respects that and is rewarded for that at the end bcuz it really seemed like it was going to go the route of you just need to be pushy and then your love will be reciprocated, so that was nice. I’ve also rarely ever seen a manga just talk about people’s boundaries not specifically in the context of romance, like just not wanting to be touched whenever. Rena is a pretty proactive character compared to a typical love interest which was nice to see. It’s small changes to how characters react, but it does make them feel a little less like plot beats

last edited at Jun 11, 2024 5:58AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.