"Oh I can do whatever I want but you can't!"

The fuck?

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Hate this kind of character so much.

"Oh I can do whatever I want but you can't!"

The fuck?

Exactly... she is not a really good friend ngl, dare I say she is a tad bit toxic. It's annoying the hell out of me and honestly I'm not even sure if I like them together. I'm reading the comments that say we should wait until chapter 5 but at this point I think it might give us more explanation than excuses.

My verdict at this point in the story is, Fuyuki deserves someone who is not jealous of someone that she isn't even dating. I will admit that I have a soft spot for those who have unrequited love though, Eri is just the villain for not returning them.

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

I'm late to the party but I finally faced those... tags.

Eri seems to me like a calculated person. In chapter 1 when she said yes to Kyou, it's not because she likes him back but because she thinks Fuyuki likes him. Author made it a point to show Fuyuki's warm relationship with Kyou--him relaxing at her house, her watching that scary movie because he lent it to her, him easily agreeing to Fuyuki in that map discussion--all in chapter 1 and involves Eri being there. Eri wasn't even happy when she said yes to Kyou at the end.

In chapter 2 and 3, it's quite apparent that Eri has some feelings for Fuyuki. She wasn't lying when she said that she's having the most fun watching a boring film when she's with Fuyu or that the latter is her most important person even when she's dating someone. She's even attentive to Fuyu's likes or what she has to say.

In chapter 3, we see a bit more of their thought processes when it comes to each other.
For Eri's, it started when they were younger with her sharing all about her dating activities to goad Fuyuki for some sort of reaction--to give a hint of where she's at in Fuyu's heart--but the latter would never falter in her support or reassurance of her instead. She didn't immediately share about Kyou because she feared that Fuyu would be angry enough to cut off their relationship, which she feared the most. As for why she said yes to Kyou instead, she could've feared what would happen if she rejected him, as he could very well aim for his other friend instead which he seems closer with.

Meanwhile, Fuyuki's thought process towards Eri was to always support and reassure her; and to never show any hint of jealousy, not even when Eri was asking her if she'll ever get lonely if she starts dating.

TL;DR Eri is a calculated person who would do anything for Fuyuki not to be with someone else while Fuyuki is a selfless person who would do anything for Eri not to hate her. They both think they're in the friendzone, that's their mistake.

Honestly though, I would very much like for Fuyuki to date her senpai and to be extra open about it towards Eri, just to give the latter a taste of her own medicine. Since Eri never knew about senpai's existence, the latter's not accounted for in her equation so all the more reason to look forward to senpai's future performance.

joined May 10, 2021

Nice fucking going Fuyuki, very nice going indeed!
I can already imagine Eri's reaction, and how it'll bring more drama, but I sincerely hope it worked out between Fuyuki and her senpai, as well as Eri and Kyou (though I have my doubts about it, but I can't be arsed to ship Fuyuki and Eri together).
Thanks for the chapter!

snowangel526
Pity
joined Jan 11, 2014

In my ideal world Fuyuki will be with the senpai, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing a more negative side of senpai and Fuyuki relationship to elevate Eri and Fuyuki as a CP

Sono.hanabira.ni.kuchizuke.o.-.atelier.no.koibito-tachi.full.1462399_avartar
joined May 28, 2015

Yes, that's the way to go, Fuyuki. Forget about her and only think about your own happiness. I'm really hopping it's not just a fake relationship.
But really, Eri is such a bitch. Don't engage yourself in a relationship if you don't like the other person the same way they do. Wanting the status quo with Fuyuki tagging along with her while she goes on a date with her boyfriend. Next step would be telling her to grab the chandelier while they make out ? She's so egoist.
Now that Fuyuki is in a relationship, is she going to force herself in her relationship with Kyou even though she never cared about it since the beginning or will she still be a stupid friend and try to put an end the relationship Fuyuki has with her girlfriend ?
Yeah, I don't like her.

last edited at Jul 9, 2023 3:23AM

joined Oct 12, 2017

AAAAAAAAAskdkfjsnskksnsnskms!!!!???? T-T So short!

Wait, has Eri known that Fuyuki was gay this whole time?

joined Jun 20, 2022

i will say as someone who haphazardly accepted my guy best friend's confession out of pressure(?) it is a super uncomfortable position. i really relate to eri. i understand shes not a good person but in the spur of the moment you can't really think about it rationally.

that being said im excited for fuyuki and senpai arc

Sono.hanabira.ni.kuchizuke.o.-.atelier.no.koibito-tachi.full.1462399_avartar
joined May 28, 2015

i will say as someone who haphazardly accepted my guy best friend's confession out of pressure(?) it is a super uncomfortable position. i really relate to eri. i understand shes not a good person but in the spur of the moment you can't really think about it rationally.

Out of pressure ? If you were pressed to accept their confession you shouldn't go out with them, even when the pressure came from you. If they're really your friend they will understand you and back off and if don't they don't... they're not your friend. And you should distance yourself from them.

joined Jun 27, 2022

I have zero sympathy for people going into relationships without genuine feelings because they can't be alone, out of obligation or other issues.

Eric is truly a hot mess and a pain to be around.

I have seen the mess that may cause this often enough with my friends, close family and by now I just stopped caring. Just get your shit together ffs, it's so frustrating to deal with when those people are close to you. I mean it's ok when you are young and stupid, but if you keep doing this when you are much older, like come on.

Good on Fuyuki taking action but it's a shame it's probably not genuine. Oh well more juicy drama for us

last edited at Jul 9, 2023 6:12AM

joined Oct 14, 2020

I heard chapter 5 changes things so I'm gonna patiently hope it does because right now Eri is one of the most annoying characters I've seen in a yuri manga. Her selfishness and a lack of consideration for others is grating on my nerves. I honestly felt bad for the dude. Why would you accept a confession if you don't feel the same way as the other party does? It's more harmful to pretend than to just flat out reject them, and the guy is ultimately going to end up in the worst position as a third wheel when his two best friends get together after Eri never really gave him a chance and just strung him along.

Senpai is a superior option. Too bad she's gonna lose badly.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

People will really see a girl who due to growing up in a heteronormative environment doesn't realise there's really an option beyond having a boyfriend or not having a boyfriend and think to themselves wow what a bitch.

Like yeah she's not being a good friend or partner right now, and yes she is stringing him along but like Eri herself is saying "I'll fall fall in love eventually please just wait until then" like she genuinely believes this is it, that this is what she is meant to do and like yes that means she's a bad partner but no it does not mean she's being bad partner on purpose.

Also given that Fuyuki is coming out to Eri right now I'd expect the next couple chapters to be about Eri slowly unraveling as she comes to terms with what is actually possible and what choices she would make differently now that she knows.

last edited at Jul 9, 2023 6:29AM

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

People will really see a girl who due to growing up in a heteronormative environment doesn't realise there's really an option beyond having a boyfriend or not having a boyfriend and think to themselves wow what a bitch.

Like yeah she's not being a good friend or partner right now, and yes she is stringing him along but like Eri herself is saying "I'll fall fall in love eventually please just wait until then" like she genuinely believes this is it, that this is what she is meant to do and like yes that means she's a bad partner but no it does not mean she's being bad partner on purpose.

100%. Fully agreed. It's hard to discuss, so I normally avoid it but it's always interesting seeing so much of what I'd describe as lacking empathy about issues I'd have thought people would be more sensitive to. But I agree, she seems to be unaware that her entire focus is locked to Fuyuki. Even her reason for trying with Kyou is "maybe this will keep Fuyuki with me now." Kyou clearly picks up on it (and is jealous), and Fuyuki, as well; but, Eri does not understand herself very well. She has a dependence on Fuyuki that she's likely rationalized as simply "best friend/saviour" dependence but might be more than that. This could be why a crossroads set by Fuyuki's getting a girlfriend (and seemingly trying to move on) might serve as a catalyst for a change, whether good or bad.

I could also piggyback off something Cogito mentioned. This chapter again hints at Fuyuki's over protection of Eri and possibly Fuyuki's wrong reading of Eri. I couldn't help but think of that earlier comment, when Kyou mentioned how much Fuyuki protects Eri, and how upset Eri was that Fuyuki wasn't honest about her discomfort with the new "boyfriend." I don't know that Fuyuki has as good a grasp on Eri and what she needs, as much as she wants to believe she does. Which leads into what happens in chapter 5 and 6, with the "keeping feelings from her" idea.

last edited at Jul 9, 2023 9:04AM

joined Mar 18, 2023

eri is dating someone she doesnt love, so fuyuki responds by doing the same?

what a joke of a story this manga has shown, though i guess its too bad that its not funny, cause then i could at least enjoy the laugh it provided if anything.

Imageedit_2_8608112332
joined May 12, 2021

Also given that Fuyuki is coming out to Eri right now I'd expect the next couple chapters to be about Eri slowly unraveling as she comes to terms with what is actually possible and what choices she would make differently now that she knows.

100%. Fully agreed. It's hard to discuss, so I normally avoid it but it's always interesting seeing so much of what I'd describe as lacking empathy about issues I'd have thought people would be more sensitive to. But I agree, she seems to be unaware that her entire focus is locked to Fuyuki. Even her reason for trying with Kyou is "maybe this will keep Fuyuki with me now." Kyou clearly picks up on it (and is jealous), and Fuyuki, as well; but, Eri does not understand herself very well. She has a dependence on Fuyuki that she's likely rationalized as simply "best friend/saviour" dependence but might be more than that. This could be why a crossroads set by Fuyuki's getting a girlfriend might serve as a catalyst for a change, whether good or bad.

I think people are missing the aspect of dramatic irony, too; we know that Fuyuki has feelings for Eri and that Eri's actions are causing a lot of pain but, of course, Eri doesn't know that because Fuyuki is actively hiding it.

It's very common for people to get so caught up in a story (especially when a character is making them angry) that they stop understanding that the characters in a story don't have the same perspective as the audience. I'm sure opinions will change as we get more Eri pov, but I'm not surprised to see so much hate in the comments. At least it's a sign that a story is good when people get so emotionally invested, though

canihavekith
142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

eri is the poster child for comphet.

also I love love love these characters, they're so complex and there's so much subtext making them feel so real. like this is such a common scenario and I like that we don't totally understand the characters' motivations or feelings because they could be construed a number of ways. it's such good writing

last edited at Jul 9, 2023 8:01AM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I think people are missing the aspect of dramatic irony, too; we know that Fuyuki has feelings for Eri and that Eri's actions are causing a lot of pain but, of course, Eri doesn't know that because Fuyuki is actively hiding it.

It's very common for people to get so caught up in a story (especially when a character is making them angry) that they stop understanding that the characters in a story don't have the same perspective as the audience. I'm sure opinions will change as we get more Eri pov, but I'm not surprised to see so much hate in the comments. At least it's a sign that a story is good when people get so emotionally invested, though

I think part of it is also that this is flying a lot closer to old-school yuri than it does to modern yuri, and if you read this through a modern yuri lens where the girls by and large already know they're gay or have a very easy time going "oh of course I'm crushing on my best friend and also our entire friendgroup is other gay women" then yeah Eri will look like someone who is here to cause drama on purpose because she'd HAVE to know what she's doing right.

But if you look at this through the lens of somewhat older yuri where girls used to be in love with girls who were either oblivious or actively dating men then all of a sudden you see Eri in a much grayer light. And now when you look at Eri you instead see a girl who does not realise that she can be not straight because of everything you, SrNevik, and I have already said.

And I feel like you really do need to assess what kind of yuri you're reading sometimes in order to be able to read it with the correct lens, differentiating between Class-S, Old-School Yuri, and Modern Yuri.

last edited at Jul 9, 2023 8:17AM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

And yes if you're wondering, the difference between Class-S, Old-School, and Modern.

That too is Yuri

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

...And I feel like you really do need to assess what kind of yuri you're reading sometimes in order to be able to read it with the correct lens, differentiating between Class-S, Old-School Yuri, and Modern Yuri.

You're 100% right, in a way; although, I'm honestly a little uncomfortable classifying things by "old school yuri" and "new school yuri," even though I understand your point, generally agree with it and am not criticizing you at all! The reality is that there are still many people going through this very thing everyday all across the world. There will likely never be a time where there aren't people questioning their place in the world, based on societal expectations and norms. Then, as a result, making confused, capricious choices. It's not really an outdated or old concept; and this story in particular has done a lot, I think, to show that neither Eri, Kyou or Fuyuki are really "bad people" or intending any harm. They're all confused and trying to muddle through complex emotions but still all genuinely love each other and mean well for each other. So, seeing a character(s) struggling with these issues and classifying them as a bitch (etc., etc.) just always seems odd to me.

eri is the poster child for comphet.

She really might be. Also agree about the writing!

last edited at Jul 9, 2023 8:29AM

joined Aug 13, 2021

Out of pressure ? If you were pressed to accept their confession you shouldn't go out with them, even when the pressure came from you. If they're really your friend they will understand you and back off and if don't they don't... they're not your friend. And you should distance yourself from them.

? Yeah I think they are saying it wasn't a reasonable decision. Social pressure is an extremely powerful kind of pressure, especially when you're younger, and pressure for a heterosexual normative relationship is anchored in society.
That's why even though Eri's not being a good friend to Fuyuki and Kyou, I can't say that she's just a bad person. I mean we are reading a manga by someone who does explore those complicated relationship aspects, let's be nuanced and go with the story that is being told instead of trying to optimise them by wanting all their decisions to be the most rational in that situation, something none of us always do.

0003_proc
joined Jul 21, 2019

I might be wrong but I don't think Fuyuki is actually dating her senpai, at least not yet. Most likely Kurokawa is simply trying to help Fuyuki ease her pain a bit and then she said that she got a gf in an attempt to make Eri realize that well, the world doesn't spin around her but also to slowly distance herself from her, I think she's finally starting to realize the kind of friendship they have now is unhealthy and does no one a favor really. That in theory is good but like it has been said already in ch5 we actually see that Eri deep down is kinda insane lmao so she'll probably snap again and make things even more complicated.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

...And I feel like you really do need to assess what kind of yuri you're reading sometimes in order to be able to read it with the correct lens, differentiating between Class-S, Old-School Yuri, and Modern Yuri.

You're 100% right, in a way; although, I'm honestly a little uncomfortable classifying things by "old school yuri" and "new school yuri," even though I understand your point, generally agree with it and am not criticizing you at all!

Oh yeah no, that's completely understandable. And as you definitely also realized I was referring to it in the sense that "modern yuri" is the kind that has come into prominence more recently, while "old-school yuri" is the type that we used to see a lot more of 3-5 years ago.

But yeah people of all times will go through all kinds of personal realisations about their own orientations and like honestly the entire reason I started talking about this is because I was reminded of a comic I recently saw about a lesbian who was like "yeah for years I didn't think of myself as a lesbian because while I am only attracted to women I kept arguing that because the only girl I ever kissed was done on a dare I couldn't possibly be just gay"

And it's partially through that lens that I started thinking "wow some people are really misconstruing Eri in my opinion, they're really looking at her like she's figured it all out when to me she's on the level of arguing to herself that kisses done on a dare don't count"

last edited at Jul 9, 2023 9:15AM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I thought the implication of Chapter 3 Page 30 is that both Fuyuki and Senpai are in an unrequited love situation, but senpai's is not with Fuyuki but someone else. Them dating without Fuyuki being in love with senpai doesn't seem an issue to me since I don't think senpai is in love with Fuyuki either. At least based on what we've seen.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I thought the implication of Chapter 3 Page 30 is that both Fuyuki and Senpai are in an unrequited love situation, but senpai's is not with Fuyuki but someone else. Them dating without Fuyuki being in love with senpai doesn't seem an issue to me since I don't think senpai is in love with Fuyuki either. At least based on what we've seen.

Yeah you're right both Fuyuki and Senpai are just kind of settling for eachother, with Fuyuki outright known to have a crush on Eri and Senpai implying her own crush on another girl when she tells Fuyuki that no one else could better understand what she is going through.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is Murasakino, so it’s going to be an elegantly drawn, thoughtfully plotted trainwreck.

Something positive might emerge from the wreckage, or not. I expect I’ll enjoy the spectacle no matter what.

To reply you must either login or sign up.