Forum › Goodbye, Snow White discussion

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Lol, prostitutes clocking in on the job.

And useless lesbians are useless.

last edited at Aug 12, 2022 7:12AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

So, another victim of "i must marry a man because it's the norm, even though i prefer women"

joined Aug 15, 2018

Are the pages in the wrong order? Miya goes from short hair to long hair to short hair to long hair again?

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Are the pages in the wrong order? Miya goes from short hair to long hair to short hair to long hair again?

There are two timelines. In the present, "Miya" and "Saki" are in a relationship and end up servicing Omiya, Miya's first love. During this time, Miya keeps thinking back to how she became a sex worker and met Saki. She had short hair in the past, and she has long hair in the present.

joined Apr 16, 2022

If this is Katakura Ako's idea of what "pure love" is, I worry about her lol.

Seriously though, it's an interesting one. Two women (old friends?) chasing after the other's memory through sex are finally able to fall out of love when they actually fuck each other. Well, as Saki says, prostitution is often a form of therapy. Despite the melancholy tone I do read the ending as hopeful, even for Izumi.

Screenshot%202022-08-09%20173918
joined Jun 28, 2022

Welp it's all well, ends well in my book.

joined Jan 13, 2021

Excellent piece. I've always loved that particular brand of yuri stories that's sad and sweet and smoky, swilling maudlin memories in rueful grins and sleepy sighs, watering tears down with time to sprinkle the begonias with. Here too, there's parts of people curling suspended, captured in apprehensions poetic and orgasmic, the mists of memory and the fog of darkened rooms parted by runnels of light to illuminate the curve of a breath, the flicker of a hand, the chill of a tress, the shiver of an eye, parts hinting at wholes, shadows at bodies we'll never fully see and yearn all the more to know and be.

The workers in the story occupy a liminal role, shoring up, per Saki's ideal, a client's self, melting into them to make them more solid, crystallizing pleasure in movements and moments, that they may forget themselves in love, become complete in the arms of another, and bear with them a sliver to light the hollowness, led back some nights to secret hearths. It's a spiritual take on the trade quite common in this subgenre, and illuminative of a telling irony in which holy matrimony's mechanical and illicit pleasures sublime, where fairytales flower in dingy motels and paramours spring priceless from coin, telling of a legitimacy in illegitimacy, a comfort in exchange and trade for queer lovers whose affections don't figure in the daylight economy of relationships, and in becoming more economic still by night, create as by water-forged wine a value more fulsome for the secrecy, more precious in deprivation. In such an upside-down world, a shadow's as substantial as a person, a session more pleasurable than lifetimes, and so Miya can only taste life by descending into the underworld, where the ghost of her love for Izumi sure enough becomes flesh, the shadow vanishing in the absence of light, leaving only a body, a pleasure, and a farewell.

This circular dance of yearning strangers would be admirable enough by itself, painting in Miya and Izumi's relationship the ultimate irony as the yearning bridesmaid becomes the pleasure pursued, the happy bride a moonlit seeker, but it is Saki who elevates this tale to brilliance, breaker of cycles, beacon from purgatory. She puts up the star that guides Miya in choppy waters, letting her circumnavigate the oceans of her heart and find at the end of it all a place she can call home, even as she continues to rove a concrete sea. Saki teaches Miya of the pleasure that lives in a soul, the light that sparks itself and thus finally ends the search for suns, the hunt for shadows. She teaches her of the infinitude of the present, the eternity of nights, and the ability to make every union as sweet as first love, and so escape the shadow of an origin, the myth of the one that got away. It is Saki, being of both worlds and a world unto herself, who ushers Miya into the night where she can find parts of herself too faint to spot in daylight, and Saki who accompanies her back into the day once she's come to know herself in shadows. And perhaps just as Miya immersed herself in the night long enough to move the clock again and begin a new day, so too might Izumi, having bid her first love goodbye, decide someday to leave the shadows of brides and sirens to their dances and seek a solid form again. A crosser from one world to another, a dweller of both, and a drifter in neither- it's in a masterful interplay of these three characters that this story manages to puff binaries and archetypes to smoke and create a glittering taste of the delicious complexity of life in all its glorious feeling. Definitely a fave.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

temp are you high whenever you make one of these posts or like, what

Sono.hanabira.ni.kuchizuke.o.-.atelier.no.koibito-tachi.full.1462399_avartar
joined May 28, 2015

God... this is awful ! -> trash

Brave_nehsafphnw
joined Dec 27, 2013

shhh let them be

joined Mar 19, 2020

Seriously though, it's an interesting one. Two women (old friends?) chasing after the other's memory through sex are finally able to fall out of love when they actually fuck each other. Well, as Saki says, prostitution is often a form of therapy. Despite the melancholy tone I do read the ending as hopeful, even for Izumi.

Fall out of love sounds kinda sad, more like “get closure”

joined Apr 16, 2022

I don't know if I'd really call it "closure" to be honest, that implies a more neat and tidy ending than I get from this oneshot. Even at the end "Miya" and "Izumi" weren't being honest with each other, not even using the other's real name, despite them both clearly understanding what was going on at that point. (Not to mention Miya/Kanade very deliberately cuts contact with Izumi completely.) To put it another way, I think they're both just beginning to move on, they still have a long way to go. As Temp says, what saves this oneshot from being completely depressing isn't either of them; it's Saki who demonstrates that a real relationship can be built on the ruins of heartbreak.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

What an utter trainwreck...

6f1ccea7-b3f0-4820-814d-bccd7482bcd0
joined Mar 31, 2021

I think it goes both ways with closure and a fall out of love type thing. they can both mean many things for different people and letting it be a personal feeling without the other having to know. everything is messy when it comes to any type of relationship

Imageedit_11_5472942776
joined Apr 30, 2018

dang

joined Jan 20, 2021

Sweet and melancholic

joined Sep 6, 2018

shhh let them be

…Aand admire their passion about Yuri from afar. Must be the mangaka, imho.

joined Feb 10, 2022

Nice story since I've never read something similar before but... I wonder if miya and saki quitted to start dating or did saki quitted because she had a thing for izumi but after seeing her kissing miya she decided to quit? Or maybe she was already in a relationship with miya, and realized izumi is miya's 1st love and that's why she was kinda sad? It's kinda an open ending. Sad it's only a one shot but I feel like saki and miya are now together(?) Idk don't mind me

last edited at Aug 12, 2022 2:55PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

Nice story since I've never read something similar before but... I wonder if miya and saki quitted to start dating or did saki quitted because she had a thing for izumi but after seeing her kissing miya she decided to quit? It's kinda an open ending. Sad it's only a one shot but I feel like saki and miya are now together(?) Idk don't mind me

Saki and Miya were already dating by the time the two of them saw Izumi.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Great piece about moving on. Loved it.

I wonder if miya and saki quitted to start dating or did saki quitted because she had a thing for izumi but after seeing her kissing miya she decided to quit? Or maybe she was already in a relationship with miya, and realized izumi is miya's 1st love and that's why she was kinda sad? It's kinda an open ending.

Saki and Miya were already dating. Miya only became a prostitute as a way to deal with her heartbreak from her first love. Since she finally got her wish to be with Izumi once, she was able to move on from past regrets so she doesn't need to be in this profession anymore.

Since she left, Saki probably decided to leave with her and they started a new life together. I'm also sure they decided to leave as a way to completely cut off contact with Izumi so she wouldn't have a way to find them and both parties can just move on now.

Reading it again, they really put emphasis on knowing what your client wants and tending to that need. Since Saki was the best at it she knew that Izumi and Miya loved each other so she set them two up. But doing so, she was also uncertain about it since she thought she'd lose Miya to Izumi, thus her nervousness throughout the whole trip there and her shock at Izumi allowing the kiss.
By the end, when they were leaving, Miya knew about Saki's worries and reassuringly chose her.

last edited at Aug 12, 2022 4:06PM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I don't know if I'd really call it "closure" to be honest, that implies a more neat and tidy ending than I get from this oneshot. Even at the end "Miya" and "Izumi" weren't being honest with each other, not even using the other's real name, despite them both clearly understanding what was going on at that point. (Not to mention Miya/Kanade very deliberately cuts contact with Izumi completely.) To put it another way, I think they're both just beginning to move on, they still have a long way to go. As Temp says, what saves this oneshot from being completely depressing isn't either of them; it's Saki who demonstrates that a real relationship can be built on the ruins of heartbreak.

I'd say it's a little more hopeful than that. For one thing, the title is a clue, since in the most popular version of Snow White, she's cursed in enchanted slumber and awakens with a kiss. Kanade was sleepwalking through life, but after "kissing" Izumi, she's able to wake up and move on.

Also, there are hints that Saki engineered this whole thing. It seems that she realized who Izumi was and convinced her to request a threesome, I guess as a way to help Kanade. Judging by her reactions, it looks like she wasn't sure how Kanade would react and didn't know who she would end up choosing.

I don't see Kanade using her stage name as her being "dishonest", rather it seems like after that first kiss she retreated into her role as a professional as a way to deal with her emotions. She still told Izumi the truth when she asked why she became a sex worker.

I think the author is pretty clear that this is a happy ending for Kanade and Saki. They've been lovers for a while now, but it looks like they were stuck in a holding pattern, unable to move forward. Taking eachother's hands, and then quitting their jobs together is a pretty clear sign that they're now able to move on.

I do agree with you that the ending is not particularly hopeful for Izumi. She doesn't seem to take closure from the experience, and that's where the rest of the title plays in. In the Disney movie, Snow White is awakened by "true love's kiss", and marries the prince. In this version, the prince kisses Snow White, she wakes up, and then runs away with her actual lover, never to be seen again.

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

These girls are acting goofy lol. What a way to deal with your feelings, on all sides.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I don't see Kanade using her stage name as her being "dishonest", rather it seems like after that first kiss she retreated into her role as a professional as a way to deal with her emotions. She still told Izumi the truth when she asked why she became a sex worker.

Dishonest was perhaps the wrong word, what I was trying to get at is that they were still dancing around the truth in their speech even though they both very well understood the situation. Still using the fake names is just one piece of that. Rather than have a fully real conversation as (former) friends, they stuck to the pro/client framework in order to avoid having to reveal too much about themselves. That's why "closure" feels off to me as a descriptor.

That said, I do think it's ultimately an optimistic story -- obviously for Kanade and Saki, but even for Izumi too, who was using her old love as an excuse to stick with the status quo of her failing marriage. Now that she knows both that Kanade actually did return her feelings but also that she'll never see her again, now that she no longer has her fantasies for emotional support, she (hopefully!) will be forced to re-enter the real world.

In other words, while I really like your interpretation of the title, I think Kanade and Izumi are both Cinderella and the prince (with Saki as the fairy godmother), as naturally befits a yuri story. They wake each other up with true love's kiss, and then go their separate ways.

last edited at Aug 12, 2022 7:25PM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Why would you marry a man who you already were cheating on with other women? I can’t bring myself to have any sympathy for her lmao

joined Aug 21, 2017

That ending is tough. Seems it spurred lots of great discussion though.

To reply you must either login or sign up.