Forum › Matazoro. discussion

joined Sep 25, 2022

Ultimately, as others have mentioned, Shiki's current angle of "oh she's just like this" is toxic too (or at least that's how I interpreted her recent takes), but that doesn't justify Mariya's methods. This is why you need a professional for this kinda stuff

Could you elaborate on what you mean in terms of Shiki's understanding of the situation? I read back a few chapters, but I never really had the impression that she was being dismissive.

joined Aug 26, 2022

Koto has got it rough and only once they are pushed to where they are able to get by with less and less help will they be able to succeed

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

unrequited? did you not see Koto cold text her after not saying anything for days? thats a herculean feat for any depressed anxious girl!

Honestly it felt to me personally like it's more of her desire to not let her oldest actual friend go so easily? Still impressive as heck, but didn't feel romantic to me.

Koto strikes me as the type who would shut down even more if romance was introduced to her feelings of general worthlessness. Not saying she isn't worthy, I just feel like anyone who likes her is going to have a very, very hard time convincing her of that and any crush she develops on her own will struggle to survive against her self loathing and stagnative tendencies. She is getting over those, and that's awesome, but it's... Gonna take a while before she's seaworthy, imo. I have a feeling the series will prove me wrong, but that's good bc it means Koto is getting better faster!

last edited at Feb 21, 2023 3:44PM

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

I hope there will be some romance...

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Ultimately, as others have mentioned, Shiki's current angle of "oh she's just like this" is toxic too (or at least that's how I interpreted her recent takes), but that doesn't justify Mariya's methods.

Mariya's approach might not have worked, but it rose from Koto's own expression of a desire to change. It's not like she forced Koto, she gave her a push that she objectively needs for Koto to try and pursue her own desires.

And while it didn't work as they hoped, we see now that it wasn't completely pointless, as Koto was able to reflect on herself, to think of her future, and to reconnect with Mariya. All being far more progress than she's ever made with her other friends.

In that aspect, I'd say Shiki's angle is far worse, because she's just discouraging Koto. If she was happy with her current self, that might be mostly fine (although with some issues of not being self-sufficient), but when Koto actually desires and is trying to change, having a friend telling her that she shouldn't is terribly destructive and demoralizing.

I actually really like the "trophy wife" line from Mariya. After realizing that her previous approach didn't work, Mariya neither gave up nor decided to hold her hand. Instead, she told Koto that she'd be there to support her, but putting it in a way that, even to Koto's low self-esteem, was too self-deprecating. It's like a safety net, telling Koto that even if she fails, there will be someone for her, but also making her want not to use that safety net and manage things by herself.

While this, in itself, isn't going to solve Koto's problems, it at least gives her hope to have someone by her side even in the worst case scenario.

last edited at Feb 27, 2023 9:31AM

joined Oct 21, 2013

Koto should focus on being a good wife in bed for Mariya. She'll no doubt need a lot of practice, but Shiki will be more than willing to be her practice partner till the end.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Shiki doing her best Mugi impression like:

joined May 1, 2015

Koto as a trophy wife lmao.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Can we move pass the self deprecating Koto crap for a bit now please. She's useless she's never going to change and that was proven point in the very first chapter. Let's get something going with Shiki she hasn't done much in a bit.

Or how about another Kaedecentric chapter or two she's the best character in the series and honestly the only interesting one.

last edited at Feb 27, 2023 11:28AM

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

What exactly happened in this (24) chapter? Did something got resolved? All I learned was that Koto has her future secured. But what else happened? Especially on those two last pages.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

That Goddamn braindead text message!

The reasons that this comic is great keeps expanding!

joined Aug 21, 2017

It's actually incredible to see a heart to heart conversation where two characters just sit down and talk and listen to each other, even if it did end in a joke. I'm an even bigger fan of this manga now.

Undertale%20deltarune%20fukufire%20skateboard%20gay
joined Aug 4, 2021

do your best mariya

Divalshfgd_400x400
joined Jan 18, 2017

I was wondering when the yuri would actually happen.

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

I'm happy with this, and maybe the trophy wife is her only possible route... well, hope it becomes more light-hearted, if still having the slight depression of realism, now. This arc was very important but I do kind of want more comedic 4 koma stuff, at least a little

joined May 1, 2015

In before Koto becomes the next master chef.
Everyone is always good at something.

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Rare W for Koto

Akiko%20megaer%20think%20smaller
joined Aug 7, 2021

Character growth? For this character archetype? At this stage of the story? In a comedy 4koma? Localised entirely within this chapter?

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

This manga is always so much better than it feels like it has any right to be

joined Jan 8, 2019

Character growth? For this character archetype? At this stage of the story? In a comedy 4koma? Localised entirely within this chapter?

Yes

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

I really hope it's a development and is not just a one-time joke. Seeing Koto move on slightly, even if it's just a step in the right direction, is a joy.

Mami_freakout_notext_small
joined Mar 18, 2016

Yes

May I see it?

Akiko%20megaer%20think%20smaller
joined Aug 7, 2021

Yes

May I see it?

... no.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I'd just like to note that I thought "Good night, 400 grams of sliced pork loin" was comedy genius.

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Wow I might have to eat humble pie. Koto not only did the best in the cooking even if she did the easiest thing. She wanted to help her mom cook so she could get better. Character growth at its finest.

To reply you must either login or sign up.