Forum › Making Progress on Yuri Before the Deadline discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It was a good series and they suddenly decided to make one of the main characters a pedophile. Thought I was getting a nice, serious manga that deals with the reality of being gay in Japan and that comes out of nowhere.

Ah, yes, nowhere.

joined Mar 19, 2022

Anyone would assume, given the tone of the series until now that that was a joke, not foreshadowing.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Also, she's 17 now. How does that make anyone there a pedophile? She'd be over the age of consent in most of the sane world, and even some states of the USA. There's absolutely no leg for that complaint to stand on either, even less so when you've actually read the story and the thoughts of both parties.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Also,Japan has the age of consent at 13,many prefectures bump that up to 16 at least,and teens getting laid is common in all nations,so...

joined Mar 19, 2022

Sorry, but I happen to believe 18 is a pretty good age. It's arbitrary, yes, but I know 16 year olds, and I know 18 year olds, and I'm comfortable saying that the difference is large enough that 18 is the number for age of consent that makes more sense. 17 is grey maybe, but still just doesn't feel right. Maybe some of my hatred for this turn comes from the fact that I simply prefer develop slowly into sex rather than just going for it immediately, but that's personal preference.

joined Mar 19, 2022

Also,Japan has the age of consent at 13,many prefectures bump that up to 16 at least,and teens getting laid is common in all nations,so...

The law is not the same as morality. And yeah, teenagers have sex with other teenagers. That's obviously fine, and not relevant to this.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I mean, any specific age set for this is very much an arbitrary approximation of when a person would on average be considered to be able to decide such matters for themselves. In a perfect world one would decide this based on an individual's maturity, but obviously this is not really feasible in reality. But since we actually can see quite a bit into both of their minds here, surely there's no problem with this particular couple.

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

I mean, any specific age set for this is very much an arbitrary approximation of when a person would on average be considered to be able to decide such matters for themselves. In a perfect world one would decide this based on an individual's maturity, but obviously this is not really feasible in reality. But since we actually can see quite a bit into both of their minds here, surely there's no problem with this particular couple.

They're also 17 and 23. Not much difference. Even if you accept 18, are we really calling someone a pedophile because she's a couple months short of 18? These 2 could be at the same college in a bit. This is all approximations and obviously you don't want abuse but we've seen this story and their relationship, as you've said. It's fair to have a general caution about these things but it's very important that we "know" these people and we "know" their dynamic, thoughts and intentions (that is to say nothing unhealthy is happening here; she is not a person only interested in "younger" people--although again 17 and 23 is not something I'd personally worry about).

The earlier comment about the national age is misleading though as that is not the age nearly any prefecture uses. It's mostly 16 or 18 throughout Japan, through other laws. They don't view things much different than we do.

last edited at Feb 15, 2023 8:08AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"If you totally ignore context, this is bad" seems to be the bedrock principle for the guardians of morality in fiction.

And totally ignoring relevant context what is needed to call this series "pedophilia."

joined Oct 22, 2021

This manga is fun when its lighthearted, but whenever it tries to get serious, its pacing becomes garbage

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Leave it to Dynasty to start having honest debates about the morality of late teen consent law in the discussion of a mostly-wholesome romance manga lol

001q2gaply1h533fjj99pj60sg148tgw02
joined Sep 11, 2021

this story's opening felt like the premise was being shoved up my ass but this is something we don't get much

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

That's why we can't have good things here.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Sorry, but I happen to believe 18 is a pretty good age. It's arbitrary, yes, but I know 16 year olds, and I know 18 year olds, and I'm comfortable saying that the difference is large enough that 18 is the number for age of consent that makes more sense. 17 is grey maybe, but still just doesn't feel right. Maybe some of my hatred for this turn comes from the fact that I simply prefer develop slowly into sex rather than just going for it immediately, but that's personal preference.

Thank you for revealing your lack of personal romance,may you find happiness one day,perhaps someone who will teach you why it does go that fast when you're madly in love and horny to high Hell due to bullying,parental issues,and being a potential target by society.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The law is not the same as morality. And yeah, teenagers have sex with other teenagers. That's obviously fine, and not relevant to this.

Teens get laid in every nation,and it can be with other teens,some are bad enough to do it with younger,and plenty do it with older.

More so when cold hard cash is involved and/or the general regions' living conditions are tad bit low.

The laws are what they are,but morality is meaningless when feelings are involved,and boy oh boy,did those feeiings explode.

Also,pedophilia is for those who target 13 and under,depending on puberty,and usually pre-puberty.

Hebephilia is for those who target 11 to 14 or slightly above,usually in the midst of puberty.

And what we see here is ephebophilia,15 to 19,the late puberty stages(all three have overlaps with each other becauase RAGING HORMONES).

But,as in this case and many one on one couple romances,the older one is mainly,if not exclusively,attracted to their partner,who just happens to be younger.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The earlier comment about the national age is misleading though as that is not the age nearly any prefecture uses. It's mostly 16 or 18 throughout Japan, through other laws. They don't view things much different than we do.

I did say they bump up the age in many prefectures to at least 16.

joined Mar 19, 2022

Teens get laid in every nation,and it can be with other teens,some are bad enough to do it with younger,and plenty do it with older.

More so when cold hard cash is involved and/or the general regions' living conditions are tad bit low.

The laws are what they are,but morality is meaningless when feelings are involved,and boy oh boy,did those feeiings explode.

Also,pedophilia is for those who target 13 and under,depending on puberty,and usually pre-puberty.

Hebephilia is for those who target 11 to 14 or slightly above,usually in the midst of puberty.

And what we see here is ephebophilia,15 to 19,the late puberty stages(all three have overlaps with each other becauase RAGING HORMONES).

But,as in this case and many one on one couple romances,the older one is mainly,if not exclusively,attracted to their partner,who just happens to be younger.

The second you start doing this, you're giving yourself away. Stay away from kids if you know this much about this crap.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The second you start doing this, you're giving yourself away. Stay away from kids if you know this much about this crap.

There are reasonable conversations to be had about age-gap romances.

Coming into the forum of a very mild age-gap romance story and throwing around accusations of "pedophilia" at the characters and at other readers because you happen to think something doesn't "feel right" is unlikely to be a way to have such a conversation.

Tumblr_6092d594b3a92296a4d35bac1b1a474c_c2d1131f_400
joined Apr 4, 2022

I was like wow this manga is getting cuter and then i come see this going on :D

but like discussions are fine but they should at least change based on the tone the series is going for

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

So you're telling me that a simple Wikpedia search is enough for society to blame me as the bad guy?

Damn,the laws in your area must be tighter then Yukari was.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Anyway,for the rest of y'all.have this free meme.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ That certainly addresses the pacing problem someone was complaining about.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Hey,at least we didn't have to wait 100+ chapters just for them to start dating and another 100+ chapters before they get it on like Donkey Kong.

joined Jan 15, 2015

Well, the pacing kind of exploded a bit there, but I'm not entirely against it. Maybe the author just wanted to get to the next story beat faster, or who knows. I do look forward to seeing what comes next.

Also, are people really complaining about the pairing in this manga 13 chapters in? To not see that coming you have to not only ignore the first chapter, but the title itself makes it pretty obvious. The amount of people that come here just to complain about minor things like this is almost trolling at this point.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

As a writer, the idea of having to finish half a manuscript in a single day makes me so anxious. How do you even live like that?

I also like how the worry is "oh she'll find out you're gay" and not "oh she'll find out I COMMITTED A CRIME WITH A MINOR". That's not as important.

To reply you must either login or sign up.