Forum › Shoujo Manga Protagonist x Rival-san discussion

joined Mar 15, 2015

This seems to be one of those series in which not only does the couple not get together until the very end(if at all), but once they do so, the central premise of the series no longer holds up, and there's nowhere left for it to go. Nevertheless, I'd still like to see the last few chapters, if only to see how it ends.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Kimura with confidence and those precious reversals. Misushima, you are right.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

It's like the author said to their publisher, "I have a great idea for a manga. I'm going to take the gag side plot from a harem romance series, and make it the whole story. I can get 33+ chapters out of it easily, and the one joke will NEVER get old".
Well at least we had some serious forward movement in the yuri love story this chapter. But if the author holds true to form, they're going to either ignore that it ever happened, or reboot the series AGAIN.

Edit: Slight change for clarity.

I respectfully rescind the criticism shown above.

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

Finally continued reading it after the confusing versions and I actually liked the direction it took. Nice job from the author. I agree with Mizushima, it's quite vexing but I guess Hiyama needs to also taste her own medicine.

joined Jan 21, 2020

Ugh, thats a fucking disappointment. Really thought we were finally gonna get around this stupid misunderstanding but instead it gets reinforced and dragged on for at least a bunch more chapters.

joined May 10, 2021

Thanks a lot for all the chapters!
Kinda glad volume 4 is the last one. As much as I like this, it is starting to get old with the same misunderstanding gag (though they're both so cute it balances out how infuriated I get reading this).

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Their misunderstandings are the most devastating comedy misunderstandings I've ever seen.
And the fact they just kind of refuse to straighten them out, even though they know there are misunderstandings, lol.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Oh I love when a misunderstanding gets dragged on forever. It's so nice when characters that are supposed to be in love with each other make no effort to communicate. My favorite.

* inbibes more gasoline *

joined Apr 20, 2023

Wow this is frustrating. On the one hand Mizushima is great for being ready and willing to be wingman and not even question it, on the other hand he's the worst character now because he clearly knows what the misunderstanding is but is letting it continue because its amusing...

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

So many chapters,and the turns have tabled!

The shift in momentum for this offensive has created great chaos,and only more to come!

20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

honestly at this point I feel sorry for Mishi-whachamacallit-kun. Hiyama and Kimura both kind of are jealous of him because they think the other is interested in him/would be better off with him. It's really weird how they added an innocent bystander into the frame.
So I kinda feel for him going "I want to see you putting Hiyama through an emotional roller-coaster!"

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 6:02AM

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

I imagine this is what it feels like to be blue-balled. I know the misunderstanding is gonna continue but every time I'm edging like damn. Either way, I know they're gonna get there eventually so I'm here for the ride.

20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

I imagine this is what it feels like to be blue-balled. I know the misunderstanding is gonna continue but every time I'm edging like damn. Either way, I know they're gonna get there eventually so I'm here for the ride.

It really is frustruating.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

ahhhhh finally, mizushima has become wingman. reminds me of seiji maki from bloom into you cus he likes to help so he can watch LMAO

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

It's like a train wreck I can't look away from. Feels like the author is trolling us.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Kimura with confidence and those precious reversals. Misushima, you are right.

He's become a wingman and loves the joke as well. Kimura is in full control now and she's enjoying it for a bit. Very chill and fun series. I only wish more chapters were longer but at least the last few should be.

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 8:09AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I kind of get the feeling that people have been misunderstanding what this series is about from the very beginning. If you think of this as just a romance manga certainly it’s going to be frustrating to read.

I think of it as being like one of those art installations where someone rigs an existing type of machine to go through a pattern of surprising variations on its usual behavior.

So it’s really, really stupid—and I mean that in the best way possible.

joined Sep 10, 2022

I kind of get the feeling that people have been misunderstanding what this series is about from the very beginning. If you think of this as just a romance manga certainly it’s going to be frustrating to read.

I think of it as being like one of those art installations where someone rigs an existing type of machine to go through a pattern of surprising variations on its usual behavior.

Yeah I'm surprised by some of the reactions as well. Taking things a bit too seriously, I'd say but who knows. It's a romance buts it's having fun with variations and evolutions of a type of gag. It's tongue in cheek, with some heart to it. I actually like the evolution out of Kimura along the way. Should be a fun ending in a couple chapters.

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 8:14AM

Fowgib%20me%20(2)
joined Nov 28, 2021

I just like the Stockholm Syndroming of Kimura into liking Hiyama. Bullying is funny and cute.

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Yeah I'm surprised by some of the reactions as well. Taking things a bit too seriously, I'd say but who knows. It's a romance buts it's having fun with variations and evolutions of a type of gag. It's tongue in cheek, with some heart to it. I actually like the evolution out of Kimura along the way. Should be a fun ending in a couple chapters.

Yeah, definitely feeling this too. Is it the most emotionally in-depth and gripping romances ever? Eh, nah. Is there some kinda fucked-up implications to the dynamics if you really think about it hard? (at least going a bit in both directions now lol) Probably, yeah. Do I care? Also nah. It's a fun and silly gag manga predicated on cringe comedy, and it knows it; going in expecting something else is just gonna result in a bad time. I'm liking it, personally.

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 8:54AM

joined Apr 16, 2022

For what is fundamentally a stupid gag manga (I say this with love), Kimura's character development is quite endearing. She's gone from an awkward teenager to...well, she's still awkward, but she's slowly building up her confidence, assertiveness, and willingness to see below the surface and understand the people around her. That's more than mamy protagonists of "serious" works get!

joined Jan 11, 2014

Love this gag comedy. I get it’s not serious but simple comedy relies on clear character motivations and a basic understanding of what information a character has… and I’m super confused about what each character Knows right now. Like, does MC and Dude know Rival likes MC???? How can they not after Rival confessed to MC like 40 times. What exactly did Rival take away from MC going “I wanna become someone who can say I love you”, did she think MC confessed to Dude??? I thought MC was under the impression Rival heard her confession, so why is she not operating under that logic at all? I want an interior monologue from all three characters telling me what knowledge they possess right now cause the logic is getting murky.

I’m happy people convinced me to pick up this work. It’s SO cute. Kiruma’s pining and jealousy, eventually realizing she’s been self-centered and avoidant to Hiyama which is kind of awful of her (as opposed to Dude being so stable and secure and a good friend). She likes Hiyama so much it hurts.

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 9:30AM

joined Sep 10, 2022

Love this gag comedy. I get it’s not serious but simple comedy relies on clear character motivations and a basic understanding of what information a character has… and I’m super confused about what each character Knows right now. Like, does MC and Dude know Rival likes MC???? How can they not after Rival confessed to MC like 40 times. What exactly did Rival take away from MC going “I wanna become someone who can say I love you”, did she think MC confessed to Dude??? I thought MC was under the impression Rival heard her confession, so why is she not operating under that logic at all? I want an interior monologue from all three characters telling me what knowledge they possess right now cause the logic is getting murky.

I’m happy people convinced me to pick up this work. It’s SO cute. Kiruma’s pining and jealousy, eventually realizing she’s been self-centered and avoidant to Hiyama which is kind of awful of her (as opposed to Dude being so stable and secure and a good friend). She likes Hiyama so much it hurts.

Kimura and dude both know. They're messing with Hiyama at the moment and also Kimura is still a bit shy and feels she has to improve herself somewhat first. She's finding the perfect moment to confess. In the meantime, her and the friend are both reveling in how dense Hiyama is (and giving her some of her own medicine) while also setting up the moment to make Kimura's feelings more obvious (at least more obvious that Kimura has already made it). They began meeting to help Kimura work up the confidence to confess but Hiyama misread that and ever since then they've been messing with her a bit, amongst other things. As you can see in this chapter, Kimura thinks Hiyama is cute when she overreacts (and always didn't really mind Hiyama's overbearing antics, she knew Hiyama was harmless). Kimura's having a bit of fun. They're both a bit eccentric for each other.

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 9:41AM

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

I dont care about the trolling much. The reversal made it all worthwhile. That girl is dynamite.

joined May 3, 2014

at this point I’m 100.000% convinced that the comments are worth reading while ignoring this overdone to death stupid gag manga :3

To reply you must either login or sign up.