Forum › Shoujo Manga Protagonist x Rival-san discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’ve always kind of liked this, but now that I’ve gotten over my confusion about the reading order (I haven’t resolved that confusion, I just don’t care anymore), I’ve decided that I love the sh*t out of it—such a goofy Trope Mixmaster, and the fact that the chapters also seem to be in a kind of Mixmaster (the chapters on Mangadex have even been appearing out of numerical sequence) just makes it more of what it’s always been.

(I’m even hoping for a “B-b-but, we’re both girls!” confession scene.)

joined Mar 18, 2018

This is to good to have this short of chapters XD

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Isn’t Hiyama being too bold? What’s next then, handholding? The girl is a beast!!

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

So good.
Everytime I see that reading order chart feels like my brains gonna explode.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Expected kabedon, got desperate hug. Of course she wouldn't be able to be that smooth...

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

Expected kabedon, got desperate hug. Of course she wouldn't be able to be that smooth...

The most useless of lesbians

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Soo what do you think their relationship will be like once they get together? I think Hiyama will be the needy gf while Kimura will be the no- nonsense partner.

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

As hilarious as that would be, I find it hard to believe at this point, considering, well, Hiyama confessed from chapter 1. So the only one capable of still confessing is Kimura. If she were to do this it would be impossible for Hiyama to give the desired cliche reaction, barring she received an unfortunate case of amnesia (which this manga would not be above doing admittedly).

Correct me if I am wrong, but has there not been a chapter where she casually kabedon'd Kimura? I distinctly remember it happening once, if not twice.
In comparison a hug is far more intimate and something that they have not been capable of before. A kabedon is a more hostile gesture in Shoujo manga too, mostly used by bullies to threaten or by male love interests to corner. A hug is a wholly positive gesture, which is what Kimura needed after hearing the badmouthing by the mob girls. Unintentionally or not, this felt like the optimal way to go about it.

last edited at Mar 28, 2023 9:51AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

As hilarious as that would be, I find it hard to believe at this point, considering, well, Hiyama confessed from chapter 1. So the only one capable of still confessing is Kimura. If she were to do this it would be impossible for Hiyama to give the desired cliche reaction, barring she received an unfortunate case of amnesia (which this manga would not be above doing admittedly).

The last part was what I was thinking of, although not amnesia necessarily as much as the way this series finds ways to deliver off-kilter tropes. (It could even be Kimura’s reaction to Hiyama accepting her confession.)

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Soo what do you think their relationship will be like once they get together? I think Hiyama will be the needy gf while Kimura will be the no- nonsense partner.

I imagine it exactly like this.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Correct me if I am wrong, but has there not been a chapter where she casually kabedon'd Kimura? I distinctly remember it happening once, if not twice.
In comparison a hug is far more intimate and something that they have not been capable of before. A kabedon is a more hostile gesture in Shoujo manga too, mostly used by bullies to threaten or by male love interests to corner. A hug is a wholly positive gesture, which is what Kimura needed after hearing the badmouthing by the mob girls. Unintentionally or not, this felt like the optimal way to go about it.

Chapters 11 and 20 are both tagged kabedon, yes, giving one for both the web and the magazine version. Was still the expected result considering her words and seeing her hand reach out like that - even more so since we only saw one hand before the hug was revealed on the next page. But yes, unintentional, optimal, and incredibly awkward.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well. That'll teach her!

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

It’s the same dumb joke every time, and I chuckle softly to myself every time

last edited at Mar 28, 2023 5:32PM

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Give her the ol' bear hug of love,a lack of oxygen is the fastest way to overpower a thick skull.

Albeit the heart has already been corrupted with those powerful thoughts.

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

bet the bullies r thinking “get married already ffs”

joined Mar 28, 2023

That'll teach her! download apk
teatv

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

"What are we even doing here"

Witnessing history.

joined Aug 21, 2017

bet the bullies r thinking “get married already ffs”

"stop involving us in your charades and get together already"

Chibi%20raiden%20pfp
joined Jun 17, 2016

Hold on a second! Is Kimura starting to have feelings for Hiyama already??? Lol
Well, that's a wonderful surprise development.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

Lol. This manga has now turned into flirting that looks like bullying, and I'm here for it.

joined Jan 11, 2014

I’ve been seeing this here and there and I’m wondering if I should pick it up, but I’m worried this manga isn’t more than [Protag wants her male crush’s attention and tries something] -> [Rival saying something threatening and demeaning] -> [Punchline where rival is actually super into the Protag]. Is there real development?

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ How many chapters have you read thus far?

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Oh snap,the guy is now completely out of her mind now.

More corruption!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018
joined Apr 20, 2021

I’ve been seeing this here and there and I’m wondering if I should pick it up, but I’m worried this manga isn’t more than [Protag wants her male crush’s attention and tries something] -> [Rival saying something threatening and demeaning] -> [Punchline where rival is actually super into the Protag]. Is there real development?

It starts with that premise but there is development

To reply you must either login or sign up.