Forum › My Sister's Best Friend, My Lover discussion

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Soooo Sena’s feelings for her sister are now just… ignored?

They haven't been ignored at all. What do you mean?

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Soooo Sena’s feelings for her sister are now just… ignored?
That’s the only problem I have with this series. This question, these untold words flying in the air of each chapter.

You need to reread chapter 10. Sena clearly says that she needs to move on and she is finally able to do so after getting support from Kiku.

She was afraid of facing Yuuna while having these feelings which was why she kept avoiding her, but after Yuuna's visit and getting back into contact with her sister, she realized that it wasn't as bad as she thought it would be and now has the courage to move on. I also think having someone know about your "deepest, darkest secret" and still accepting you helps a ton with your mental health which is what Kiku did for Sena after finding out about her feelings.

She also mentions the current state of her feelings for Yuuna in chapter 17. So yeah her whole thing with Yuuna is very far from being ignored by the storyline.

last edited at Dec 4, 2023 6:39PM

B25e08d9df956cc70b30a6cce4e9e9cb
joined Aug 27, 2013

Her feelings for sister exist. She could have decided to move on, to accept, to calm down, you name it. However, it doesn’t change the fact that she loves another person, while “starting to have feelings for Kiku”. That is bad storytelling. Because her feelings for sister are now absolutely useless information, not telling anything and not helping anyhow. They only explain her depression, which could be explained by more realistic things like injury or social issues. In other words, she had a problem. She didn’t solve it. She accepted it and moved on to having romantic life. Two almost unrelated story parts, one not influencing another.

The way I see it - the theme of incest became uncomfortable and the author decided to give Sena another love interest. The way she is now, she will always have silent unrequited love inside. Which is sad, really. Because it seems no one will be happy in this series. I feel tragedy, not romance, and it’s confusing.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Her feelings for sister exist. She could have decided to move on, to accept, to calm down, you name it. However, it doesn’t change the fact that she loves another person, while “starting to have feelings for Kiku”. That is bad storytelling. Because her feelings for sister are now absolutely useless information, not telling anything and not helping anyhow. They only explain her depression, which could be explained by more realistic things like injury or social issues. In other words, she had a problem. She didn’t solve it. She accepted it and moved on to having romantic life. Two almost unrelated story parts, one not influencing another.

You speak as if it's impossible to move on from an unrequited love. If Yuuna was not her sister and just another straight girl she had a crush on would you still read the story the same way? There is no way to "solve" an unrequited love besides accepting nothing will come from those feelings and moving on which is what Sena is doing.

Moving on is a process and you can still have feelings your crush while starting to love another. You can love more than one person. Plenty of people with deceased partners "move on" and love another while still holding feelings of love for their previous partners. People still hold fond feelings for their exes when they break up and start new relationships.

Her feelings for her sister is not useless information. Could she have been depressed for another reason? Yes, but Sena's whole issue (and the story) is about her warped understanding of love. Her whole life she only had her sister to depend on and her feelings for her sister were the only examples of "love" she had. Kiku's introduction expanded Sena's knowledge about love beyond just what her sister showed her. Sena's world now doesn't only consist of Yuuna and herself. It's now opened to Kiku, Yuria, her editor....she realizes that there are other people who care for her.

The way I see it - the theme of incest became uncomfortable and the author decided to give Sena another love interest. The way she is now, she will always have silent unrequited love inside. Which is sad, really. Because it seems no one will be happy in this series. I feel tragedy, not romance, and it’s confusing.

I really feel like we're not reading the same story. Kiku has been there since chapter one and is in all the promotional material with Sena. How could you think that the author threw Kiku in there as a secondary love interest?....

I honestly don't know how you want the story to go for it to be satisfying for you. What would you have liked Sena to do? From the sounds of it, it would only be good storytelling if it went the incest end?

last edited at Dec 6, 2023 2:39AM

joined Oct 27, 2023

I feel like you've been reading a completely different story from us. I advise you to give it another read with a different mindset

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

That was, sweet, almost sugary. And not just because of the cake Badum-Tssss

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Such an amazing series. Sena’s evolution has been handled so well. The two of them are lovely.

last edited at Jan 13, 2024 3:13PM

Images
joined Apr 7, 2021

Tulips suit them so well! Excellent choice

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

Three more to go. Ready for sugar overload!

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I wasn't sure about this one at first, but I've come to really like it. Everything seems like such an effort for Sena, but she keeps trying. It's inspirational.

joined Oct 2, 2021

The chemistry between these two sparks like a wet box of matches

last edited at Jan 14, 2024 7:53AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Lovely. ^_^

joined Jul 8, 2021

I love their relationship, every chapter I keep thinking "now kiss!"

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

They're trying to move forward, and they're very fond of each other, but their relationship is still really tense and stiff.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

What a beautiful chapter. The progress had me tearing up.

4dcdb845-8d95-436e-88de-33f14a592567
joined Dec 25, 2022

It’s a great story glad no real incest, almost dropped it.

Anyways in young children that kind of “I want to marry mommy. Because I love her so much.” Thing is quite normal. Children have trouble differentiating the two. And I presume either the older sister didn’t blow it off hard enough, because like she said she wanted to spoil her. And the younger sister never grew out of it.

Kiku passes the vibe check in my mind. She’s very caring, annoying but nice. She genuinely loves Sena, I think she loved yuuna too but knew yuuna didn’t love her like that.
I’m glad that Sena is growing up, y’all her feelings were causing her so much stress. She’s used to receiving ALL of her love from yuuna cause she was a loner.

Anyways as someone with many siblings I don’t understand how y’all romanticize incest so much. Yes I know it’s fictional. The only incest I’ll allow is step siblings that just met each other.

joined Mar 18, 2023

^
The Yuuna and Sena relationship will be explained in the next chapter. After that, will be the final chapter (21), and the extra ("22").

joined Sep 9, 2015

Anyways as someone with many siblings I don’t understand how y’all romanticize incest so much. Yes I know it’s fictional. The only incest I’ll allow is step siblings that just met each other.

As someone also with many siblings and not attracted to any of them that way (but they are very good looking!), I can't say for sure. I'm very glad I'm not attracted to them because we are very family oriented and they're not going away. But it's probably a special personal hell to be tormented constantly (an unrequited love even) by someone you will probably see for the rest of your life. I've had enough of my own unrequited love by people that came and went in my life, I'd never want that for a sibling.

Personally, I clicked and kept going for the art. And tags are just tags... Sometimes I'm vaguely interested in the theme just to see how it is written. If I don't jive with it, I click out.

On a side note about the art, I was chuckling when the bonus pages came up that told us how tall the characters were - the author to me draws them tall like they're 5'7 (especially Kiku) but they're like 5'5 and under lol. Yuria is definitely drawn like she's 5'0 though, cute.

Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Well, it's not really that complicated... It's taboo. People tend to find "forbidden fruit" interesting or otherwise compelling, but that doesn't mean they necessarily condone the behaviour or would ever do it in real life. It's exactly because it's fiction that one can explore such topics "safely", free from consequences.

As someone also with many siblings and not attracted to any of them that way (but they are very good looking!), I can't say for sure. I'm very glad I'm not attracted to them because we are very family oriented and they're not going away. But it's probably a special personal hell to be tormented constantly (an unrequited love even) by someone you will probably see for the rest of your life. I've had enough of my own unrequited love by people that came and went in my life, I'd never want that for a sibling.

Pretty much perfectly exemplified why such a topic can make for a so interesting and immersive story. And since it is nothing more than fiction, most likely also told by the viewpoint of the character experiencing these feelings... it's easy to end up rooting for them, even if you know it's wrong.

last edited at Feb 27, 2024 5:33PM

ArtemisOnVtubers
joined Dec 16, 2021

Boo, sad that she will stay behind of the fiance
But well the depresed girl is fine now

Deux%20points%20d%c3%a9
joined Mar 31, 2021

From my point of view and why I read incest stories, it's a level of drama
Note: I not only have siblings, but work in a field helping incest victims recover, I know very well the very real consequences of IRL incest

But we're talking fiction, and especially Yuri

Back in the "but we're both girls" days, being a lesbian couple was enough drama to drive a story
Now, fortunately, homosexual relationship are more accepted, more talked about, more "normal", and so "but we're both girls" isn't a steong enough drama to drive a story, at least not the kind of story needing drama to be told

So we had some new drama adding to the lesbians themes: actual discrimination, adult topics, be it work related, marriage related, sex related, and many other things. It can also be cheating, manipulation, NTR.

It can be anything and to be honest, I don't like to read most of those things.

Enter incest. Is those stories incest is the drama, so you don't need "more" to drive your story
It's back to those classic forbidden love tropes, we just replaced "but we're both girls" by "but we're sisters"
And that is often way milder than most of the driving dramas we have today

(There is also a history lesson to be made about the links between Yuri and incest, about the "sisters" relationship in Class S stories and such, but I'm not doing that today)

Fb_img_1479131434796
joined Oct 6, 2014

Hmm I feel very satisfied with this story. I know its not the finale yet but it seems like it'll only be a couple of chapters left, but I think I'm very satisfied with it. I like the growth that Sena went through, it felt very natural and realistic. It's not a wild, whirlwind romance story, but I think Sena and Kiku work really well together. Looking forward to the end.

joined Jan 10, 2017

This story is so freaking boring, lol. All tedious introspection framed in the reflection of Sena's dead fish eyes.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

This was a surprisingly sweet read. It's a really heavy subject matter and I like how it's depicted here. Wasn't expecting it at all. I loved every chapter so far.

joined Mar 18, 2023

The fiancee must be a ghost, 20 chapters and nowhere to be found. Yuna does not sound too excited about him. Maybe Yuna is a lesbian after all and marry a man just to have a sperm donor, plus society's approval. This story can easily have a biphobia subplot. Yuna dumping Kiku for a man.
2 more to go.

To reply you must either login or sign up.