Forum › My Sister's Best Friend, My Lover discussion

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

The fiancee must be a ghost, 20 chapters and nowhere to be found. Yuna does not sound too excited about him. Maybe Yuna is a lesbian after all and marry a man just to have a sperm donor, plus society's approval. This story can easily have a biphobia subplot. Yuna dumping Kiku for a man.
2 more to go.

I think she just knows to be cautious with that topic around Sena. Sena mentions that she hadn't talked with her about him before, since Sena would avoid the subject.
Beyond that the sister seems happy.

It's similar to how the MC in Alter Ego realized that because she was jealous of her best friends boyfriend and hostile to ever discussing him, she left her friend without someone to depend on. The friend knew never to mention anything related to him, especially all the good things.

Now that I think of it, both series have a very similar dynamic between the 3 women and even similar outcomes. That's getting a sequel btw, for those who have read it.

last edited at Feb 28, 2024 6:56AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This story can easily have a biphobia subplot. Yuna dumping Kiku for a man.

I’m not seeing how “Yuna dumped Kiku for a man.” Although any breakup can be painful, breaking up with someone because you find that you can’t love them the way they deserve to be loved is a perfectly reasonable and humane thing to do.

Nothing here suggests that Yuna’s problem was with Kiku’s gender.

joined Jan 11, 2022

Thanks for the update!

Images
joined Apr 7, 2021

I did not fully understand this chapter uugh

joined Sep 10, 2022

I did not fully understand this chapter uugh

Compare this chapter's Sena to the Sena from the start of the story. Would a meeting and conversation like this be possible back then? Or was it the conversation itself that you were confused by?

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Anyways as someone with many siblings I don’t understand how y’all romanticize incest so much. Yes I know it’s fictional. The only incest I’ll allow is step siblings that just met each other.

This particular story does not romanticize incest at all. On the contrary, it explicitly deals with how hard it is to feel attracted to a sibling. Because you cannot help who you feel attracted to. You can only control your actions.

Stories like these are super interesting (even some of the ones with actual incest, depending on how it's written). They allow us to get a different perspective about the world that we wouldn't have otherwise. It's the same reason why Nabokov wrote Lolita (although I haven't read that one so I can't tell if it's any good): to explore a difficult subject matter in a medium where it causes no harm to anyone.

Of course, that's considering the story doesn't actually romanticize these themes, in which case it may well cause harm (I will forever hate a few bdsm movies on Netflix for how much they romanticize abuse and other clear violations of consent). But it's not the case here.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

A rather nice chapter. ^_^

joined Jun 11, 2019

i never thought of this being specifically about incest. sena’s feelings for her sister arent sexual and not even really romantic, its a “childish” love born from dependency. in fiction its easier to portray that with a natural maternal figure, and sena’s intense feelings are a pretty accurate reaction to perceived abandonment. its why kiku never puts a name to sena’s feelings for yuuna, and in chapter 8 and 10 is the turning point for sena as she becomes more self aware of whats going on.
sena’s relationship with kiku is about growing up from that dependency. as her world opens up she learns how to define herself on her own, have support spread out in multiple different kinds of relationships such as with yuria and her editor, learns to trust kiku’s feelings, and be in a dating relationship with kiku where they are both equals. her character development is the exact kind of therapy goals one with dependency issues would have, and you can tell the author wrote it from a personal place.
all of the relationship values and struggles explored in the story are really consistent with this theme. i guess its more obvious if you have experience with them personally, and it hits very closely.
also one thing i found interesting was that sena’s approach to her relationship with kiku is pretty asexual while kiku is the foil to her, having more typical sexual feelings, such as the love at first sight encounters. kiku’s a really good character too but ive already written so much its cringe

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Now that I think of it, both series have a very similar dynamic between the 3 women and even similar outcomes. That's getting a sequel btw, for those who have read it.

Yoooo Alter Ego is getting a sequel? Good shit!

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

kiku’s a really good character too but ive already written so much its cringe

No, write more!

joined Sep 10, 2022

Yoooo Alter Ego is getting a sequel? Good shit!

Yeah! Alter Ego 2: Noel and June. It'll be officially out in English in a couple months.

last edited at Feb 29, 2024 6:13AM

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

kiku’s a really good character too but ive already written so much its cringe

No, write more!

Absolutely. That was their first post? One of the easiest-to-read "long" posts I've seen on here. And not all that long in the grand scheme of comments here.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

Will the scanlators finish the manga, chapter 21 and extra?

To reply you must either login or sign up.