Forum › Can't Defy the Lonely Girl discussion

joined Dec 5, 2019

Did you notice how mom says she understands whats going on?
I'm positive she was npt refering to their "friendship", that whole scene I was scared that Ayaka was going to throw Sora out of the closet and I was glad she didn't but I guess mom got it anyway

The question that remains is if she let go to let her daughter sort her feelings out or just because everything was becoming more difficult than she planned and she could not be arsed to care more than she did

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

"-youre on your own"
"so the same as always"
That woman literally just showed up to throw her weight around after doing nothing.

Not the first bad manga parent to do so:

"I'm the parent, so don't cause any trouble."

[Character stands up for themselves.]

"Ah, you're too much trouble--do whatever you want."

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

We could have skipped mom and got the to kiss and confession without any loss of story. That said: Fricking finally! Now nobody has to pretend that they are friendship-kissing.

hieuhp15082004
joined May 14, 2020

She nailed it

joined Jan 6, 2017

We could have skipped mom and got the to kiss and confession without any loss of story. That said: Fricking finally! Now nobody has to pretend that they are friendship-kissing.

Sora's family situation was always in the air so I think getting that resolved is good, even if it was very awkwardly executed

Uohh
joined Mar 19, 2014

The mom is a badly written plot device. First she smacks the taste outta Sora's mouth at the drop of a hat, but then goes "alright, do what you want" when she displays any resistance. The whole arc pretty much went like:

"It's me, Evil Mama! She's coming with me!"
"No, Evil Mama, I love her!"
"No, Evil Mama, I want to stay!"
"Curses, foiled again!"
[kissy time, applause ensues]

I get that forced drama is the most popular way to extract a climactic confession in yuri manga, but this was just too on the nose lol. It even happened at the most opportune moment possible; just in time to avoid the perfectly unstrained confession Ayaka was going for earlier.

joined Feb 1, 2021

The mom plot felt very rushed and half-hearted, but as soon as she left the manga started playing much more to its strengths. The scene in the classroom was great

joined Nov 14, 2014

That...resolved rather quickly

joined Feb 18, 2015

She nailed it

It's rude to call your girlfriend "it" Ayaka!

BlurredExistence
Blurred
joined Jan 31, 2013

An issue introduced in a rushed manner then resolved so easily, quickly and neatly leaves me feeling rather unsatisfied by this resolution in a manga i was, up until the last two chapters, enjoying.

Seriously, if the mother was so understanding why the heck didn't she have a frank and open conversation with her daughter about moving before this was an issue? In fact why is her daughter so afraid of speaking out in front of her?

You can't paint their relationship one way and then have it quickly and easily go another.

last edited at Apr 21, 2021 6:46PM

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

An issue introduced in a rushed manner then resolved so easily, quickly and neatly leaves me feeling rather unsatisfied by this resolution in a manga i was, up until the last two chapters, enjoying.

Seriously, if the mother was so understanding why the heck didn't she have a frank and open conversation with her daughter about moving before this was an issue? In fact why is her daughter so afraid of speaking out in front of her?

You can't paint their relationship one way and then have it quickly and easily go another.

She wasn't "understanding." She just didn't want to cause too much of a commotion in a public place. While I know it's stereotypical, it's standard "conform, don't stand out" thing of Japanese culture. As to Sora, that's also part of the whole "respect your elders" thing that, while not unique, is much more socially enforced in Eastern cultures. Not to mention the abuse affects different people differently, some just accept things easily to try and make the abuser give them affection that they've been lacking.

last edited at Apr 21, 2021 7:50PM

MapleLovesYuri
Okay%20magge
joined Mar 5, 2021

The mom is a badly written plot device. First she smacks the taste outta Sora's mouth at the drop of a hat, but then goes "alright, do what you want" when she displays any resistance. The whole arc pretty much went like:

"It's me, Evil Mama! She's coming with me!"
"No, Evil Mama, I love her!"
"No, Evil Mama, I want to stay!"
"Curses, foiled again!"
[kissy time, applause ensues]

I get that forced drama is the most popular way to extract a climactic confession in yuri manga, but this was just too on the nose lol. It even happened at the most opportune moment possible; just in time to avoid the perfectly unstrained confession Ayaka was going for earlier.

yeah that slap was really unnecessary author prob did it to say that she's a strict mom.

could have done it any other way, but it was an okay confession i kinda want the the girl to confess without any force forcing her though

joined Feb 23, 2016

Now that’s what i needed(●´ω`●)

joined Mar 16, 2021

I don't think the author is conscious about it, but I think that having a parent like this very conveniently explains Sora's manipulative behaviors at the start of the series.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Welp, now time to see the wingmen hook up

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

I, for one, loved every part of it. I think the mom plot's fine. It's a little direct to serve a very specific purpose, but I think that's okay. I mean, it's like when the heroes spend the whole story trying to stop the big bad from getting the macguffin, then the big bad gets the macguffin, and it results in a big epic fight scene against impossible odds that we all know that outcome to but is fun to watch. The confession in the airport was that scene. As a writer, I know that "realism" isn't really what you should be going for. Gotta make that drama happen ;o

Maybe I'm just giving the author the benefit of the doubt, but I thought it was an amazing story with a great payoff. I cried at the end. Seeing how happy everyone was to have Sora back, and the scene with Sora and Ayaka in Sora's room, just gave me such good feelings. Plus, as a person with an abusive mother (though maybe not as bad), those interactions made perfect sense to me. Abusers have a certain level of perceived control over their victims. She wasn't throwing in the towel, she was letting the leash go taut, convinced that Sora will come running back to her.

joined May 17, 2020

What with this no regrets thing and all felt like i'm reading AOT

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Cute.

MeiLangSakalam
271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

hays bohai

2021-02-06%2003_35_00-window
joined Aug 12, 2018

what the fuck so you mean there's MORE? The mom drama + confession wasn't the end of the manga? really felt like it was

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

They played Mario Kart together and didn't have a massive fight and break up, which means they're married for life

Gelert_Xross
joined Apr 15, 2013

They played Mario Kart together and didn't have a massive fight and break up, which means they're married for life

Mario Party is the real relationship killer. I've never heard my friends curse like they do when they play that damn game.

Takasaki Reika
Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

i Never play Mario kart before

last edited at May 1, 2021 1:44PM

joined Feb 1, 2021

Cute. If the author is able to keep up this quality of fluff I think I can forgive them stepping on a rake with the whole Mom arc

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

I thought for a bit that was the end, but now I see it's just the start of vol 4! I'm glad we're not done with this yet.

To reply you must either login or sign up.