Forum › Run Away With Me, Girl discussion

joined Jul 26, 2016

On the subject of abortion in Japan: it's actually quite easy, if you are an unmarried woman. Even more so if you are a college student or a high school girl. That's because the law allows doctors to practice abortion because of "economic reasons" -- in other words, if the mother doesn't have the money to raise a kid -- and the lack of a breadwinner husband is considered economic reason enough.

I remember, in shoujo/josei series I have read, many incidents of schoolgirls who get pregnant because of carelessness. Abortion is immediately assumed to be the solution, and the only real question is who will pay for it, as no hospital will do it for free! (This usually leads to a heated quarrel with the stupid bf who didn't use a condom and now doesn't want to fork over the cash for the procedure...)

The Wiki, FWIW, notes that in over 99% of cases the doctors just write down "mother's health" as the justification and have consistently done so for decades, which is pretty obviously a bald-faced white lie on their part. And that's just the ones they actually do report in the first place.

Or at least that was as of 2000 but chances are pretty good the situation hasn't changed much since then.

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 3:46PM

joined May 24, 2019

Doumyou clearly is a selfish twat because not only did she ask her married and pregnant friend if she could come over to her gatdamn house to tell her gatdamn husband that she had feelings for him, she saw him treat his wife like dirt and STILL had the gall to spit mean at her at work.

I have to say I'm disappointed in Doumyou.
I thought she was going to be a good friend to Midori, even if she was jealous.
I never expected her to be such a b-word.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

The Wiki, FWIW, notes that in over 99% of cases the doctors just write down "mother's health" as the justification and have consistently done so for decades, which is pretty obviously a bald-faced white lie on their part. And that's just the ones they actually do report in the first place.

Both are related, I suppose. Lack of $$$ and health consequences.

I found an interesting article, couple of years old, about the morning after pill:

https://www.reddit.com/r/japan/comments/5dlhcn/the_morning_after_pill_in_japan/

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, all of this was expected.

joined Jun 12, 2019

All of this toxic heteronormativity is really getting painful to read. I swear if the only reason Midori runs back to Maki is her d-bag husband cheats on her, I'm going quit this story.

Same tbh

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

Too much slagging off Tazune alone in these comments. Its like women can do no wrong. Midori's hugely problematic as well. You had unprotected sex! What the fuck were you expecting other than a baby??? Tazune's a scumbag but he was right on the mark that Midori IS just an idiot with a cute face. Besides, she fell in love with this guy just because he kept her from being lonely. With that its difficult to say whether or not she loved our MC at all or if she just loved not being alone and without the baggage of an unwanted pregnancy and being patronised.

I'm sick of these yuri manga with toxic love interests engaged to male antagonists that are then rewarded despite their fuck ups. Maki needs to move on and forget about Midori. She was offered help many times and turned it away to wallow even after hearing Maki says she was in love with her. Enjoy your loveless marriage and your unwanted pregnancy.

joined Jul 26, 2016

The difference is that Midori's issues are rooted in major dependency problems and fair bit of emotional damage from childhood, whereas Tazune besides being a two-faced toxic asshole is de facto exploiting them - consciously or not, but I doubt he'd be as openly abusive towards Midori as he is if he didn't have at least a hunch of why she's willing to just "grin and bear it". (He's quite capable of putting up a "nice guy" front when he wants to after all.)

Being flawed and foolish is one thing; actively abusing such in others for your own gain is a sin of an entirely different magnitude.

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 5:09PM

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

The difference is that Midori's issues are rooted in major dependency problems and fair bit of emotional damage from childhood, whereas Tazune besides being a two-faced toxic asshole is de facto exploiting them - consciously or not, but I doubt he'd be as abusive towards Midori as he is if he didn't have at least a hunch of why she's willing to just "grin and bear it". (He's quite capable of putting up a "nice guy" front when he wants to after all.)

Being flawed and foolish is one thing; actively abusing such in others for your own gain is a sin of an entirely different magnitude.

You're finding excuses. How do you know Tazune doesn't have deep rooted problems of his own? Because he didn't get a nice backstory explaining his actions and personality? Midori took advantage of Maki, Tazune took advantage of Midori. They deserve each other.

joined Jul 23, 2019

Hugging your bride with one hand and texting your affair partner with the other – can you get more chad than that?

joined Jul 26, 2016

You're finding excuses. How do you know Tazune doesn't have deep rooted problems of his own? Because he didn't get a nice backstory explaining his actions and personality? Midori took advantage of Maki, Tazune took advantage of Midori. They deserve each other.

And you're engaging in blatant victim-blaming to excuse blatant domestic abuse so, yeah. See the thing is that while Tazune might well have a shitty backstory of his own that explains his nasty habits there's nothing that would excuse them, and while the way Midori dropped Maki like an old sock upon graduation sure as shit wasn't nice it's a far cry from the active belittling disdain et al he keeps heaping on his wife-to-be at every opportunity for no other apparent reason than enjoying it.

As far as we can tell from the available information Midori acts, and acted, the way she does and did out of deep-seated abandonement issues. While Tazune seems to be going off a malign need or desire to put down others - or at least his wife, but the way he rubbed it in the face of her old friend sure makes you wonder - to feel better about himself (at best; "for sick kicks" certainly isn't off the books either).

Active malice is an altogether greater moral offense than mere thoughtlessness.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Midori is deeply flawed but is finally starting to make strides in recognizing and overcoming that. That's why I'm more forgiving of her and her obviously historically shitty decisions, as well as her faltering steps towards something better. That kind of change isn't easy.

Tazune is happy to be a douchbag as long as he gets what he wants, which is apparently lots of (unprotected) sex with whoever is willing to provide it, with lots of insults to pad his own ego on the side.

Doumyou is just garbage. Maybe she'll get knocked up too and see how it feels to be "stuck with" a dude who is just in things to use you for what he can get out of you before he moves on.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Hugging your bride with one hand and texting your affair partner with the other – can you get more chad than that?

I guess this pretty much confirms what I suspected, as seen in a previous question of mine:

Tiny Daddy is the opposite of Incel. Total Chad-man, who doesn't even need to chase women, they throw themselves at him.

His personality may be rotten, but he can pretend to be nice long enough to get someone in his bedroom.

Ah. So he's like a straight and much less attractive version of the Roman emperor Hadrian?

joined Jul 26, 2016

I guess this pretty much confirms what I suspected, as seen in a previous question of mine:

Tiny Daddy is the opposite of Incel. Total Chad-man, who doesn't even need to chase women, they throw themselves at him.

His personality may be rotten, but he can pretend to be nice long enough to get someone in his bedroom.

Ah. So he's like a straight and much less attractive version of the Roman emperor Hadrian?

Well Hadrian had the benefit of being the motherfucking Emperor. Tended to be Hell of a pheromone, that. o3o

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

And you're engaging in blatant victim-blaming to excuse blatant domestic abuse so, yeah. See the thing is that while Tazune might well have a shitty backstory of his own that explains his nasty habits there's nothing that would excuse them, and while the way Midori dropped Maki like an old sock upon graduation sure as shit wasn't nice it's a far cry from the active belittling disdain et al he keeps heaping on his wife-to-be at every opportunity for no other apparent reason than enjoying it.

As far as we can tell from the available information Midori acts, and acted, the way she does and did out of deep-seated abandonement issues. While Tazune seems to be going off a malign need or desire to put down others - or at least his wife, but the way he rubbed it in the face of her old friend sure makes you wonder - to feel better about himself (at best; "for sick kicks" certainly isn't off the books either).

Active malice is an altogether greater moral offense than mere thoughtlessness.

Victim blaming??? The only victim here is Maki! Midori has not been abused in any way! Her fiance calls her an idiot with a cute face but unlike Midori we have had no POV from him to determine if he's doing it out of sheer vitriol or if he's just ignorant to people's feelings. And its not like he's wrong anyway. She's proven that she's just an idiot with a cute face. Midori made her bed to have unprotected sex with a guy who she knew was a dick but she did it anyway just to keep him there! SHE was that same insensitive dick years ago and she's the same now. She knew Maki loved her and was soft enough to welcome her back with open arms that she could cry in about her shitty life and then when it was all over she went back to him. Abandonment issues is no excuse for using people either. Even after hearing Maki whisper to her that she still loved her she said "let me have my happiness". She's a grown ass woman! She knew what she was doing, and if she didn't she's even more selfish!

The people on this website have a serious problem acknowledging problematic female characters. They immediately swallow down the POV of the main characters regardless of how shitty they are.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Can't believe someone downright defend ashitty asshole husband. What do you need for balming him ? That it he hit her ?

Midori has not been abused in any way!

Moral abuse is still abuse as far as i'm concerned. He always said she is an idiot and don't listen to what she said. Do you remember they're married and she gonna have a baby ? He clearly don't love her. She may have made a mistake by marrying him but don't fully innocent him on that. He is still an asshole.

but unlike Midori we have had no POV from him to determine if he's doing it out of sheer vitriol or if he's just ignorant to people's feelings.

Yeah cause calling someone an idiot again and again is totally innocent from him.

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 6:00PM

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

Can't believe someone downright defend ashitty asshole husband. What do you need for balming him ? That it he hit her ?

Point out where I defended Tazune... The point of my argument is that Midori is just as shitty as he is and they deserve each other.

Moral abuse is still abuse as far as i'm concerned. He always said she is an idiot and don't listen to what she said. Do you remember they're married and she gonna have a baby ? He clearly don't love her. She may have made a mistake by marrying him but don't fully innocent him on that. He is still an asshole.

Calling her an idiot with a cute face isn't abuse. He's an asshole but he's not abusing her. GTFO with this bullshit.

Yeah cause calling someone an idiot again and again is totally innocent from him.

He called her dumb once. Also, nobody said he was innocent, I called him a shitty person. I merely offered a different look at the scenario because you were all so hellbent on shitting on the character while overlooking the same shitty things Midori was doing. Also, also, she IS dumb.

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 6:06PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Midori is deeply flawed but is finally starting to make strides in recognizing and overcoming that. That's why I'm more forgiving of her and her obviously historically shitty decisions

and while the way Midori dropped Maki like an old sock upon graduation sure as shit wasn't nice

Weird flex but ok

joined Jul 26, 2016

Midori has not been abused in any way!

Uh-huh. This astonishingly clueless claim by itself would be cause enough to simply disqualify from the discussion, just so you know.

Her fiance calls her an idiot with a cute face but unlike Midori we have had no POV from him to determine if he's doing it out of sheer vitriol or if he's just ignorant to people's feelings.

For the record I was initially willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was merely tactless and insensitive rather than actively malicious.

He since amply proved himself a two-faced actively abusive cunt so.

And its not like he's wrong anyway. She's proven that she's just an idiot with a cute face.

Quite irrelevant. All people have flaws; but if you're going to be in a relationship and not a total fucking dickbag you owe it to your SO to not constantly and maliciously belittle them for theirs. It's kind of basic human decency to not get into a relationship with someone you scorn just so you can heap abuse on them as you please.

Tazune does exactly that so it duly rather follows he indeed is a total fucking dickbag.

Midori made her bed to have unprotected sex with a guy who she knew was a dick but she did it anyway just to keep him there!

And Tazune outright refused to put on the rubber for wholly selfish reasons, more likely than not because he'd caught on to Midori having too strong dependency issues to reject him (which would also explain why he started shedding his nice-guy mask around that period). And while his willingness to marry her in the aftermath could be construed as "taking responsibility" all evidence implies it had altogether more to do with a golden opportunity to get himself a nice easily manipulated doormat of a wife who's far too insecure to refuse to put up with his shit.

Also known as helluva textbook domestic abuser behaviour.

SHE was that same insensitive dick years ago and she's the same now. She knew Maki loved her and was soft enough to welcome her back with open arms that she could cry in about her shitty life and then when it was all over she went back to him. Abandonment issues is no excuse for using people either. Even after hearing Maki whisper to her that she still loved her she said "let me have my happiness". She's a grown ass woman! She knew what she was doing, and if she didn't she's even more selfish!

So hey, remind me of the points where she goes out of her way to actively hurt and humiliate Maki just to stroke her own ego?

The people on this website have a serious problem acknowledging problematic female characters. They immediately swallow down the POV of the main characters regardless of how shitty they are.

Bullshit. And your entire argument is based on a gross false equivalence.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Midori is deeply flawed but is finally starting to make strides in recognizing and overcoming that. That's why I'm more forgiving of her and her obviously historically shitty decisions

and while the way Midori dropped Maki like an old sock upon graduation sure as shit wasn't nice

Weird flex but ok

I don't remember ever saying anything about old socks, so I don't understand why I'm suddenly being dragged into this angry discussion lol

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Weird flex but ok

I don't remember ever saying anything about old socks, so I don't understand why I'm suddenly being dragged into this angry discussion lol

Yeah, the second one is not from you but since i can't make 2 quote without putting something between it I end up putting the two quotes in one

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Well Hadrian had the benefit of being the motherfucking Emperor. Tended to be Hell of a pheromone, that. o3o

But, to be fair, he is better than this guy. Hadrian at least had a true love (a Greek (to put it in that damn right-winger DovahHatty's words) twink named Antinous), while Tinny Daddy (you should trademark that, BTW) lacks something like that.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Weird flex but ok

Yeah, the second one is not from you but since i can't make 2 quote without putting something between it I end up putting the two quotes in one

Does wonders completely obfuscating what you even meant though.

Untitled2
joined Dec 24, 2013

Uh-huh. This astonishingly clueless claim by itself would be cause enough to simply disqualify from the discussion, just so you know.

How arrogant. You didn't even attempt to provide a counter. Just claimed I was so clueless that I wasn't worth your time. Lol.

For the record I was initially willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was merely tactless and insensitive rather than actively malicious.

And what changed your mind?

He since amply proved himself a two-faced actively abusive cunt so.

He isn't abusive. He's insensitive, possessive, and a dickhead, but he has not abused anybody. No matter how often you say it, it won't make it true. Show me an example or stop saying it.

Quite irrelevant. All people have flaws; but if you're going to be in a relationship and not a total fucking dickbag you owe it to your SO to not constantly and maliciously belittle them for theirs. It's kind of basic human decency to not get into a relationship with someone you scorn just so you can heap abuse on them as you please.

Not at all irrelevant. She is an idiot. That much must be noted considering a major focal point of the story is the mistakes she's made. It's very relevant to establish that she's an idiot. Especially since she clearly learns slowly. He's a dickhead, but she's an idiot. Both are true.

And Tazune outright refused to put on the rubber for wholly selfish reasons,

He didn't ouright refuse anything. He claimed he forgot and wanted to anyway because "its mine". Whether this meant her vag was his or she should be okay with having unprotected sex because she's doing it with him is unclear. Either way, she consented. She acknowledged she could have turned him away but out of fear of him leaving in anger she consented. She's just as much to blame for the unwanted pregnancy as he was. She prioritised companionship over safe sex.

more likely than not because he'd caught on to Midori having too strong dependency issues to reject him (which would also explain why he started shedding his nice-guy mask around that period). And while his willingness to marry her in the aftermath could be construed as "taking responsibility" all evidence implies it had altogether more to do with a golden opportunity to get himself a nice easily manipulated doormat of a wife who's far too insecure to refuse to put up with his shit.

Also known as helluva textbook domestic abuser behaviour.

Headcanons are nice huh? You can just make up whatever you feel and judge a character based on the events that transpire in your head. Once again, we have no POV from Tazune for you to make any calls on why he decided to marry her or how he feels about her outside of the fact that he's insensitive. He already said he doesn't like being lonely. For all you know he's the exact same as Midori, and as far as what we've seen up to now he is.

So hey, remind me of the points where she goes out of her way to actively hurt and humiliate Maki just to stroke her own ego?

She didn't do that but I can show you where she went out of her way to make herself feel better by using Maki's who she knows has very real feelings for her.

Or is that not as valid?

Bullshit. And your entire argument is based on a gross false equivalence.

You spent the last hour and a half proving my point, mate.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Weird flex but ok

Does wonders completely obfuscating what you even meant though.

StarKnight wa saying that comments here tend to overshadow how Midori was shitty and I was putting quote where did say she was.

He claimed he forgot

That's easy to say on the spot. "Oops i forgot"

last edited at Feb 22, 2020 6:43PM

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Calling her an idiot with a cute face isn't abuse. He's an asshole but he's not abusing her. GTFO with this bullshit.

Please. He is absolutely being abusive. Insulting her privately, insulting and embarrassing her publicly, being dismissive of her concerns, etc. are things that hurt her emotionally and breed self doubt in her. It is emotional abuse, whether that's his intention or not.

To reply you must either login or sign up.