Forum › Adachi and Shimamura discussion

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Suggestion to make useless lesbian a real tag lo/

I know you joke, but I feel like rambling about this, especially in light of the complaints about certain tropes, so bear with me.

Most yuri that I've seen on this site has useless lesbians. It might be easier to tag the ones where the characters specific mental hangups or other reasons stand in the way of the relationship, the ones where "just confessing" or similar, relatively simple actions, wouldn't resolve the main conflict. Bloom into You is one such example.

The "useless lesbian" phenomenon is on one hand just the lesbian edition of the cluster of romantic tropes including "oblivious to love" and "can not spit it out", but on the other hand the real life implications of romance between women puts these tropes in a different context. Not just because it's more likely that someone is oblivious to love, if the kind of attraction they are experiencing is not centered in their culture, and that they may be more afraid of admitting to those feelings for fear of repercussions.

But there's also a specific kind of isolation to the wlw experience. E.g. the size of the dating pool in your area, the assumption that "she's probably straight", the lack of access to a community, if you don't live in the right place. And that's if you are out to yourself. It's possibly worse to go through high school, not even knowing what you're missing, but that something's just not right.

I'm not saying that yuri manga authors secretly conspire to intentionally reference this experience by restricting most of their works to be about school girls, and follow the useless lesbians narrative. The publishers look for profit, and the artists most often follow their own personal influences (which are often school girl yuri), or can't afford to spend too much time with developing stories that would radically break with conventions. But at the same time, I feel like the state of yuri manga unintentionally reflects the isolation that I mentioned above. In these school girl yuri manga, teenage girls fall in love with each other, but these romances are isolated occurrences, as the stories rarely allow the girls' attempts to contextualize their feelings, or seek community with other girls and women like them. This is probably also an example of how the industry dilutes the aspects of yuri that can radically challenge the real life status quo... Most yuri readers are looking for a comfortable break from the harsh realities of the world (understandably so), so stories that take those realities seriously are bad for business. But I'm getting off topic.

Naturally, averting or subverting the useless lesbian narrative is not a bad thing - quite the opposite. Sapphic stories that are more optimistic or don't present the lesbian experience as an inherent obstacle, are absolutely crucial. I totally share the frustration with the dearth of these kinds of stories. But before dismissing these tropes as cliché, it's worth considering how they connect to real life, and in what ways they can still be relevant. What I wish for is more stories that are honest about the real life situation, but aren't limited by it. For example, Prism and Cotton Candy both offer a short but startlingly "real" glimpse at lesbophobia, despite the fact that both of them are fairly upbeat and optimistic throughout.

And this is why we can't have nice things!

I do try to keep in mind why so many lead charactres i find to be boring probably are leads to begin with. Playing it safe and whatnot. This was a nice and interesting post. Really should go to bed now though.

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

getting reaaal tired of the alien girl.

daydream_dog94
Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

so they have a daughter now lol! also, if they were fated to meet for a reason, i hope that reason is so she can help dense Shimamura see that adachi is crushing on her.. if not then i see no piont to her character

Delinquint%20yuri
joined Sep 14, 2016

I think people were writing about how it has subtext end but seeing as the gay levels are already trough the roof I don't see how this manga could end without a confession

joined Apr 19, 2017

Gaylien

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

I need more of this absolute goodness. This is definitely the comfiest mango I'm reading at the moment. Chapter 9's title sounds like it'll be real good!

last edited at Apr 29, 2019 6:38PM

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Daughter

joined May 1, 2015

The alien is their future daughter. She probably wants to mess with her mums.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

This god damn alien girl is the biggest third wheel ever.

joined May 30, 2015

OMG THEY ALREADY ACTING LIKE A LESBIAN COUPLE WITH CHILD <3

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

A L I E N S

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Oh. Oh. Oh. Oh. Oh! That's my pairing!!! I really loved it. Adachi is starting to open up! Just amazing.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

... I'm not sure where this story is going with the little 'alien' girl?.... Is this gonna have sci fi elements or is she just a tripped out little space cadet? Hoping it's the later cos I was enjoying the pace and story so far as it is... please let there be no random fantasy/sci fi elements! Slice of life is so cruisey and nice!

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

The alien girl gives off Yashiro Hoshimiya vibes

They both claim to be aliens, right? I figure it's the same universe and all the Yashiros are lost aliens from the same place. Obviously nobody believes them but they're actually telling the truth.

joined Jan 17, 2017

This is .. so comfy

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

... I'm not sure where this story is going with the little 'alien' girl?.... Is this gonna have sci fi elements or is she just a tripped out little space cadet? Hoping it's the later cos I was enjoying the pace and story so far as it is... please let there be no random fantasy/sci fi elements! Slice of life is so cruisey and nice!

My guess is Yashiro is just an overly quirky character included for wildcard effect. At most, she might get a small arc at some point, but I don't think you have to worry about any major sci-fi plots.

last edited at Apr 30, 2019 7:28PM

Love%20live!%20allstars%20kotohanayou
joined Apr 25, 2019

Need this chapter from Adachi's pov. I want to see her preparation for her 'date' with Shimamura.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

I see now how spoiled I was when the focus was just on the main pair. v.v

Still good. Just getting greedy over here is all.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Need this chapter from Adachi's pov. I want to see her preparation for her 'date' with Shimamura.

Just wait for the LN release :P

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

An actual magical alien baby from the future who travelled back in time to visit her 2 moms!

phatboisteez
F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

OH WOW!!! THis isn't a dream!!!!?!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

EvilDevil posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-05-06/hitoma-iruma-adachi-to-shimamura-yuri-novels-get-tv-anime/.146465

Weird how we now have 4 different designs of the girls, 3 in the link and the one we're used to in the manga adaptation.

The novel series centers on two high school students Adachi and Shimamura, who spend their time playing table tennis in the school gym, or talking about their favorite TV series or food, or else whiling away the time quietly together, while they both think about each other.

It's so simple yet so effective!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Update: Moke Yuzuhara will launch the new manga adaptation in Kadokawa's Monthly Comic Dengeki Daioh magazine on May 25.

And looks like we have a date for the new manga version as well.

To reply you must either login or sign up.