Forum › Hino-san no Baka discussion

Dq96tyidseq-min%20(6)
joined Apr 29, 2019

Obviously they're "not bad". Cause she got 92 in one subject. This is an Asian girl we are talking about. She was probably expecting 95+ in every subject.

well idk, a lot of Japanese commentators were also surprised by that remark of hers. (also, it was まあまあ in Japanese which I think is closer to "so-so" or "not so good" in that context (but I'm not sure))

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

insane amount of sex

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

bruh, why're 90+ grades "not bad" lol?? Those are midterms. I'd kill for those grades in university

Obviously they're "not bad". Cause she got 92 in one subject. This is an Asian girl we are talking about. She was probably expecting 95+ in every subject.

Wow

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

;A;

EDIT: Damn near gave me a heart attack when I read this, but now that I think about it, it's probably just a joke.

I'm so confused about this. The manga is still tagged as ongoing so I hope there are still more chapters.

...Isn't it obvious it was a joke tied to Hino's "well, I'll never pass"? It's the author going "Wellp, Hino will never pass, so it's all over, guys! Guess the manga's done! ;) "

I don't get the joke.

Author (paraphrased by me): "Geeze, I had this whole series planned out for Hino to keep teasing Koguma in increasingly yuri ways, but Hino ruined it all because she's too stupid to pass her tests. Man, I was really looking forward to it, too. Oh well, I guess this series is over. Hino ruined it for all of you. See you in my next manga!"

Does that make it any clearer?

Um no.

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

Author (paraphrased by me): "Geeze, I had this whole series planned out for Hino to keep teasing Koguma in increasingly yuri ways, but Hino ruined it all because she's too stupid to pass her tests. Man, I was really looking forward to it, too. Oh well, I guess this series is over. Hino ruined it for all of you. See you in my next manga!"

Um no.

Well, it's fine. It's not a particularly important joke anyways.
Maybe you'll get it someday you're really bored and random thoughts and memories come to your mind, and this one appears you analyze it left and right, and then you'll see where it went and you'll say "oh, I get it. Ha! What a lame joke that was"

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

It was time for Thomas to leave. He had seen everything.

That picture is creep incarnate.

Um no.

You worry me Jonathan.

Wow

Stereotypes are charming, didn't you know?

mei is waifu
Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

No sis, I'm not trying to make a stereotype joke (though it probably seems that way, but no), it's from a personal experience. My mom threatened to disown me if I didn't get 95+ in all subjects in my 12th grade finals. "You're from a respectable family. This kind of marks are expected from you. Even mentally retarded people get 90%. Stop wasting our money and get out of the house if you can't at least get a 95%." (sic)- My Dear Mother. And a lot of people in my country face a similar situation everyday. It's not a stereotype.

joined Sep 1, 2017

Um no.

Maybe you'll get it someday you're really bored and random thoughts and memories come to your mind, and this one appears you analyze it left and right, and then you'll see where it went and you'll say "oh, I get it. Ha! What a lame joke that was"

Wait. Did the author really say that? I thought you made stuff up. The joke would make sense if that is an actual quote.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

No sis, I'm not trying to make a stereotype joke (though it probably seems that way, but no), it's from a personal experience. My mom threatened to disown me if I didn't get 95+ in all subjects in my 12th grade finals. "You're from a respectable family. This kind of marks are expected from you. Even mentally retarded people get 90%. Stop wasting our money and get out of the house if you can't at least get a 95%." (sic)- My Dear Mother. And a lot of people in my country face a similar situation everyday. It's not a stereotype.

My condolences for going through that... but while the pressure to do well is certainly real in many countries, like Japan, it's not true that Asians in general have standards that high. And even in Japan, people who don't do 90s are still incredibly common. There are people who barely pass all the time. Not every family is as strict about it.
It is a stereotype to just automatically assume a character who isn't satisfied with her incredible scores is being pressured by her family. Maybe Koguma is just a perfectionist in her studies.

Wait. Did the author really say that? I thought you made stuff up. The joke would make sense if that is an actual quote.

Stop it Johnny! The joke is already dead. Why do you have to keep shooting it with your ignorance? Think of the children!

last edited at May 21, 2019 2:25AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

johnb posted:

Um no.

The author made a joke about ending the series too soon because Hino gave up too soon... That's all. And no, the author didn't say that because it was implied, how come it only makes sense to you only if it was a real quote? does it mean that you actually understand the joke .-.) ?

Well.... is not really important.

joined Sep 1, 2017

It was time for Thomas to leave. He had seen everything.

That picture is creep incarnate.

Um no.

You worry me Jonathan.

(tired sigh). It's just John. I would accept Ice patch, or speed-rock However Jonathan, is just too stuffy. Like I should wear polo shirts, and take tea out on the veranda. plus, like that old song by The Ting Tings That's not my name.

Wow

last edited at May 21, 2019 2:39AM

joined Sep 1, 2017

johnb posted:

Um no.

The author made a joke about ending the series too soon because Hino gave up too soon... That's all. And no, the author didn't say that because it was implied, how come it only makes sense to you only if it was a real quote? does it mean that you actually understand the joke .-.) ?

Because if it's not a real quote, then you are really reading a lot into a single word. For all you know, the author called it the end, because they are a big fan of The Doors.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

johnb posted:

johnb posted:

Um no.

Because if it's not a real quote, then you are really reading a lot into a single word. For all you know, the author called it the end, because they are a big fan of The Doors.

Alright then

NuclearStudent
joined Dec 13, 2018

What in the goddamn is this comments section arguing about when we could be taking pictures of spiderman

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^
It’s “Spider-Man.”

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

^^Never forget the hyphen between Spider and man, Willy.

last edited at May 21, 2019 7:46AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^^^
Nor the capitalized “Man.”

Scarlet%20felini
joined Mar 28, 2012

this comment section was a mistake.

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

I never thought one of the biggest cliff hangers in my life would be whether some one gets to suck on some ones boobs. What a time to be alive

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

this comment section was a mistake.

No self-respecting comments section doesn't have at least one person who thinks so.

EDIT:
Did I phrase that correctly?

last edited at May 21, 2019 3:09PM

joined Sep 1, 2017

My condolences for going through that... but while the pressure to do well is certainly real in many countries, like Japan, it's not true that Asians in general have standards that high. And even in Japan, people who don't do 90s are still incredibly common. There are people who barely pass all the time. Not every family is as strict about it.
It is a stereotype to just automatically assume a character who isn't satisfied with her incredible scores is being pressured by her family. Maybe Koguma is just a perfectionist in her studies.

Stop it Johnny! The joke is already dead. Why do you have to keep shooting it with your ignorance? Think of the children!

Edit: I humblely give up. I'm being a jerk. I'm letting the idea of people thinking I'm an idiot trigger me. The thing is, in this instance I am acting like a idiot. I've deleted the end of the argument to get rid of name calling, and accusations. (Bow)I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

last edited at May 22, 2019 11:46AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

There is NO JOKE. I think the title is just a reference to the looming doom of the final. If the author wanted to make a joke, like that they would have named the chapter something like Hino's stupidity ends the series. An obvious joke, but still not very funny.

facepalms
Jojo... Listen here pal.
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hino_san_no_baka_ch33#2
This page has a deadpan Hino saying she won't pass with Koguma reacting shocked. It has both the text "Hino-san no Baka * End" and "Please look forward to Kinniku Tarou's next series~" written on it, just like the final page of the final chapter of a manga would.

It's fine that you didn't get the joke and are embarrassed now, but please stop hurting yourself trying to justify it. Whether the joke was in the title, or in the middle of the chapter, it's exactly the same. It was 4th wall breaking humor poking fun at the fact that the series could end right there, because Hino has no drive to pass. It was a good joke.

Now be a dear and don't disappoint us any more.

I'm starting to suffer from withdrawal. How am I supposed to go on living, knowing that there won't be two or three new chapters waiting for me at the end of each day? My life feels empty and pointless now.

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

It doesn't need to be a quote from the author because it's pretty obvious what the joke is.

1. Hino and Koguma have discussed previously that being held back would result in less consistent visits from Koguma as she would not know when Hino is cutting classes, thereby establishing that being held back is a bad end for the manga and their relationship.
  2. Koguma says that tests are coming soon, and that HIno would need to pass all the subjects or she'll be held back.
  3. Hino says "Sure, when hell freezes over" thereby implying that it's impossible to do so, fating herself to being held back.
  4. The series reaches its bad end, hence the message saying that the manga is over, and to look forward to the next author's work, a fairly common message at the end of various serialized manga.
  5. Koguma tsukkomis with a "Wait a second!" because it's obviously a silly way to end the manga and just a joke.

last edited at May 22, 2019 1:08AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

@Minalinsky
Thank you for setting his head straight. I can't understate what an amazing accomplishment that is, considering his usual stubborness and inability to change his mind despite all evidence.

@johnb
You acted like a total dullard and ignored any and all chances to rethink your stance. I gave you dozens of outs and yet you insisted on being wrong... Patience doesn't grow on trees lol
For all it's worth I tried to keep it light-hearted instead of resorting to cutting myself this time. So I see this as an absolute win!

To reply you must either login or sign up.