Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

Ranzo posted:

This last name first name stuff is always reeeally annoying

It seems to be far more common in Japan than western nations to refer to people by their last name. Here it's typically reserved for teachers or coworkers above you in the foodchain or, if you work in customer service, for customers you need to refer to by name. In Japan though it seems to be quite common to refer to anyone you're not particularly close with by last name.

Yeah, I get it but it is so damn overplayed at this point that it just comes off as being real cheap. I figured this author would use a bit better way of convening drama than something so token as that.

Img-thing
joined Jan 19, 2016

Call me crazy, but I'm kinda feeling Iro/Izumi.

after reading chapter 13 i ship them so hard

Dankest akari
Srztiub
joined Nov 5, 2017

True, Kurokawa has always had a deeply ingrained inferior complex, as seen in the first few chapters. I’m glad the author brought it up since that type of thing is not so easily resolved.

Also it’s not drama over JUST the surname, it’s the authors way of showing kurokawas problem.

TheLostLight
Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

It seems to be far more common in Japan than western nations to refer to people by their last name. Here it's typically reserved for teachers or coworkers above you in the foodchain or, if you work in customer service, for customers you need to refer to by name. In Japan though it seems to be quite common to refer to anyone you're not particularly close with by last name.

Yeah, I get it but it is so damn overplayed at this point that it just comes off as being real cheap. I figured this author would use a bit better way of convening drama than something so token as that.

True, Kurokawa has always had a deeply ingrained inferior complex, as seen in the first few chapters. I’m glad the author brought it up since that type of thing is not so easily resolved.

Also it’s not drama over JUST the surname, it’s the authors way of showing kurokawas problem.

Exactly, Fujishiro got a little pouty for like, four pages, and then they instantly made up after a few words. That's hardly heavy handed drama. The real point of the whole name calling squabble was to reveal Kurokawa's emotional perception of her relationships with her classmates.

Rsz_file_000
joined May 20, 2019

Seems like these comments are split between people who are good thinkers and people who don't think at all. I don't think some of y'all realize that people don't change overnight. God forbid the author take time to develop the characters. Y'all know the manga isn't over yet, right? I mean, we're less than 15 chapters in. Have some patience.

As for Kurokawa, I'm loving her progress so far. She's clearly been a social outcast ever since she came to this school, and she was picked on constantly by the gyarus. Making one friend isn't going to clear away years of a built-up inferiority complex in a matter of days. However, the fact that she's been showing signs of opening up to Fujishiro, mainly wanting her to be the only person who calls her by her surname, is a welcome step in the right direction.

Also, I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Iro-chan is an audience surrogate, right?

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

Yes little mascot. This is practically a picture definition of melodrama.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

New friend group now featuring Izumi? How did I not realize I wanted that until it happened?

Kurokawa again figuring something is up Pretty quickly even if her way of fixing it is still off somewhat.

Gonna have to agree with those saying her issue from the beginning still hasn't been resolved.

last edited at Jun 6, 2019 4:03AM

joined Oct 10, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/useless_princesses_ch13#26

So do this, ffs! Be with Izumi, let Iro be with Nanaki, you can still idolize Nanaki and everyone will be finally happy! Ugh!

I swear to God these girls are so f*cking brainless and afraid of loneliness.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Remember, folks, I said this:

Also, the weather forecast says there will be triggering Loralei comments in the Useless Princesses forum, though they aren't sure if they're trolling or genuine.

And then, wouldn'cha know:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/useless_princesses_ch13#26

So do this, ffs! Be with Izumi, let Iro be with Nanaki, you can still idolize Nanaki and everyone will be finally happy! Ugh!

I swear to God these girls are so f*cking brainless and afraid of loneliness.

Is there any point to this comment other than to antagonize another member of the forums, BV. That's definitely not a good look.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ I swear, when I saw in the page showing all the most recent forums, and saw you commented here, I knew it will have something to do with that comment of mine. But, instead of just replying to it and implicitly issuing a warning, I expected more, like a deleted comment and/or a week-long ban. This makes me glad and disappointed at the same time, which I previously thought was an impossible combination. But no problem, I can always delete the comment myself, as will do right after this comment is posted.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

This chapter was adorable until the "we're not equal" + Izumi is hot

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Ya know, if you call each other by your surnames you are still equal... just on a more formal level.

Well Iro wasn't kidding about being a full blown Otaku, she singlehandedly changed the entire mood of the series. In a good way mind you lol
Shipping real people is a forbidden art however, so contain your power young Iro!

joined Jul 26, 2016

F*** this garbage, I'M DONE, drama over a surname/first name? I AM OUT...

Even an ignoramus like me, whose main exposure to Japanese cultural norms has been what in agrarian societies is also known as weebshit, is aware that how exactly people address each other is Kind Of A Big Deal over there and something of a thermometer as to their degree of intimacy/relative standing among other things. The matter comes up again and again in mango and teh chinese cartoons, particularly ones centered on relationships between people. (Which as an aside is why I invariably frown on translators/scanlators dropping honorifics "because muh localisation"; those carry quite meaningful social nuances and it's not all that unusual to see teams who do that scrambling for some kind of vaguely sensible alternative formulation should those suddenly become important in some fashion.)

And of course here we're talking about two confused teenagers trying to work out the nature of their very emotionally charged relationship (spoiler: it's gay af) while one of them wrestles with near lifelong colossal self-image issues and the other has a bit of a temperament...

Shipping real people is a forbidden art however, so contain your power young Iro!

Verily, 'tis a perilous forbidden technique. Madness and ruin await those who pursue it!

...also inb4 IroxIzumi becomes the official side couple >_>

last edited at Jun 6, 2019 2:18PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Verily, 'tis a perilous forbidden technique. Madness and ruin await those who pursue it!

Thx for explaining the joke. I can always count on ya.

Why not? Iro said she likes the princely types and Izumi's one-sided feelings sure aren't going anywhere productive right now.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Even an ignoramus like me, whose main exposure to Japanese cultural norms has been what in agrarian societies is also known as weebshit, is aware that how exactly people address each other is Kind Of A Big Deal over there and something of a thermometer as to their degree of intimacy/relative standing among other things. The matter comes up again and again in mango and teh chinese cartoons, particularly ones centered on relationships between people. (Which as an aside is why I invariably frown on translators/scanlators dropping honorifics "because muh localisation"; those carry quite meaningful social nuances and it's not all that unusual to see teams who do that scrambling for some kind of vaguely sensible alternative formulation should those suddenly become important in some fashion.)

And of course here we're talking about two confused teenagers trying to work out the nature of their very emotionally charged relationship (spoiler: it's gay af) while one of them wrestles with near lifelong colossal self-image issues and the other has a bit of a temperament...

First: I see you used several misnames on purpose to mock the elders for using them, which is praiseworthy.
Second: I thank you and others for educating me and others on the whole surname usage thingy in Japanese culture.
Third: About the dangerous forbidden techniques (DFTs) that BugDevil and you mentioned... Could using them be the answer to stopping Talinight? I mean, if the multiverse theory is correct, then the universe of AFOC (in which Talinight is) exists, and since he can travel between universes, he may come for us eventually, so maybe these DFTs could be helpful?

SlowburnPhoenix
E3b0ae88-e397-4841-ada6-f0d793de4c21
joined Nov 25, 2018

Should probably leave then.
If you don’t grasp what the actual issue is with the characters then you shouldn’t stick around.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Third: About the dangerous forbidden techniques (DFTs) that BugDevil and you mentioned... Could using them be the answer to stopping Talinight? I mean, if the multiverse theory is correct, then the universe of AFOC (in which Talinight is) exists, and since he can travel between universes, he may come for us eventually, so maybe these DFTs could be helpful?

Rest assured I have not the slightest idea of what you're talking about.

joined Apr 23, 2015

Ranzo posted:

Hmm. It didn't bother me here but I suppose for you it would be like turning on an American sitcom and seeing a husband and wife arguing because
Man: I r like sports
Woman I r like rewatching our wedding video.

joined Apr 23, 2015

God, this manga doesn't have a single likeable character.
Edit: also they should remove the glasses tag, this manga doesn't deserve it.

Fair enough. I say the same about most of the yuri I read. The likable thing not the glasses thing. I happen to like these characters but to each their own and all that.

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

I can't help but roll my eyes at the pointless melodrama in this series... why am I still reading it. Kind of because it reminds me of Girlfriends but it's not nearly as good. Like I'm not even sure if it's yuri at all.

Like what is with her saying "We're not equal?" its so stupid.

This development has been pretty blatantly foreshadowed from the outset. Kurokawa has always put Fujishiro on a pedestal as a "princess" and viewed her as better than and apart from her it's completely unsurprising that she'd view herself as undeserving of being close to her. It's hardly like the author pulled this issue out of their ass for the sake of drama.

Exactly. Character development so far has rock-solid coherence. One wonders if the people complaining have actually read the previous chapters.

Kind of reminds me of that discussion about Game of Thrones, in which people stated that foreshadowing was not equal to meaningful character development. Probably applies here as well.

last edited at Jun 7, 2019 10:16AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Kind of reminds me of that discussion about Game of Thrones, in which people stated that foreshadowing was not equal to meaningful character development. Probably applies here as well.

Not really, seeing how it's been blatantly spelled out again and again instead of just foreshadowed here, and we're really only in the early to middle stages of character development, not at the end, which is exactly why she's still behaving a lot like she used to before, even if she's started to improve in some ways.

2e8f5acd0b52ee9cb6e3f81a8d3377cf
joined Dec 9, 2018

Drama...

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Mmmm gimme more of this side pair

joined Dec 30, 2018

I think I actually like side characrers here

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Damn, that is a bit depressing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.