Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

MagiMaki posted:

School yuri romance has few drama options anyway.

-Death of an important person
- Parents / friends that are against yuri for some reason
- Love Rival
- "I have stuff to do, let's see each other in 5 years "

You have really poor imagination if that is all you can think of. Sadly most authors are just like you.

For some reason, this sounds (at least in my head) like a half-hearted attempt at a roast.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

We still don't know if she will try and break them up though, or how much of a drama she will cause. I mean even the Igarashi part which was heavier was handled good.
It's normal to show that other people were interested in them in the past, it's exploring Nanoha's past more.

joined Jul 26, 2016

If nothing else there's an interesting contrast between Igarashi and Mai. The former backs the Hell off the second she gets a definite confirmation Chidori's "spoken for" nowadays, the latter grabs onto the ephemeral chance of having a shot at Nanoha once she learns of their relationship.

Granted they're also coming into the situation from what are well-nigh the polar opposite circumstances aside from their prior acquaintance with their respective persons of interests...

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

MagiMaki posted:

- Love Rival

You have really poor imagination if that is all you can think of. Sadly most authors are just like you.

For some reason, this sounds (at least in my head) like a half-hearted attempt at a roast.

It's an accurate assessment. That list is hella unimaginative.

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

What's going to bug me the most about this is Mai taking advantage of (if not predating upon) Nanoha's kindness, and the fact that it's probably going to have a big negative impact on Nanoha when this all blows up.
I realize manipulators are a pretty common trope for a series, but they just always pinch a nerve for me especially.

The thing about Mai's behavior is that, while she certainly is being manipulative, there's no sign that she's being dishonest. Her breakdown in front of Nanoha in chapter 60 wasn't just a performance; she genuinely feels adrift and alone. Also, her manipulation so far has been pretty harmless. She wants to spend more time with Nanoha, so she pulls on Nanoha's emotions in a way that will make her spend more time with her. But if she had just come out and said that she needed her to be there for her, Nanoha would've said yes.

she says very clearly she wants nanoha as her gf, what she is doing is pure manipulation. you see that smirk after nanoha hugs her. i don't think her talking about her not having friends was genuine in the least. not to say her having no friends isn't true, but she was definitely using it to get nanoha. she knows how caring nanoha is and played her like a harpstring. adn it's not harmless, she's actively trying to steal nanoha away. she SAW them kissing, she KNOWS they are obviously together. how is that not harmless?

That's not a smirk, that's a smile. She's smiling because she's happy that she's being comforted. That is a normal human response. Nothing in the art or dialogue suggests she's being false or deceptive, and the paneling on pages 151-153 in particular suggests genuine emotion. On 152, the author conveys Mai's feeling of emptiness through the art. On page 153, Mai tries to dismiss what she said because she's embarrassed for accidentally sharing too much, and she's surprised to see how strongly Nanoha has reacted. Not exactly the reactions of someone who planned it all out to guilt-trip her. I guess you could read the chapter and interpret things your way, but I believe you're ignoring strong textual and artistic cues in order to project your reading onto the chapter.

I said her manipulation is harmless because she hasn't actually done anything to negatively impact Nanoha's relationship with Chidori. Her motive (steal Nanoha away) might be wicked, but I'd say it's better to judge someone by their actions. Has she tried to turn Nanoha away from Chidori? No. Has she interfered in their relationship in any way? No. All she's done is reestablished ties with an old friend. A result of that is that Nanoha has spent a little less time with Chidori, but that's just how life works. We each have limited time and have to decide how to allocate that.

no that's a smirk. it's a fairly common image to portray a smug feeling like that, where they just show the mouth, no eyes. and her being embarrassed for "accidentally sharing too much" is pretty commonly used as well. it's to make themselves look even more pathetic. and obviously she will try something or the author wouldn't have put her in with this set up at all ;) of course you can say don't judge people by what they haven't done, but this is a book, not real people, and authors often follow fairly predictable patterns.

Ava%20baby
joined May 5, 2013

Let's see what will happen from now on. I don't like the "secret lover from the past appear" trope but let's give it a chance.
IMO, it would have been more interesting if it was one of their friends who find out.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

no that's a smirk. it's a fairly common image to portray a smug feeling like that, where they just show the mouth, no eyes. and her being embarrassed for "accidentally sharing too much" is pretty commonly used as well. it's to make themselves look even more pathetic. and obviously she will try something or the author wouldn't have put her in with this set up at all ;) of course you can say don't judge people by what they haven't done, but this is a book, not real people, and authors often follow fairly predictable patterns.

Well, we'll who's right soon enough spoiler: it's going to be me.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

MagiMaki posted:

- Love Rival

Well, these are the go to cliche drama options. You will see all of them over and over- same for het romance too..
There are ofcourse hundreds of other possibilities- but to come up with something more unique / creative takes a lot more effort.

Thats one of the reasons I dont like love rival- its just one of the 5 obvious go to's for 'we need some drama'. Even if its done in a good way.

last edited at Dec 2, 2019 1:13PM

joined Nov 30, 2011

There are plenty of ways to introduce drama in a relationship and I agree, it is very rare to see romance stories that actually focus on them being a couple for longer than an epilogue and the worst, the first kiss in the last panel.

The best drama is having things your characters disagree on various topics/subjects; make one more dominant than the other in arguments/disagreements, where they win most and also choose for where they go for fun; have one be more open with their emotions and feelings with their S.O. and have the other be more closed in with theirs; have one get angry more openly while the other stays calm and deals with their anger differenlty; or better yet, have one that has a lot of self doubt and the other is very confident but hides their insecurities and see how they clash; and the best one, family interference that is not trying to set them up with a partner but more a negative influence on one while the other provides support where the family's minds are not changed but at least challenged.

There is a helluva lot of personal drama that comes up in relationships than a romantic rival. If they go through a rough patch have their closest friends urge them to break up with the other or the family do that but not some 3rd party.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

MacySan posted:

Why are people so upset about some potential drama? You can't always have just fluff.

A Room For Two: Am I a joke for you?

joined Oct 22, 2018

MacySan posted:

Why are people so upset about some potential drama? You can't always have just fluff.

OK! THERE'S NO WAY I'M NOT GOING TO COPY THE TWO OF YOU!

EDIT:
Done!~

last edited at Dec 2, 2019 1:33PM

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Lmao what is that? ^ xD Is that a reference for something?

Anyway, I've read a room for two and I got bored from the first chapters and dropped it, so I can't say much :P ( don't come at me if you like it)

joined Oct 22, 2018

Lmao what is that? ^ xD Is that a reference for something?

That's just a meme.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

elevown posted:

MagiMaki posted:

- Love Rival

Well, these are the go to cliche drama options. You will see all of them over and over- same for het romance too..
There are ofcourse hundreds of other possibilities- but to come up with something more unique / creative takes a lot more effort.

Thats one of the reasons I dont like love rival- its just one of the 5 obvious go to's for 'we need some drama'. Even if its done in a good way.

My point exactly.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

*giggles* I just stumbled across this link . Do what you want with that ^_-

That aside, I'ld recommend not getting all explosive by the sudden appearance of a trope or what seems to be a cause for drama in this story:
Inoue-san turned out rather anti-climatic (thus far), although it was seemingly planned for meticulously since the very start of the series.
Now, this character appears out of nowhere...
This is may be a second attempt of the same; maybe Kovachi learned some and now knows better where to go with this - or not and this much less planned for occurance will lurk a little and then deflate as quickly as the former, with very little consequences.

I for my part am happy to see Chidori in heat. See Nanoha taking the lead and taking care of her troubled girlfriend. See them experience new facetts of emotions, now that their relationship-status evolved. I'm even glad to see their friends getting more panel-time (as it allows me to build on my theory that they already know and are just toying with the couple and their reactions - muahaha~).
And I am happy to know we have a busy translator-team that puts some effort into catching up wiith the releases - so we can enjoy these chapter-boost for as long as they last.

I am also happy to see, that even in manga-reality different hair-styles can either totally benefit someone or ...well, totally not benefit someone. Heck, I am even thankfull Kovachi doesn't shy away from showing characters having had different styles in their past, whereas other mangaka use hairstyle to replace character-design and pretend someone had the same style from birth to old-age, just so the audience would recognize them...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Why would she think she has a chance when Nanoha is dating someone else?

On the other hand, I can understand all too well how a lesbian would be thrilled to know someone she's interested in is also into girls.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The law of uselessness: Uselessness in yuri is always a constant. If uselessness in the main couple decreases, a new useless lesbian must be added to the cast.

Laws of Lesbiandynamics:

1) Conservation of Uselessness
2) Direction of angst transfer
3) No lesbian can reach absolute zero uselessness

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

The best drama is having things your characters disagree on various topics/subjects; make one more dominant than the other in arguments/disagreements, where they win most and also choose for where they go for fun; have one be more open with their emotions and feelings with their S.O. and have the other be more closed in with theirs; have one get angry more openly while the other stays calm and deals with their anger differenlty; or better yet, have one that has a lot of self doubt and the other is very confident but hides their insecurities and see how they clash; and the best one, family interference that is not trying to set them up with a partner but more a negative influence on one while the other provides support where the family's minds are not changed but at least challenged.

Admittedly, though, this series has already done most of what you listed.

There is a helluva lot of personal drama that comes up in relationships than a romantic rival. If they go through a rough patch have their closest friends urge them to break up with the other or the family do that but not some 3rd party.

One could argue that Mai could be considered one of their closest friends, although, admittedly, a former one trying to restore that closeness while also becoming a rival in the process. She does have a different reason than implied here, yes.

This kind of interference in the school may be what is necessary for them to finally come out to their friends (and family?), though. While Igarashi was the spark that led to Nanoha openly declaring herself to be Chidori's girlfriend, if only in front of her, and through that to Chidori finally being able to declare her love for Nanoha as well - and to kissing her in the process - bringing their relationship to this new level of actually kissing each other that got them caught by Mai, they're still trying to keep this a secret from everyone, successfully or not. But having someone close by pursuing one of them would be a reason to openly declare that they are no longer available and why.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

UGH I HATE THIS.

No orginal ideas for conflict in your yuri? Just add an annoying girl who will try to break up the main ship! Everyone will love it! It'll take a while, and then you can resolve it and everyone will be happy.

Why is this shit in 99.9% of high school yuri? Time to stop reading for 10 chapters, and catch up once this is over with.

Because this is what high school -is-? A bunch of horny kids figuring out how dating works, falling for the wrong people, falling for the right people but handling it bad, crushing on somebody that's taken and being heartbroken, crushing on somebody that's taken and going after them anyway...

It's common in fiction because it happens commonly.

If somebody was all "Man, why do all Yuri manga end with an elaborate showdown with an evil devil king who summons aliens to fight the alpha couple with paper footballs", I could see a valid argument being made that this is an unrealistic and contrived twist for a romance comic. But complaining about love triangles and angst is like complaining about blue skies in realistic landscape paintings.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nya-chan posted:

Why would she think she has a chance when Nanoha is dating someone else?

You kinda already answered yourself.

I can understand all too well how a lesbian would be thrilled to know someone she's interested in is also into girls.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

oH GOD, a love rival comes up, we're fucked.
We all know that when a love rival appears, the relationship ALWAYS breaks apart or starts going through a war.
Here we go boys, fasten your seatbelts, this is going to be tough.

. . . You haven't read very many series if you think a love rival ALWAYS breaks apart the relationship or sends them through a war.

In fact, I don't think you've read THIS SERIES, which had a love rival show up just like, one story arc ago, with no serious heavy fallout.

I said her manipulation is harmless because she hasn't actually done anything to negatively impact Nanoha's relationship with Chidori. Her motive (steal Nanoha away) might be wicked, but I'd say it's better to judge someone by their actions. Has she tried to turn Nanoha away from Chidori? No. Has she interfered in their relationship in any way? No. All she's done is reestablished ties with an old friend. A result of that is that Nanoha has spent a little less time with Chidori, but that's just how life works. We each have limited time and have to decide how to allocate that.

They show the mouth to focus on the gesture. Hiding the eyes often hides the intent, but it doesn't read that way here to me. Also, smirks and smiles are drawn differently. A smirk is when one corner of the mouth goes up. In manga this is typically drawn with the mouth as a straight line clearly tilted up on one side, or a line that is clearly upturned more on one side than the other. Here you have a pretty typical, centered, symmetrical "U" shape. That's a clearly drawn smile.

It even has the word "smile" as a sound effect, although I'd have to see the raws to know if that's accurate. At the very least that suggests that the translator doesn't suspect anything nefarious in that moment, or they would have written "smirk" instead.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

MacySan posted:

And thank god it's not A Room For Two. Probably the worst long running "yuri" series.

How to i erase another one comment ? Joke aside, i don't really understand why you call Futaribeya the "worst long running yuri serie" when it's a serie without any useless drama or any problems.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

MacySan posted:

And thank god it's not A Room For Two. Probably the worst long running "yuri" series.

How to i erase another one comment ? Joke aside, i don't really understand why you call Futaribeya the "worst long running yuri serie" when it's a serie without any useless drama or any problems.

Because it's a relationship between one girl who is in love, and another girl who pretends to be in love for free food. It's about as yuri as Railgun.

Anyway, this isn't the thread for this conversation, so I'll leave it there.

You know who are amazing?—people who can read minds.

You know what’s even more amazing? Reading the minds of people who don’t really exist.

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

igenetycs posted:
snip

MagiMaki posted:

- Love Rival

I just listed the most overused drama plot points I could think of in an instant. It's not "all" but the most boring ones that came to mind. This story used the same one twice now. Also you just proved my point. No need to get pissy. o/

joined Feb 23, 2016

Someone needs to draw fanart with this Nanoha as MGLN!Nanoha and Chidori as Fate.

you ask and you shall receive! (⁎⁍̴̆Ɛ⁍̴̆⁎) in approximately 3-4 days

Looking forward to it

Delays!! (´༎ຶོρ༎ຶོ`)-~
I hope i have it done before Friday! (☻-☻)
But I’m done with Nanoha and working on Chidori

last edited at Dec 2, 2019 7:09PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.