Forum › Shouraiteki ni Shindekure discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Seen a lot of negativity toward this series. Don't really get it. It's simple, dumb, fun, and it seems to regularly be criticized for doing exactly as advertised.

Everyone here is SOOOOO uptight, so get used to it.

It's true, I feel like people can't just enjoy dumb fun for what it is and feel the need to overanalyze the character's menality and motives as if the story is supposed to be taken seriously. If people are reading this expecting serious relationship advances in every chapter they have only themselves to blame for disappointment.

This just speculation on my part (I think this series is hilarious, and always look forward to reading it), but maybe it’s that much of the basic setup looks like a standard (although obviously comedic) schoolgirl yuri story, so people bring those expectations to discussing the characters and their actions.

But so many little things (and some big ones, like Nishikawa’s whole approach to seduction) about the characters are skewed enough that maybe readers aren’t so much looking for plot or relationship “development” in the usual sense as much as they are hoping for “normalization,” for the story to bring its characters back into line with the familiar tropes it looks like it should be using.

I’ve said that if this were in 4-koma format I think few people would even blink an eye at it. But the funny thing is that, while the basic dynamic between the two MCs remains similar, this isn’t the exact same joke over and over, and by its own standards there is considerable forward movement.

Nishikawa really does learn from their various encounters and from Komaki’s responses (although she can’t help reverting to her “let’s go to a hotel” or “let’s just get lewd” gambits in a pinch), and she’s made her way into Komaki’s family and is actually useful to them.

Personally, I find Nishikawa’s desperate attempts to deal with her overwhelming feelings quite touching as she attempts to bridge the vast distance between her own impulses and normal human behavior. She’s already closed that gap by several meters, and only has a few parsecs to go.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

This just speculation on my part (I think this series is hilarious, and always look forward to reading it), but maybe it’s that much of the basic setup looks like a standard (although obviously comedic) schoolgirl yuri story, so people bring those expectations to discussing the characters and their actions.

I agree. It looks/feel too much like a normal story with comedic moments, so people take it too seriously and expect some kind of plot/character progression, when it is obviously focused on comedy between 2 main characters (I love this series and laugh all the time too).

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

I actually really like this series, not sure why everyone else seems to hate it so much haha.

Bring in something even remotely novel and Dynasty will tear it apart. It wasn't like this 5 years ago...

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Or maybe different people have different tastes and this simply doesn't appeal to some readers?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

^This.

Both MCs are terrible in my opinion.

If there was character development, maybe it would be worth it, but I have a hunch it will eventually come out of nowhere, just before it ends.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Or maybe different people have different tastes and this simply doesn't appeal to some readers?

This amazing insight doesn't explain why people hang around the discussion board and complain about each new chapter as it comes out.

A lot of things don't appeal to me, so my solution is that I don't read them, and I don't even think about them.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

This amazing insight doesn't explain why people hang around the discussion board and complain about each new chapter as it comes out.

This is Dynasty. Complaining about stories and/or tags they dislike is probably more than 70% of what users do here.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Blastaar posted:

A lot of things don't appeal to me, so my solution is that I don't read them, and I don't even think about them.

Because most manga don't use the first volume for character/story development, is mostly to introduce the plot so a lot of people will stay to see where the story goes, and then the second volume comes introducing new characters and some kind of direction... And then further ahead we get different perspectives and stuff like that, but in this case the premise of the first chapters seemed to be everything there is to it, so I understand why many people would stay and feel disappointed, because they expected more but got more of the same.

And there's people who didn't like the first chapters but thought "maybe it gets better later" ... so yeah. And look, I was about to drop it too because I don't really like stories where you can read the first chapters and then jump to the chapter 30 without missing anything important.

last edited at Jul 22, 2018 2:24PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is Dynasty. Complaining about stories and/or tags they dislike is probably more than 70% of what users do here.

Ah, well then. Far be it from me to criticize other people’s hobbies—we all must take our pleasures where we find them.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

All of the things above, plus there's a wide range from "I don't really like this all that much right now" to "I hate this so badly I'd literally rather die than read it". It's like 5 minutes wasted per chapter if it doesn't work.

And, I mean, I get it can be annoying if people keep nagging and you just want to enjoy something, but at the same time discussion threads that are an endless collection of "ha ha this is so great" "wooa awesome" "I totally ship them!" and bla are frankly equally pointless. At least here are opinions divided and there's a little bit to discuss ^^;

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Well, someone asked specifically “why are people so down on this series?” and I was just speculating about why. I know very well, as any conscious person does, that people have different tastes, and everyone’s free to like what they like.

But it has puzzled me a bit that there has been a steady drumbeat of complaints that “there’s no development!” and then when someone discusses why in this particular kind of series there probably won’t be exactly that kind of development, the reply seems to be “but there’s no development!”

And yeah, threads consisting entirely of “so cute!” and “dumping this!” and “the art sucks,” etc. do get pretty tedious.

last edited at Jul 22, 2018 3:17PM

joined May 24, 2014

Uhm, why did she called komaki's little brother mistress?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Uhm, why did she called komaki's little brother mistress?

Because her brain contains only yuri tropes taken to an extreme and beyond. She converts every experience into the nearest relevant scene from manga or anime, in this case lesbian BDSM.

Her desperate attempt to create the conditions by which Komaki would sweat through her clothes, thereby making her underwear visible, is a case in point.

It would be interesting to peruse Nishikawa’s home library . . .

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I like Hishikawa's and Shinsuke's pervert friendship, it's great

joined Nov 2, 2017

Lol, I freaking love this manga. Like the girl is so straightforward yet genuine I actually like her, not so sure about the first chapter where she was pretty much assaulting her crush but otherwise, she's pretty cool/ just really extra and funny. Lol but the fact that her crush is just as straightforward while being a normal human being is great. Her friend is pretty awesome too for dealing with her and the brother is hilarious as well. Everything is just so good.

But I do agree with those who hope that their characters develop and maybe she doesn't need to make everything about money but still keep things light-hearted :) anyways freaking love the creator. Good job, this is probably one of my favorite yuri manga and it makes my day :)

I actually really hope to see maybe the main girl not be so extra (though it may just be in her nature) but actually be genuinely flustered for like a whole few chapters. That moment would be the day her character develops. God this manga is so good though and I genuinely hope they can get together someday and thus my rant ends.

last edited at Jul 22, 2018 11:46PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

That's one part of the family whose acceptance she won't have to worry about, that's for sure...
May we take a moment to appreciate how merrily Brosuke is trying to get his neesan hitched with another girl? o3ob

Capture%20_2018-03-05-21-59-51~2_resized
joined Apr 28, 2016

The more interesting part of Shun addressing Shinsuke as "mistress" is that he goes along with it without hesitation.

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

without Raws I can’t check like the boorus but wondering how literal or leeway was given to the translation

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

That's one part of the family whose acceptance she won't have to worry about, that's for sure...
May we take a moment to appreciate how merrily Brosuke is trying to get his neesan hitched with another girl? o3ob

i think he's possibly the best character out of the whole thing lol

The more interesting part of Shun addressing Shinsuke as "mistress" is that he goes along with it without hesitation.

last edited at Jul 23, 2018 2:06PM

Saho1b
joined Oct 9, 2017

xxcindybeexx posted:

i think he's possibly the best character out of the whole thing lol

They even coordinate to pull off a stage slap: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/shouraiteki_ni_shindekure_ch12#6

I love these two dorks.

last edited at Jul 27, 2018 1:06AM

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

^This.

Both MCs are terrible in my opinion.

If there was character development, maybe it would be worth it, but I have a hunch it will eventually come out of nowhere, just before it ends.

There's already been character development, Hashikawa especially has developed quite a bit. I don't know what you're on about.

Shine,%20aru
joined Feb 15, 2016

I don't think this is the case with most people's negative opinions on it that I've seen. After all, if it was just different opinion and taste, you'd drop it. Don't get me wrong because I will and have read things I don't like even though I don't like them, but I don't read things that aren't to my taste. I read things that are BAD and then vent about how BAD they are. The negativity around this series seems to focus on "how it's bad" while actually being "I don't like that it's a gag manga". Which is a bit inane, honestly.

It would be like reading Oyasumi Punpun and then complaining about it being overly serious, or Saiki Kusuo no Sai-nan and complaining about how it has so many jokes. You're just complaining about what it's doing. If it's not to your taste the better thing isn't to say it's bad for that, but to say "well, this is clearly not for me". I dunno, does my reasoning make sense? I see so much more "it's horrible" and "there's no progress" than "It's a gag manga, I don't like those". The lattermost response would be fair, and even criticism toward this would be fair (here's some: too many repetitive jokes, though it has a decent amount of variety). I don't really see that for this series here. Kiiiiinda suspect it's due to the series being surprisingly popular (in Japan, at least) for a yuri manga.

Nep%20u
joined Mar 15, 2017

Hey it's back

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

It lives! And these chapters were pretty cute, too.

To reply you must either login or sign up.