Forum › Someday, We’ll Get There discussion

This
joined Jan 17, 2017

Moe

joined Apr 25, 2013

It just occurred to me this is basically /v/ misclicking on /u/ in manga form

Img_8611
joined Sep 8, 2016

I know ZTT is supposed to be the antagonist, but she's honestly the most knowledgable one here. Fighting games are hard to get into, especially if taught like that. XD

joined Aug 10, 2016

Ok, can all three just play games and have fun together? I really don't want a love triangle situation :P

its impossible for someone to play video games and have fun

Best Mangaka Rohan
25dfc3e30a88f17394a8d2037430b766
joined Dec 13, 2016

I agree. There is nothing fun about fighting games. Open World RPGs are the bezt.

Tsw118
joined Feb 27, 2015

Fun in fighting games? In competitive fighting games? In competitive anything? It's in competition/opponent and theorycrafting, not in actually playing. On such a level, I can't really call it "playing games" anymore.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

LexXxich posted:

Fun in fighting games? In competitive fighting games? In competitive anything? It's in competition/opponent and theorycrafting, not in actually playing. On such a level, I can't really call it "playing games" anymore.

I don't really get it because I'm not remotely competitive myself but a lot of people find competing against others to be fun. Same way some people find completely ridiculous difficulty to be fun.

Psyduck
joined Jun 17, 2015

@LexXxich

You actually have to compete for yourself to see the fun. The matches are thrilling when you're personally involved and Ofc winning is fun.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

LexXxich posted:

I don't really get it because I'm not remotely competitive myself but a lot of people find competing against others to be fun. Same way some people find completely ridiculous difficulty to be fun.

Yeah. I haven't been able to explain this too well but I dont consider myself a competitive person either. The thing is, with fighting games you have all these rules and mechanics and its like you need a challenge. Something to force you to actually use them. And the best possible opponent is another person cause they can actually react and adapt. Or they can become random. The computer can't really compare.

So to me its like this awesome puzzle that i want to solve. Each person can use the same character differently. Its fun the try and learn their prefferenes in real time and come up with counters to their moves. Even their behavior. And losing just means you get to learn. Especially since most fighting games have replay features.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Asking the real questions here. Why is fighting games fun?? Also, why is there a yuri tag when there's no subtext tag? Where am and what year is this?

To me fighting games are fun due to the competitive aspect. And unlike team games like CS, Overwatch or MOBAs your success or failure is all on you.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Lots of people in physical sports love the game they play. There are competitive Starcraft Brood War players who still adore the game. Same for M:tG. Same for all kinds of things.

Being competitive is the actual draw for a lot of folks, and dedication to mastering something can be a reward unto itself. For some folks it kills the fun and turns it from a game into a job, but for a lot it doesn't. Or at the very least it turns into an enjoyable job.

Now obviously this is a story that takes place in manga-land, and I'm sure we can all think of competitive series where the characters are driven to tears from hard training or heartbreaking losses and they still retain a love for whatever game it is. So considering this story, that's what you're dealing with, rather than a real-world player for whom the bloom has gone off the rose.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

It'd be fun if our moe-heroine developed into a cynical neet who complains about the latest patch mucking up the move set of her favorite character or something, with her new best friend being all "what have I done?!" ... well, it'd be kind of like Gabriel Dropout, so maybe one of those is enough ^^;

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

I think it's going in the direction of having fun - I certainly hope so. I admire the dedication of blonde obsessive - she kind of reminds me of Yazawa Nico - but maybe the heroine is better off with the more laid-back girl. It seems pretty love triangle-ish already.

joined Apr 27, 2015

To some people winning and self-improvement is really fun. The concious feeling of milestones and realizing you've gotten better is a great thing. I feel like people are taking this as some strawman to represent why they don't like heavily competitive people.

That being said, I love fighting games and am super competitive but ztt is definitely in the right here and I'd honestlly prefer if she won. Skipping over the entire" learn it on your own and have fun just doing your own thing" is a really bad idea for anything really.

Also, even though it's manga land, i feel like there's tons of real people who take those heartbreaking losses and use it to eant to improve. No way i be successful without failure and all that.

In the end people have fun in different ways, so don't downplay or treat it as any inferior

last edited at Jul 13, 2017 11:35PM

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Funny enough all of the best fight game players use mid or low tier characters.

Depends on the game, actually.

You can get away with using a lower tier character in Tekken or GG because the game is balanced enough that character differences can be mitigated by player skill.

In something like Marvel vs Capcom, using anything else except the top tier shells results in a one-sided match for the low-tiered side because the game is not balanced enough.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Funny enough all of the best fight game players use mid or low tier characters.

Depends on the game, actually.

You can get away with using a lower tier character in Tekken or GG because the game is balanced enough that character differences can be mitigated by player skill.

In something like Marvel vs Capcom, using anything else except the top tier shells results in a one-sided match for the low-tiered side because the game is not balanced enough.

This, though it's no coincidence that majority of major tournaments in games are won with high-mid, high or top tier characters.

The lowest tier win I've seen was when Xian won EVO 2013 with Gen in SSF4AE 2012. Gen being a low-mid/high-low tiered character. That was the most hype thing ever.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

The lowest tier win I've seen was when Xian won EVO 2013 with Gen in SSF4AE 2012. Gen being a low-mid/high-low tiered character. That was the most hype thing ever.

Don't forget Kuroda of Third Strike fame.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Don't forget Kuroda of Third Strike fame.

Ah true :P

I've only seen clips from him though. Like when he basically says "FU" to Justin Wong by taunting an extra time with Q :p

Animeyuridanshismall
joined Apr 25, 2014

If anything, Street Fighter 5(which I really like) is disliked by a number of pros because it is said to be so stripped down, slow and basic and not fun as a result. A number of pros want it to be more complicated. Which I think goes to the argument that competitive games are fun cause I find myself wondering if Gamerbee only cared about winning would he insist the game be harder?

its not that they want the game to be harder, they want the game to be deeper. with how simplified SFV is compared to previous entries, there isnt really much room for creativeness. every character is already figured out and you cant put yourself in your gameplan. in previous entries, you could recognize players by how they played their character but in SFV everyone plays the same.

36065563-min
joined Jul 11, 2017

It's interesting how they made a sports not really yuri manga about fighting games, though it's been interesting so far. Rhythm-san really caught my interest, I love rhythm games and I find myself relating to her. Mino FIGHTING!

last edited at Jul 14, 2017 7:07AM

joined May 10, 2015

Pretty good way to explain frame data and advantage but as Rhythm game chan said, still a bit early to be teaching that at least in any detail.
No way she was going to memorise every move and character.

Where's Aris when you need him?

Untitled172-1
joined Jan 4, 2017

Oh so that's the technical stuff behind Blazblue's rapid cancel and cancel. Only fighting game I really liked and wanted to learn was Blazblue so OTL. And yeah, Shijou is too much of a fanatic to be a good teacher, she needs to chill and think about it in the perspective of Mino who never played in an arcade before much less a fighting game.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

hahahahahhahaha man this manga cracks me up so much

the new girl is cool. Plays games cause theyre fun and doesn't cram stats and frame info down the MC's throat day 2 after she just "gets into" gaming. If she is even into it, seeing as she is essentially now forced into it with no choice

The girl grows vegetables... to have a free lunch.... so she can spend the money on more games...... priceless

I also like that this crazy psycho has the cliche image of being a mysterious beauty because how ridiculous is that hahahaha

also, love triangle???

MC get with ZZRRT she seems great. You can dance dance revolution down the wedding aisle and it will be magical

Lpt
joined Mar 15, 2017

Latest chapter explains to me why i am not a gamer, especially a fighting games gamer :)

Don't let this manga make you believe all gamers / playing games is like this. You're never gonna see people rambling about this BS with platformers, RPGs, FPS, action-adventure, puzzle games, etc. Heck not even in racing games. Being so technical & competitive is more of a fighting game obsession. I mean not even ryhthm game pros take themselves that seriously.

Go and play Mario Kart and no one's gonna be a bitch about who you should chose.

To reply you must either login or sign up.