Forum › Between Philia and Eros discussion

joined Dec 18, 2018

There's no other way to read this besides her beginning to let go of her old love and starting to develop feelings for Kurumi.

Tbh everything from Nika's side can be interpreted as her just getting really close to Kurumi as a friend. From the looks of it Nika doesn't really have many, if any, close female friends. Literally everything she's feeling can be explained by what you might feel towards a best friend.

Tbh that's the best part about this series, it can literally go in any direction currently. We might end up with Kurumi x Nika, or Kurumi x Kyou or just literally everyone being alone and brokenhearted.

Have to say that after this latest chapter I'm leaning even more towards a Kurumi x Kyou ending.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Have to say that after this latest chapter I'm leaning even more towards a Kurumi x Kyou ending.

What in the world ? You realise she pray for them to BREAK UP .She freaking pray for the oneshe love to get sad. If you really love someone, you shouldn't praying for them be sad. Look at how Kurumi's attitude on her own situation and how she said that if Nika choose Jun then she will be happy for her and now look at Kyouko who is wishing for them to break up and not trying to understand or even ask about Nika's side of the story. Kyouko is not worthy of Kurumi.

joined Dec 18, 2018

What in the world ? You realise she pray for them to BREAK UP .She freaking pray for the oneshe love to get sad. If you really love someone, you shouldn't praying for them be sad. Look at how Kurumi's attitude on her own situation and how she said that if Nika choose Jun then she will be happy for her and now look at Kyouko who is wishing for them to break up and not trying to understand or even ask about Nika's side of the story. Kyouko is not worthy of Kurumi.

You must never have had any complicated feelings towards a friend to be this judgemental.

Personally I'll never judge a person on their thoughts, rather by their actions. Also she's not really praying for Kurumi to be sad, from her perspective she's praying to spare her from sadness. Yeah, she has judged Nika harshly, but considering what she's seen of Nika, it's not exactly unjustified either.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

There's no other way to read this besides her beginning to let go of her old love and starting to develop feelings for Kurumi.

Tbh everything from Nika's side can be interpreted as her just getting really close to Kurumi as a friend. From the looks of it Nika doesn't really have many, if any, close female friends. Literally everything she's feeling can be explained by what you might feel towards a best friend.

Do you have a friend like that? Someone you say "I can't imagine being without you" and "I love you more than anything", just before you french kiss them, and yet you're still best buddies and not in love at all?

The author has seriously made an effort to show how strong Nika's feelings for Kurumi are (hence everything I pointed out), that's a lot more than you get in most yuri stories. Unless everything Nikaidou has said up to this point was a lie, I can't imagine her looking at Kurumi as just a friend.

But well, if that's how you wanna read the story, who am I to stop you.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Honestly, I get Kyouko's frustrations here. She's in a pretty emotionally exhausting position. It's not healthy for her to stay as the hopelessly in love best friend forever. It's not Kurumi's fault, but it's really fair to Kyouko, either.

Kyouko may seem cruel on the surface to pray for Kurumi and Nika to break up, but it's well intentioned, as she sees Nika as a manipulative seductress who is playing with Kurumi's feelings. If someone I cared about were in a relationship like that, I'd hope they find a way out of it too.

I personally am still hoping for a Kurumi and Nikaidou end. The details of Nika's love remain to be seen, but I think there's absolutely no question that Nika is in love with Kurumi, and the two of them could have a healthy relationship together once this is all put to rest (Cecile's post does a great job summing up all the evidence we have of Nika's feelings).

joined Dec 5, 2019

Gotta say, when I saw the new chapter I got anxious before clicking, thats's how much I like this series.

Now, for the chapter, the pain and suffering Kyou is enduring is tough, she never confessed because Kurumi never showed any interest in her while falling in love left and right for others, it kinda is a reverse Jun. She realizes her mistake and wants to correct it but she is too anxious to do it, that's really painful to see.

She wishes for their break up because she doesn't really know Nikaido aside from the bad girl she thinks she is and she thinks Nikaido is just messing with Kurumi, but then later when she sees the expression Kurumi made while thinking of her she instantly gets stab through the heart.

That is a lonely girl if I ever saw one, I hope things go well for her during the series.

joined Dec 18, 2018

Do you have a friend like that? Someone you say "I can't imagine being without you" and "I love you more than anything", just before you french kiss them, and yet you're still best buddies and not in love at all?

The author has seriously made an effort to show how strong Nika's feelings for Kurumi are (hence everything I pointed out), that's a lot more than you get in most yuri stories. Unless everything Nikaidou has said up to this point was a lie, I can't imagine her looking at Kurumi as just a friend.

But well, if that's how you wanna read the story, who am I to stop you.

Why are everyone here so unaccepting towards alternative points of view lol.

It's pretty clear from the title onwards that this story on purpose creates multiple interpretations. None of them are wrong until we get to the ending. Until we do, I would recommend getting off your high horse and entertaining the thought that your interpretation isn't the only one.

joined May 1, 2013

Okay, but like, don't you think at least ONCE some sort of discussion like "are you even into girls?" would happen? Why is this all focused on her feelings for her childhood friend when that's kinda not really the main issue to get to first?

I guess that IS the main issue for them. Which is nice, really, I like reading stories where people don't constantly question a bisexual character's orientation.

But she needs to establish that she's bi. And the AUTHOR needs to establish she's bi. As of now, it's like the various characters' genders aren't things that affect anything, and that's weird. As it is, I can't imagine Kurumi would really be saying, "Go to him because he's your childhood friend," and not "Go to him because you're probably actually straight."

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

Okay, but like, don't you think at least ONCE some sort of discussion like "are you even into girls?" would happen? Why is this all focused on her feelings for her childhood friend when that's kinda not really the main issue to get to first?

I guess that IS the main issue for them. Which is nice, really, I like reading stories where people don't constantly question a bisexual character's orientation.

But she needs to establish that she's bi. And the AUTHOR needs to establish she's bi. As of now, it's like the various characters' genders aren't things that affect anything, and that's weird. As it is, I can't imagine Kurumi would really be saying, "Go to him because he's your childhood friend," and not "Go to him because you're probably actually straight."

I'm really surprised you interpret it that way. I think there's an obvious implication that, if she thought she couldn't be attracted to women, we wouldn't have this story in the first place.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Why are everyone here so unaccepting towards alternative points of view lol.

It's pretty clear from the title onwards that this story on purpose creates multiple interpretations. None of them are wrong until we get to the ending. Until we do, I would recommend getting off your high horse and entertaining the thought that your interpretation isn't the only one.

I'm not saying you're wrong. Technically, anything can happen, in any story, because that's for the author to decide. And the fun of us being here is exactly debating the story and its characters, so there's nothing wrong with us disagreeing with each other.

But she needs to establish that she's bi. And the AUTHOR needs to establish she's bi. As of now, it's like the various characters' genders aren't things that affect anything, and that's weird.

Personally, if a girl was interested in a guy and then at some point she says she's interested in me, I would immediately assume she's bi (or pan). Maybe being bi myself has something to do with that, but I just don't feel that there's a need to explicitly debate what that person's sexual orientation is.

last edited at Jan 7, 2020 3:08PM

joined Dec 18, 2018

I'm not saying you're wrong. Technically, anything can happen, in any story, because that's for the author to decide. And the fun of us being here is exactly debating the story and its characters, so there's nothing wrong with us disagreeing with each other.

I do recommend being less snarky then if you want to make it seem like you accept differing opinions.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I do recommend being less snarky then if you want to make it seem like you accept differing opinions.

I don't feel cecile was snarky thought.

joined Dec 18, 2018

I don't feel cecile was snarky thought.

If "But well, if that's how you wanna read the story, who am I to stop you." isn't being snarky there is either cultural/linguistic misunderstanding here, or I'm a complete moron.

Tbh either is possible since we're talking about me here.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I interpret that as respecting your opinions.

Ye
joined Apr 1, 2018

I like how everyone's fighting in the comments and I'm just sittin here like,,, "Yo ponytail girl better get yo shiz together."

joined Dec 18, 2018

In context with rest of the reply it's hard to take it that way, but might be. Pointless to theorize til they respond themselves.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

karp posted:

But she needs to establish that she's bi. And the AUTHOR needs to establish she's bi.

1. That was first thing Kurumi asked Nika and she gave her honest answer, so as I said before, continuing to question her at this point would be kinda rude, don't you think?
  2. Whatever what Nika feels for Kurumi is friendship or love is kinda the entire premise of the series?

JJzo, I understand your reaction to that post, but the reason people here react so strongly about seeing that kind of relationships as "just friends" is exactly because so many times in stories lesbian representation was either denied by other people excusing it as just being "close friends" or authors themselves, writing what is basically a attraction and calling it "gals being pals" cough Hibike cough. People are simply tired of arguing over and over again, that the same cues and hints that in any story with girl and a guy would be immediately interpreted by majority of people as romance or attraction, without any issue or controversy, with 2 girls are always dismissed as just "close friends" and require some additional proof or confirmation.

We're simply starved for representation that mainstream media is just not giving us, so whenever something does pop up and then you have thousands of people trying to argue that it doesn't count, while enjoying their 1000th obligatory het romance story, it does feel pretty irritating (not to say homophobic).

last edited at Jan 7, 2020 3:38PM

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

That's how I meant it. You can read the story however you want, you don't have to agree with anything I'm saying.

joined Dec 18, 2018

That's how I meant it. You can read the story however you want, you don't have to agree with anything I'm saying.

Fair enough, my bad then.

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

The pacing of this manga is fantastic and I love the story but these cliffhangers... ghnnnnggg

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Kyouko's got some conviction! Hooray! Let's hope it actually lasts until she gets her chance.

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

I feel bad for the best friend, I honestly kinda hope Kyouko ends up with Kurumi but I doubt it. It'd just be nice if ONE yuri story where the friend loves the MC actually ends up with her instead of "lol just get over it bih" when the MC predictably ends up with her love interest who is usually less interesting than the BFF hahaha.

joined May 1, 2013

karp posted:

But she needs to establish that she's bi. And the AUTHOR needs to establish she's bi.

1. That was first thing Kurumi asked Nika and she gave her honest answer, so as I said before, continuing to question her at this point would be kinda rude, don't you think?
  2. Whatever what Nika feels for Kurumi is friendship or love is kinda the entire premise of the series?

The point isn't it doesn't count if Nika is bi; the point is that Nika's answer is vague and does not really address the question. "Oh huh, I mean I want to get to know you better so let's date?" If she'd said, "Yeah, I guess I don't mind dating girls, but I've never really met a girl I liked before" that'd be different (but that might be an issue of the translation, though).

It reads to me like this manga is addressing Nika's sexuality in a CODED way, by making the central conflict about this one particular guy rather than about whether or not she's actually into girls. It makes the whole thematic meaning confusing, because it's a huge difference if a bi girl is philia towards another girl she's trying to date, or if a straight girl is trying to turn the philia she's capable of into eros.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I feel bad for the best friend, I honestly kinda hope Kyouko ends up with Kurumi but I doubt it. It'd just be nice if ONE yuri story where the friend loves the MC actually ends up with her instead of "lol just get over it bih" when the MC predictably ends up with her love interest who is usually less interesting than the BFF hahaha.

Kyouko is a douche thought. At least Nikaidou love Kurumi sincerly and is willing to make it what is necessary unlike a bitchy someone who just want Kurumi to be sad so she can consol her and take advantage of the situation, because that's how it is. Kyouko just waiting to take advantage of Kurumi's sadness and that'sa nope for me. I repeat myself but you can't blame someone to not notice your feelings when you do absolutely nothing to make them notice and mostly you DON'T wish for the one you love to break up with the one they're couple with just because you think the person is bad and also because she've done what you couldn't bring yourself to do. Kurumi/Kyouko is the worst outcome possible for me.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

This is literally just Nice Guy™ bullshit but gay. "Oh woe is me she just keeps dating chads why doesn't she realize how wonderful I am as I passively exist in her orbit making no effort to actually court her"

To reply you must either login or sign up.