Forum › Our "Love" is Disgusting discussion

Dumshork
joined Mar 19, 2022

I'm almost sure the Venn diagram of people who dislike this story's main character and those who like Asumi-chan Is Interested In Lesbian Brothels isn't two separate circles, and that's fascinating.

last edited at Sep 24, 2024 8:24AM

23-n%20(1)
joined Dec 10, 2020

I wonder whats so important on the Yandere girls phone that it keeps getting focused on in some panels....

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

I wonder whats so important on the Yandere girls phone that it keeps getting focused on in some panels....

My prediction is she's constantly looking at her stalker pics of Remu. Would make for an easily drawn reveal whenever we get to see it.

%e3%83%80%e3%82%a4%e3%81%95%e3%82%93
joined Apr 5, 2023

I think that she's recording her or the things that she's saying so she can listen to later

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

I think that she's recording her or the things that she's saying so she can listen to later

Oh I like this one too! It'd make for a good reveal to hear her voice playing back through the phone.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I'm almost sure the Venn diagram of people who dislike this story's main character and those who like Asumi-chan Is Interested In Lesbian Brothels isn't two separate circles, and that's fascinating.

I don't get the connection between the two.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Both this MC and Asumi are obsessed with some lost childhood friend. Asumi has even passed up on what could be a rather nice relationship with Nanao, to continue burning money on a quixotic quest for Mai.

OTOH, Asumi is cuter. And seems happier (she's having fun) and better adjusted in life, quest notwithstanding. And doesn't go into scary rants. So she's easier for readers to like.

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

Both this MC and Asumi are obsessed with some lost childhood friend. Asumi has even passed up on what could be a rather nice relationship with Nanao, to continue burning money on a quixotic quest for Mai.

OTOH, Asumi is cuter. And seems happier (she's having fun) and better adjusted in life, quest notwithstanding. And doesn't go into scary rants. So she's easier for readers to like.

So basically the only thing in common is they've been separated from a childhood friend? That's not much in common. The MC from this isn't even looking for Meguru like Asumi is looking for Mai.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Niji being creepy, and the main two developing in an interesting direction...

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I love all three of these perverts ( ^ω^ )

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

her "love" is obsession, and yandere are difficult to portray as mentally healthy. (Whether they are being romanticized as love interests is a different story...)

It's unfortunate how romance stories with unique concepts like this often use the yandere aspect as something romantic, almost as if they are romanticizing mental illness. I find it very unrealistic and off-putting when reading romance stories like this. It’s clear Usui is trying a new angle, but Azuki’s mental maturity, from her time as a student to now as an adult, shows she needs professional help. I don't mean to sound rude.
Also I find it funny how most of us were so enthusiastic and excited for Usui's new series in the first chapter, and now we're all just concerned about the character's mental state. :D

As Dr James pointed out this is very much not being "romanticized", Azuki's obsession is being framed as an obstacle for her to overcome. Approx. 0% chance this is the story of her being rewarded for keeping that candle burning by getting a HEA with the plushie fucker.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

DrJamesFox posted:

So basically the only thing in common is they've been separated from a childhood friend? That's not much in common. The MC from this isn't even looking for Meguru like Asumi is looking for Mai.

I mean there's a very obvious difference in the fact that while Asumi wants to reconnect, Mai doesn't have any hangups about sex and Asumi certainly isn't at all possessive of Mai (or reasonably could be, the way the story's set up)

joined Jan 14, 2020

Also I think in our few glimpses of Mai it seemed she'd like to meet Asumi again too, not that Asumi has a way of knowing that.

And they'd moved away or something, or chickened out? I forget the premise, but pretty sure the separation wasn't "A finds B (or sex with B) disgusting". So the weird obsession with a childhood friend at least has long-shot potential, rather than Doom.

joined Jan 17, 2024

"I clicked on the manga titled Gross Girl With Problems, and the girl it's about is kinda gross and has problems :/ Don't know why the author would have a character with problems, but guess I don't need to waste my time here."

joined Aug 29, 2019

"I clicked on the manga titled Gross Girl With Problems, and the girl it's about is kinda gross and has problems :/ Don't know why the author would have a character with problems, but guess I don't need to waste my time here."

"Dead bird, do not eat" moment.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Sauzels posted:

I feel like I should at least offer some defense of the people reading the story and feeling disappointed; after all, this isn't the only story on the site dedicated to exploring taboo sexuality. Something like "is my hobby weird" is certainly focused on a character with a specific fetish but the main characters are, broadly, able to relate to each other even if some of their behavior would be regarded as creepy in the real world.

Usui Shio's other works are about people who are struggling to navigate through the ways in which they can't match or don't value societal expectations, and are focused on characters trying to establish a relationship between the two of themselves and developing an understanding of each other -- and basically always trying to understand each other. Characters may not always get along, but they do want to be with each other and work to maintain that.

This story is a bit different not because the subject matter requires a different approach -- I'd say that the other stories negotiate their relationship in basically the same way as kink requires. While it might seem odd to some people to think of such a relationship as "kink", while the term isn't particularly rigorous, it does suggest a sexuality outside of the mainstream, and you could make a case for it qualifying in that respect.

So I think it's easy to see the way in which these main characters are actually maladjusted rather than just possessing some kinks and be turned off. These characters aren't terribly likeable as they exist right now. Given the author's other works, I don't think they'll stay quite as closed-off and self-absorved as they are right now, but if they did there wouldn't be much room to tell a story anyway.

Still, I've absolutely been turned off from a story because I found the immaturity of the characters infuriating, and if I didn't expect the characters to develop then I probably wouldn't continue reading. I will grant the author the benefit of the doubt based on the strength of the previous works.

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

I wonder if Usui Shio would feel proud that their manga is getting compared to a masterpiece like "Is My Hobby Weird"

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

These characters are very interesting. Their backgrounds and opposed viewpoints mean their interactions are always full of energy. Very good and unconventional setup. The fact that some people are put off is expected and par for the course when you make something with its own distinct personality--something Usui is familiar with. Swings like this can't please everyone and if they do, that typically signals something a bit bland. Like in many good stories, these characters aren't my "friends" but I can't wait to see how they navigate their situations. So many places this can go. Very nice from Usui.

last edited at Sep 26, 2024 7:58AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.