Forum › Hanamonogatari discussion

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

New updates from Hanamonogatari by Schwinn = the world is healing

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

When is this getting licensed already so I can rec it to my "more normal" friends who don't vibe with piracy

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

There's people out there who find moral issue with reading scanlations of unlicensed manga? Lol

1pixel
joined Dec 3, 2010

When is this getting licensed already so I can rec it to my "more normal" friends who don't vibe with piracy

If this series is getting popular and more people are into it, and it has its own niche for marketing, and it's worth every penny to be licensed for a release, then it will soon be announced that a company (most likely Seven Sea but..there might be other companies) will pick it up to be licensed.

But right now, think of this as 'testing the water'.
You should show it to your friends if you find this manga to be beautiful.
When it reaches to its popularity, I am pretty sure there will be companies who would come forward to scwinn sensei for the manga to be licensed.

Anyway, if you wanted to help sensei's work, it never hurt to buy the manga too. Though it speaks Japanese.
Sales always help motivate both the publishing company and the mangaka to continue working on the series.

last edited at Jul 29, 2024 5:56AM

joined Aug 1, 2022

Seven Seas Entertainment has a monthly survey asking for new manga recommendations so I'd think that's the quickest and most direct way. Also talking about it on social media to get the buzz around even if it's just reblogging the author on twitter helps.

Seven Seas can't publish everything though or at the same time so it may take some time. Some I've given were quick and others were slow but many have been licenced. I don't get why many yuri fans have a vendetta towards 7seas specifically but they do.

Also, yes to literal Yoshiya Nohuko reference! Even though this whole manga basically is one.

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Anyway, if you wanted to help sensei's work, it never hurt to buy the manga too. Though it speaks Japanese.
Sales always help motivate both the publishing company and the mangaka to continue working on the series.

I'm pretty sure the series is completed already. Still, never hurts to support the author.

last edited at Jul 29, 2024 8:37AM

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Them slipping into using first names and getting a bit blushy about it was all sorts of adorable ^_^ Hanayo has so many regrets and irritations piled up, it's amazing seeing the weight coming off her shoulders little by little. We're starting to get indications that she might have been unsure about her sexuality for a very long time too, which could only add to that weight she's had to carry. I just can't overstate how much I'm rooting for her at this point ! Also, as a lesbian in her early forties now, seeing that old couple living happily together in their golden years both heals my soul and gives me hope for my future in ways that I desperately need (^^)

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

This is absolutely darling.

The yuri is strong with this one

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I like to see her fangirling :D

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, such a lovely chapter. ^_^

As well as some brilliant extras. :D

Img_6576
joined Jun 18, 2024

lesbians of ALL ages giggle & kick their feet while reading yuri
and nobuko yoshiya mentioned by name :)
words cannot describe how much i love this manga

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

THis manga is gonna make me cry EVERY chapter.

Kurumi
joined Feb 19, 2023

I cannot adequately describe how much I adore this manga... What a unique, charming and cathartic story

Kurumi
joined Feb 19, 2023

I'm pretty sure the series is completed already. Still, never hurts to support the author.

Seems it's ended, yes. Final episode of season 3 was published July 2023. Interestingly enough, the mangaka seems aware that people would like an official EN translated version: https://x.com/schwinn_draw/status/1673305296717123586

last edited at Jul 29, 2024 5:48PM

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Seems it's ended, yes. Final episode of season 3 was published July 2023. Interestingly enough, the mangaka seems aware that people would like an official EN translated version: https://x.com/schwinn_draw/status/1673305296717123586

Yeah, they're always aware of the unofficial TLs happening. She commented on that in a few places. I think most authors would rather find a way to make that official for obvious reasons but the backing isn't always there. I see some going through other routes.

For example, I just posted in the Her Kiss--Infectious Lust thread about that author's Kickstarter for a physical English translation of her series. It looks like it will blow past her goals and I backed it. Closes next month.

But it's always tough. Case in point:

My Twitter account is not even followed by my editorial team and they do not promote me on Twitter.
My followers, finally, please talk a lot about Hanamonogatari. Even your impressions of the bootleg [TLs] is fine. -- from their twitter, last year

It's unfortunate when you don't get the backing you want, but this series is great. They really want to draw more series with older women.

last edited at Jul 29, 2024 7:04PM

joined May 3, 2014

If this series is getting popular and more people are into it, and it has its own niche for marketing, and it's worth every penny to be licensed for a release, then it will soon be announced that a company (most likely Seven Sea but..there might be other companies) will pick it up to be licensed.

But right now, think of this as 'testing the water'.
You should show it to your friends if you find this manga to be beautiful.
When it reaches to its popularity, I am pretty sure there will be companies who would come forward to scwinn sensei for the manga to be licensed.

if it’s popular in japan yes, cuz i doubt the amount of people outside of japan buy the Japanese manga when there is an already translated one >.>

so the majority of sells have to happen in japan for this type of story to be even remotly consider to translate it to english, unlike international popularity >.>

tho i do believe they just pick what they think might sell well in English so that can happen compared to what? demon slayer getting an anime for sure boosted the english translated manga :3 or was it the other way around? an combination of the Jp+en manga sells got the anime adaptation?

last edited at Jul 29, 2024 6:41PM

joined May 3, 2014

i forgot to say this but this CHAPTER MADE ME LOVE THIS MANGA SOOO MUCH!!!!

i like it any way but now I LOVE IT!!!

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

If you follow one of the accounts on Twitter that translates manga sales statistics you'll see that yuri makes up something like 1% at most of sales. Then you make it about old women and it's a niche within a niche. All of the old women manga I see are josei in smaller artsy magazines that our publishers never touch. I wouldn't expect any major publisher to pick this up unfortunately.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

If you follow one of the accounts on Twitter that translates manga sales statistics you'll see that yuri makes up something like 1% at most of sales. Then you make it about old women and it's a niche within a niche. All of the old women manga I see are josei in smaller artsy magazines that our publishers never touch. I wouldn't expect any major publisher to pick this up unfortunately.

That's largely true, but Seven Seas does quite a lot of yuri manga, much more than 1% of their sales. There's a decent enough chance that they'd pick it up, especially something like this that went viral last year outside of Japan and is more likely to do better with an international audience. Not to mention, Seven Seas had a very large hand in getting I'm in Love with the Villainess enough notoriety (being the first of anyone to publish the light novels) to get it published in Japan. Regarding genre, this isn't a manga for old women in a josei mag but rather manga about old women for a larger audience.

I'm not sure who published this originally, but it could be slightly more complicated by having Kadokawa or a publisher other than Kodansha being the ones with the license because they have their own English publishers (and Seven Seas works with Kodansha on a lot of YH titles). Basically, just wanted to say that it's more than viable that Seven Seas or Yen Press pick this up, less so that Kadokawa would and next to impossible that Viz would.

Something I think that would be trickier about this is that the story is not shy about being a feminist tale (not unlike All My Darling Daughters). Yoshiko seems to pretty clearly be a 70s-era feminist guiding a woman dealing with intentionally portrayed compulsory heterosexuality. Hmmm, might be worth the josei tag...
(tricky because detractors are kinda nuts and supporters are very critical of representation being perfect)

last edited at Jul 30, 2024 6:40PM

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

if it’s popular in japan yes, cuz i doubt the amount of people outside of japan buy the Japanese manga when there is an already translated one >.>

Oh it absolutely can sell, that's why some English publishers even look at places like Mangadex to see what's popular as a measure of what they should license, because something being popular in Japan doesn't necessarily mean it'll sell well here (things heavily rooted in difficult to translate cultural references for example) but if it's already popular in scanlation then it's demonstrated success with a Western audience. Lots of us will buy official copies of manga we've read unofficially to support the author, too.

Dynav
joined Aug 6, 2013

This rules. Super wholesome and cute.

Side note, this is reminding me of another manga where an older lady was recalling her life lived as a lesbian who had never come out & had continued living within heteronormativity. I think the story was kind of told through her granddaughter's interactions with her. Does anyone remember what I'm thinking of?

last edited at Jul 31, 2024 3:08AM

Space Sancho Uploader
Sancho%20copy
Sancho Step
joined Oct 13, 2023

That's largely true, but Seven Seas does quite a lot of yuri manga, much more than 1% of their sales. There's a decent enough chance that they'd pick it up, especially something like this that went viral last year outside of Japan and is more likely to do better with an international audience. Not to mention, Seven Seas had a very large hand in getting I'm in Love with the Villainess enough notoriety (being the first of anyone to publish the light novels) to get it published in Japan. Regarding genre, this isn't a manga for old women in a josei mag but rather manga about old women for a larger audience.

I'm not sure who published this originally, but it could be slightly more complicated by having Kadokawa or a publisher other than Kodansha being the ones with the license because they have their own English publishers (and Seven Seas works with Kodansha on a lot of YH titles). Basically, just wanted to say that it's more than viable that Seven Seas or Yen Press pick this up, less so that Kadokawa would and next to impossible that Viz would.

Something I think that would be trickier about this is that the story is not shy about being a feminist tale (not unlike All My Darling Daughters). Yoshiko seems to pretty clearly be a 70s-era feminist guiding a woman dealing with intentionally portrayed compulsory heterosexuality. Hmmm, might be worth the josei tag...
(tricky because detractors are kinda nuts and supporters are very critical of representation being perfect)

It'll be a difficult pick-up because the series has already been cancelled at 3 volumes and schwinn wrote about how she got pretty much no support from the magazine or publisher of Hanamonogatari when it was running, despite it getting good sales for at least the first volume. Despite not seeing as high initial sales, Comic Flapper's newer duo male investigator manga got a voice acted PV for its first volume and the official twitter account retweets basically everything the author tweets. Most other authors at least get a follow and some retweets from the Flaper account. Compare that to Hanamongatari, where the author didn't ever get a follow.

There's preferrential treatment and then there's whatever was going on with Flapper/Kadokawa and schwinn. It seems like the publisher just had no hope for the series even from the beginning, so I anticipate it will take a very large number of people to show up and ask for a localization to get one. I think the revived scanlations could definitely rejuvenate that effort, though! Seven Seas has cooled down on their yuri acquisitions lately but they're a good option since they've done Kadokawa works in the past. (+People can continuously bug them on their monthly licensing surveys!)

last edited at Jul 31, 2024 2:20AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It'll be a difficult pick-up because the series has already been cancelled at 3 volumes

I mean, if Killing Me! got licensed after being cancelled with one volume and no proper ending, anything is possible...

last edited at Jul 31, 2024 3:05AM

1pixel
joined Dec 3, 2010

Side note, this is reminding me of another manga where an older lady was recalling her life lived as a lesbian who had never come out & had continued living within heteronormativity. I think the story was kind of told through her granddaughter's interactions with her. Does anyone remember what I'm thinking of?

Interesting!
I must have missed this one..
Anyone recalled ? Please share the title of the manga if you remember it, thank you!

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Interesting!
I must have missed this one..
Anyone recalled ? Please share the title of the manga if you remember it, thank you!

I know what they're talking about but can't remember the name. If I remember before someone posts it, I'll share.

last edited at Aug 1, 2024 11:38PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.