Forum › Pinky Candy Kiss discussion

BlueStallion44
joined Aug 29, 2016

This is the best manga being uploaded in this page (I say that about literally every manga. This manga is absolutely great regardless)

This manga reminds me of Useless Princess without the exaggerated drama and hard boil style. I love how both have their drama and makes the emotions feel so raw and powerful. I remember being a manic lesbian in love once. All the unrequited crushes where I had to keep swallowing my emotions. For some reason hoping they could be gay but no they’re just the straight female friend and feeling so crushed but also so kiddy back and forth it’s so uncontrollable and amazes me how strong these emotions can be. How much confessing takes a light off your shoulder.

BlueStallion44
joined Aug 29, 2016

That book was a clever way to give a hint. ^_^

I wonder if she wanted Takara to keep it because she doesn’t want her husband to know she reads lewd lesbian fiction. And that she feels safe having it kept under her “best friend’s” protection. Because at this point Ema knows that Takara didn’t read the book or even know what the title is. So I think the meaning of “keeping it” without Takara being fully aware (like for example if she never even read the book later) wouldn’t be a used as a sign for Ema to tell if Takara was gay.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

So I think the meaning of “keeping it” without Takara being fully aware (like for example if she never even read the book later) wouldn’t be a used as a sign for Ema to tell if Takara was gay.

Obviously. It was used as a sign telling Takara that Ema loved her too. At the very least back then, considering all the parallels between their relationship and the book.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Oh shit—“Her eyelashes are so long.” That’s it—game over. The Yuri Express is now barreling down the track, brakes gone and the throttle wide open.

I don't know what it is about Japanese lesbians and eyelashes, but this line shows up in every story at some point.

Beso%20tini%20emilia%20clipboard011
joined Aug 25, 2023

Oh shit—“Her eyelashes are so long.” That’s it—game over. The Yuri Express is now barreling down the track, brakes gone and the throttle wide open.

I don't know what it is about Japanese lesbians and eyelashes, but this line shows up in every story at some point.

Yeah, those zany Japanese, why can't they say “Her boobs are so big” like everyone else, right?

Img_20230409_111237-min
joined Aug 23, 2022

Hardly unique to Japanese lesbians. This is an extremely common observation in English language lesbian fiction and also just real life

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Hardly unique to Japanese lesbians. This is an extremely common observation in English language lesbian fiction and also just real life

Well, in yuri manga my impression is that it seems to function less as a general “lesbian observation” and more specifically as a “gateway to lesbian realization” trope—when a character first responds to the physical presence/beauty of another woman (sometimes paired with “her skin is so soft/white/pretty,” etc.).

In any case, I always like this particular yuri situation: when the MCs are totally gone on each other but one or both of them don’t quite know it yet.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I don't understand why people always comment on the "her eyelashes are so long" line. Well, I do, because it is literally in every yuri manga out there... but there is a reason it is. Who doesn't like beautiful eyelashes?

I wish there would be mentions of eyebrows as well, though. In all the lesbian media I've consumed, Japanese and western, I may have come across a comment on eyebrows once. People don't appreciate eyebrows as much as they should, honestly —my real life friends included.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't understand why people always comment on the "her eyelashes are so long" line. Well, I do, because it is literally in every yuri manga out there... but there is a reason it is. Who doesn't like beautiful eyelashes?

Again, it’s not that people noticing eyelashes in real life is weird or anything. Quite the contrary—that’s obviously the purpose of things like mascara and false eyelashes.

But in the context of yuri manga, though, the trope is often an early flag that the character is embarking on the yuri route, so of course it has more narrative significance than a character thinking “She has pretty hair” or “I like her dress,” especially since it almost always entails a sudden physical closeness.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

So this has been licensed, under Viz's shojobeat imprint of all things. Yay for official english release

https://x.com/shojobeat/status/1796582651757048097

last edited at May 31, 2024 5:19PM

Daremo from Parts Unknown
joined May 6, 2022

And likely not related, but: Pinky was a Japanese fruit-mint candy brand until 2018. They mixed a rare pink heart-shaped piece into some containers (shown here, near the bottom; according to a former employee, the production limit was no more than one heart piece per 300 normal ones) and high school girls supposedly attached superstitions to it like giving it to your crush would make the love mutual.

When Takara says that Ema found a rare pink yolk in an egg and became super happy, it's clearly a reference to this Pinky candy gimmick... right?

Lol at Takara who didn't understand why Ema was happy, btw.

To reply you must either login or sign up.