Forum › My Girlfriend's Not Here Today discussion

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

I don't believe these arguments were made in good faith. My use of the term "development" clearly referred to the growth and change of a character as a person due to experiences within the story - character development. My argument was entirely consistent with that definition. I pointed out that Yuni remains as selfish now as she was at the start, illustrating a lack of character growth or change. This seems like a deliberate misinterpretation of my words.

Project about "bad faith" much? The entire story is about Yuni's changes as a character--her discovery of what she does and doesn't want in a relationship, of her own sexual proclivities, etc.

You started this discussion by demanding that readers enumerate Yuni's positive qualities, and then promptly scorned the answers as "shallow arguments," as if only those aspects of Yuni's character that meet your personal moral standards really count as "development."

To me the expectation that a character must become a "better person" epitomizes a shallow conception of what "character development" means.

I believe you're arguing in bad faith, Blaastar, and persisting in doing so.

I presented an argument about how I perceive Yuni's lack of significant character development since the beginning of the story. You came in asserting that I'm using the term incorrectly, despite your argument being unrelated to what I was trying to convey, as I further clarified in my subsequent post. I don't think it's necessary to continue debating that point.

I firmly believe that an argument based solely on physical attractiveness and sexual compatibility is superficial. Let's agree to disagree on that.

Whether the character development is positive or negative doesn't matter; there's no inherent morality to it. Thus far, I haven't seen any convincing arguments that Yuni has changed. She still exhibits self-centered behavior, lacks communication skills, blames others, and is willing to disregard others' feelings. Moreover, I haven't observed her expressing any sense of remorse in her actions or thoughts, whereas for instance Fuuko has demonstrated meaningful character growth.

Sexual compatibility is definitely not just "superficial," it can solely make or break a relationship. After all of everything else is fine but you're not sexually compatible, why not just be friends?
You also ignored a full half of the points I made for why Fuuko things Yuni is a desirable partner after you asked for them, the two that are specifically about their emotional connection, and then you claim that the only points are "superficial". Are you sure it's everyone else working in bad faith here?
https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts/899535

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

I don't believe these arguments were made in good faith. My use of the term "development" clearly referred to the growth and change of a character as a person due to experiences within the story - character development. My argument was entirely consistent with that definition. I pointed out that Yuni remains as selfish now as she was at the start, illustrating a lack of character growth or change. This seems like a deliberate misinterpretation of my words.

Project about "bad faith" much? The entire story is about Yuni's changes as a character--her discovery of what she does and doesn't want in a relationship, of her own sexual proclivities, etc.

You started this discussion by demanding that readers enumerate Yuni's positive qualities, and then promptly scorned the answers as "shallow arguments," as if only those aspects of Yuni's character that meet your personal moral standards really count as "development."

To me the expectation that a character must become a "better person" epitomizes a shallow conception of what "character development" means.

I presented an argument about how I perceive Yuni's lack of significant character development since the beginning of the story. You came in asserting that I'm using the term incorrectly, despite your argument being unrelated to what I was trying to convey, as I further clarified in my subsequent post. I don't think it's necessary to continue debating that point.

I firmly believe that an argument based solely on physical attractiveness and sexual compatibility is superficial. Let's agree to disagree on that.

Whether the character development is positive or negative doesn't matter; there's no inherent morality to it. Thus far, I haven't seen any convincing arguments that Yuni has changed. She still exhibits self-centered behavior, lacks communication skills, blames others, and is willing to disregard others' feelings. Moreover, I haven't observed her expressing any sense of remorse in her actions or thoughts, whereas for instance Fuuko has demonstrated meaningful character growth.

Sexual compatibility is definitely not just "superficial," it can solely make or break a relationship. After all of everything else is fine but you're not sexually compatible, why not just be friends?
You also ignored a full half of the points I made for why Fuuko things Yuni is a desirable partner after you asked for them, the two that are specifically about their emotional connection, and then you claim that the only points are "superficial". Are you sure it's everyone else working in bad faith here?

Bruh you can’t ignore all their points and then say

If you can’t make a proper argument for your side just concede

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

Bruh you can’t ignore all their points and then say

If you can’t make a proper argument for your side just concede

smirkingtyrant
Dog%20me
joined Oct 3, 2018

People talk about "deserve" way too much with romance, it's kinda gross ngl. Nobody "deserves" any romantic relationship, they aren't something you can earn. They are a matter of two (or more) people consenting to be with each other and clearly Fuuko does not share in these extremely negative interpretations of Yuni's character.

Well, go ahead and share some of her positive qualities with us. I'm curious to hear about them, especially since even the author describes her negatively. Then, explain to us how someone who was forgiven for cheating and then betrays that trust again at the first chance can still be considered a good person.

I think she’s intentionally written in a way to be cunty, where you’re not supposed to have sympathy or like her personally. She’s just too dislikable for it to be an accident. As a writer myself, I can tell what the author is trying to do. Part of why she is the way she is is because she’s not getting her emotional needs met, and doesn’t know what she wants

And because it’s a yuri manga gotta crank that miscommunication and drama meter up 30 lvls haha

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 9:05AM

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

can't wait for the translation before spoiling, can you?

I guess I'm not working fast enough..

You remind me of someone who got banned twice from here.

last edited at May 17, 2024 10:54AM

joined Jun 12, 2015

But they use black bars? What's the problem?

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

It's spoiling story that the vast majority of people here have not yet and cannot yet read. Don't be a devil waving that temptation in front of people, it's rude to other readers and particularly rude to the scanlators, and in exchange... you get to post your hot take a bit earlier? What, was it gonna kill you to not get it off your chest? It's really not a particularly hard thing to do, waiting to talk about something until other people can also talk about it with you, and the benefits far outweigh the cost of "coming back to the thread later" lol

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

It's spoiling story that the vast majority of people here have not yet and cannot yet read. Don't be a devil waving that temptation in front of people, it's rude to other readers and particularly rude to the scanlators, and in exchange... you get to post your hot take a bit earlier? What, was it gonna kill you to not get it off your chest? It's really not a particularly hard thing to do, waiting to talk about something until other people can also talk about it with you, and the benefits far outweigh the cost of "coming back to the thread later" lol

This.

Adding that sometimes people are "reading" using a machine translator and interpret things the wrong way and mislead people.

last edited at May 18, 2024 2:35AM

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

YOU WANT TO BE WHAT

joined Jun 12, 2015

Holly, people here can be really fragile.

Back to this chapters. I can't take this story serious anymore. It's turning 180 to some ridiculous płot development. It's like author don't know how to milk this series further.

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Ma'am O.O

yes, mommy

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

h3x posted:

Holly, people here can be really fragile.

Back to this chapters. I can't take this story serious anymore. It's turning 180 to some ridiculous płot development. It's like author don't know how to milk this series further.

And yet, you come back to read it every time.

joined Jun 12, 2015

It's coz the spoilers ^_^

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

OMG, that last panel is like the greatest ever.

joined Apr 2, 2023

Thank you for the quality translation, I very much appreciate it!

What does she mean by "I want to be your mama"? Fuuko has mommy issues but Yuni has a good relationship with her mom from what we have seen. I doubt she will be into this.

Fjavttcwyaqbvef
joined Feb 3, 2023

Omg the chapter was all serious but the last page made me laugh. What is this line?! lol

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Thank you for the quality translation, I very much appreciate it!

What does she mean by "I want to be your mama"? Fuuko has mommy issues but Yuni has a good relationship with her mom from what we have seen. I doubt she will be into this.

The ambiguity is what makes it so great.

The author could have played it as, “I thought what I felt for you was lust, but seeing the baby made me realize it was love.”

But it comes off as, “Sex with you was great, but I really want to change your diapers.”

Nq9nh0qj
joined Oct 25, 2023

It's rare for me to laugh out loud as loudly as I did for that last page. Caught me way off guard.

On the contrary, Yuni will be into this because she's such a momma's girl and wants to spend more time with her. Remember a couple of chapters ago how Yuni was acting all sad and lonely because her mom was always getting home late? Also there was the bit about how Yuni was given a cat to keep her company while her mom was gone and she was heartbroken by it's death. Yuni is totally craving a substitute for her mom.

Now how does this manifest into specific behavior with Fuuko acting like her mom? Not really sure...maybe pampering/spoiling her or something? Probably something more toxic, considering what series we're reading.

last edited at May 18, 2024 8:51AM

joined Jun 11, 2021

wuh oh, new fetish unlocked

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

... Ahaha a new layer was added to the drama this is awesome

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

I'm surprised people are surprised Fuuko of all the characters has a weird idea of family roles. My bet is that she means it like unconditional love, without any actual parenting meaning, and isn't nearly as good at communication as Yuni thinks she is lol

canihavekith
142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

what is going AWNN

Sdm%20ladies%20cheering
joined Apr 10, 2023

Adding that sometimes people are "reading" using a machine translator and interpret things the wrong way and mislead people.

Oh yeah that's definitely something to consider too. Learned that lesson thanks to story leaks from Mihoyo games, where Chinese to English MTL of social media posts about a beta resulted in people claiming the most ridiculous shit and broadcasting it as loud as they could. The biggest example was a plot reveal about a character X being related to a character Y was instead transformed into "character X is the real character Y!!!" due to the name they had in common lol.

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I'm surprised people are surprised Fuuko of all the characters has a weird idea of family roles. My bet is that she means it like unconditional love, without any actual parenting meaning, and isn't nearly as good at communication as Yuni thinks she is lol

Yeah I'm leaning somewhere in that direction as well but we'll see. It's interesting because with Fuuko, Yuni actually takes a leading role, while she's unable to do so with her current gf. I feel that's also significant (ignoring that she also seems to get along with Fuuko more naturally).

last edited at May 18, 2024 10:20AM

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

That last line....Eeeeeeeeeeeeew. I think she said that because of the baby thing, but...gross...then again, happy they are "friends" again.
EDIT: I read the other comments, I think I get it now and I just took it too literally, as usual.

last edited at May 18, 2024 10:02AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.