Forum › My Dear Lass discussion

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

I'm so happy for them! ^.^

Now, what's with the nee girl? She definitely looks like a relative of Xiaoen (maybe her sister?).

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

One of my favorite characters incoming. This series is one of the best. Really love the relationship building between the entire cast.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

I do feel for Tianli. She's genuinely remorseful and I'd like to see her character grow more. The promise was to "stop talking about her" and she kept that by leaving the chat. So I wonder if she'll show up again next year.

(Not forgiving something doesn't have to mean cutting someone out of your life forever. It'd be interesting to see the nuance of moving forward under a different kind of relationship explored after they've had more time to grow apart.)

And unless i missed something, Tianli doesn't know the severity of what she did because Xingyuan didn't mention anything about her father. Which is understandable, but Tianli might realize how trivial her hangups are in the face of that info and understand the Xingyuan's response better. When that flashbacks were happening, the interactions with her father seemed to be the bigger deal, so I was pretty surprised he didn't come up at all in panels dealing with Tianli and that (even just like, a note about Xingyuan intentionally not mentioning him)

joined Apr 10, 2023

Thinking of peaches . . . hang on, she's allergic? I must have missed that.

It only came up once, she gets stomach problems if she eats raw peaches, but she's fine with processed ones like peach baked goods. I think this was a "secret" told to Xingyuan by the nail art gay with the stutter, iirc.

last edited at Apr 11, 2024 11:39AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, finding out the true meaning of her chat ID got quite a laugh out of me, in the end there was no reason to be jealous over that. :D

Ashley_looks_at_a_message_on_the_das~2
joined Feb 20, 2023

And unless i missed something, Tianli doesn't know the severity of what she did because Xingyuan didn't mention anything about her father. Which is understandable, but Tianli might realize how trivial her hangups are in the face of that info and understand the Xingyuan's response better. When that flashbacks were happening, the interactions with her father seemed to be the bigger deal, so I was pretty surprised he didn't come up at all in panels dealing with Tianli and that (even just like, a note about Xingyuan intentionally not mentioning him)

Yea, Xingyuan's family has been the main source of her trauma so far. Also even if Tianli found out there isn't much she could've done as a middle school kid once the rumor reached her parents. She made a mistake in the heat of the moment, but the sins of everyone who followed aren't all hers. She sought Xingyuan looking to apologize and offered to do anything, and I think she meant it. To be honest had Tianli found Xingyuan at a time she was still alone and not surrounded by a support network she may have been able to do something for her. As an adult I actually think Tianli took all the right courses of action she reasonably could.

joined Mar 23, 2022

Omg did they just, finally slept together???like you know doing the did??ayieeeeee!god finally!!!>\<
I really love how freaking sensual they could be for each other like all those simple and little touches they make so lovey dovey that make me feel so freaking single. Shanaa all..these two adorable dorks, the amount of happiness I feel for them now that they are together is immeasurable.
Lol I like how we all misunderstood the meaning behind her caller name ID.XD.

last edited at Apr 12, 2024 10:05AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

This bunch of cowards. :D

And no, I didn't see brother coming either...

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Brother you say? That's very different than what I was expecting lol

joined Aug 8, 2021

Wait, I'm confused. Who's "he"? Is Xiao Yang a girl or a boy?

Noodlerama001
joined Feb 24, 2023

I’m so confused so that’s a boy??

Screenshot%202024-08-04%20044759
joined Jun 21, 2021

a very pretty boy, that one. big gremlin energy

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Love this character! Can't wait to explore their story again, as I connected with the story the most after their introduction. Really happy this series has such a good group working it. It really deserves it.

last edited at May 7, 2024 3:16PM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

"younger brothers just automatically get to call their older sisters "jiejie"?" lesbianism off the charsts lmao

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Really hope this is "hes a trans man w/o top surgery" and not.. any other option... besides maybe they are misgendering a trans fem character and eventually they will stop doing that

joined Aug 21, 2017

YOUNGER BROTHER?

joined Apr 10, 2023

Really hope this is "hes a trans man w/o top surgery" and not.. any other option... besides maybe they are misgendering a trans fem character and eventually they will stop doing that

I'm inclined to think Yang is transmasc due to how accepting and queer friendly Peach Town (or at least Mu Xiaoen's bubble within it) has been shown to be so far. Like they have a conversation specifically about how these gendered terms are more important socially than they are strict biological tags, right? Somebody does not need to be your AFAB biological older sibling to be a Jiejie. So surely the labels can be flexible in other ways as well, like respecting the gender of your trans little brother.

last edited at May 8, 2024 12:53AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

He's hilarious, is what he is. Beyond that, I don't really care what particular kind of gender fiddling he might be doing or if he's just a pretty boy with interesting fashion sense.
I'm dying. Funniest chapter yet.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Whatever their gender is, I already love our new chaotic gremlin.

joined Jan 3, 2020

I'm inclined to think Yang is transmasc due to how accepting and queer friendly Peach Town (or at least Mu Xiaoen's bubble within it) has been shown to be so far. Like they have a conversation specifically about how these gendered terms are more important socially than they are strict biological tags, right? Somebody does not need to be your AFAB biological older sibling to be a Jiejie. So surely the labels can be flexible in other ways as well, like respecting the gender of your trans little brother.

Maybe I'm overly cynical but I'm inclined to think exactly the opposite in this case for the same second reason you used. The thing you mentioned with non-family using familial terms is normal in China (and most East Asian or Southeast Asian cultures), or at the least it's very normal in manhua in particular. I've seen many where this happens. Sometimes another character will ask for an explanation of why they use this term for that person, but half of the time I feel that's purely for the reader's sake.

And this flexibility in familial terms does -not- typically extend to other things like sexual orientations or gender identity in places like China (or most East Asian or Southeast Asian cultures). It's obvious for us to connect the extension of one term to the potential extension of others, but it's probably not obvious for the author. I also think that authors in these environments are focusing on inclusiveness but for a sort-of selfish reason - they're often including themselves. A decent chunk of Yuri writers in Japan are lesbians, for example (not even remotely all of them, likely not even 25%, but it seems to be a sizeable minority, especially amongst amateur writers). Writing can be escapism, or it can be intentionally writing something you know is escapism-ish for a community in need of it.

But maybe I'm not giving the author enough credit. We shall see.

Whatever their gender is, I already love our new chaotic gremlin.

Also agreed!

last edited at May 8, 2024 9:07AM

joined Jun 3, 2014

This little "brother" has titties, I wonder what type of explanation we'll get next chapter

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

This little "brother" has titties, I wonder what type of explanation we'll get next chapter

They don't though? At best it's ambiguous, considering clothing detailing etc.

last edited at May 11, 2024 8:06AM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Yeah I'm not seeing the "titties". The brother looks a bit androgynous, in part due to clothing. That's about the only thing that really comes to mind when I think about it, but it's nothing surprising to me as there's a lot of variety to how people dress and look. I was only surprised by the brother announcement because I'm so used to new character introductions in romance series revolving around drama, love rivals, EXs, and so fourth. So my surprise wasn't over the "brother" part and more so that the new character is family haha

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Yeah I'm not seeing the "titties". The brother looks a bit androgynous, in part due to clothing. That's about the only thing that really comes to mind when I think about it, but it's nothing surprising to me as there's a lot of variety to how people dress and look. I was only surprised by the brother announcement because I'm so used to new character introductions in romance series revolving around drama, love rivals, EXs, and so fourth. So my surprise wasn't over the "brother" part and more so that the new character is family haha

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_dear_lass_ch54#7 here is where it most suggests that? two dark contour lines and the way the light falls in the rendering of the color of their top suggests something there. regardless.

I'm not convinced of this discussion that we shouldnt categorize or impute transness tbh. The idea that gender binary, or at least portions identifiably "Western", of it, are an import, which by extension means misogyny/patriarchy with all the consequence that has upon transfeminine individuals? just doesnt accurately describe many many situations. I get specific terminology doesn't map one to one. but the mechanisms of transmisogyny aren't so disparate. I can show you thousands of women in the western sphere. who on account of transmisogyny, cede their claims to womanhood in the public eye in varying degrees, whether its due to filial pressures or greater societal ones ( the family has long ceased to have been "private"). I mean for fucks sake i rarely correct strangers these days. Like very clearly, the story itself is acknowledging the regime of heterosexuality that yes, is present in China. very clearly an observable fact!! queer and trans people don't fit the measure, it's been underpinning Xingyuan's character for a long time now! I'd love if it shook out to be a transmasc character but like the narrative trope in their introduction is still "wow you sure were fooled by everything about their presentation, from the way they looked and spoke, you were wrong, haha it's a boy actually" is not great. it is in fact falling on transmisogynistic tropes.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

again i'll say that i trust this author a lot. that said. its not outside the scope for anybody to drop the ball and default to the impulse of transmisogyny. maybe its 1 misstep in the grand scheme of this portrayal, but its still there and its still a warranted criticism, and one made in the intent to communicate, "hey this reads off to trans ppl" not to moralize ones enjoyment of it or whatever.

last edited at May 13, 2024 5:03PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.