Forum › Unaware His Majesty Is a Girl discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ooh, that woman better pay for all she's done...

Nice to see our little empress stay strong and encourage her wife to do so in the end as well. ^_^

joined Feb 20, 2024

That "just woke up kiss" and all I could think of is "oh no dragon breath!!

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

I don't reference matricide lightly, but somebody needs to invent trains, so we can throw Mama off one!

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

I don't reference matricide lightly, but somebody needs to invent trains, so we can throw Mama off one!

Let me just prep for the appropriate ceremony that day comes... clears throat Ding dong, the witch is dead!

joined Apr 10, 2023

Did.... Did that woman really just kill a kitten by smacking it into her child's face really hard??? Jesus Christ that's over the top.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Did.... Did that woman really just kill a kitten by smacking it into her child's face really hard??? Jesus Christ that's over the top.

Who doesn't love to hate a highly evil mother-in-law?

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I think that, by Newton's third law, it would maim the child's face, as well, and an aspiring emperor is supposed to be physically perfect, according to Chinese tradition. My impression was that she slammed the kitten against the wall, albeit so close to the emperor's face, that its blood splashed on it.

But I agree that this is over the top, and the woman needs to pay for this act of wanton felinicide.

last edited at Mar 19, 2024 7:38PM

kenkyokitsune Uploader
Xiao
The Golden Orchid
joined May 4, 2021

an aspiring emperor is supposed to be physically perfect, according to Chinese tradition

You might be thinking of the Byzantines.

SchroCatDinger
Takodachi_slime_bocchi_by_walkman0_dg1rfr9-pre
joined Feb 18, 2021

Oh the tags have changed I wonder wh-
Oh, welp, now the premise of the story doesn't really make sense anymore.

Though, I do wonder why the emperor isn't just left ambiguously transmasc, considering they're seemingly just fine with being a guy, and don't really seem interested in being a girl.

Ok i got it, is this story pretending to be one of thous chinese stories that has “yuri” tag but also the cross-dressing tag so we get what i feel is an STRAIGHT romance story were even in the chapter 15 we got the other supposed “lesbian/bisexual” MC having SEX with HER HUSBAND, how is this YURI?!?!?!?!

I’m sorry but i don’t see anything yuri in this story, is it gonna change? will we EVER address the idea of the EMPEROR being a women? or the idea of two women in an relationship? we will EVER see the concept that no, relationship between straight people is different from gay ones? or will the MC suddenly be OK with her supposed HUSBAND being a WIFE?!?!?!?

there was one other Chinese novel that i coudn’t finish reading were the General was hiding her gender and for some stupid reason, we don’t get the other MC to know that the General was a women while the Princes was so gay she made sure the General was USED AS A PAWN WITH NO MERCY cuz he was a MEN! (abd the general fell for the princes so she did whatever the princess ask of her) that farce of an supposed “Yuri romance” HAPPEN AT THE END! 1/5 of the story with 0 romance with only the GENERAL being in love with the princes! the ROMANCE didn’t exist at all cuz the author forgot to build ANY relationship with them because the princes didn’t found out the general was a women early.

this story will need some solid exploration of the relationship they have AFTER the MC finds the emperor true gender! but i do wander if an Chinese story can pull it off were even the Japanese mangas shy away from the concept of “Sexual Orientation”

...are you okay?

No they are definitely not lol, just check their posts.

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

I wouldn't be surprised if that is Tantai Lan's specific role in the court, and why she has been hanging around the palace ever since the Emperor's wedding so much. Since she is a military officer, rather than a career courtier, she is somewhat shielded from courtly intrigue, making it easier for her to act under the Dowager's nose.

That and she's wooing her future partner. Let's not forget that!

I'm not sure if she is really "shielded" from the intrigue. Apparently, there is a frontier pass somewhere waiting for her, and if anything, a punitive relocation seems to be easier than having to stage an incident to get rid of whoever else.

The Empress Dowager is in power when it comes to matter of the palace, and the Rear Palace specifically (including the actions of Yu Dingdang and Ming Wei). I don't think she has personal power over military matters, and there has been no indication that she has powerful allies in the military. If she caught wind of what Tantai Lan is doing, she might prevent her from entering the palace (which would still be a problem) but not forcibly relocate her, nor prevent her from seeing the Emperor.

And ch. 19 shows that even that power isn't as solid as it looks. If her only defense against incurring her daughter's displeasure is "what if your wife finds out", that defense is paper-thin. Although Qi Nian doesn't necessarily realize it yet.

last edited at Apr 5, 2024 5:19AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Interesting development. The fact is, the Dowager needs the Emperor to remain in power, since it's the latter who officially sits on the throne (not to mention having the backing of at least one general), whereas the Dowager is only a successful concubine of a dead emperor. She can ride the high horse and act intimidating, but other than the flimsy gender-reveal blackmail, childhood trauma triggers, and the filial piety angle, she does not have a lot of levers over the Emperor (at least that we know of).

an aspiring emperor is supposed to be physically perfect, according to Chinese tradition

You might be thinking of the Byzantines.

Yea, I seem to have mixed them up somehow. Nevertheless, I still don't think that the empress slammed a kitten into her daughter's face.

last edited at Apr 5, 2024 9:46AM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

but other than the flimsy gender-reveal blackmail, childhood trauma triggers, and the filial piety angle, she does not have a lot of levers over the Emperor (at least that we know of).

I agree with your sentiment but to be fair, for a child, those can be some major levers.

last edited at Apr 5, 2024 12:51PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Mother went too far, and now she's reaping the consequences.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Mother has a nuclear option: "if you take me down, I reveal you're a woman"

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

Hey, you old pig, get out of my life. Go to a nursing home >:(

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Clever girl.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

If she is actually straddling the emperor, RIP her knees once again. :3

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Is it just me or did they just cram a whole lot of story in just a few pages? Did this get axed?

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Is it just me or did they just cram a whole lot of story in just a few pages? Did this get axed?

Definitely not. It's at chapter 50 and weekly.

joined Feb 1, 2021

I like Yu Dingdang a lot, she knows what she wants and gets shit done

Chimera
joined Aug 2, 2023

I believe the feeling comes from being so used to main couples that need 150 chapters for a first confession, that tangible progress feels rushed. Like, 50 chapters minimum? I doubt the title will remain true for much longer.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Definitely not. It's at chapter 50 and weekly.

Thanks!

I believe the feeling comes from being so used to main couples that need 150 chapters for a first confession, that tangible progress feels rushed. Like, 50 chapters minimum? I doubt the title will remain true for much longer.

Nah. It's more like, it was progressing rather slowly up until chapter 19, and then a whole bunch of stuff happens in chapter 20. The pacing feels wrong.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Tantai Lan looks damn fine in that armor. No, scratch that: Tantai Lan looks damn fine, period.

Also, looking forward to the point where the little Empress' MAX martial ability becomes relevant to the main plot. :3

joined Apr 10, 2023

Lol what an age gap. People sure were immoral back in ye olden times, huh :P

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Are we sure it shouldn't be marital instead of martial? Would make more sense to me considering she learned a multitude of skills to be a good wife, not to be a great warrior xD

To reply you must either login or sign up.