Forum › The Princess of Sylph discussion

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I love all the extras she writes. There's so many. I know it must be a slight hassle to figure out which are ok to include and which would be too spoilery.

last edited at Oct 19, 2023 8:57AM

joined Mar 20, 2012

the sapphic urge to write characters bleeding out and experiencing immense physical pain and trauma

I was going to laugh and say "Pshaw, what an exaggerated statement!" but then I remembered novels like Clear And Muddy Loss Of Love and Female General and Eldest Princess.

Aaand I guess I have nothing to say after all.

i hate Female General and Eldest Princess spoilers—> i can’t believe people praise this as great Lesbian Romance when the supposed romance is just……UGH like we have 1/5 of the novel being romance AT THE END AND THAT is garbage fast forward because the author forgot this is supposed to be an romance novel

In their defense most Chinese novels I have read are just like that, at this point I think it's cultural. I just finished reading a series that was 4000 pages and they started holding hands like at 4/5 of it??? And it was portrayed as lewd and not in the reddit way, in the serious way. They take their slow burn VERY seriously. Just take Mo Dao Zu Shi, the most famous BLB of all as an example. Most of the series is just worldbuilding and very well written angst approaching the tradegy that killed Wei Ying in his first body.

I liked reading the female general and eldest princess but I don't know if I would recommend it.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

In the last page of the extra we're told: "Here's some lorecrafting tweets Kamejiro made."

For some reason I first read it as: "Here's some lovecraftian tweets Kamejiro made."

And I was very scared.

I don't want Sara and Natalia to be eaten by Cthulhu.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I love all the extras she writes. There's so many. I know it must be a slight hassle to figure out which are ok to include and which would be too spoilery.

This one was borderline. I translated it more because its omission would break the pattern and it's already a slim month with work on volume 2 needing to be done. It didn't tie in too much to the interlude, and I'm leaning a bit on everyone acknowledging by now that Natalia and Sara's updated designs means this is describing the future once the plot gets going.

Not that I don't love it. It's exciting to see Kamejiro taking a serious look at the nitty gritty details of adventuring. There's also some bits that will probably stand out more on a reread; Kamejiro's puts a lot of effort into making things interesting for both new and old readers. Though a hidden detail that might stand out to anyone is them only packing a single sleeping bag.

I'll be translating the original twitter manga in the next few months so hopefully I won't have to worry as much about spoilers. I'll probably have to start submitting all the one-off art Kamejiro draws as images rather than chapters on Dynasty. Never done that before, but it can't be too complicated. Just complicated condensing all this material into one location.

joined Apr 10, 2023

I appreciated the detail of them earning money by crafting instead of murder like many fantasy main characters. It's a nice bit of flavor for them and really adds to their humanity.

joined Oct 12, 2021

I am so very grateful to the person translating this (and the person creating this). Every new upload breathes a little life into me, and I really need it sometimes. Thank you so much for your hard work, as always.

Eldmbwaw4amteza
joined Nov 22, 2019

So is that vial of Undine a valuable, restorative or practical item?

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

yes

joined Sep 10, 2022

She's in the vial. Edit: I'm dumb and missed the joke.

last edited at Oct 21, 2023 11:58AM

Tumblr_caf3b0f42fae30c4861ed20d01537352_218b78f1_250
joined Apr 6, 2021

So pleasantly surprised with this manga. It took me several re reads of the first few chapters to get into it but now I’m fully hooked.
I love the characters and I can’t wait to see where this is going.

The translation is great too, very good job !

joined Jul 26, 2023

Yes, this new chapter gets me fired up for this again.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I'm not sure if it's better or worse that she wasn't chosen by a True Fae with an alien viewpoint but actually the brother on a weird whim...

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I'm not sure if it's better or worse that she wasn't chosen by a True Fae with an alien viewpoint but actually the brother on a weird whim...

tbf its more like she accidentally got in the way of the seed as it was supposed to be implanted in Natalia. But the brother was a bit of a dick about it lol. All in all a pretty crazy situation to be in, but he did a good thing at least saving her life.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I'm going to try to have the original twitter manga fully translated before December's over. I might wait to upload it on Dynasty until it's done, just because I don't want to flood submissions daily, but I'll be trying to put out a chapter every day on Mangadex. It will have heavy spoilers, since the story seems to be following the exact same path, but it's different enough.

It's not impossible the sylph did intentionally give it to Sara. Luis wasn't responsible for giving her Sylpheed in the first place, but he took full advantage of a bad situation, if for a noble purpose. Save his sister and disregard Sara's will, or let Sara sacrifice herself and abandon Natalia to the full responsibility of a position she never wanted.

This whole chapter is two people with their minds made up from the start making excuses. It's heavily implied Luis was lying about pulling the sprout killing you; he shows shock initially when Sara chooses to take her own life but calmness as she does it, and Sara's confusion that pulling it out didn't kill her indicates the same. Also one of the flower meanings of snapdragons is deception, along with good intentions going wrong. Luis likely wanted to test Sara's character first and didn't want her accidentally starting the ritual. Though I doubt he ever would have let Sara die.

I don't think this is worth spoiler tagging, but in the original the only way to transfer Sylpheed was for the former host to die. Sara sees it as a noble sacrifice, but she's choosing to irrationally ignore the pain she sees Natalia in. Luis isn't willing to sentence a good person to death to increase his sister's burden. There's a lot of hints about Sara's deeper personality here, from how she keeps framing the situation as her needing to be punished to her complete willingness to die. It's not as obvious yet, but Sara is someone who needs to be saved just as much as Natalia.

While Luis was blatantly setting up flags with the whole 300 years of peace talk, from their perspective there's no reason to believe anyone's being endangered by Sara keeping Sylpheed. Chapter 2's little monster intrusion hadn't happened yet.

I think this chapter also interestingly re-contextualizes many earlier scenes. Sara's wistfulness at realizing her resolve is failing because she's falling for Natalia, or her willingness to throw herself into danger because she's convinced her death is the best outcome.

This page right here is going to be the crux of the upcoming conflict. We're leaving the story's intro and it's time for our heroes to start making choices for themselves. Luis's early line about the weight of personal choices building on you is something to bear in mind, as it sets the tone of the story. Along with good intentions not always having the best outcomes.

joined Sep 10, 2022

tbf its more like she accidentally got in the way of the seed as it was supposed to be implanted in Natalia. But the brother was a bit of a dick about it lol. All in all a pretty crazy situation to be in, but he did a good thing at least saving her life.

Yeah he's concerned for his sisters well being and sees the opportunity to keep close to her, someone who will love her enough to change her depressive and suicidal tendencies. The sword would likely be nothing without a competent handler anyway, and the princess was not in the mental state to survive long without Sara. He ends up being right about the effect she'd have but what's really great is how the two women have ended up affecting each other in positive ways. They both have issues and flaws that the other helps account for. Now the girls have a lot of troubles to get through together.

last edited at Dec 1, 2023 7:48AM

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Oh no, the brother is hot too

joined Dec 13, 2018

the sapphic urge to write characters bleeding out and experiencing immense physical pain and trauma

I was going to laugh and say "Pshaw, what an exaggerated statement!" but then I remembered novels like Clear And Muddy Loss Of Love and Female General and Eldest Princess.

Aaand I guess I have nothing to say after all.

i hate Female General and Eldest Princess spoilers—> i can’t believe people praise this as great Lesbian Romance when the supposed romance is just……UGH like we have 1/5 of the novel being romance AT THE END AND THAT is garbage fast forward because the author forgot this is supposed to be an romance novel

In their defense most Chinese novels I have read are just like that, at this point I think it's cultural. I just finished reading a series that was 4000 pages and they started holding hands like at 4/5 of it??? And it was portrayed as lewd and not in the reddit way, in the serious way. They take their slow burn VERY seriously. Just take Mo Dao Zu Shi, the most famous BLB of all as an example. Most of the series is just worldbuilding and very well written angst approaching the tradegy that killed Wei Ying in his first body.

I liked reading the female general and eldest princess but I don't know if I would recommend it.

What's this extreme hand-holding series

I must know

Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

...I'm suddenly remembering what a Snapdragon scroll does in Tactics Ogre.

Hmm.

joined Feb 2, 2021

Now that I'm caught up here I have to say, there's a couple scenes I much prefer in the Twitter version. Although it has less scenes overall (progress is pretty fast) they're all so good. I really hoped the sleepover scene would be in this because across all works of this it's the best scene of them all, but you can't have it all I guess.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I really hoped the sleepover scene would be in this because across all works of this it's the best scene of them all, but you can't have it all I guess.

I wouldn't write that off just yet, considering before the flashback Natalia made arrangements so Sara would be staying the night in the castle with her. Even if Snake Princess is on board after hearing Sara's story (which I doubt since she likely thinks the danger outweighs keeping Sara alive regardless, though probably won't be so aggressive anymore) there's no reason for them not to stick together.

It'd be a good opportunity for Natalia to dwell on how she feels about Sara, since Natalia's been out of focus for a while, but also provide a moment of calm before presumably we start dealing with the wall falling apart.

277518907_284798580472730_8969942845314652470_n
joined Sep 19, 2021

The author on Twitter is telling us to buy the comic if possible. And from the look of it, they are probably serializing their work by themself. I hope that maybe we can contribute some and not just read the thing. I really don't want this adorable series to be axed because of the artist not getting enough food to live...

Edit: the thing is published by... KADOKAWA? Uhm, so still the calling to buy the comic holds.

last edited at Dec 4, 2023 2:41AM

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

The author on Twitter is telling us to buy the comic if possible. And from the look of it, they are probably serializing their work by themself. I hope that maybe we can contribute some and not just read the thing. I really don't want this adorable series to be axed because of the artist not getting enough food to live...

Edit: the thing is published by... KADOKAWA? Uhm, so still the calling to buy the comic holds.

Easiest way to buy it would be something like CDJapan if you want it physically or Kobo if you want it digitally.
Both accept foreign payment and CDJapan ships overseas.

Saying that, I think Kamejiro is a pessimist and it's not that at risk. But every little bit does help.

Also it's published by Dengeki Comics Next, which is a subsidiary of Kadokawa, who control like half the manga industry. New chapters are digital only which is both a blessing and a curse, but Kamejiro did say simply getting physical volume releases was a milestone of success that wasn't guaranteed at first.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

I'm not feeling the best so I'm just going to be open.

I don't want this manga to get axed. That would probably be the end of my career as a scanlator, because I don't have it in me to watch a 3rd series I'm passionate about translating from a passionate creator get cut short. So buy it. It's the whole reason why I do this, to give you the same opportunity the Japanese audience has. That includes the responsibility of supporting it.

I really don't know what to do about putting the twitter extras on Dynasty. I have a slight grasp of how things work here but I'm in the dark a lot more than you might think. I don't want the chapter list flooded with random art at least. So for the time being you can read them on Mangadex. It'll give you a slightly better understanding of chapter 12's newcomer.

I also tried getting the (significantly) higher quality volume 1 scans uploaded here, but it never went through. You can read that on Mangadex too.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

I'm not feeling the best so I'm just going to be open.

I don't want this manga to get axed. That would probably be the end of my career as a scanlator, because I don't have it in me to watch a 3rd series I'm passionate about translating from a passionate creator get cut short. So buy it. It's the whole reason why I do this, to give you the same opportunity the Japanese audience has. That includes the responsibility of supporting it.

I really don't know what to do about putting the twitter extras on Dynasty. I have a slight grasp of how things work here but I'm in the dark a lot more than you might think. I don't want the chapter list flooded with random art at least. So for the time being you can read them on Mangadex. It'll give you a slightly better understanding of chapter 12's newcomer.

I also tried getting the (significantly) higher quality volume 1 scans uploaded here, but it never went through. You can read that on Mangadex too.

Uploader here. Sorry about the volume 1 scans; I completely missed that in the upload request list and will be replacing the chapters now.

Regarding the twitter extras, I could just add those to the Twitter version series page. If you're worried about it cluttering the list I could just space them out from the rest of the chapters under a "Pre/Post-Serialiation Extras" header.

last edited at Dec 23, 2023 9:40PM

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

I'm kinda confused about Undine. It kidnaps and attacks Sara, and then continues harassing her and the princess, ostensibly because it knows Sara is holding the royal blade and sees her as a threat. But now it acknowledges that it always knew she was never a threat. So then why did it do anything in the first place? What is it trying to accomplish?

To reply you must either login or sign up.