Forum › Boyfriend Sometimes Girlfriend discussion

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I like the overall trajectory of the story so far, but the secret test of character with the amnesia tea was a bit off-putting. Why some people seem to think that emotional manipulation is a better gauge of character than open and honest communication is beyond me.

Looking forward to reading what qualities of masculinity Hodaka (particularly in respect to his relationship) values in himself so highly, he is willing to abandon his male body for them.

Trans people don't exist in gender bender stories lol

I genuinely wonder if these writers ever consider like, the fact that trans people exist. They at least acknowledged that gay people exist here cause they went "if a woman kisses someone of the opposite sex", so I guess gay women in her family don't gotta put up with any bullshit. But I've never seen them really acknowledge trans people existing in any real way, even though a LOT of gender bender media feels like wish fulfillment by trans people who are very deep in the closet.

I am pretty sure that this page was pretty unambiguous about the fact that Chihaya had assumed her father was a trans woman until recently. Even if it did not turn out to be the case, it seems to me that the "these writers" have considered and acknowledged the existence of trans folks. The fact that they chose not to write a story about trans characters was their creative decision to make.

last edited at Nov 30, 2023 5:12AM

Img_5033%204
joined Jan 18, 2021

I didn’t read the first chapter because I HATE het. But I went back. This is a keeper.

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

I like the overall trajectory of the story so far, but the secret test of character with the amnesia tea was a bit off-putting. Why some people seem to think that emotional manipulation is a better gauge of character than open and honest communication is beyond me.

They summed it up pretty well in this chapter, I feel. Open and honest communication is ideal, but the problem is that both of things require the good faith participation of all parties involved. A person who doesn’t want you to know something can lie, dodge questions, or just say whatever it is they feel you want to hear, and it’s not always easy to know when someone is doing that. When a person doesn’t think they’re being observed/tested, however, they tend to be a bit more honest. Thus, the secret test of character.

Granted, I’m not sure if such measures were necessary here, but it is a major family secret, so the paranoia and least makes sense from a story perspective. My question is what exactly they were planning to do if he failed the test. Like, were they planning on to give him a second cup of tea? He already thinks you poisoned the first cup, so why would he accept any other drinks?

joined Apr 5, 2021

Granted, I’m not sure if such measures were necessary here, but it is a major family secret, so the paranoia and least makes sense from a story perspective. My question is what exactly they were planning to do if he failed the test. Like, were they planning on to give him a second cup of tea? He already thinks you poisoned the first cup, so why would he accept any other drinks?

He'll forget everything in the last 72 hours so i doubt his consent matters, they could probably just pin him down and force it down his throat.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

He'll forget everything in the last 72 hours so i doubt his consent matters, they could probably just pin him down and force it down his throat.

A reasonable assumption. Which makes the denouement of the scene feel all the weirder, as Chihaya's old folks didn't even see it necessary to apologize.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

I'm really liking what I've seen from this manga so far and while I know this isn't going to happen (I am assuming I don't know spoilers) This kind of setup really does allow for a whole new level of relationship angst and drama with the way the change is completely temporary especially if Hodaka starts to get comfortable with being a girl.

Ichimatsu_kohina_11153
joined Jul 25, 2014

Okay but what if her brother kiss someone of the Same sex?! Maybe the men of the family are also cursed, but the actual effect of the curse is to turn men into women. They can't know if he's never tried.

Phone
joined Jul 23, 2020

NEW CHAPTER LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

joined Apr 10, 2023

Goddamn, that boy really said "I love you more than I love being cis". That's how you know it's real.

Edit: about the dad, there's a clear question and answer this chapter: "Will I be unable to change back at some point?" "There's no precedent to that". I think the implication is pretty clear that she embraced being a woman and Chihaya's parents are just making out all the time. She did say about the picture "Back when I was still a man" but that's the kind of language trans people use in manga to refer to themselves pre transition all the time.

last edited at Nov 30, 2023 11:55AM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I genuinely wonder if these writers ever consider like, the fact that trans people exist. They at least acknowledged that gay people exist here cause they went "if a woman kisses someone of the opposite sex", so I guess gay women in her family don't gotta put up with any bullshit. But I've never seen them really acknowledge trans people existing in any real way, even though a LOT of gender bender media feels like wish fulfillment by trans people who are very deep in the closet.

Zenbu Kimi no Sei is a genderbend series about people who's bodies change whenever their heart races, and it also includes at least 1 major trans side character who works at the cosplay cafe with them

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I'm really liking what I've seen from this manga so far and while I know this isn't going to happen (I am assuming I don't know spoilers) This kind of setup really does allow for a whole new level of relationship angst and drama with the way the change is completely temporary especially if Hodaka starts to get comfortable with being a girl.

Yeah I'm wondering how long it'll take us to reach ayakashi triangle levels of "I'm in love with them as a girl" or "I'm not ready to be your boyfriend but I can be your girlfriend" with this series too

Chimera
joined Aug 2, 2023

Okay but what if her brother kiss someone of the Same sex?! Maybe the men of the family are also cursed, but the actual effect of the curse is to turn men into women. They can't know if he's never tried.

Well, evidently Chihaya kissed her dad when she was small, so likely her brother did the same. Frankly, I just trust the folks 3 centuries of research ahead of me.

joined Aug 29, 2019

I didn’t read the first chapter because I HATE het. But I went back. This is a keeper.

I hadn't read the first chapter because het is just so vanilla and it's 80 pages. Fortunately, I took Ch2's release to change that.
This is a keeper indeed.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Or maybe the entire amnesia tea thing is bullshit and they were just messing with the guy.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

"Curse" my ass, who wouldn't want a girlfriend that turns you into a girl with a kiss?

joined Apr 10, 2023

Zenbu Kimi no Sei is a genderbend series about people who's bodies change whenever their heart races, and it also includes at least 1 major trans side character who works at the cosplay cafe with them

Tried this manga out and almost dropped it right away due to the prurient gaze feeling of it, but it got better pretty quickly. I like how they explore all four permutations of the main couple, and I loved the arc with the lesbian grappling with being in love with the straight trans man and choosing to respect him over her romantic interest.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

I wasn't joking about the estrogen = love metaphor btw, quite a few girlies I've spoken to have described going on estrogen as something similar to how Hodaka described how beautiful the world is to him now.

I didn't realize I was depressed until that veil got lifted, then suddenly life felt worth living for the first time I could recall. And while the setup makes it sound like Hodaka may not have been depressed, the ennui described is comparable.

Well it's definitely not a scene that's meant to hammer in how in love he is, love has never made people smuldgy about how wonderful the world is

Do you not know what an allegory is?
If anything, the fact that it's love literally/textually doubles down on the genderqueer interpretation - the love leads to kissing, which is what changes Hodaka's body.

joined Oct 2, 2021

I'm in love with Chihayas dad.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

If anything, the fact that it's love literally/textually doubles down on the genderqueer interpretation - the love leads to kissing, which is what changes Hodaka's body.

That would be the reverse order of what you guys are on about, you don't get the effect before you eat the medicine

Either way it's clearly a forced fantasy to think of the story in that light, people are allowed to have their head cannons but don't push them like that

last edited at Nov 30, 2023 4:32PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I like it so far, but I think the writing isn't quite as good as it could be. The effort is being made, but it's not entirely convincing to me in all the details.

Still, will be interesting to see what they get up to.

... for once I think I actually want a love rival. Not for the girlfriend though; but for female-boyfriend. That might be fun (yeah, nothing entirely new either; but still).

joined Apr 10, 2023

That would be the reverse order of what you guys are on about, you don't get the effect before you eat the medicine

Either way it's clearly a forced fantasy to think of the story in that light, people are allowed to have their head cannons but don't push them like that

Nobody's "forcing" or "pushing" anything lol, people are just discussing their reads on the fiction. A read that is probably intentional, there's more than enough factors to point at the magazine and the author to both be knowledgeable of the trans angle on genderbending stories and be interested in portraying that, since this manga is following up on Welcome Back Alice and started the next issue after that manga ended. Just because you don't see the points where these topics touch doesn't mean they're not there. Surely as English language reader of manga you should be familiar with the concept of differing cultural contexts that can cause things to come off differently for different readers, right?

2232-2
joined Nov 13, 2017

Completely understandable. I don't look at Dynasty Scans to see straight.

Ppp
joined Sep 6, 2018

i hope it's became permanent, lol

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

I'm confused.... Is her father permanently stuck as a woman? Or are her parents just making out all the time so it's always the case? Because they said there's no precedent for someone becoming stuck but the story seems to imply her father is unable to become a man again.

It was weird that he didn't want to go to parents day at Chihaya's school because he was a woman at the time... Like... If the curse lasts 24hours max can't you just NOT kiss your wife for a day?

joined Oct 2, 2021

I'm confused.... Is her father permanently stuck as a woman? Or are her parents just making out all the time so it's always the case? Because they said there's no precedent for someone becoming stuck but the story seems to imply her father is unable to become a man again.

It was weird that he didn't want to go to parents day at Chihaya's school because he was a woman at the time... Like... If the curse lasts 24hours max can't you just NOT kiss your wife for a day?

Maybe he wants to stay permanently as a woman now, so a kiss a day keeps the dick away¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

To reply you must either login or sign up.