Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

From what I remember, Chizuru nor Mao have seeing Koga in her "outside mode" right? So unless they do a group study in school (dk, a library or so), this could be a chance to that to happen~~ Interesting

last edited at Oct 24, 2023 10:44PM

joined Apr 10, 2023

"Aya is straight because she misunderstood Koga for a guy" is a hilarious take. She has literally the exact same discovery of her sexuality as the "shelter girl" from "Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl": "Oh I've never been attracted to a single guy my whole life, never even found them remotely interesting, but oh! There's this one specific guy I like, I finally found my type I guess! ... Oh my type is 'butch woman' and I am a homosexual. I get it now."

It frankly feels both incredibly rude to butch women to say other women liking them are just straight, and rude to Aya to assume she's too stupid to know what she likes. Remember when Koga came out to her at the school festival, just to say "let's be friends" and Aya was clearly crestfallen because that's not what she was hoping to hear? Despite knowing for quite a while who Koga was?

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Yes, we have the Yuri tag back. Many thanks to the admins/mods.

joined May 10, 2015

It frankly feels both incredibly rude to butch women to say other women liking them are just straight

And I agree with you, butch women and men are different things. But Aya didn't think that Mitsuki were a butch woman. She thought she was a man. When she realized that she is a girl she stopped considering a relationship, nothing changed about Mitsuki appearance or behavior. CH62 and Aya still deny she being her boyfriend to others by saying that she is a girl to people that thinks that Mitsuki is man. Mistake that she did, and many others do too.

and rude to Aya to assume she's too stupid to know what she likes.

I make no assumptions, I analise the story and create arguments based on evidence the story provides. Also, is not possible to be rude to a fictional character.

Please, don't call people rude. That's not an argument. Attack the argument not the person.

last edited at Oct 25, 2023 3:44PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

And I agree with you, butch women and men are different things. But Aya didn't think that Mitsuki were a butch woman. She thought she was a man. When she realized that she is a girl she stopped considering a relationship, nothing changed about Mitsuki appearance or behavior.

Well, in one sense it's true that Aya stopped considering a relationship because she hasn't come to terms with her sexuality. But I think it's absurd to suggest she's no longer attracted to Mitsuki. She constantly blushes and gets flustered around her, in practically every chapter. She got extremely jealous and insecure when Kanna showed up, and is visibly relieved after being told Kanna isn't Mitsuki's ex. She hesitates to call Mitsuki a "friend". And this isn't even mentioning the flash-forward where they're living together. I could go on, but you get the idea. She may not explicitly think to herself "I'm in love with Mitsuki," but there's every indication that she is in love, and almost no indication that her feelings are just platonic.

CH62 and Aya still deny she being her boyfriend to others by saying that she is a girl to people that thinks that Mitsuki is man. Mistake that she did, and many others do too.

"Someone tells the two leads they look like a couple and the leads loudly deny it while blushing" is one of the most common romcom cliches there is. If anything, it's further evidence that their relationship is romantic.

joined Apr 10, 2023

When she realized that she is a girl she stopped considering a relationship, nothing changed about Mitsuki appearance or behavior.

Uhhhh when exactly did this happen?? I'm pretty sure it did not happen lol. Aya got mad at Koga for a while for sharing her secret with that guy and not her, but there's zero indication she ever dropped a romantic interest in Koga, because Aya was not attracted to some conceptual fake "male form" she imagined, she was and is attracted to Koga, who remains the same sexy butch she's always been.

By the way, it's worth remembering there's absolutely nothing particularly masculine about the reasons Aya was first attracted to Koga:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_guy_she_was_interested_in_wasnt_a_guy_at_all_ch01#2

last edited at Oct 25, 2023 10:46PM

joined Mar 23, 2022

she really do know the wae to her crush's heart, well through her music playlist it is. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I just can't read the words "motivation button" without remembering this. :D

joined May 10, 2015

Aya got mad at Koga for a while for sharing her secret with that guy and not her

No. She got mad at Mitsuki because she found the playlist she sent to "Onii-san" on her phone. However, she thought it wasn't worth getting mad at that because she found someone who shared her passion for music. She found other reasons to be close to Mitsuki.

By the way, it's worth remembering there's absolutely nothing particularly masculine about the reasons Aya was first attracted to Koga

Don't really matter why she was attracted. She was attracted from the very beginning, even before exchanging a single word with "him", while she thought she was a guy.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013
joined Apr 10, 2023

Aya got mad at Koga for a while for sharing her secret with that guy and not her

No. She got mad at Mitsuki because she found the playlist she sent to "Onii-san" on her phone. However, she thought it wasn't worth getting mad at that because she found someone who shared her passion for music. She found other reasons to be close to Mitsuki.

You're definitely misremembering lol. Finding the playlist is what confirmed to Aya that Mitsuki was the record shop clerk she'd been talking to, but she had suspicions building up to that point where she noticed similarities, specifically features Mitsuki has that she found attractive about "onii-san", such as in chapters 14 and 17. She discovered the playlist in chapter 18 and is overwhelmed by the revelation, but is back to smiling at Mitsuki being really cool for her in chapter 19. She's only mad after she overhears Mitsuki and that guy talking specifically about this secret in chapter 21, thinking "why can you tell it to that guy and not me?"

While someone could force a straight reading onto this like some kind of disgusting hetero, that doesn't mean anyone else has to go along with it and treat that reading as valid, lol. Especially not when the continuing story has made it clear Aya still likes her, the extras showing they'll eventually be together in the future, and the artist's twitter media tab being 100% sapphic content.

Cdc4f8204600edbf52fb0f34f39b246a~2
joined Jun 27, 2018

Well thats a new song to go listen too

joined Nov 21, 2022

But Aya didn't think that Mitsuki were a butch woman. She thought she was a man. When she realized that she is a girl she stopped considering a relationship, nothing changed about Mitsuki appearance or behavior.

I'd quibble with that. Aya still thinks of Misuki as "my crush."

I'm thinking that Aya may be more pan than lesbian or bi.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I just can't read the words "motivation button" without remembering this. :D

You and me both—I literally envisioned Koga’s “motivation button” that way as soon as I saw the title.

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I love that she's getting so comfortable around the other girls. It just makes me happy that she's getting more friends.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

“You can’t fool Chizuru”? About Mitsuki? Who is connected with a record store (Chizuru went to), and had an angsty mix-up with Aya about a pair of concert tickets, and has a cool style? Chizuru still seems to be fooled about the two highly-compatible music geeks and their respective crushes.

I wish “fool” had a wider connotation in that closing sentence, considering Chizuru has plenty of clues now. It’d be a clumsy spot for exposition though.

Bitter_Yuri_Reader
B54b9b73acf116a04cdf291380171b8e
joined May 2, 2018

Okay I absolutely love this manga, the art is top tier, the characters are super charming and it just brings me so much joy every time it updates, but I do gotta admit the pacing could use some work. Maybe it is because of the chapter length? It feels a bit stale lately, I just think it is because there haven’t been any new developments between the main two and I don’t mean just romantically but in general. I’d love to see the author explore the relationship between the two mains on a deeper level and how the possibility of Mitsuki moving overseas might affect them. I’d also love to see more of Mitsuki’s thoughts and feelings, I feel like we’ve only been getting Aya’s input lately. But then again, I still really enjoy the series regardless

joined May 10, 2015

While someone could force a straight reading onto this like some kind of disgusting hetero

Dude, please. No prejudice here. If you are unable to maintain a polite discussion it ends here.

joined Feb 24, 2023

Hmm Koga having undiagnosed autism as she can only care about her hyper fixations tracks pretty well actually

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

With regards to the straight vs butch crush thing, one thing I’ll say is that you don’t have to know that person isn’t a man to be attracted to them—often it’s something about the way they move, and act, and inhabit space, that’s sort of instinctually alluring. You can pick up and respond to things about someone’s gender without consciously recognize them.

For example, I have a few strictly lesbian acquaintances IRL who have been really confused and kind of distressed about being attracted to specific men, only for those “men” to later turn out to be trans women. And for my own part, if you show me a picture of a butch, 9 times out of 10 I won’t really feel anything—but if you put us in the same physical space, ho boy do I have a reaction. It’s about the energy, their voice, the way they move and talk—that’s what I respond to.

So it makes total sense to me that Aya is picking up stuff like that from Mitsuki. Consciously she might think, she’s so cool and handsome, what else can she be but a man? But the v i b e s are like “ohhhh wow this person is so attractive.” And then that leaves you with, “I guess I’m just attracted to this one specific man.”

I’m not sure if I’m expressing myself in a way that makes sense, but I hope that gets my point across. I find the premise of Aya’s attraction very plausible. I just wish they’d make some progress…

joined Apr 10, 2023

For example, I have a few strictly lesbian acquaintances IRL who have been really confused and kind of distressed about being attracted to specific men, only for those “men” to later turn out to be trans women.

This seems really common. Basically all the trans lesbians I know irl, if they had relationships before coming out, it was with "straight" or "bi" women who later settled on being lesbians. And quite a few of the lesbians I know have experiences with "guys" who were secretly eggs lol.
I think it's a similar phenomon as a close group of "normal" friends in school where everyone thinks everyone else is straight and then one person comes out of the closet and suddenly "oh wow we were all queers of some sort huh!" It's why I find yuri comics where basically everyone is some sort of gay as more realistic feeling than when it's two queers floating alone in the hostile waters of heterosexuality. It happens, for sure, but it's just less relatable to me compared to the former scenario lol.

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Feeling guilty about accepting help, even though it's freely given... yeah, I know that one.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Being loved and cared for when you don’t expect to be loved or cared for is painful too.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Good job!

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

For example, I have a few strictly lesbian acquaintances IRL who have been really confused and kind of distressed about being attracted to specific men, only for those “men” to later turn out to be trans women.

Back in highschool, I dated an outspoken lesbian who rather bluntly told me that she wanted to date me as an experiment to see if she was bi... She was the first person IRL that I came out to as a transwoman.

We eventually broke up because I was in no mental state to be a relationship (cyclical anxiety and depression is not a fun time) and I was also realizing that I'm ace, so uh... compatibility issues. But we remained really good friends. In hindsight, I really needed an assertive extroverted friend to drag me around to things I wanted to do, but was too afraid or defeatist to do. She knew just how hard to push.

...I lost contact with her after highschool when she shipped out with the national guard. One of the biggest regrets of my life.

To reply you must either login or sign up.