Forum › Throw Away the Suit Together discussion

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

According to the author's twitter, the series is skipping this month's issue of Yuri Hime and ending next chapter.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

and ending next chapter.

Did not see that one coming with where we are in the story right now...

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Three volumes is the standard length for axed series so I fear that's what's happening.

joined Feb 1, 2021

Damn, that sucks. This seemed to me like one of those series that really benefited from having room to stretch out and breathe, I wanted to be in for the long haul.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

According to the author's twitter, the series is skipping this month's issue of Yuri Hime and ending next chapter.

Welp, I hope the last chapter is a flash-forward to five years later where the girls are married and renovating the old house together. Because otherwise, the series will be extremely bleak, considering the overall emotional arc of it.

youdontknowwho
Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

Three volumes is the standard length for axed series so I fear that's what's happening.

It won't be even enough to fill the third volume unless last chapter has 40+ pages. This is way too abrupt. Feels more like a downright cancellation rather than just premature ending.

last edited at Jun 17, 2023 9:18AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

unless last chapter has 40+ pages.

Would not be surprising at all, looking at the chapter lengths so far. Especially if it skips a month as well.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

Especially if it skips a month as well.

Frankly it's been skipping a lot of months. Around the start of volume 3 there was a 4 month hiatus with no explanation given, and it's skipped months 2 more times since then. All of these were unannounced. During the hiatus, it was listed as returning every month and never did. It's clear there were some kind of production troubles. But that alone isn't enough for Yuri Hime to axe a manga. Chasing Spica for example has had an incredibly spotty attendance rate from the 1st volume, to the point YH almost suspended its publication; still only a temporary measure.

It's also uncommon to announce the final chapter 1 chapter in advance. And it should be noted Throw Away the Suit Together did get reprinted, which confirms it was selling above expectations, so that's confusing too. If it's because it was getting too depressing, surely YH's editors would have checked over the direction it was going, and YH isn't averse to publishing bleak manga these days either. The premise simply leads itself to ups and downs; there's no reason to think these girls wouldn't pull themselves back up and find happiness again. It's all a big mystery we'll probably never understand. This certainly isn't the way it was planned to end, not just narratively but thematically. The story's always been a reflection of the author's state of mind. I'm afraid the ending's going to be as dark as Keyyan's likely feeling.

joined Jun 19, 2023

Especially if it skips a month as well.

Frankly it's been skipping a lot of months. Around the start of volume 3 there was a 4 month hiatus with no explanation given, and it's skipped months 2 more times since then. All of these were unannounced. During the hiatus, it was listed as returning every month and never did. It's clear there were some kind of production troubles. But that alone isn't enough for Yuri Hime to axe a manga. Chasing Spica for example has had an incredibly spotty attendance rate from the 1st volume, to the point YH almost suspended its publication; still only a temporary measure.

It's also uncommon to announce the final chapter 1 chapter in advance. And it should be noted Throw Away the Suit Together did get reprinted, which confirms it was selling above expectations, so that's confusing too. If it's because it was getting too depressing, surely YH's editors would have checked over the direction it was going, and YH isn't averse to publishing bleak manga these days either. The premise simply leads itself to ups and downs; there's no reason to think these girls wouldn't pull themselves back up and find happiness again. It's all a big mystery we'll probably never understand. This certainly isn't the way it was planned to end, not just narratively but thematically. The story's always been a reflection of the author's state of mind. I'm afraid the ending's going to be as dark as Keyyan's likely feeling.

The axe is probably due to a disagreement with her editor.
She's been skipping issues while working on another manga (which was the main cause of the long hiatus after volume 2), and last month was skipped because of her working on an anthology (which I recommend because her chapter is easily the best one).
It's obvious she has taken on these side projects because KimiShira doesn't sell enough for her to survive, the thing is that she has been doing work for companies that are not Ichinjinsha which probably irked the editorial staff and caused some conflicts between them, which led to the sudden axe of the manga.
It's especially sudden considering it was very likely planned to end with volume 4, so even if it didn't sell a lot, there was no reason to axe it.
After that, I doubt Keyyan will ever work with Ichijinsha again, and that's probably for the best because that company stinks.
It reminds me of Kuzushiro situation, where she subtly said she never wanted to be published in Yuri Hime ever again.
Honestly, it's probably a very painful situation for her, who literally quit her job to dedicate all of her energy to it, and for me, who started reading Yuri Hime for it...
I am also concerned about how it'll end because of the circumstances of its end... might have to get prepared for a very bleak conclusion...

And They Were Roommates
E3fwhq4xeagjxjd
joined Apr 17, 2023

I can definitely see this comic turning into like Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko or some other iyashikei story like that, where
they spend the rest of their lives there happy and peaceful.

welp so much for that

joined Mar 16, 2023

Well, raws are out... Only seen the panels, and that last page... Well I hope it's not what I think it can mean, because whoa would that be as bleak as it gets...

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Seven Seas Licenses Throw Away the Suit Together
https://sevenseasentertainment.com/2023/07/12/seven-seas-licenses-kimi-to-shiranai-natsu-ni-naru-yuri-girls-love-manga-series/?mc_cid=fc98031218&mc_eid=37bdbd1b6f

Should have done so sooner, maybe it would have helped it escape the axe.

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

They stay together and are clearly in a better place mentally by the end, and that's a good thing, but I can't help but feel the ending is a massive bummer. I mean, it's called "Throw Away the Suit Together", and the final page is the two of them in suits. They've given up on their dream. Life has beaten them.

Though there is a certain beauty in how life may have beaten them, but it didn't break them, and they're staying together and doing their best going forward. But still, mega bummer, in part because of how real it feels.

Here's hoping we'll get volume extras that put a bit more of a silver lining on things. Like at least show they eventually find work, at decent companies. Also, this is probably just because I'm a weirdo, but ever since I saw the villa on the island in the early chapters, I thought it would look lovely with a nice garden around it and I'm sad it'll now never get one.

2c22ae80-e357-4d63-9b1d-94a62c543423
joined Aug 8, 2022

I don’t want to speculate on what happened behind the scenes, but I think this is the best we could have gotten for a final chapter given the circumstances. It’s heartwrenching, but I’m happy it ended with their heads held high despite everything.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Though there is a certain beauty in how life may have beaten them, but it didn't break them, and they're staying together and doing their best going forward. But still, mega bummer, in part because of how real it feels.

Yeah. I felt this was the ending they were moving towards for a while but it's happening so suddenly, which messes with the pacing. "Throwing away the suit" felt like an unattainable goal for this manga, with the kind of narrative structure and writing style it had, so I kind of expected a more bittersweet ending like this--just a while away. Unfortunate but not terrible given the circumstances.

Still a rare, more down-to-earth story about more than just getting together. They ended up happy and educated by their experiences so their future should be fine. A relationship that can stand the real-world stresses they've been under is stronger than most of the other manga I've read recently (and probably stronger than most real-world relationships as well).

last edited at Aug 4, 2023 8:35PM

4b70c0a3-5927-441e-942b-53e31052f7f7
joined Mar 3, 2023

Unfortunate that it ends here! Maybe this outcome was inevitable. May these two keep striving for their future together!

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

There's sadly plenty reason to believe this wasn't a natural conclusion. The frequent unexplained hiatuses, volume 3 ending a full chapter (40 pages) shorter than usual, the narrative undoing a few themes in the end (Naruko going from being an example of 'work being something you can love and not just suffer through,' to being an example of 'needing to work harder to even enjoy occasionally work' comes to mind, and seems depressingly like Keyyan speaking through the characters. A lot of this chapter felt like that.)

The fact that Suit has gotten reprints and officially licensed into English shows it was a financial success, and Yuri Hime isn't quick to end manga that disappear for a few months, so I really don't know what happened. I'm kind of tired of thinking about it.

I really cherish this manga. Haru and Hinoto have such a raw, grounded relationship the likes of which are rarely found—they share all their best and worst together with unshakable faithfulness, and a casual intimacy in every quiet moment that leaves no question to the depths of their love. It was never scared to confront real, uncomfortable issues yet the strength of the romance kept you hopeful. The drama was purely external while the yuri remained a constant source of comfort—an example many writers could learn from. If Keyyan feels like making another serialized yuri manga after this, I'd very much look forward to it. Though I don't think I'd have the heart to translate it.

Volume 3 releases in September, and the usual bonus chapter might be quite a bit longer to make up for the shortened page count. It's no guarantee, but there's possibly a still happier ending on the horizon. Though in the greater context of Keyyan's situation I think this was about the best ending we could hope for.

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

No lover's suicide ending, boo.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

I'm OK with this ending. They may not have had the fairytale ending, but being together (even with the hard times) is MUCH better than them drifting apart.

They loved each other more than they feared failure.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This ending did not seem like where this story was heading when it started out.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

This can't have been easy to work on. I think that if this final chapter had been spread out over 3-4 chapters at least it would have felt a little bit less abrupt, and I think the story deserved better.

Obviously not at the expense of the author's well-being though. I'd rather have the abrupt ending than nobody get one at all.

Eefgrstrsvw
joined Nov 15, 2016

damn, I was expecting more.
but at least it's not a bad ending.

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

with all the social anxiety this manga gave me all along, and the way this chapter was going I was really afraid they were going to die, so having them in a suit at the end already seemed better than the tragic i was imagined for these last pages, but they've given up their dream to enter this working life that can be so hard to endure, I hope for bonuses where we'll see them again in the future maybe they'll finally manage to get married.
A very good series in any case, too bad it was axed, there was so much more to tell.

To reply you must either login or sign up.