Forum › My New Friend Wasn't What I Expected discussion

runrin Staff
Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

this is super cute i love the art! can't wait for more!

last edited at May 17, 2023 7:45PM

joined May 10, 2021

I don't know how I missed the previous chapter of this, but man this is great!
Thanks for the translation!

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

This just made my favorites list.

Ushi-nooo
joined Aug 20, 2014

This is so cute!

joined Jul 31, 2022

"The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" vibes and I am loving it!

joined Dec 18, 2016

this and that arai sumiko manga awakens something in me.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

"The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" vibes and I am loving it!

"The Maiden She Was Interested In Wasn't A Maiden At All".

LETS' GO ROCKERS!

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

A smooth Mishima has appeared

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

The character Mishima is obviously inspired in whatshername from "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" series. Y'know, the record store girl who likes rock and looks like a guy.

But that's totally 100% not a gyaru.

Mishima's casual look can be called rocker style, grunge style, ghetto style, soft butch style, oh, lotta things—but she's nothing like a gyaru.

joined Feb 1, 2021

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

The character Mishima is obviously inspired in whatshername from "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" series. Y'know, the record store girl who likes rock and looks like a guy.

Mishima's casual look can be called rocker style, grunge style, ghetto style, soft butch style, oh, lotta things—but she's nothing like a gyaru.

Could be referring to the POV character instead (I skimmed the first four chapters and couldn't find her name, lol)

But I don't know how exactly the mods decide that you've earn your gyaru merit badge anyhow, so I'll leave it to someone else to figure out.

last edited at May 17, 2023 2:37PM

the_honeybee
20221231_135046
joined Dec 1, 2022

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

Maybe they are just similar. I don't know which story came out earlier and if the authors even read them

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

Taking Wikipedia for its' wisdom,it can easily be said that she is a gal who is using fashion that isn't the norm of a prim and proper housewife.

It's absolute stretch to say she isn't one at all.

joined Dec 13, 2020

The Gyaru tag is wrong.

Taking Wikipedia for its' wisdom,it can easily be said that she is a gal who is using fashion that isn't the norm of a prim and proper housewife.

It's absolute stretch to say she isn't one at all.

Taking Google for its' wisdom, or any Gyaru fashion magazine ever published, it can easily be seen that gyaru are about hyperfeminine looks and roles.
It should be easy to understand if you look at "The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All" as an example. Aya is a gyaru. Her circle of friends at school are gyaru. Mitsuki? Polar opposite of a gyaru, both as a school nerd and as a hunky 'oniisan'.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Dia%20mezashi
joined Dec 5, 2014

Cute.

I'd argue that she presents somewhat gyaru at school, but I don't think it warrants the tag. I think of tags' purposes either as warning folks away who don't want that type of content - likely not the purpose of this tag - or of letting folks find things they might be interested in - and I think someone looking specifically for gyarus would be disappointed in that regard for this.

joined Apr 10, 2021

I think of tags' purposes either as warning folks away who don't want that type of content -

the purpose of the tags on this site in this regard is to call all those who hate the tag into the comment section to tell how bad it is and how bad everyone is for reading.

joined Mar 20, 2012

Very cute, like the art style too. I just want the protag to drink some coffee so she can open her eyes xD

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

I remember when the Punk Rock Girl was a staple of yuri. We're currently in a Punk Rock Girl renaissance and I'm here for it.

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

I think of tags' purposes either as warning folks away who don't want that type of content -

the purpose of the tags on this site in this regard is to call all those who hate the tag into the comment section to tell how bad it is and how bad everyone is for reading.

That's so cynical and pessimistic.

You're absolutely right. :/

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Love this one. Great artwork and a cute storyline (so far)

Armageddon11
joined Jul 26, 2016

This is great, can't wait for more!

9286787ab50153acb27cd03b385edb3d949d719e0b569799723637ee189d1f4b_1-1
joined Aug 14, 2020

Cute. Definitely keeping up with this one.

03dcbc32-c6f1-466f-9b77-fffa79a101b1
joined Feb 27, 2022

very cute art and interactions

joined Sep 25, 2022

Huh, isn't this actually really good

BoobTwinkler
Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

...What sort of an absolute psychopath goes to watch a movie at 8:30 in the morning!?

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

It's amazing

To reply you must either login or sign up.