Forum › Shoujo Manga Protagonist x Rival-san discussion

Shihohon-min
joined Apr 16, 2022

It's so funny that the translation spree ended here when the true end of the story was so close, so I totally expected the frustrated reactions lmao

burst into tears when there werent any new chapters after 42, im boutta bawl my eyes out

145537335_456474152428619_7273272408325150170_n
joined Mar 13, 2020

I kind of get the feeling that people have been misunderstanding what this series is about from the very beginning. If you think of this as just a romance manga certainly it’s going to be frustrating to read.

I think of it as being like one of those art installations where someone rigs an existing type of machine to go through a pattern of surprising variations on its usual behavior.

So it’s really, really stupid—and I mean that in the best way possible.

Right? I pointed that out sometimes ago that it's just a silly funny gag manga, no need to take it seriously and some dude in this forum freaked out lmao.

Img-20230104-wa0002
joined Dec 16, 2022

I kind of get the feeling that people have been misunderstanding what this series is about from the very beginning. If you think of this as just a romance manga certainly it’s going to be frustrating to read.

I think of it as being like one of those art installations where someone rigs an existing type of machine to go through a pattern of surprising variations on its usual behavior.

I think why is like that is because the humor and comedy timing isn't as good as should be for a one-gag manga

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Man, their dynamic got totally reversed! I love it!
Also Mizushima suddenly becoming the character representing the audience is chef's kiss

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

Lol. She's finally starting to understand how Hiyama thinks!

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

He is just like me fr fr

And by chapter 34 those two have really reached idiot couple levels, I actually don't mind the misunderstanding because it reversed their dynamic and shows that Hiyama is a massive glass cannon.

last edited at Apr 29, 2023 6:32AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think why is like that is because the humor and comedy timing isn't as good as should be for a one-gag manga

But I don't get the impression it's trying to be traditional one-gag comedy manga either. Shifting my analogy slightly, it's like the output of those experimental musicians/performance artists who create an algorithm and let the program produce the musical output--some parts of the result are going to be more melodious or musically interesting than others.

I've been taking my cue about this series from the title--the starting premise was mismatching genres (a shoujo protagonist with a yuri antagonist) and it's always been mainly about ringing changes on tropes, and only secondarily about developing characters, so that when you plug in "reversal" you inherently get "progress." It's almost as if it came as a bit of a surprise to the author to realize that the plot could develop at all within the parameters they had set up.

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

But I don't get the impression it's trying to be traditional one-gag comedy manga either. Shifting my analogy slightly, it's like the output of those experimental musicians/performance artists who create an algorithm and let the program produce the musical output--some parts of the result are going to be more melodious or musically interesting than others.

I've been taking my cue about this series from the title--the starting premise was mismatching genres (a shoujo protagonist with a yuri antagonist) and it's always been mainly about ringing changes on tropes, and only secondarily about developing characters, so that when you plug in "reversal" you inherently get "progress." It's almost as if it came as a bit of a surprise to the author to realize that the plot could develop at all within the parameters they had set up.

I agree. Have to also remember that it basically developed twice. They likely had a more gag-focused start and then developed more onto it as they went along and also for the different releases that are mixed in etc. It started with two distinct character types--for the purpose of the comedy set-up--and has developed from that foundation quite a bit but it's still meant to be fun and taken in stride. I also wouldn't say its timing is off, as though the writer made an error. Maybe for some people that's the case (which is fair), but you can't please everyone. It's working (and worked) for a lot of people, so I'd say they've done something right by any reasonable artistic metric.

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 2:08PM

732535__safe_anthro_vinyl%20scratch_octavia_dj%20pon-dash-3_octavia%20melody_artist-colon-theyoungreaper1
joined Mar 14, 2016

I keep hitting next page and there is no next page.

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 2:12PM

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

I actually preferred it when it was just a one-gag manga. Now that the author is trying to develop the relationship a bit I can't help to notice they have very little chemistry and I don't dig the pairing.

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

I actually preferred it when it was just a one-gag manga. Now that the author is trying to develop the relationship a bit I can't help to notice they have very little chemistry and I don't dig the pairing.

Oh yeah? That's fair. Personally, I love their chemistry. They both are very eccentric and obsessive. I think it took a while for Kimura to break out of her shell but the more she does, the more she resembles Hiyama and the more she shows that she enjoys being "teased" (and more) but also even doing the teasing.

last edited at Apr 28, 2023 2:17PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Thanks for the chapter bomb. I'm enjoying the soft reversal, I don't mind the story dragging out the will-they/won't a bit in order to play with the new dynamic.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Mizushima has been thoroughly corrupted. :D

joined Jan 11, 2014

I kind of miss the braids on MC....she looked so cute...now she just looks really stereotypical

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

Mizushima has been thoroughly corrupted. :D

He's one of us now

joined Feb 20, 2023

Is it just me or has the art been getting better in later chapters?
Also the guy has gone from plot device to shipper-on-deck to now chaos-shipper. Sad to see our girls still misunderstanding each other but at least the guy is a little entertaining now.

joined Aug 1, 2022

Mizushima has become great now. I Welcome him to the Yuri Pit!

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

I'm really glad this batch of chapters came out the way they did. It's a gag manga, and I'm prepared to get baited, but I think I would've gotten upset halfway through this particular story arc.

RAAAAAAAAAHHHHH just tell her you like her already ......!!!!!? ygsug sbbhsbhshbbhygbduhnejjmkwmeijbduehvsujemei

3baa1ab64dd532b6adbdcf6b46497e76
joined Mar 25, 2015

Oh, I see, so Hiyama was the shoujo manga protagonist, and Kimura was the rival! It all makes sense now!

YuriOverdoseVictim
13821eeb-5210-41e8-bb9a-730437b15163
joined Mar 31, 2021

the art has improved so much since the beginning :,) It’s like watching a baby go from crawling to walking…truly beautiful :,))

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

Volume 4 is shaping up to be the crescendo of the series. Everything about it right now is perfect. Kimura is using the Shoujo manga trope of improving yourself for your love interest for the sake of yuri now. She understands her own feelings now and is starting to comprehend Hiyama's erratic thought patterns as well. I believe she already instinctively could tell Hiyama's true thoughts and wishes before, but now she is actively working with those assumptions... and succeeds.

Mizushima (finally elevated from boytoy status) has awakened to the yuridanshi side it appears. He has been more or less a plot device for most of the manga and a total doofus, but I'm now honestly glad for such a refreshing take on an eyesore role. He knows exactly where he stands and he just seems to enjoy when the people around him are happy. Playing wingman is clearly not his strong suit, but at least his straightforward honesty resolved a lot of issues.

There was a rough patch with all the misunderstanding drama and the world-shattering logical nonsense of Kimura thinking Hiyama would consider her weird for liking her (what happened to the last 30ish chapters of her confessing every day, Kimura you dolt?), but the moment she finally stopped deceiving herself things have only become positive. And even that very tedious drama was actually a really clever subversion of Shoujo manga tropes. Every line and set-up was so misleading on purpose. I think I have never appreciated how being dedicated to sticking to a Shoujo manga script while still totally being 100% yuri is quite amazing.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

You see in the covers the roles get reversed

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

You see in the covers the roles get reversed

Indeed the Volume 4 cover still has them in the kabedon position, but Hiyama is looking away shyly and Kimura confidently intercepted her hand and is weaving their fingers together. It is quite the nice contrast.

To reply you must either login or sign up.