Forum › A Girl That Vomits Fish discussion

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Who let Junji Ito write a yuri romance?

Not gonna lie, I feel like a Romance from Junji Ito would be pure gold. It'd be like the manga about his cats. Not a horror, but still horrifying at times cause he doesn't change his artstyle to reflect the genre change at all.

joined Feb 1, 2021

Well, you know the old saying. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to chronically vomit fish and... wait, what the fuck are you doing?

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

This mangaka had a dream to draw a full one shot centered around a girl who vomits fish, and by golly they DREW IT and we fuckin’ read it. Don’t let your dreams stay dreams, people! May we all be inspired by this story.

In all seriousness though what the fuck?

last edited at Jan 16, 2023 7:50PM

Screenshot_1644496801
joined May 20, 2018

I like the way she didn’t go for a kiss when MC said it was for the cure but immediate went for it when the MC said she loved her. True love indeed :D

Munch
joined Mar 23, 2021

ok

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

why does this have the same vibes as something by the chainsaw man guy

joined Aug 21, 2017

The fish are a metaphor for social anxiety

I think that was just the case for the big carp that dislocated her jaw. When she confessed, it was a different species, whose Japanese pronunciation was a pun on "kissing" (plus, the fish literally kissed as well). It seems the various fish species represent different emotional states, social anxiety being just one of them. Note that she says people started avoiding her because of the fish vomiting, there are no indications she was a social outcast or that she was particularly anxious before this point.

I read it as a metaphor for being queer. Once she started vomiting fish, as in once she came out, people starting avoiding her. Tsucchi stays with her because vomiting fish, or being queer, doesn't bother her. Myaako thinks she might be cured of her fish vomiting, or queerness, if she kisses the person she likes. And in the end, it's not something that can be cured.

See also "Still Sick" for another work that compares queerness and sickness.

Chillface2
joined Oct 23, 2021

What da fish doin

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

The fish are a metaphor for social anxiety

I think that was just the case for the big carp that dislocated her jaw. When she confessed, it was a different species, whose Japanese pronunciation was a pun on "kissing" (plus, the fish literally kissed as well). It seems the various fish species represent different emotional states, social anxiety being just one of them. Note that she says people started avoiding her because of the fish vomiting, there are no indications she was a social outcast or that she was particularly anxious before this point.

I read it as a metaphor for being queer. Once she started vomiting fish, as in once she came out, people starting avoiding her. Tsucchi stays with her because vomiting fish, or being queer, doesn't bother her. Myaako thinks she might be cured of her fish vomiting, or queerness, if she kisses the person she likes. And in the end, it's not something that can be cured.

See also "Still Sick" for another work that compares queerness and sickness.

That is also a good explanation, I like it. Though, now I am kind of wishing we are all wrong and the author just wrote is as a what-the-fuck, would be kind of funny. "Huh, people see all these layers in my fish vomiting doujin..."

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

That is also a good explanation, I like it. Though, now I am kind of wishing we are all wrong and the author just wrote is as a what-the-fuck, would be kind of funny. "Huh, people see all these layers in my fish vomiting doujin..."

I'm like 99% sure that's the case. The author probably saw that it could be interpreted any number of ways though and thought that was awesome

joined Nov 6, 2021

Guys just think about it, she kinda vomits the fish related to her feelings, so make her feel koi fish and then they're rich bc that fish is expensive af

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Guys just think about it, she kinda vomits the fish related to her feelings, so make her feel koi fish and then they're rich bc that fish is expensive af

That was actually my very first idea when I read the story. Fish in general can be pricey, and she can go somewhere inland where fresh fish needs refrigerated transport to even get there. She has no need for fishermen or for said transport, allowing her to undercut virtually all competition. The fish is still alive when she vomits it, and therefore fresh, and she vomits copious amounts as well. Basically, "free money" was my first impression.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Me, reading it: "Oh, it's like a metaphor for some kind of debilitating condition! That's quite beautifu-"

Author: "No, it's about vomiting up fish"

Me: "Aight then."

Jo
joined Jan 1, 2019

I mean, she won't go hungry and can sell them at market. "The freshest fish in town!"

As odd as this was it was honestly cute. (Let's face it, nothing shocks us anymore.)

Thumb-128070
joined May 3, 2022

Bro they prob need a mint 24/7 with that fish breath

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

who the fuck made this what the fuck

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

I like the story but the MC seemed kinda fishy

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

why does this have the same vibes as something by the chainsaw man guy

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I appreciate the amount of effort that went into this WTF-ery

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Sweet deal, she gets a girlfriend AND free food.

joined Aug 13, 2021

irl free gf glitch

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

So I was like okay, the fish and vomiting are probably a representation of being gay, and the story wasn't "what the fuck" for me, until the smelts flew into the air and kissed along with them. My jaw dropped wide open.

Gay%20cum
joined Jul 16, 2013

What a normal story with a normal premise

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Girl is single handedly solving Japan's overfishing problem.

This is way better than hanahaki disease. Never liked that trope.

So I was like okay, the fish and vomiting are probably a representation of being gay, and the story wasn't "what the fuck" for me, until the smelts flew into the air and kissed along with them. My jaw dropped wide open.

Same that was the only true wtf part of this story lmfao

joined Oct 2, 2021

Can she vomit up different species ? Can she do whales? Octopus?squid? So many questions.

last edited at Jan 17, 2023 8:08AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.