Forum › Virgins' Empire discussion

joined Jul 26, 2019

The mask language is somehow coded, subliminal. What's funny is to see kaoru try to decipher it and she almost succeeds. We feel that there is a certain feeling level understanding of the two personalities who know each other at the distant base, but instead of moving away, try on the contrary to get closer slowly but surely. . We feel the potential of this "couple", they have entered a game or they test themselves in their dialogues, pass messages in the tone of humor. To be continued!
And of course Kaoru is nostalgic for her former romantic relationship with Shizuka. She knows very well that it was ultimately a failure and her fault. But kaoru seems to be a person who wants to move forward despite failures.
It is far from being the heartless monster that some absolutely try to pass!

@Bishamon what ?Stay polite already the one who insults here is you! Funny coming from a person registered for 3 months and talking about a discussion from more than a year ago, weird. 9 posts you participate a lot said so, and you protect a person who has each chapter of kaoru, take it down for free! Why did I react? Because the two posts of the two incriminated comments are similar and as luck would have it, are both edited a few minutes apart.But I could be wrong possibly. Now if you have arguments other than kaoru is a wizard go for it! Because for the moment your interventions are not very developed.

last edited at Jan 4, 2023 9:39PM

Asakura.tooru.600.3305639
joined Dec 18, 2022

Despite the constant and obvious reference to sex appeal here, something actually makes it quite interesting...
I suppose I would like to see more of Ai. She seems like the kind of smart, self-reserved character who would make a good tomboy.
Also they need to have sex soon!!! All that boob groping has turned me up already

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Dont mind her. She hasnt sucked on a Maiden's...blood for a while.

20210727_225006
joined Dec 9, 2021

Mask sometimes gives this vibe,where ye just want to beg
"Yes,mommy!"
"No, mommy!"
"Sorry,mommy!"

themajoritylied
joined Dec 7, 2017

I really like the closure (or the beginning thereof, anyway) between Shizuka and Kaoru. I think that's a lot of what bothered me about these chapters, and about Kaoru in general. There was no closure, everything was all convoluted and just...icky feeling. Maybe it's just me being autistic, but I can't stand when things are all murky and people are deceitful. I'd rather everyone just be honest and straightforward (as opposed to hidden agendas and cryptic one-liners- the latter of which Kaoru is the master). It makes me tolerate both her and Mask a bit more, especially with Mask openly complimenting Shizuka and voicing her respect of her despite undoubtedly knowing something of their history (I'm sure that's what she really meant by saying she was afraid to go the same way as Shizuka). I always feel like Shizuka gets demonized while Kaoru gets the 'Draco in Leather Pants' treatment when if anything, it should be the opposite (though ideally people would just view them both realistically).

Also, apparently Ena doesn't know about them?? I mean I guess I can see it in her past interactions with them- I doubt someone like Ena would be able to act so casually around them otherwise, I feel like she'd be the type to constantly worry about whether they were getting along, trying to act as a shield between them, etc., but you have to imagine with Kaoru's reputation it would be hard NOT to know. But I wonder if she and Shizuka kept their relationship more behind closed doors. It kinda feels like they did- even though Kaoru treated Shizuka like she did, she clearly treats relationships very different than her flirting.

last edited at Jan 5, 2023 2:58PM

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

To cut to the chase, Bou-chan (the masked Mayoi Tokino) is as big a chuunibyou as Aiba Midori, but just carries it off better.

I like how the ships are resolving, so far.

Do any of them have names?

last edited at Jan 6, 2023 2:44AM

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

We updated the chapter a bit. Hope it's better now!

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

did i miss something it feels like mask totally changed how she regards kaoru out of no where

They interacted plenty, maybe you just missed those chapters? Their interactions are my favourite amongst all the pairings, so far Mask is the only person who turned out capable of bringing out a side of Kaoru that we do not normally see, blunt and dorky and almost childishly smug, often dropping the "gorgeous vamp" persona completely.

Mask too proved to be an exception, being apparently completely resilient to Kaoru's womanising ways and also giving as good as she gets when the two of them are trying to one-up each other. Watching them sarcastically spar and being smug when they think they scored over the other is a treat. And then there are moments where they have genuine heart-to-hearts.

Probably my favourite sequence with them is when Mask is doubting herself over her mangaka talents. In chapter 236 she actually goes to the library hoping to stumble upon Kaoru there, but does not find her. In the end she basically talks to herself while pretending to speak to Kaoru in what is essentially a moment of extreme emotional weakness - this was almost 30 chapters ago and is a pretty big indicator that Mask has positive feelings for Kaoru, even if she still verbally spars with her.

Then in chapter 249 they actually do end up having this conversation for real, after Kaoru catches Mask sleeping on the train and gets worried, accurately deducing the latter stayed up all night drawing manga, fuelled by her feelings of inferiority in regards to Onibi. Kaoru offers genuine praise, completely free of any seduction undertones, is blunt and even ends said praise by literally calling Mask an idiot. Mask, for her part, breaks down in tears.

Mask is also aware of Kaoru's reputation and nature (keep in mind that Mask is friends with Kaoru's sister), so if she decides to let Kaoru get close to her it will not be a decision made out of ignorance. I mean, in that same chapter 249, she actually decides to wait for Kaoru on the train station after the latter missed their stop and when the return train opens the doors to reveal that Kaoru passed the time on the ride back by flirting with some random grill, Mask gets instantly pissed and storms off.

Well, it doesn't help that Mask has a very peculiar way of speaking, reminiscent of very old Asian literature and characters

In Japanese she even uses a female pronoun from the Edo period. It is one of the reasons for why Shizuka considers her to be a weirdo, lol.

last edited at Jan 6, 2023 9:24AM

20210727_225006
joined Dec 9, 2021

To cut to the chase, Bou-chan (the masked Mayoi Tokino) is as big a chuunibyou as Aiba Midori, but just carries it off better.

I like how the ships are resolving, so far.

Do any of them have names?

So...like tadano, before he came to his senses with that "Project L" thing?

Or Omoharu nakanaka....well,she is slowly loosing it.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Quantum kiss? https://youtu.be/Bbq6dBPG9n4

Tsuki-chan posted:

We updated the chapter a bit. Hope it's better now!

Oh! IT IS thank you! hmmm somehow I thought even the meme in the credits would change, I'm too greedy

joined Dec 13, 2020

Is today's mini chapter a joke by Chads or the real deal? I feel that it could be both.

And why is the text backwards in the speech balloon? Was the electron tunneling experiment supposed to cause specular inversion?

last edited at Jan 6, 2023 10:02AM

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

The immaculate posted:

Imma be honest, I barely understood their conversation, but I guess some progress has been made?

Lol same… also when Kaoru says to Shizuka “I don’t know what to say” and Shizuka says “you’ve already said it” was Kaoru talking about Shizuka’s hair? And then Kaoru says “for sentimentality you’ll have to wait a bit longer”…. Wait for what?

Yeah lol I was totally confused

For how I saw it, what Shizuka meant is that Kaoru always said she liked her long hair, which means that she already knows how Kaoru feels about her haircut. For Kaoru's sentimantality, I think she means she will need some time to say a more honest (with herself) comment.
It is very obscure in japanese as well, we are trying to fix it too.

Ah ty ty… I thought I remembered Kaoru had a thing about Shizuka’s hair in the older chapters but I couldn’t find it… your explanation makes sense though… I always thought the language between Kaoru and Shizuoka had double meanings/a bit esoteric I’m just not on the same wave length to catch it haha…. Kaoru X Mask dialogue is almost on an entirely different level lol

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015
Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

H A U S posted:

Is today's mini chapter a joke by Chads or the real deal? I feel that it could be both.

And why is the text backwards in the speech balloon? Was the electron tunneling experiment supposed to cause specular inversion?

It's the real deal! the backward text was in the original too!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

This chapter cracked me up something fierce. It's always more of a shock when a normally naturalistic comic has a surreal moment.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

did i miss something it feels like mask totally changed how she regards kaoru out of no where

Wellll, she's always used an odd mixture of exaggerated, formalized and somewhat archaically phrased respect on one hand with rejection and scorn on the other. But the latter tends to mostly show up when Kaoru's coming on to her and/or seeming insincere. It's just that that's a lot of the time, so we don't often see how mask acts when Kaoru's not being a pain.

joined Aug 10, 2014

That credits page,why would you fix perfection

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

If I'm remembering right, most of the volume of any atom is empty space.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

If it interests anyone, here is the thought process from a physics professor reading this.

The tunneling effect is a quantum mechanical effect whereby the probabilistic wavefunction of a subatomic particle (especially electrons) may pass through an intervening barrier

(nods) Good, good....

Theoretically, since the atoms of a human body are mostly electrons by volume

(blinks) Wait, that's not really-

it should be possible for a person to pass through a solid object.

UM

Based on these facts Yamada Kaoru will now conduct an unprecedented experiment to personally demonstrate the tunneling effect. If successful, Kaoru will slip through Tokino without any harm. If it is not, the two will become fused together.

Oh okay, it's just an excuse to Tuvix somebody.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

If I'm remembering right, most of the volume of any atom is empty space.

it kind of depends, because electrons are weird, and become weirder when they're associated with an atom, and whether you can even consider them as having a "size" the way people are accustomed to thinking about the concept is dubious.

Particle physics is a trip and a half.

themajoritylied
joined Dec 7, 2017

LOVE the joke page- at least the Chads know what's up xD

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Mio's waiting to demonstrate passing a solid object. ( sharp pointy thing) thru a person ( Kaoru)

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

Tiran taran torin I'm lost.
Whatever this is referencing, I don't get it. I don't even get the credits page's joke. :/

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

^
Kaoru commenting on her hair:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/virgins_empire_ch198#6

thanks… wow… how could I forget such an iconic chapter… but I guess it has been almost three years… also wow can’t believe it’s been almost three years since Shizuka cut her hair lol…

Also wow can’t believe virgins’ empire is going on 13 years…

2cf46f4b-7fe0-40b6-8205-d03934ba2a1f
joined Sep 21, 2020

Kaoru, you doing alright? need a hug?

To reply you must either login or sign up.