Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

joined Jun 21, 2021

I really didn’t think the trailer looked all that bad, I feel like you guys are being a nitpicky. It didn’t blow me away in terms of animation or anything but my first thought definitely wasn’t that it looked rough

...why the fan translations always seem to still go with the Rei spelling. I only ask now because the official anime Twitter and even the author seem to consistently call her Rae in english

Rei is the way her name in katakana "レイ" is written in romaji. Romaji is used to show how Japanese words are pronounced. Just the official translation changed it because they wanted, and because it looks more "European"(cause the story takes place on somewhere that looks like Europe) and that's why the author used Rae cause it's the official used for Rei's name outside of Japan although if I were the author I would have requested to keep it as it is in the original.

You’re saying they just change it because they wanted, but is there really nothing in the text to suggest this? I only ask because basic text for the back of volume 1 machine translates the characters name as “Rei” at first, and then “Ray” in the game

Not that I’m saying machine translations are very accurate, it just caught my eye that it picks up on something to cause two different spellings, do you know why it would do that?

Oohashi Rei is written in kanji while Rei Taylor is written in katakana. They wanted to convey the difference and chose the worst spelling to do it with.
Rei is definitely the better pick, you lose nuance but at least it doesn't make me puke like fucking Rae. Ray also works

Seems a bit over dramatic but thank you for at least explaining it to me, I knew there had to be something there more than “they wanted to”

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 6:47AM

joined Jan 6, 2017

Seems a bit over dramatic but thank you for at least explaining it to me, I knew there had to be something there more than “they wanted to”

Over dramatic is my middle name. No, but I genuinely hate Rae because it does not look anything like how it's pronounced. Whenever I see people calling Rei that I read it as Raé (like Caesar in the Latin pronunciation) or less often Ree (like Caesar in the English pronunciation)

joined Oct 20, 2019

Over dramatic is my middle name. No, but I genuinely hate Rae because it does not look anything like how it's pronounced. Whenever I see people calling Rei that I read it as Raé (like Caesar in the Latin pronunciation) or less often Ree (like Caesar in the English pronunciation)

As the Italian translator I'm with you on this one... I can't get over Rae. The first time I read it I couldn't understand why they did that. Rei all they way

joined Jun 21, 2021

Honestly when I read through my physical copies I didnt even consider there would be any meaningful difference in pronunciation between Rei, Rae, or even Ray. English is full of so many homophones it didnt even phase me lol. But I admit even when first starting the series and reading the unoffical stuff I wasnt aggressively making sure I always read Rei with the more accurate japanese pronuciation.

I still hold that this series wouldn't work as an anime. The manga already loses a lot of what made the novel work by taking out the internal monologue and the biased POV

doesnt this kinda apply for pretty much any book adaptation? I cant remember a single time off the top of my head where I watched a show or movie of a book and didnt feel like something was lost because we werent in our leads head as much

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 7:50AM

joined Jan 6, 2017

I still hold that this series wouldn't work as an anime. The manga already loses a lot of what made the novel work by taking out the internal monologue and the biased POV

doesnt this kinda apply for pretty much any book adaptation? I cant remember a single time off the top of my head where I watched a show or movie of a book and didnt feel like something was lost because we werent in our leads head as much

Not really. There are some stories that utilise the narration in such a biased way whilst others don't. I'm not simply saying "lack of narration", rather a lack of a specific type of biased internal monologue providing commentary on things in a specific way.

And if you want a great example of losing something just take a look at Otherside Picnic, it's anime adaptation is terrible and one of the big reasons behind that is the lack of Sorawo's biased internal monologue

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Oh I thought the trailer looked nice enough too, or like, As long as Claire looks consistently good and funny, that's enough for me... They can reduce the budget and frames when it comes to the princes.

But my God, I hope the climax isn't with Manaria leave that for an hypothetical beginning of the season 2, so people can have more episodes to clean the bitter aftertaste.

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 9:04AM

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

But my God, I hope the climax isn't with Manaria

I'd expect them to do the entire Kingdom arc?

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

Holy shit its actually happening!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hylarn posted:

I think "I won't say goodbye" could be a good end for a 12 episode anime, that's 20 manga episodes

joined Feb 11, 2022

Hylarn posted:

I think "I won't say goodbye" could be a good end for a 12 episode anime, that's 20 manga episodes

I'd say it's highly unlikely that only the first novel will be adapted.

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 10:28AM

joined Jun 3, 2020

Hylarn posted:

Why? It took four manga volumes to cover Volume 1, and Volume 2 is a bit longer. If they tried to cover both volumes it would be a super rushed anime. People seem to forget that A) The volumes of this LN are pretty big and B) The very dry and "straight to the point" writing style means there is more story to adapt in 10 pages here than in 10 pages of your usual LN.

joined Feb 11, 2022

Hylarn posted:

Why? It took four manga volumes to cover Volume 1, and Volume 2 is a bit longer. If they tried to cover both volumes it would be a super rushed anime. People seem to forget that A) The volumes of this LN are pretty big and B) The very dry and "straight to the point" writing style means there is more story to adapt in 10 pages here than in 10 pages of your usual LN.

The average number of novels adapted in a season is three, maybe even four (you can search for examples). That would be impossible here, since the third novel is the beginning of a completely different Arc, but I'd say that it would the right decision to adapt the two novels completely, since the chances of a second season are very low.

joined Oct 20, 2019

Hylarn posted:

I also think they're going to adapt till there

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Kabu- posted:

Hylarn posted:

The average number of novels adapted in a season is three, maybe even four (you can search for examples). That would be impossible here, since the third novel is the beginning of a completely different Arc, but I'd say that it would the right decision to adapt the two novels completely, since the chances of a second season are very low.

Hmmm then the way I see it, we have 1 novel vol adapted properly (and there's enough material for that as proved with the manga) or 2 vols rushed tremendously... I don't like the second option, it might even affect the way I enjoy the manga with it's current pace.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Scandalous. Rae is short for Rachel, and so is commonly pronounced the same as "ray." Which is how Rei is pronounced in dubbed anime.

The real sleeper issue? Rae is short for Rachel, which is not Rei's name at all.

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

What about Lei?

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Yeah I see two volumes. Also for the person dropping, you're missing like when it gets really really good

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

I think it's kinda funny how most of the western fandom hates manaria while the japanese fandom loves her

joined Jun 21, 2021

Scandalous. Rae is short for Rachel, and so is commonly pronounced the same as "ray." Which is how Rei is pronounced in dubbed anime.

The real sleeper issue? Rae is short for Rachel, which is not Rei's name at all.

I don’t think it’s exclusively short for Rachel

Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

Can't say I'm impressed with the PV and the anime art style. It just looks cheap to me. But better than nothing I guess.

leave that for an hypothetical beginning of the season 2

I like your optimism.

joined May 24, 2014

The tráiler got 100,000 views. That's a good start.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Is there anyone else whose favourite so far is the spin-off light novel, Heimin no Kuse ni Namaiki na! or "She's just a commoner, but so insolent!" which is the story told from Claire's point of view?

I probably wouldn't love it so much if I hadn't read the main story, but ....

[Yui and Ritsu] Moe, moe, moe .... KYUN!!

One warning though, Claire's two friends, Loretta and Pipi, whom you really grow to like quickly, are actually kind of crazy noble bigots, although it's probably because they misunderstand Claire and think that's what she wants.. She actually distances herself from them starting right away once Rei enters her awareness There's a definite shock about two of the characters.

last edited at Jan 22, 2023 12:03PM

joined Sep 4, 2016

For anyone still following this story, its been translated up to Ch. 28 at Mangadex.

joined Oct 20, 2019

Hi, I posted ch 28 and 29 on Mangadex. I tried on here too and sent the request to update but nothing changed, I don't know, sorry.

joined Jan 14, 2020

For anyone still following this story, its been translated up to Ch. 28 at Mangadex.

Thank you!

To reply you must either login or sign up.